Moving to Texas - [Request for clothes, car window tint] recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CaptainKash

Moving to Texas - [Request for clothes, car window tint] recommendations

Post by CaptainKash » Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am

Hello, Bogleheads. I am a long-time lurker, and recently decided to create an account. Along with the investing advice and education, I really enjoy some of the product recommendations and reviews as well - cars, airlines, shoes, mattresses... everything. This post is in that category.

I'm a 29-year-old professional making a career/personal move to the DFW Metroplex. I lived there when I was a kid for a short time and have a lot of family there, so it is a familiar area. I have experienced the summers, having lived through one, but it's been a long time. Currently, I am employed at a company in the Midwest that has everyone from the CEO to the line workers wearing the same uniform. It's been convenient for many years, but now I will have to start building my professional wardrobe - shirts, shoes, pants (sport coats?). Given my age and the new climate, I am looking for some recommendations on what is most comfortable for those of you who work in arid, warmer climates. Fridays there are pretty chill on the wardrobe front, but a typical office clothing environment otherwise. I'm wondering if there are ideal or "cool" materials for dress clothes out there, as well as some comfortable but nice-looking shoes. I haven't had to buy these sorts of clothes often, so I need to up my game.

The second item is regarding window tint for the car (2018 Honda Accord). I want to get some recommendations on the best places to get this done, what materials to use, and how much to expect for cost - and if it's even worth it.

Re: Moving to Texas - [Request for clothes, car window tint] recommendations

Post by 123 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am

CaptainKash wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:35 am
...The second item is regarding window tint for the car (2018 Honda Accord). I want to get some recommendations on the best places to get this done, what materials to use, and how much to expect for cost - and if it's even worth it.
From what I've seen in Texas you'll fit in better if you trade the Accord for a pickup and have a gun rack installed that is visible through the rear window.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 am

Window tint is an absolute must and just about every car shop on every corner installs it. Probably looking at 100-150 bucks. Dealers here really don't even sell cars w/o it and whenever I see a car w/o tint it is shocking to see, like something is wrong with the car lol.

Most business casual people have moved to golf pants and shirts in the summer to keep cooler. The problem here is that companies keep their offices freaking cold in the summer to combat the heat outside, so most need a light sweater or something to wear at their desk.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Fri May 18, 2018 11:15 am

> clothes

You will need a cowboy hat. Boots can't hurt either.

zuzimb

Post by zuzimb » Fri May 18, 2018 11:18 am

123 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am
CaptainKash wrote:
...The second item is regarding window tint for the car (2018 Honda Accord). I want to get some recommendations on the best places to get this done, what materials to use, and how much to expect for cost - and if it's even worth it.
From what I've seen in Texas you'll fit in better if you trade the Accord for a pickup and have a gun rack installed that is visible through the rear window.
Don't forget to get an American flag decal on one side and a Texas flag decal on the other side. :sharebeer

I work in a casual office so golf shirts (though many wear t shirts) and jeans are the most breezy it gets. I find I'm comfortable wearing normal office attire (button down/chinos/slacks) and just rolling the sleeves and picking out those made of thinner fabrics. Of course we haven't hit the heat of the summer yet. If I had to wear a blazer I'd put a hanger in my car so I wouldn't have to wear it until inside a building and would go with the thinnest lightest most breathable fabric possible. The expectation for level of dress is highly variable throughout the metroplex.

Allen Edmonds are widely recommended, I don't own any personally though. My dailies are a dressier looking pair of Sperry Top-Siders..... though they certainly aren't the coolest of shoes (in either sense). Invest in good socks regardless of your shoe choice.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am

And I guess get used to these stupid stereo types. I live in an area with over 7 million people, can't remember the last time I saw a cowboy hat or gun rack.

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am

FlyAF wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:10 am
The problem here is that companies keep their offices freaking cold in the summer to combat the heat outside, so most need a light sweater or something to wear at their desk.
Definitely this. I was always cold in my office during summer when I lived in DFW, but would melt when I got into my scorching car after work. Invest in a sunshade to put in your windshield so your seat / dash / steering wheel are not 150F in July and August in the afternoons.'

edit: The best investment I ever made for my car (in Texas) was a ~$35 air conditioning seat cover from Amazon. It plugs into a 12V outlet and has a small fan to ventilate the seat. I know ventilated seats from the manufacturer are a thing, but I wasn't going to buy a new car when $35 solved my problem with my existing car.
Last edited by open_circuit on Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Fri May 18, 2018 11:20 am

Seersucker shirts work well if your office is semi-casual for an "office clothing environment" (I'm not sure what that phrase really means). For the most part, if you are in the office all day, the heat isn't going to be a huge issue, as you will only be out in it when you are going to and from your car/house/office/store/etc.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Fri May 18, 2018 11:25 am

I can't really help on the clothes, as I'm a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy, but as far as auto tint goes, definitely spring for the more expensive ceramic stuff that blocks UV. It makes a WORLD of difference over the cheaper tint materials. We had it put on our 07' Accord when we bought it, and it's been great. Just make sure to go to a place with a life time warranty and keep track of the paper work. Even good tint will eventually bubble and peel in the extreme summers we have down here.

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Fri May 18, 2018 11:26 am

I'm not sure if you're going to be in the Austin area, but I had the best tint job ever done by Austin Tint: Address: 937 Reinli St #21, Austin, TX 78751 Phone: (512) 452-8468. I've had a lot of mediocre/bad tint jobs with a few good ones thrown in, but this guy is a total pro and meticulous beyond belief. He has a lot of different kinds of tint, and some of the newer tint that reflects the heat that I didn't see anyone else carrying. He also had a lighter tint available that I needed because of the laws for where I'm moving to, but nobody else had it and they wouldn't/couldn't get it. Can't say enough positive things about this guy. He even came in early, outside of his regular hours to accommodate my schedule. Knowing what I now know about Austin Tint, I'd drive down for the weekend, experience Austin (hit up Blacks BBQ and get some Jalapeno sausage) and get my windows done.

Does having tint matter in TX, oh yeah, it makes a difference. I paid around $100-120 for the front windows, and that price is pretty standard. You can use cheaper film to lower the price, but that film will turn purple over time, so when you call around to get quotes you have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Good luck!

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:27 am

FlyAF wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:19 am
And I guess get used to these stupid stereo types. I live in an area with over 7 million people, can't remember the last time I saw a cowboy hat or gun rack.
+1

I drive a Hyundai Sonata, personally. Fit right in.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am

FlyAF wrote:
x2 (though the Austin area is quite a bit smaller than 7 million). I've never seen a gun rack in ANY vehicle here, and I'm on the outskirts of Austin metro area, nearer to farmland and acreage than city. I've lived here 10 years.

texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog » Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 am

I live in the area and would say that some people don't have tint...probably depends on where your car will be parked and might make your commutes a little more comfortable in the summer. Agree with poster about some indoor buildings can be ice cold in the summer thanks to A/C systems where it's not uncommon to have people have a heater under the desk in the summer time.

Also, the days of JR Ewing with cowboy hats, boots, gun racks, etc are way gone.... :D

zuzimb

Post by zuzimb » Fri May 18, 2018 11:36 am

FlyAF wrote:
I've come to run with the stupid stereo types, and play along and see how much I can stretch it out before the other person stops believing me.

Though to be fair I've seen a person riding a horse in a Whataburger drive-through on more than one occasion. As well as alongside the roads in various parts of the northern part of Dallas....Go down to Houston and the frequency of applicable stereotypes seems to increase depending on the time of year (Rodeo)

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am

I'm in Louisiana, so similar, but more humid climate.
Clothing will depend on the corporate culture of your company. Most everyone is going towards "business casual", a golf shirt made of any performance fabric is low maintenance and comfortable, cotton khakis, etc. I actually wear boots (polished) half of the time because I find them comfortable and functional. They also should last longer for the price than most "dress" shoes.
foamypirate wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am
FlyAF wrote:
x2 (though the Austin area is quite a bit smaller than 7 million). I've never seen a gun rack in ANY vehicle here, and I'm on the outskirts of Austin metro area, nearer to farmland and acreage than city. I've lived here 10 years.
Austin is a bit of an anomaly compared to the rest of Texas... (not saying the stereotypes are true, but still...)
I have met a lot of people that claim to love money, but they also seem to be the same people that are in the biggest hurry to get rid of it.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri May 18, 2018 11:55 am

N1CKV wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:49 am
I'm in Louisiana, so similar, but more humid climate.
Clothing will depend on the corporate culture of your company. Most everyone is going towards "business casual", a golf shirt made of any performance fabric is low maintenance and comfortable, cotton khakis, etc. I actually wear boots (polished) half of the time because I find them comfortable and functional. They also should last longer for the price than most "dress" shoes.
foamypirate wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Austin is a bit of an anomaly compared to the rest of Texas... (not saying the stereotypes are true, but still...)
Actually less and less so year after year.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri May 18, 2018 12:01 pm

CaptainKash wrote:
Given my age and the new climate, I am looking for some recommendations on what is most comfortable for those of you who work in arid, warmer climates. Fridays there are pretty chill on the wardrobe front, but a typical office clothing environment otherwise. I'm wondering if there are ideal or "cool" materials for dress clothes out there, as well as some comfortable but nice-looking shoes. I haven't had to buy these sorts of clothes often, so I need to up my game.
Not sure why you think the DFW area is arid. It doesn't rain as much as it does in Florida, but it can be humid.

If you are wearing a button-front shirt, then an undershirt might be helpful to keep perspiration from soaking through. The newer wicking athletic tee shirts actually work better for this than traditional cotton tee shirts and you can get them in white for wearing under white shirts.

Generally, cotton will soak up moisture and stay moist, so if your feet perspire, you might again want to avoid cotton and choose wool blend or synthetic socks that wick moisture and don't get clammy. Also it might help to wear shoes every third day at most rather than every other day.

Probably best thing to do would be to wait to see what your coworkers wear before buying a lot of new clothes.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 18, 2018 12:54 pm

What do others in YOUR company wear there?

I worked for a Texas based (Dallas, just east of Hi 5....) company and if Rich Templeton was wearing a tie, it meant investors were in the building.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 18, 2018 1:03 pm

Like many states, Texas has car window tint regulations.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/consum ... owTint.htm

We have avoided cars with black / dark interiors.

I wear the same clothes in Texas that I wore in New York.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri May 18, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm as comfortable in jeans, a shirt, and flip flops, as I am in jeans, a shirt, cowboy boots and my cowboy hat. (Get a good pair, people that don't have them don't know what they're missing.) For the office, I like cotton button downs or polos, and (non-iron) khakis or wool blend pants (washable wool please). I'd recommend a good navy blue sport coat, and possibly a more fun one: checkered or something. Walnut or darker brown shoes and belt, never black unless you're working for a funeral home. This is all just basic wardrobe stuff regardless of location, though. I mean honestly, we have A/C here so I'm not sure why the heat would bother you in an office setting, and I know those new cars come with A/C. Get a good bathing suit, it has been pool weather for almost a month now in my parts! :D

I'll echo the poster above, pay for a quality car window tint. I honestly did not know that new cars (2018 Accord) came without tinted windows. (Call me sheltered.)

Signed,

lifelong Texan who doesn't own a truck or a gun or a farm (though my family does, so I know where I'm going if things get crazy)

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

CaptainKash wrote:
Hello, Bogleheads. I am a long-time lurker, and recently decided to create an account. Along with the investing advice and education, I really enjoy some of the product recommendations and reviews as well - cars, airlines, shoes, mattresses... everything. This post is in that category.

I'm a 29-year-old professional making a career/personal move to the DFW Metroplex. I lived there when I was a kid for a short time and have a lot of family there, so it is a familiar area. I have experienced the summers, having lived through one, but it's been a long time. Currently, I am employed at a company in the Midwest that has everyone from the CEO to the line workers wearing the same uniform. It's been convenient for many years, but now I will have to start building my professional wardrobe - shirts, shoes, pants (sport coats?). Given my age and the new climate, I am looking for some recommendations on what is most comfortable for those of you who work in arid, warmer climates. Fridays there are pretty chill on the wardrobe front, but a typical office clothing environment otherwise. I'm wondering if there are ideal or "cool" materials for dress clothes out there, as well as some comfortable but nice-looking shoes. I haven't had to buy these sorts of clothes often, so I need to up my game.

The second item is regarding window tint for the car (2018 Honda Accord). I want to get some recommendations on the best places to get this done, what materials to use, and how much to expect for cost - and if it's even worth it.
Look out for the guns.

bonfire

Post by bonfire » Fri May 18, 2018 2:45 pm

Unless your working outside and assuming your car, house and office are all air conditioned. Wear what you have now and trade your heavy winter coat for a couple of swim suits. you're not moving to sub saharan Africa. What part of D/FW? Like any metro area, its quite diverse. I was in a chamber of commerce meeting this week. The Dallas Fed President asked who in the room was from another state. 80% of the room raised their hand. Welcome to the Texas Economy

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm

Outside of west-Texas rodeo towns, no one wears boots or cowboy hats, especially in the DFW metroplex. More people wear that kind of thing out here in Oregon and Washington than in TX frankly.

Unless you are in a really tightly-wound office you can probably get all your casual work clothes at Costco. They have decent slacks and dress shirts and lots of golf shirts which is basically what most guys wear.

You don't want a big truck for living in the metroplex. Too much of a hassle to park and too much $$$ spent on gas for no purpose. Any ordinary Japanese car is fine. But a light colored car with light colored interior will make things nicer. I can't believe how many people drive around in TX with black cars and black interiors.

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm
I can't believe how many people drive around in TX with black cars and black interiors.
Guilty. Black exterior, black leather interior. It's a bit of a unique vehicle and this was the only color combo currently sitting on a lot. This will be my first summer with it, but I have shaded parking at work and garage at home so hopefully it won't be too bad.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat May 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Live in DFW area 20+ years.

Clothes: in business casual environments usually just chinos or docker type pants plus either button down or polo style shirt depending on environment. Most places are heavily A/C’d.

Car Tinting: definitely. Makes a big difference. I usually just use who dealer recommends. It’s. It that expensive and worth having it done right.

It helps a lot if you have a garage where you live and where you work.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 19, 2018 5:35 pm

One thing to watch out for with the window tinting is that sometimes when you have polarized sunglasses it will have a rainbow effect. I recently bought a new car it had that problem which I suspect was due to cheap window tinting job. They agreed to remove it and refund the money that was charged for it.

You may also want to get a windshield sun shade to put on the dashboard when you have to park the car in the sun.

It was not in Texas but I once has a portable GPS that was left in a hot car and the screen was damaged. You will also want to reconsider what things you leave in the car.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat May 19, 2018 6:17 pm

Clothes:
Very dressy > Dockers.
Dressy > new clean jeans.
Casual > older jeans.
Dressy > long sleeve shirts. (one color)
Casual > long sleeve shirts (for the sun). (patterned).

Tint for Toyota Tundra (made in Texas).
Not too dark as law enforcement has a tough time with that.

Hat:
Ball cap or Stetson (George Strait) depending on area and work or play environment.

Shoes:
Boots or shoes if in the city.

j

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Sun May 20, 2018 12:07 am

CaptainKash wrote:
Tint with high heat rejection (not the same thing as dark) is definitely worth it. We have Spectra Photosync in one of our vehicles but there are many options out there. Pricing's going to depend on the film, shop and how much glass needs to be tinted. You really just need to call around for quotes. Search around and read reviews for shops.
CaptainKash wrote:
Fridays there are pretty chill on the wardrobe front, but a typical office clothing environment otherwise.
What, exactly, is their dress code? Business casual? If so, you don't need sport coats. As stated above, button-downs or polos and chinos or khakis will probably do depending on the specifics of your office.
CaptainKash wrote:
I'm wondering if there are ideal or "cool" materials for dress clothes out there
As in materials to help keep you cool or materials that look cool? It's actually hot & humid down here in Houston but Merino wool helps wick away moisture. All of my socks whether dress or casual are either Merino or a Merino blend. My favorite hot weather shirts are actually a Merino wool & Tencel blend though they're not dress shirts. Cotton button down shirts are just fine even when it's hot & humid and I suspect they would do just as well in dry & warm weather.
CaptainKash wrote:
as well as some comfortable but nice-looking shoes.
Comfort & nice-loooking are highly subjective. What do you find comfortable? What do you find nice-looking? What do you not find for either? Personally I find dressier chukka boots comfortable and nice-looking for the office but I have no idea if you would.
123 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:52 am
There are a lot of trucks but there are also a lot of Accords as well. Gun rack not required. Texas isn't a homogenous place.
texasdiver wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:45 pm
But a light colored car with light colored interior will make things nicer. I can't believe how many people drive around in TX with black cars and black interiors.
I can't tell any significant difference whether I get in our vehicle with the tan interior versus the one with the black interior in the middle of summer. It's miserably hot either way.

bberris

Post by bberris » Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 am

FlyAF wrote:
Pointy boots and spurs. Forgot those.

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 am

PFInterest wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Look out for the guns.
Yes. The high sales tax makes them expensive to buy in Texas. It is often cheaper to have them shipped from out of state to an FFL(watch out for transfer fees). That and TX has strict signage requirements if a property owner wants to prevent responsible firearm owners from coming onto the property.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun May 20, 2018 7:13 am

Suggest you wait till you get to DFW area to get your tint. The tint shops are numerous there and it is not hard to find a well rated shop. Spend the extra money to get high quality tint material it is well worth it.

Buy the lightest fabric clothes you can find. The summer in DFW is unending and miserable - most often brutally hot and dry with little to no relief from the heat in the evening. Getting outdoors for any vigorous exercise means doing so at 6AM because much later is intolerable in the summer. But don't discard your cold weather gear. Making the climate there even more unpleasant, DFW winters can bring some very cold weather including days of dangerous ice and snow.

There are still more than a few that in midsummer swelter waltz around in blue jeans, cowboy hats, and even more astoundingly, the silly pointy boots. Usually seen adjacent to the giant pickup truck...mostly of the genus all hat sans cattle.

Be prepared for traffic. 7 million with too many SUVs and pickups fighting to get to work, tailgating and passing on the right being an Olympic sport there, makes for a madmax level commuting scene on weekday AMs.

bberris

Post by bberris » Sun May 20, 2018 7:27 am

PFInterest wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Look out for the guns.
The murder rate in Texas is lower than almost all the southern states, about half the rate in Louisiana, lower than Alaska, Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, New Mexico, and Virgina. You don't need a passport to go to Texas if you are a US citizen. But if you are traveling US 90 in the west, you will be stopped for ID.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Sun May 20, 2018 7:45 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 7:13 am
Suggest you wait till you get to DFW area to get your tint. The tint shops are numerous there and it is not hard to find a well rated shop. Spend the extra money to get high quality tint material it is well worth it.
This is good advice.
jabberwockOG wrote:
Buy the lightest fabric clothes you can find. The summer in DFW is unending and miserable - most often brutally hot and dry with little to no relief from the heat in the evening. Getting outdoors for any vigorous exercise means doing so at 6AM because much later is intolerable in the summer. But don't discard your cold weather gear. Making the climate there even more unpleasant, DFW winters can bring some very cold weather including days of dangerous ice and snow.
I ride my bike thousands of miles a year in the DFW area, mostly year round. I would agree you should plan your activity's in mid summer to be done before 1 PM, unless water is involved. I agree some years are worse than others. As far as ice and snow, we had none this past winter. There is often one two or three day event a winter. We also get 70 degree days in January and Febuary sometimes. Oh, the humanity!
jabberwockOG wrote:
There are still more than a few that in midsummer swelter waltz around in blue jeans, cowboy hats, and even more astoundingly, the silly pointy boots. Usually seen adjacent to the giant pickup truck...mostly of the genus all hat sans cattle.
When was the last time you were here? I seriously can't recall seeing someone in Cowboy hat and boots outside of the Mesquite rodeo or Billy Bobs night club in the last ten years.
jabberwockOG wrote:
Be prepared for traffic. 7 million with too many SUVs and pickups fighting to get to work, tailgating and passing on the right being an Olympic sport there, makes for a madmax level commuting scene on weekday AMs.
This is not wrong. It is also true of Chicago, LA, New York, and any city with a large population. We may have a higher mix of SUV's and pickups. Mainly driven by soccer moms.

To me the worst things about living in North Dallas are toll roads and the large influx of people making traffic worse.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun May 20, 2018 8:11 am

foamypirate wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Comparing all of Texas to a few east Texas mega cities is like comparing the backwoods of upstate New York to New York City. Totally different worlds. I've spent a fair amount of time in the mid and western parts of Texas where I assure you trucks and gun racks abound and belts must be rated to hold not only a cellphone and sheath knife but in many cases a pistol. I was never made to feel out of place and everyone was more than friendly but it definitely was a cultural shock compared to spending time in say Austin, Dallas, etc. where it seems like about any mega city in the U.S.

foamypirate

Post by foamypirate » Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 8:11 am
foamypirate wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Comparing all of Texas to a few east Texas mega cities is like comparing the backwoods of upstate New York to New York City. Totally different worlds. I've spent a fair amount of time in the mid and western parts of Texas where I assure you trucks and gun racks abound and belts must be rated to hold not only a cellphone and sheath knife but in many cases a pistol. I was never made to feel out of place and everyone was more than friendly but it definitely was a cultural shock compared to spending time in say Austin, Dallas, etc. where it seems like about any mega city in the U.S.
Oh, I agree with you. Just stating that not all of Texas is cowboy hats and gun racks, like some people seem to think. I wonder how many are shocked that the entire state isn't a desert, either? :D

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Sun May 20, 2018 6:47 pm

When I was growing up my dad had a gun rack in the back window of a single cab GMC. I miss those days....and it wasn't all that long ago...late 80's.

Neither my wife or I have tint on our front windows. It's no big deal. July, August, and September are obnoxiously hot in DFW, though.

Regarding clothes, I wear boots with jeans and dress shoes with slacks. Pretty standard stuff.

scottgekko

Post by scottgekko » Mon May 21, 2018 2:34 pm

Lots of men in my office (mortgage servicing) wear cowboy boots. I own a couple pair of Tecovas (Austin based company). They're very comfortable and understated. I can wear them in the office, out to a nice dinner, or out at a concert in Deep Ellum and never get any odd looks. Depends on your personal style but don't let anyone tell you that DFW is too metro for cowboy boots.

Our office has a casual dress code, so i usually wear nicer looking jeans and either a button down or polo. It gets hot here in the summer but the humidity isn't bad (I moved here from Georgia, so it's relative) so what you wear during the summer in your current location is probably very similar. Unless you'll be outdoors for extended periods of time, everywhere is air conditioned and once the sun goes down, it's actually enjoyable as there is usually always a breeze.

simple man

Post by simple man » Mon May 21, 2018 4:49 pm

Dallas is more cosmopolitan cowboy than Houston. Houston is extremely international and you can find any international cuisine done well and cheap.

Yes, most folks have guns. We find it helps keep everyone polite to each other. Honking and arm waving in traffic is generally not acceptable. :shock:

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon May 21, 2018 6:12 pm

lthenderson wrote:
foamypirate wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Considering the OP is moving to DFW metroplex area, not sure how this is any way relevant. Another person who lived in Texas for 5+ years and never saw any of these stereotypes.

GCD

Post by GCD » Mon May 21, 2018 6:17 pm

I don't know what the law in Texas is, but California prohibits tint of a certain darkness. I would double check that to make sure you don't inadvertently put on something too dark. I was stopped once by a CHP officer for having tint too dark. He ended up letting me go without a ticket, but why put yourself at the mercy of the highway patrol?

baughpd

Post by baughpd » Mon May 21, 2018 6:47 pm

The most significant factor in driving a car that does not melt you is to park it in the shade -- buy a home with a garage or rent an apartment with covered parking. Park your car in covered parking at work. Makes all the difference in the world.

bberris

Post by bberris » Mon May 21, 2018 8:23 pm

foamypirate wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm
lthenderson wrote:
foamypirate wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Oh, I agree with you. Just stating that not all of Texas is cowboy hats and gun racks, like some people seem to think. I wonder how many are shocked that the entire state isn't a desert, either? :D
If you've seen the old westerns, you might think Monument Valley is in Texas. Tain't. Tsin Youta.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Tue May 22, 2018 8:20 am

stoptothink wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 6:12 pm
lthenderson wrote:
foamypirate wrote:
FlyAF wrote:
Considering the OP is moving to DFW metroplex area, not sure how this is any way relevant. Another person who lived in Texas for 5+ years and never saw any of these stereotypes.
It wouldn't be relevant had the original posters said they had lived in Dallas/Austin/(name your large urban Texas city here) and had never seen a gun rack instead of referencing the entire state of Texas. If I had said I have never seen a sky scraper and have lived in the state of New York my entire life, it doesn't make it an accurate statement though it might be true from my reference point of upstate New York.