401k fund pick options - help me choose

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
jbsmith05
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:01 pm

401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by jbsmith05 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am

Help me choose between the following in my 401k please and thank you

For International:
DODFX - Doge & Cox Intl, .63% ER
FIADX - Fidelity Advisor Intl Discovery, .96% ER


And for Bond/Income:
DLFNX - Doubleline Core Fixed Income, .74% ER
FSITX - Fidelity US Bond Index, .045% ER


Your thoughts on which one from each group - are you looking solely at the ER?

student
Posts: 2317
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by student » Fri May 18, 2018 8:42 am

All are reputable so I will pick based only on ER.

ExitStageLeft
Posts: 723
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:02 pm

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by ExitStageLeft » Fri May 18, 2018 2:24 pm

Remainder of portfolio? I'd put it in FSITX up to desired bond % of portfolio. After that I'd stick with a US indexed fund and get your international exposure someplace more affordable.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 13503
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by ruralavalon » Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm

jbsmith05 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:28 am
Help me choose between the following in my 401k please and thank you

For International:
DODFX - Doge & Cox Intl, .63% ER
FIADX - Fidelity Advisor Intl Discovery, .96% ER
I suggest Dodge & Cox International Stock Fund (DODFX) ER 0.64% because is has a "value" investing style, a much lower turnover rate showing a buy and hold management style, and a significantly lower expense ratio.

jbsmith 05 wrote:And for Bond/Income:
DLFNX - Doubleline Core Fixed Income, .74% ER
FSITX - Fidelity US Bond Index, .045% ER


Your thoughts on which one from each group - are you looking solely at the ER?
I suggest Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (FSITX) ER 0.045% because it is an index fund, has a much lower expense ratio, and a better credit quality.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

sman09
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 am

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by sman09 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm
I suggest Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (FSITX) ER 0.045% because it is an index fund, has a much lower expense ratio, and a better credit quality.
@ruralavalon:
Is it a good idea to invest in bond index funds even during these times? Are not bonds becoming less attractive from a return perspective with the increasing rate scenario?

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 13503
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by ruralavalon » Fri May 18, 2018 4:32 pm

SANSRN wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm
I suggest Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (FSITX) ER 0.045% because it is an index fund, has a much lower expense ratio, and a better credit quality.
@ruralavalon:
Is it a good idea to invest in bond index funds even during these times? Are not bonds becoming less attractive from a return perspective with the increasing rate scenario?
What to do "in these times" is the wrong question for a long-term investor.

In my opinion and in the opinion of many here the loss in bond fund share value caused by rising interest rates is likely to be small and temporary, and for the long-term investor rising interest rates will be good for investors in bond funds.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

sman09
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:02 am

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by sman09 » Fri May 18, 2018 4:38 pm

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:32 pm
SANSRN wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 pm
ruralavalon wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:16 pm
I suggest Fidelity U.S. Bond Index Fund Premium Class (FSITX) ER 0.045% because it is an index fund, has a much lower expense ratio, and a better credit quality.
@ruralavalon:
Is it a good idea to invest in bond index funds even during these times? Are not bonds becoming less attractive from a return perspective with the increasing rate scenario?
What to do "in these times" is the wrong question for a long-term investor.

In my opinion and in the opinion of many here the loss in bond fund share value caused by rising interest rates is likely to be small and temporary, and for the long-term investor rising interest rates will be good for investors in bond funds.
Thank you for the quick response and the insight.

I am very new to investing and learning - i have been reading as much as i can and taking in all the information while also asking questions in the hope of getting help - have been helped every single time on this forum by members like you. Thanks a lot!

jbsmith05
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:01 pm

Re: 401k fund pick options - help me choose

Post by jbsmith05 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 am

Thanks for the feedback - sorry I've been away.

I went with the Dodge & Cox and Fidelity Index...that's where I was leaning before I posted.

Post Reply