looking for simple smart phone - anyone use Jitterbug

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
S&L1940

looking for simple smart phone - anyone use Jitterbug

Post by S&L1940 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Trying to find an inexpensive cell plan and smart phone. Data unimportant, make, receive calls and texts when away from home and Wi-Fi capable. NOT AT&T, prefer the Verizon network because of reception in our area
We still maintain our land line.
So far, have not found reliable provider (posted previously); AARP Jitterbug ad caught my eye, yet their reviews are mixed.
Help please
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

gd

Re: looking for simple smart phone - anyone use Jitterbug

Post by gd » Thu May 17, 2018 8:23 pm

Got one for elderly relative unable to deal with basic smartphone functions using very inexpensive (Repubic Wireless) android. Not particularly cheap, its selling point is usability. Has notably better-designed basic screens replacing standards with android internals. Seems to have pretty good customer support. Collection of youtube or DVD instructional videos, as well as some printed instructional materials. That all said, don't expect miracles. It's still a tiny, extremely complex handheld computer and radio with the pitfalls any rational person should expect, but no one does.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 pm

I think you're looking for a Verizon MVNO. There are a few out there:
Affinity Cellular
Best Cellular
Boom! Mobile
Credo
Dataxoom
EcoMobile
GreatCall
Net10
Page Plus Cellular
Ready Mobile
Red Pocket Mobile
ROK Mobile
Selectel Wireless
SpeedTalk Mobile
Straight Talk
Total Wireless
Tracfone
US Mobile
Verizon Wireless
Zing Wireless

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Thu May 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:36 pm
I think you're looking for a Verizon MVNO. There are a few out there:
Affinity Cellular
Best Cellular
Boom! Mobile
Credo
Dataxoom
EcoMobile
GreatCall
Net10
Page Plus Cellular
Ready Mobile
Red Pocket Mobile
ROK Mobile
Selectel Wireless
SpeedTalk Mobile
Straight Talk
Total Wireless
Tracfone
US Mobile
Verizon Wireless
Zing Wireless
Thanks, did a quick Google check on Affinity Cellular; I need to be an AAA member
have some researching to do this weekend
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:43 am

a bunch of the providers listed by Alexa9 are part of the Tracfone group, problem is the cellular network they use is a crap shoot as they - as do others on the list - use Verizon Wireless, AT&T Mobility, T-Mobile US, Sprint Corporation, and U.S. Cellular.

anyone using Xfinity? most of my life is tied up with Comcast, why not cell service as well
what can go wrong?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 am

Total Wireless is Verizon and at any Walmart. They have budget phones to meet most any price range. If you want to have a place to go, Walmart are all around us.

TW is not the cheapest option. A RedPocket, Red plan (Verizon) paid for 1 year and purchased from eBay might be your best bet.

Find any Verizon/unlocked phone. Moto G or Moto E, iPhone SE. Getting a smart phone doesn't mean you have to use much of the smart features. They are pretty handy at times.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am

I am doing more than fine with my Samsung smart phone provided by Tracfone and have had it for 3 or 4 years. It is small and cheap to buy and use. I seldom use it for texting....maybe only 3 or 4 times a year, but it could do a lot more. (I don't like to text....I would rather talk personally of email if that is convenient.) Email is fine. Searching is fine. I have several apps downloaded for entertainment (seldom actually used though. Not among my wants). The camera is ok for my small needs. They have several models and sizes to pick from. No long term contracts. Cost is cheap for a trial. You can pay as you use, if you wish. I buy a year's contract at a time, but I never use the minutes or data usage provided in a year.
I have used it in much of the US for convenience; however, I seldom use it for communication where I live, but it could do much more than I wish to do. As I said, I prefer face to face or land phone for telephoning. I just do not want my voice communications to be so public as people do today in stores, restaurants, etc..

Oh, by the way, I did purchase a Jitterbug for my wife about 2 years ago. She did not like it, so she discontinued the use within a year. (She prefers land line for all of her telephoning.) It is a little larger than mine. I didn't like it too much compared with my Samsung, but I am not a good person to ask as I really spent very little time with it.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:59 am

S&L1940 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:09 pm
Trying to find an inexpensive cell plan and smart phone. Data unimportant, make, receive calls and texts when away from home and Wi-Fi capable. NOT AT&T, prefer the Verizon network because of reception in our area
We still maintain our land line.
So far, have not found reliable provider (posted previously); AARP Jitterbug ad caught my eye, yet their reviews are mixed.
Help please
How many minutes and text do you use? How smart a phone do you need? (recent/powerful) What apps will you be running? Do you travel/roam? How's T-mobile/Sprint in your area?

Tracphone (on eBay). Not sure it's the most reliable (It's worked ok for me), but among the most inexpensive. You can get a LG Rebel or Samsung Galaxy Luna for $50 INCLUDING 1 year of service, 1200 minutes and 1200 text total for year! Cheaper to throw away the phone and buy another one than to renew.

https://www.ebay.com/str/tracfonewireless

If you stick with CDMA (I didn't look into the specifics of the offerings above), it's on the Verizon network. [FYI, came across a comparison saying the Rebel 2 is GSM while the Rebel is CDMA, but haven't confirmed - https://www.ebay.com/itm/TracFone-LG-Re ... 2746875766 Also, the J1 Luna may also be CDMA, but if it has a GSM SIM slot, it might still be ATT or others. YMMV]

https://www.howardforums.com/showthread ... on-Network

I've kept a PagePlus on standard plan $10 every 120 days for emergencies, but haven't needed to use it much, so I'm thinking of cancelling it.
https://www.pagepluscellular.com/plans/10-standard-pin/

Both are on Verizon network.