Allocation to combine Dave Ramsey and Vanguard?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
pyld76

Re: Allocation to combine Dave Ramsey and Vanguard?

Post by pyld76 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:38 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:30 pm
pyld76 wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 9:37 pm

I digress. If you can stomach the bumps, there isn't anything particularly wrong with the tilted portfolio you describe.
Thanks for the input. Bumps - okay - as long as the bumps provide greater overall returns in the end. Would bumps be bigger and the returns be better if I chose value rather than blended?
Presumably a tilt to small and value is going to offer a greater EV. With some increase in volatility and the chance that you will have to tolerate long periods of underperformance.

One good behavioral screw up is going to moot the difference in tilt. Again: if you think you can stomach a significant downturn in equities and the potential periods of underperformance from a tilted portfolio, there’s nothing wrong with what you are proposing. Those are two large “ifs.”

jibantik

Post by jibantik » Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 pm

David Jay wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 am
Dave Ramsey is widely regarded around here for his "get-out-of-debt" and "live-below-your-means" advice.
He is? He is nothing but a con-man to me. He makes quite a killing from the products he pushes to the people he just got out of debt.

Now, I think most everyone here will agree that his investment advice is bad. Not bad as recommending whole life bad, but a you could do better kind of bad. The guy treats past performance like an oracle and hardly understands the difference between roth and traditional iras. I guess what do I know, I can't guarantee you 12% returns like him.

PharmerBrown

Post by PharmerBrown » Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 pm

jibantik wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:54 pm
David Jay wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:18 am
Dave Ramsey is widely regarded around here for his "get-out-of-debt" and "live-below-your-means" advice.
He is? He is nothing but a con-man to me. He makes quite a killing from the products he pushes to the people he just got out of debt.

Now, I think most everyone here will agree that his investment advice is bad. Not bad as recommending whole life bad, but a you could do better kind of bad. The guy treats past performance like an oracle and hardly understands the difference between roth and traditional iras. I guess what do I know, I can't guarantee you 12% returns like him.
+1 - Most may agree with the concepts of getting out of debt and living below your means, but few would recommend his methods. His advice is designed for people who invest in lottery tickets. And if you dare challenge one of his recommendations that cut into his meal ticket; he is one of the angriest men on the planet.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Sun May 13, 2018 9:33 pm

Something often overlooked is that Dave Ramsey himself doesnt know what his asset allocation is. He has on at least one occassion referred to “aggressive growth” as being sometimes called small cap or sometimes called emerging markets...

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun May 13, 2018 10:01 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 6:24 pm
White Coat Investor wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:47 pm
guyesmith wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:58 am
Hi guys! Looking for thoughts on the following asset allocation? Dave Ramsey recommends staying aggressive not just when young but even through retirement. His split is an even 25% for Growth and Income, Growth, Aggressive Growth, and International. I've heard this described as Large, Mid, Small, Int. What do you think of this as a combination of his theories and Vanguard Indexing:

25% VFINX Vanguard 500 Index Investor
25% VIMSX Vanguard Mid Cap Index Investor
25% NAESX Vanguard Small Cap Index Inv
25% VGTSX Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Inv

These are investor shares.

When I backtest it the returns are stronger than Total Stock Market and Total International combined.

Please no Dave Ramsey investing bashing. I'm just looking for honest assessments.
That's a reasonable, although aggressive allocation. If you really want to do the Dave thing, you need some rental properties too.
Thanks for the input.

Dave does rental properties himself, I don’t think it’s a part of his recommended plan for everyone. For me my property ‘bond’ is more like working toward owning my own home. Not a fixed income, but a more controlled asset.

Aggressive, yes. Do you think it’s inappropriatley aggressive? Or unnecessarily tilted against the weighted market cap?
I think it is both inappropriately aggressive and overly tilted, but reasonable people could disagree. Your portfolio doesn't necessarily have to look like mine to reach your goals.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

CRTR

Post by CRTR » Mon May 14, 2018 12:31 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:58 am
Hi guys! Looking for thoughts on the following asset allocation? Dave Ramsey recommends staying aggressive not just when young but even through retirement. His split is an even 25% for Growth and Income, Growth, Aggressive Growth, and International. I've heard this described as Large, Mid, Small, Int. What do you think of this as a combination of his theories and Vanguard Indexing:

25% VFINX Vanguard 500 Index Investor
25% VIMSX Vanguard Mid Cap Index Investor
25% NAESX Vanguard Small Cap Index Inv
25% VGTSX Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index Inv

These are investor shares.

When I backtest it the returns are stronger than Total Stock Market and Total International combined.

Please no Dave Ramsey investing bashing. I'm just looking for honest assessments.
Ok, my two bits . . . .

1. In general, it's a reasonable equity mix portfolio. I understand the logic behind it too. If the large/mid/small cap segments of the market outperforms, you can capture the relative gain with rebalancing. Wonder why he didn't include microcaps (BRSIX)?

2. I do not agree with the fund choices. The SP500 is a roughly equal of the current Vanguard/CRSP Large cap index, which consists of the Mega Cap Index + Mid Cap index. It would make more sense to use the following combos (VOO-SP500, IVOO-SP400, VIOO-SP600) or (MGC, VO, VB) for the domestic equity portion. Using the SP600 index gives you a little more micro cap exposure. Unfortunately, you can't do the same thing with Vanguard Mutual Funds unless you can afford Institutional Class shares. There is a nice graphic on this page which illustrates my point:
http://www.crsp.com/indexes-pages/key-c ... benchmarks

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:12 pm

A Ramsey portfolio has very little small cap (US or Intl) when you put the funds under an X-ray. He's basically 70/30 US/Int with a huge tilt to large growth. Building it out with Vanguard ETFs would probably be close to 40% VTI, 30% VUG, and 30% VXUS

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:32 pm
Skip the mid-cap, go with Total US and Small-cap (Vanguards small-cap is actually 50/50 mid/small) and consider using the small-value fund which performed even better in back-testing.

Still a 3-fund portfolio with Total International, and higher EXPECTED returns.

50/25/25 would be a nice balance.
Thanks! I like this idea A LOT. You're right about the mid/small when I punch it into Portfolio Visualizer I find there are a lot of mid caps in the small funds. I'm considering but hesitant to do value as well. Seems it takes a LONG time for value to win, though it wins big over a 40 year time frame it seems.

I've avoided bonds so its a 2-fund portfolio. Also may scratch international so its a 1-fund portfolio with a tilt to small (maybe small value).

MotoTrojan: What do you think about that? 100% US, 50:50 TSM:SCV VTSAX:VSIAX

This is the exposure of that breakdown:

Large-cap Value 20.69%
Large-cap Growth 23.49%
Mid-cap Value 27.49%
Mid-cap Growth 5.27%
Small-cap Value 14.39%
Small-cap Growth 7.63%
Global ex-US Developed Markets 0.59%
Emerging Markets 0.44%

The allocation you suggested as TSM:SCV:INT 50:25:25 VTSAX:VSIAX:VTIAX

Large-cap Value 18.88%
Large-cap Growth 23.27%
Mid-cap Value 17.37%
Mid-cap Growth 4.44%
Small-cap Value 8.26%
Small-cap Growth 3.13%
Global ex-US Developed Markets 18.45%
Emerging Markets 6.19%

Now, this all assumes Portfolio Visualizer draws the lines between large/mid/small similar to Vanguard and CRSP.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 am

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am
MotoTrojan wrote:
Skip the mid-cap, go with Total US and Small-cap (Vanguards small-cap is actually 50/50 mid/small) and consider using the small-value fund which performed even better in back-testing.

Thanks! I like this idea A LOT. You're right about the mid/small when I punch it into Portfolio Visualizer I find there are a lot of mid caps in the small funds. I'm considering but hesitant to do value as well. Seems it takes a LONG time for value to win, though it wins big over a 40 year time frame it seems.

I've avoided bonds so its a 2-fund portfolio. Also may scratch international so its a 1-fund portfolio with a tilt to small (maybe small value).

MotoTrojan: What do you think about that? 100% US, 50:50 TSM:SCV VTSAX:VSIAX

This is the exposure of that breakdown:

Large-cap Value 20.69%
Large-cap Growth 23.49%
Mid-cap Value 27.49%
Mid-cap Growth 5.27%
Small-cap Value 14.39%
Small-cap Growth 7.63%
Global ex-US Developed Markets 0.59%
Emerging Markets 0.44%

The allocation you suggested as TSM:SCV:INT 50:25:25 VTSAX:VSIAX:VTIAX

Large-cap Value 18.88%
Large-cap Growth 23.27%
Mid-cap Value 17.37%
Mid-cap Growth 4.44%
Small-cap Value 8.26%
Small-cap Growth 3.13%
Global ex-US Developed Markets 18.45%
Emerging Markets 6.19%

Now, this all assumes Portfolio Visualizer draws the lines between large/mid/small similar to Vanguard and CRSP.
If I eliminated International I’d hold less SCV personally. I think you are performance chasing.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:47 am

If I eliminated International I’d hold less SCV personally. I think you are performance chasing.
Perhaps I am. If this is a long term plan, though, that shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing. It should be viewed as researching to find the best-possible return for my investment dollars. Of course, in hopes the market will perform 'similar' in the future.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am
MotoTrojan wrote:

Perhaps I am. If this is a long term plan, though, that shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing. It should be viewed as researching to find the best-possible return for my investment dollars. Of course, in hopes the market will perform 'similar' in the future.
Of the "usual" stock asset selections the highest expected return is for small cap value and emerging markets. If you simply mean to invest for the highest expected return you should be 100% in one, the other, or split between both of those. If you have a different definition of "best-possible" you might make that explicit.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 10:49 am

dbr wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am
Of the "usual" stock asset selections the highest expected return is for small cap value and emerging markets. If you simply mean to invest for the highest expected return you should be 100% in one, the other, or split between both of those. If you have a different definition of "best-possible" you might make that explicit.
Yes. So, why is conventional wisdom opposed to your suggestion? Volatility? Standard deviation?

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:49 am
dbr wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:47 am
Yes. So, why is conventional wisdom opposed to your suggestion? Volatility? Standard deviation?
Well, of course. Investing is about finding an appropriate combination of risk and return. Also, my post is not a suggestion but an observation.

If you want a real world suggestion regarding SCV you could look at the "Larry" portfolio mooted by Swedroe in which one combines 100% SCV in stock with whatever allocation to low risk bonds gives you the portfolio return and risk you need but also hopefully reduces left tail risk (an aspect of volility).

Also, the discussion here may be of interest: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=248269&start=100

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 pm

dbr wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am
If you want a real world suggestion regarding SCV you could look at the "Larry" portfolio mooted by Swedroe in which one combines 100% SCV in stock with whatever allocation to low risk bonds gives you the portfolio return and risk you need but also hopefully reduces left tail risk (an aspect of volility).
Thanks. Yes, I see him active on this forum actually. Hey, maybe 100% SCV and then payoff my house and move 10% to bonds or a money market fund right before retirement is the way to go. Innumerable ways to skin this cat.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri May 18, 2018 1:24 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am
MotoTrojan wrote:

This strategy would’ve had you investing 100% in Japan. It’s certsinly a “bad thing”.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm

It's a very aggressive portfolio but it's not bad. I wouldn't recommend this for anybody near retirement unless you were EXTREMELY wealthy already.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:44 pm
It's a very aggressive portfolio but it's not bad. I wouldn't recommend this for anybody near retirement unless you were EXTREMELY wealthy already.
Thanks for you input. Long term approach for sure.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am
MotoTrojan wrote:

It is not really accurate to say that "it takes a LONG time for value to win".

It would be more accurate to say that sometimes growth stocks outperform value stocks for a long time, and sometimes value stocks outperform growth stocks for a long time. You could say the same thing about small stocks versus large stocks and U.S. stocks versus foreign stocks. Or even about bonds versus stocks.

The length of time it takes for one to 'win' depends entirely on which will be in favor soon, which is impossible to know. That's why a smart portfolio includes a mix of different asset classes, factor exposures, etc.

We have lots of evidence that stocks have USUALLY outperformed bonds, that small stocks have USUALLY outperformed large ones, value stocks have USUALLY outperformed growth stocks, and that foreign stocks perform about as well as U.S. stocks.

In fact, the effect of these factors is so strong that since 1972 a portfolio that was 50% bonds and 50% value/small-tilted equities outperformed a portfolio that was 80% "total stock market" and 20% bonds.

Of course no guarantee the next 48 years will look like the last 48 (and I am definitely NOT recommending a portfolio like the ones on the attached image), but I think the evidence is strong that a well-diversified portfolio that includes large stocks, small value stocks, international stocks, and a few bonds is the smartest investment.

If you don't think you need bonds in your portfolio at this stage of your life, I won't try to talk you into it.

But an equity portfolio that doesn't include 20% to 30% international stocks isn't likely to be as successful as one that does.

I think a three fund equity portfolio finds its sweet spot somewhere near here:
  • 50% VTSMX Total Stock Market Index Fund
    25% VISVX Small-Cap Value Index Fund
    25% VGTSX Vanguard Total Intl Stock Index
Such a portfolio would be well-diversified across countries and, while still primarily consisting of large cap stocks would include some small caps in reasonable amounts.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm

OP. How about a smaller percentage but a deeper size premium via the S&P600? You’d need to use either the tax-managed small cap mutual fund or an ETF like VIOV/IJS. It’s about half the market cap of VG SC.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 12:02 pm
dbr wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:59 am
Thanks. Yes, I see him active on this forum actually. Hey, maybe 100% SCV and then payoff my house and move 10% to bonds or a money market fund right before retirement is the way to go. Innumerable ways to skin this cat.
A more typical application of the theory would be 70% bonds 30% SCV in lieu of perhaps 50% bonds and 50% TSM, or whatever the numbers are (I am guessing). Larry is an advocate of take no more risk than necessary.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm

vineviz wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:36 pm

It is not really accurate to say that "it takes a LONG time for value to win".

It would be more accurate to say that sometimes growth stocks outperform value stocks for a long time, and sometimes value stocks outperform growth stocks for a long time. You could say the same thing about small stocks versus large stocks and U.S. stocks versus foreign stocks. Or even about bonds versus stocks.

The length of time it takes for one to 'win' depends entirely on which will be in favor soon, which is impossible to know. That's why a smart portfolio includes a mix of different asset classes, factor exposures, etc.

Yes, thank you for making the correct comments about this characteristic of statistically variable performance.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm
OP. How about a smaller percentage but a deeper size premium via the S&P600? You’d need to use either the tax-managed small cap mutual fund or an ETF like VIOV/IJS. It’s about half the market cap of VG SC.
Hi MotoTrojan: Thanks for this suggestion. VIOV seems like a much purer small cap value fund. When I combine it with VTSAX at 75% and VIOV at 25% the small cap value percentage comes to 28%, which is far higher than anything else I see through Vanguard.

I’ve been shying away from ETFs mostly due to buying whole shares and not being able to automate investing. This could be a reason to change my tune.

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:
Hi MotoTrojan: Thanks for this suggestion. VIOV seems like a much purer small cap value fund. When I combine it with VTSAX at 75% and VIOV at 25% the small cap value percentage comes to 28%, which is far higher than anything else I see through Vanguard.
Even better is SLYV, which tracks the same index as VIOV with a 5bp lower expense ratio.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Fri May 18, 2018 11:41 pm

vineviz wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 11:32 pm

Even better is SLYV, which tracks the same index as VIOV with a 5bp lower expense ratio.
Nice! Can I buy it through Vanguard?

vineviz

Post by vineviz » Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 am

Through Vanguard Brokerage Services, yes.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat May 19, 2018 12:24 pm

vineviz wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:05 am
Through Vanguard Brokerage Services, yes.
No fee?

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat May 19, 2018 12:27 pm

guyesmith wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:29 pm
MotoTrojan wrote:

I’ve been shying away from ETFs mostly due to buying whole shares and not being able to automate investing. This could be a reason to change my tune.
If you want the smaller size but don’t desire value, the tax-managed small-cap mutual fund tracks the S&P600.

75/25 this split seems like a better risk-adjusted trade-off to me. I’d still add a touch of International. Maybe VSS or a similar international small-cap fund will wet your appetite for more risk while also further diversifying? Given the correlation between large-caps here and abroad, I’ve contemplated using only International small cap and emerging markets. For now I just stick to Total Int though.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Sat May 19, 2018 2:50 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 12:27 pm
If you want the smaller size but don’t desire value, the tax-managed small-cap mutual fund tracks the S&P600.

75/25 this split seems like a better risk-adjusted trade-off to me. I’d still add a touch of International. Maybe VSS or a similar international small-cap fund will wet your appetite for more risk while also further diversifying? Given the correlation between large-caps here and abroad, I’ve contemplated using only International small cap and emerging markets. For now I just stick to Total Int though.
Tax-Managed Small-Cap looks like a viable option. No need for tax-managed in a Roth, but the returns are still better. Thanks!

Total International makes sense through Vanguard. If you're happy there and want to set it and forget it might as well stay. There is a chance I should just do that simple 2 or 3 fund approach and stop thinking about asset tilting.

Never fear, I do have some international:

My entire retirement portfolio:

38% SEP IRA: Entirely invested in VTWSX (Total World)
9% Wife Roth: ^Same
53% My Roth: Entirely invested in VTSAX (Total US)
100% Retirement Funds

Which means this is my 'real' allocation right now:

Large-cap Value 28.97%
Large-cap Growth 33.28%
Mid-cap Value 5.00%
Mid-cap Growth 5.09%
Small-cap Value 0.81%
Small-cap Growth 1.61%
Global ex-US Developed Market 19.06%
Emerging Markets 6.18%

^I got this from Portfolio Visualizer. Not sure how accurate their breakdowns are?

At the moment my plan is to leave the SEP IRA as is for...ever, and likely won't be added to (previous employer). Hers I will change as it grows, most likely to match mine. This conversation for me has been more about splicing the holdings in my Roth. With these index funds the mid and small, while market cap weighted of course, just seems a bit insignificant to me.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 pm

No reason to look at Roth only. Look at the entire portfolio.

guyesmith

Post by guyesmith » Sat May 19, 2018 9:22 pm

MotoTrojan wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 pm
No reason to look at Roth only. Look at the entire portfolio.
Yeah, 25% international.