Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
kjsammy

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019!

Post by kjsammy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:58 am

May, 2019. Will be 65 that month.

Thought I would retire last fall but switched to part time until May.

2 bits

Post by 2 bits » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 am

Congratulations to Tycoon and Inmydreams. And have a great week to David Jay and Cyclist.
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:16 pm
On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please sign up if you wish to be included in this Fantabulous Class :D
Being the charter member of the Infinity Class is a high honor indeed.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:32 pm
Tycoon wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:09 am
I worked my last day yesterday. So long Megacorp, hello happiness.
Congratulations Tycoon and best wishes for a long enjoyable retirement filled with wonderful new experiences :happy
And don't mess with Texas 8-)
Thank you.

Let the final journey begin. 8-)
Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; | Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; | Thy fate is the common fate of all, | Into each life some rain must fall, | Some days must be dark and dreary. | Longfellow

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:14 pm

2 bits wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:29 am
Congratulations to Tycoon and Inmydreams. And have a great week to David Jay and Cyclist.
Thank you.
Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; | Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; | Thy fate is the common fate of all, | Into each life some rain must fall, | Some days must be dark and dreary. | Longfellow

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 pm

kjsammy wrote: May, 2019. Will be 65 that month.

Thought I would retire last fall but switched to part time until May.
Ok good, let us know your R-date and we'll log you into the 2019 Roll Call Class :happy

Any plans for retirement? How about the Bogleheads Conference in October?

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 pm

TheTimeLord wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018/2019 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please sign up if you wish to be included in this Fantabulous Class :D
Being the charter member of the Infinity Class is a high honor indeed.
The Infinity Class! And our very own TimeLord as our Charter Member 8-)

Vagabondette

Post by Vagabondette » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Hi Everyone! Long time lurker here, posting for the first time to join the 2019 retirement roll call! My target last day of work is May 10, and I’ll be 44. My husband is retiring a couple of weeks before me, and will be 52. We have an amazing early retirement plan and I am (literally) counting the days until we are there. We are selling our house and will be traveling the world in an overland truck for the next three-ish years, along with our four year old son and our awesome Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. In our first year we are going up the west coast all the way to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean, and then we’ll ship to Colombia and go all through South America. After that, TBD! It’s going to be an incredible adventure and we could not be more excited for our family retirement adventure. Thanks to this board for years of good financial advice that helped make our retirement dream happen! T minus 117 days....

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 pm

Vagabondette wrote: Hi Everyone! Long time lurker here, posting for the first time to join the 2019 retirement roll call! My target last day of work is May 10, and I’ll be 44. My husband is retiring a couple of weeks before me, and will be 52. We have an amazing early retirement plan and I am (literally) counting the days until we are there. We are selling our house and will be traveling the world in an overland truck for the next three-ish years, along with our four year old son and our awesome Rhodesian Ridgeback dog. In our first year we are going up the west coast all the way to Tuktoyaktuk on the Arctic Ocean, and then we’ll ship to Colombia and go all through South America. After that, TBD! It’s going to be an incredible adventure and we could not be more excited for our family retirement adventure. Thanks to this board for years of good financial advice that helped make our retirement dream happen! T minus 117 days....
Hi Vagabondette and welcome to the Bogleheads! and welcome to this very prestigious Retirement Roll Call :D

Now . . . about your retirement plans :shock:

Here is a photo of Tuktoyaktuk - your first goal up the west coast to the Arctic Ocean 8-)

Without question, you will take the prize for the Most Adventurous Boglehead Retirement Plan :beer - even our founding Retirement Roll Call mother, VictoriaF, does not venture out in her outlandish retirement adventures to the Arctic Circle in an overland truck with a Rhodesian Ridgeback (although I will admit, they are awesome dogs and she probably should have had one with her, and no question that 4-year-old sons are awesome kids :D

We share your enthusiasm for this adventurous retirement plan and wish you best of travels with the wind at your back and the open road ahead of you :sharebeer

Vagabondette

Post by Vagabondette » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm

Thank you for the very warm welcome! I would post a pic of our truck but it doesn't look like I can. It's a beast! :D

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:26 am

Vagabondette wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm
I would post a pic of our truck but it doesn't look like I can. It's a beast! :D
You have to host the picture somewhere else (your dropbox, imgBB, etc.) and insert the link here.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

JonnyBeRetired

Post by JonnyBeRetired » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Hi all! My DW introduced me to this wonderful site nearly three years ago with a simple ‘Here, you might like this’. Ever since I’ve been immersed in reading (and re-reading) posts and wikis on allocation, simplification, tax efficient placement, conversion strategies, withdrawal strategies, and more - simply an amazing wealth of information and all generously shared. I’ve found it to be enormously helpful and reassuring as I moved toward my retirement date. Thank you all!

My last day was January 9th after 34 years with the same firm. Age 56.
Jon

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:23 pm

Tycoon wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:
Tycoon wrote: I worked my last day yesterday. So long Megacorp, hello happiness.
Congratulations Tycoon and best wishes for a long enjoyable retirement filled with wonderful new experiences :happy
And don't mess with Texas 8-)
Thank you.
Let the final journey begin. 8-)
Tycoon - what happened to Texas?? :shock: :shock:

Topic Author
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:38 pm

JonnyBeRetired wrote: Hi all! My DW introduced me to this wonderful site nearly three years ago with a simple ‘Here, you might like this’. Ever since I’ve been immersed in reading (and re-reading) posts and wikis on allocation, simplification, tax efficient placement, conversion strategies, withdrawal strategies, and more - simply an amazing wealth of information and all generously shared. I’ve found it to be enormously helpful and reassuring as I moved toward my retirement date. Thank you all!
JonnyBeRetired - Welcome to the Retirement Roll Call! Yes, finding this wonderful site has been enormously helpful and reassuring for all of us as we move through our financial lives toward retirement :happy We also learn how to trap mice in the attic, cook oatmeal with Dr. Pepper, and whiten our teeth :mrgreen:
JonnyBeRetired wrote: My last day was January 9th after 34 years with the same firm. Age 56.
Congratulations! That's impressive, 34 years with the same firm. Must give you a good feeling of work well done and now no regrets as you move into the next phase of your life. You're on this Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roll Call - and so far, at age 56, you're our youngest retiree 8-) What are your plans?