My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:08 am

The official news released by Honda.ca did include the phrase of "over-dilution of oil with fuel" :

http://www.hondanews.ca/en/news/release ... s--UPDATE3

It also mentioned about checking "www.honda.ca/recalls".

It is no longer an unknown issue... in Canada.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:42 pm

HONDA CRV - WATCH THIS VIDEO BEFORE PURCHASE - OIL DILUTION
(Pretty much what I've been living with)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrtULlp ... 5pCmGfO2VM

Who knows? -- maybe the 2019 will be OK. :confused

But I wouldn't want to roll the dice....
Image
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 8104
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:36 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:16 pm
Horsefly wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:07 pm
So Colorado is not considered a "cold weather" state? That will come as a shock to some of the ski areas here that have snow from late October through June....
Well, Colorado isn't included because states starting with "C" are specifically excluded. Note Connecticut, which gets slightly more snow than Florida.
I don't know if that is mean to be funny or if you actually think that? :shock: I hope it is the former and not the latter! I assure you Connecticut gets plenty of snow though if you live along Long Island Sound it is much milder than inland. 60" is the average snowfall, I doubt Florida gets 6" on average in the northern most part of the state.
It was a joke. Note that I live in Massachusetts, not far from the Connecticut border and own a "Plow Truck" to clear my driveway of snow. I found it humorous that states NOT included in the campaign included Colorado and Connecticut. Thus my assumption that Honda does not like states beginning with "C".
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
parsi1
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 8:03 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by parsi1 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:51 am

In the new issue of Consumer Reports (Dec 2018) there is an article about problems with the new turbo engines but there is no mention of CRV problems. Actually CRV is still on their recommended list.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm

The "fix" is slowly rolling out and a few people are reporting on the crvownersclub website. Not many yet, but so far the results are not encouraging. No-one has said "voila! it works!", but some are saying "&%^*!". Keeping an eye on it but not especially surprised so far. PT Barnum would be amused.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... re-50.html
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 1244
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by UpperNwGuy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:31 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm
The "fix" is slowly rolling out and a few people are reporting on the crvownersclub website. Not many yet, but so far the results are not encouraging. No-one has said "voila! it works!", but some are saying "&%^*!". Keeping an eye on it but not especially surprised so far. PT Barnum would be amused.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... re-50.html
Is the fix just a software change, or does it include hardware changes? I fear that the problem relates to the physical design of the engine, so I would be skeptical of a software-only fix.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:51 pm

Authorized Honda dealers performing the free product update will upload new software into vehicle, change the engine oil, and, in certain vehicles, replace the air conditioning control unit.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:47 am

CULater wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:25 pm
The "fix" is slowly rolling out and a few people are reporting on the crvownersclub website. Not many yet, but so far the results are not encouraging. No-one has said "voila! it works!", but some are saying "&%^*!". Keeping an eye on it but not especially surprised so far. PT Barnum would be amused.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... re-50.html
Fix-here thread got shut down. No need to do that if fix is convincingly working.

I guess if your piston rings are already worn out in diluted oil, a software fix cannot repair them...

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:27 pm

I was following that thread also to see comments from owners who have gotten the "fix." Results seemed mixed so far. I doubt that a software update will help much, as it seems to be intended to heat the engine up more quickly to help in colder climates, and I don't have that problem. Am still interested in other sites where owners are posting their experience before I decide to get it done.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

HondaOwner5150
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by HondaOwner5150 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 pm

I wanted to add to this forum to report that this problem is more prevalent than claimed. The problem in my honda developed within 2,000 miles. Stalling, lurching, fuel in oil. No fix for Kansas or Missouri currently slated. However, Honda must recognize that this is a real problem. It is widespread. I'm documenting everything with the dealer and will enact the lemon law if this is not repaired within 4 efforts as stipulated under law. As the first occurrence happened within a month of ownership, I would expect that Honda must fix this within the next few months. Advice to all: DON'T BUY A HONDA UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS ADDRESSED.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

HondaOwner5150 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:01 pm
I wanted to add to this forum to report that this problem is more prevalent than claimed. The problem in my honda developed within 2,000 miles. Stalling, lurching, fuel in oil. No fix for Kansas or Missouri currently slated. However, Honda must recognize that this is a real problem. It is widespread. I'm documenting everything with the dealer and will enact the lemon law if this is not repaired within 4 efforts as stipulated under law. As the first occurrence happened within a month of ownership, I would expect that Honda must fix this within the next few months. Advice to all: DON'T BUY A HONDA UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS ADDRESSED.
Thanks and Amen to that. I hope you are successful with a Lemon Law claim. There is a major defect with this engine and until it is replaced with a new engine, this problem will remain. Maybe next Gen CRV, but I won't be interested. Will be looking hard at the 2019 RAV4. Has port as well as direct injection and no turbo. I'd stay away from all small turbo, direct-injection engines, especially the ones in Hondas. Major engineering screwup.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

mariezzz
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by mariezzz » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm

Class action lawsuit - but only in Georgia: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

Still, might get Honda's attention.
Honda fuel dilution problems have caused a lawsuit that alleges 2015-2018 Honda Civics, CR-Vs and Honda Accords have 1.5-liter direct injection turbocharged engine defects that cause engine oil to dilute with gasoline.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:39 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:12 pm
Class action lawsuit - but only in Georgia: https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2018 ... suit.shtml

Still, might get Honda's attention.
Honda fuel dilution problems have caused a lawsuit that alleges 2015-2018 Honda Civics, CR-Vs and Honda Accords have 1.5-liter direct injection turbocharged engine defects that cause engine oil to dilute with gasoline.
We need one of those lawsuits to be certified by a judge as a class action suit. That will get Honda's attention.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

steadyhand
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:56 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by steadyhand » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm

2019s are out. Almost zero changes.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:48 pm

steadyhand wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 pm
2019s are out. Almost zero changes.
They're supposed to have the software update. One way to tell if it is doing anything is to track owner complaints about the 2019 on CarComplaints.com. If oil dilution is still happening, complaints ought to start showing up in about January.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm

So, Honda revised the Owner's Manual for the 2017 and 2018 CRV and it now includes the following:
NOTICE:

Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above the upper mark. If you have a concern, consult a dealer for details.
This is wrong on so many levels. This is probably the only actual "fix" that is coming -- a fix to the Owner's Manual. And the advice to consult a dealer is completely worthless, as I've found repeatedly. Should change the wording to "if you have a concern, good luck to you sucker!"
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am

I heard that the first recall attempt in China also included a new dipstick with a higher upper marking. That was rejected back in Feb. I wonder if the 2019 CRV would have that "fix".

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

wasp09 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:32 am
I heard that the first recall attempt in China also included a new dipstick with a higher upper marking. That was rejected back in Feb. I wonder if the 2019 CRV would have that "fix".
That would not surprise me. Honda seems to be taking the position that fuel dilution is "normal" in their 1.5T engine and that the only problem is that a small number of owners are irrationally upset by it. So, they post a youtube propaganda video, edit their owner's manual, and make public statements to publications like CR that trivialize the issue, and promise a "fix" that is being trickled out and probably won't fix anything. So, it would be perfectly consistent with this approach to change the dipstick. Or better yet, be like Audi and don't even have a dipstick. Problem solved. Think I might go into the Honda parts department and buy another one in January or so just to see if it is different. Who knows? Maybe we're in the age of the New Normal for turbo, direct injection engines and Not To Worry. One benefit -- you never have to add oil between oil changes anymore.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 8104
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:46 am

Oh, that's good. So when the rod bearings stock knocking, will the approved factory solution be to turn up the radio?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

2017HatchCivic
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by 2017HatchCivic » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 am

Just came back from a Honda dealer in Ontario, you can no longer buy the thermostat for a 1.5t civic. Part is not available with a side note to call Tech Support. Clearly an issue with these thermostats also, witch I believe is my problem. I’ve done a few little tests when I had some free time. With 50-60% of the radiator blocked off i still only can only get coolant temp up to 179f. I can finally feel heat on the radiator and coolant hoses after a 110km trip of highway driving.

wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:16 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am
...One benefit -- you never have to add oil between oil changes anymore.
Correct. It still auto increases after the fix.

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... ost1510161

Heating is marginally improved though.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:22 pm

Image of the redesigned Honda CRV dipstick on the top, compared to the existing CRV dipstick below. That should take care of the overfill issue. Rolling this out to 5 Northern states and perhaps to the other ones soon. Check with your dealer if you have concerns. :D

Image

BTW, the significance of the 30 mm on the image is that Honda has stated that an overfill up to 30 mm above the full mark on the dipstick is acceptable based on research they said they conducted on Chinese CRVs when they were forced to recall over 350,000 vehicles. Chinese regulators didn't buy it. You be the judge.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Turbo29
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 7:12 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by Turbo29 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm

You people need the class action lawyers that sued Volkswagen.

User avatar
msi
Posts: 369
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:15 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by msi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Why is this only happening on some CR-V's? Is it the driving conditions, a quality control issue, or is everyone affected and only some people actually know about it?

wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:01 am

CR-V is probably the heaviest of all, i.e. more stress to the small engine.

I guess it is the latter.

My wife's badminton friend bought a new CRV a couple months ago before we could tell her about the dilution and no heat issues. Before that she told us about looking for a car and it had to be a Honda. I feel sorry about that.

However after we warned her about checking the oil level, she never check. She even questioned me if Honda could do anything wrong with a 45 thousand dollar vehicle. Unfortunately the answer is yes.

Oh well, it is going down to -20C next few nights here. I wish her luck.

TLC1957
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am
Location: Pa

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am

Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed

neilpilot
Posts: 1923
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by neilpilot » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am
Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed
It's best not to check oil immediately after you shutdown your engine. If you check at each fillup, how long do you allow the oil accumulating in the top end of the engine to avoid a misleading reading?

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am
Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed
I have a devil of a time seeing exactly where the oil level is on that hellish orange dipsticky thing. I hope you are more successful. I finally bought another CRV dipstick from the dealer parts department and knocked the orange plastic tip off and scored a line where the overfill mark is located. Now I can see it much more easily but still a challenge until the oil gets darker.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

TLC1957
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am
Location: Pa

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am
Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed
It's best not to check oil immediately after you shutdown your engine. If you check at each fillup, how long do you allow the oil accumulating in the top end of the engine to avoid a misleading reading?
The following is from the owners manual which is what I do, take care of the gas....pump, nozzle,start filling the tank ....then check the oil.


"Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil."

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 49271
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am
Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed
I'm in the Philadelphia area and have a 2012 CR-V with 86k miles which does not have this engine.

The first seriously cold temperature is starting to hit now, with a low Thursday night of 15 deg F (-9 deg C). I recommend checking how long the engine takes to get up to temperature, then see if the heater can keep you warm.

We can compare notes.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TLC1957
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:49 am
Location: Pa

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:28 pm

CULater wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am
Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed
I have a devil of a time seeing exactly where the oil level is on that hellish orange dipsticky thing. I hope you are more successful. I finally bought another CRV dipstick from the dealer parts department and knocked the orange plastic tip off and scored a line where the overfill mark is located. Now I can see it much more easily but still a challenge until the oil gets darker.
Oh yea got wear the reading glasses to read that stupid stick. :annoyed

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:44 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:26 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:58 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:31 am
Not ALL CRV owners have this problem.....I have a 2017 Touring with 19K miles with no problem....I check the oil level at each fill up.... I am in the Philadelphia area. Now that made this statement let's hope it does not start :annoyed
It's best not to check oil immediately after you shutdown your engine. If you check at each fillup, how long do you allow the oil accumulating in the top end of the engine to avoid a misleading reading?
The following is from the owners manual which is what I do, take care of the gas....pump, nozzle,start filling the tank ....then check the oil.


"Wait approximately three minutes after turning the engine off before you check the oil."
You can't believe how much debate there is about this over at the crvowners website. I've spend hours checking the oil every which way and it doesn't make much difference to write home about. I prefer the reading when the engine is cold and the oil has all drained back into the pan. It's easier to see the oil level when the oil is cold and at it's thickest. When it's hot, it is so runny that it's even harder to see where it is on the orange thing from Hell. The most important factor I've found is to make sure you're parked on a level surface and to check the oil parked in the same place as often as you can. The sump only holds 3.7 qt including the filter, and I've found the dipstick reading is surprisingly sensitive to being parked off-level. You really can't tell by eyeball in a strange parking place. I actually put a carpenter's level down on my garage floor to make sure it was deal level.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

wootwoot
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wootwoot » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:39 pm

CULater wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Will be looking hard at the 2019 RAV4. Has port as well as direct injection and no turbo. I'd stay away from all small turbo, direct-injection engines, especially the ones in Hondas. Major engineering screwup.
This problem is a honda exclusive. German cars have been using turbos and direct injection for 15+ years.

GW208
Posts: 63
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:53 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by GW208 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:19 pm

CULater wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:08 pm

Will be looking hard at the 2019 RAV4. Has port as well as direct injection and no turbo. I'd stay away from all small turbo, direct-injection engines, especially the ones in Hondas. Major engineering screwup.
Motor Trend seems to be unaware of the heating and oil problems as they still prefer the CRV over the 2019 RAV4.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/c ... ison-test/

wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:49 am

The "fix" included an update to the calculation of MM for more frequent oil changes:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... ost1511889

Oil change every gas fill up, oil dilution problem fixed. Isn't it simple? 8-)

The Casualty
Posts: 70
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by The Casualty » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:00 pm

Was seriously looking at the CRV as a replacement for our Accord. I'm surprised Honda hasn't been more communicative about the problem with the 1.5T engine. While it may not be a safety issue (that's an unknown IMO) it doesn't address the issue of long term reliability and maintenance. I've crossed the CRV off my list and will look at alternatives.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:50 am

wasp09 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:49 am
The "fix" included an update to the calculation of MM for more frequent oil changes:

https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/13 ... ost1511889

Oil change every gas fill up, oil dilution problem fixed. Isn't it simple? 8-)
New thread keep popping up on this at this forum. Thanks for spotting this one. I read all the posts so far, and it looks like the "fix" isn't working for everyone. There's even a question about whether it is designed to remedy the oil dilution issue or just the cabin heat issue. Sorta sounds like it is aimed at trying to get the engine to heat up faster which as a byproduct may help with oil dilution. At least Honda hopes it does. I'm still in the camp that thinks this is a bandaid to appease customers but that it will take more significant changes to the engine before Honda DI engines will perform as well with oil dilution as the DI engines everybody else is producing. Seems odd for the company that built it's reputation on it's engines.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

wasp09
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by wasp09 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:44 pm

That forum keeps shutting down threads mentioning about oil dilution. It is a Honda forum after all...

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:43 am

Catching up with my periodic survey of owner complaints about the CRV oil dilution issue. I note that on Carcomplaints.com there are now 163 NHTSA complaints about the 2017 CRV and 116 NHTSA complaints about the 2018, virtually all about oil dilution. Huge number of NHTSA complaints about a single problem. But Honda says it's just a trivial issue affecting a few eskimos who live near the arctic circle and take short drives in cold weather. And besides it's Normal! It says so right there in the Owner's Manual that they just revised after the CRV has been on the market for two years and Consumer Reports wrote an expose. :(

Just wanted to make sure to keep this issue in front of Boglehead eyeballs in hopes of saving just one more poor soul from buying a Honda CRV and ending up like me. Happy Holidays!
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Lugerhead
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by Lugerhead » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Lugerhead wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:00 pm
I bought a new CRV EXL in Nov 2017. Got it about 125 miles from home to dodge the worthless dealer option scam and the next morning just had to check it out. Found the oil level way over full. I’m a retired vehicle technician, 12 years in a dealership and 26 at FedEx. Dropped the panel and drained the oil down to a mark I scribed on the dipstick 1/8th inch below the full dot on the stick. Started watching the oil because I had heard of this dilution problem and to be honest didn’t believe it. By 3600 miles the oil level has risen to the full mark and was very dark for a new engine. Did a one quart drain at 3600 miles and added a fresh quart of 5w20 to help with viscosity. Also switched to 93 octane fuel at that time. Ran it to 5100 miles with no increase on the oil level and did a full oil and filter change.
Sent a sample to Blackstone and it came back with a 1.8 % fuel dilution and the viscosity below the specs for 0w20 oil. Remember I did a 1 quart change at 3600 miles so the dilution was well above 2.0 % at that time, plus the quart I added was 5w20 and it was still under the 0w20 level at 5100 miles. Ran that oil change to 8484 miles with still no increase in the oil level. That’s pushing 5k miles with no increase in the oil level on premium fuel. I sent another oil sample to Blackstone at the 8464 change and it came back with a 1.5% fuel dilution that Blackstone called normal and said “the engine made nice progress”. The viscosity was in the normal range also. I would like to post the oil sample reports but not sure how to. As far as the premium fuel I’m not surprised or disappointed I’m having to pay for premium fuel. This 1.5 engine as a static compression ratio of 10.7:1 which is in the premium fuel needed zone even without the higher dynamic compression ratio caused by the turbo. When I read the specs on this engine I thought how’d they do that? But really don’t think they really did. I’ve never seen a engine benefit more from premium fuel. Drive ability is fantastic along with the fuel mileage. Last oil change it averaged 31.4 over the 3372 miles with me towing a 820 lb boat/trailer 40-60 miles a week. I’ve seen above 40 mpg going to the beach with it averaging 36 for the whole trip.
I’m going to run this oil change 4K miles and do another sample to make sure the viscosity is holding up. May try a 5k if it checks good but with a 3.5 quart capacity that may be a stretch.
Don’t think Honda is the only one that’s having this problem but may be the worse. Maybe they will come up with something but with a lifetime of experience building engines I think it all comes back to compression and enough octane levels in the fuel to make it run without over adjusting the timing of things going on under that hood.
Have a update to post. CRV turned 13317 miles and I did another oil change and sample. This sample had 4024 miles on it and didn't see any increase in the oil level. The sample came back with a good report "per Blackstone". 1.8% fuel dilution,SUS Viscosity @ 210F was 45.9. Values should have been 46-56 so it was low. 1.8 % dilution would be about 2 ounces or 4 tablespoons of fuel dilution. 112 ounces of engine oil x .018. This would be close to the previous sample at 1.5% dilution in 3372 miles basically showing 1 tablespoon of fuel dilution per 1000 miles on 93 octane fuel. Guess 2 ounces of fuel is not going to be noticeable on the stick but I"m going to sneak my wife's measuring spoon out in the garage next time and see if i can see 4 tablespoons on the dipstick. I'm going to copy their write up here.

"Here's another good one for your CRV. Wear metals continued to drop and that's after using a longer interval than last time. That shows there was some lingering wear-in material in the last sample, and it washed out with the oil change. There might be a little wear in material in this sample so you might see some improvements next time, but if not , steady wear would be fine too. The viscosity was a little low and there was some fuel (1.8%}, but neither is harmful at this level. Some of these engines have lots of fuel {5.0%+}, but yours isn't struggling with that."

I did this oil change on 11/16/18, almost a year to the date from when I bought it last year so this will be good to watch how this change does this winter. I used straight 0w20 with no mixing so we will see how it does.
I still don't understand what Honda is thinking on this problem. You can see and they know what 2ounces of fuel can do to oil viscosity. Yet they are saying it can go to 30mm over full and be ok. That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. When I was draining the one quart out, when I did the one quart change early in this project, I did measure it out and one inch on the dip stick is a quart or 32 ounces. One inch is 25.4 MM, that means Honda is saying its ok to have 32 ounces of fuel in the oil. That's like a 30% fuel dilution.
After going through all this I'm thinking mine may live a long life with premium fuel and 4000 mile oil changes, but I wouldn't go a mile over 4000 on a oil change. I may not do anymore samples,unless I test another brand oil or I get the same increase in oil level I did last winter. Will be interesting to say the least.
On the premium fuel and price of, I use my A tripometer as my service minder, plus I can get the average mpg off of it. This oil change it averaged 31.5 4024 miles, time before was 31.4 for 3372 miles. I was getting on average 26.6 on 87 octane. You can run the numbers but with the prices I have, it cost me $13 to run premium fuel over the 87 octane for 4024 miles at .60 more a gallon. Ive seen it cheaper and higher but I'd say .60 is a good average. I keep a monthly budget log with the total gas purchases each month, If you thumb through the legal pad you can't see where anything changed when I went to 93 octane. Not trying to tell anyone what to do but I"d not wait on Honda and I'm just passing on what I've done and learned.
Have a Merry Christmas

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm

Has anyone gotten the "fix" from Honda that is supposed to be the cure and can report on it? Should be rolling out now to sufferers in some northern tier states. Canada should have gotten it before now.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Morse Code
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by Morse Code » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 pm

I have a 2018 with 11,000 miles. I am the perfect candidate for this problem as I live in Michigan, 2 miles from work and go home frequently for lunch. This means I take about 15 short trips a week.

I had my oil changed yesterday at a Honda dealership and I asked them to document the oil level before draining. They said I was a 1/2 quart overfilled (6000 miles since last change.) I have no other symptoms or problems like smell in the cabin, heating issues, stalling, etc.

This appears to be a minor issue at this point for my vehicle. Hopefully the software update will help and I can expect a good long life from this engine. My driving habits would not be good for the longevity of any engine.
Livin' the dream

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 pm

Morse Code wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 pm
I have a 2018 with 11,000 miles. I am the perfect candidate for this problem as I live in Michigan, 2 miles from work and go home frequently for lunch. This means I take about 15 short trips a week.

I had my oil changed yesterday at a Honda dealership and I asked them to document the oil level before draining. They said I was a 1/2 quart overfilled (6000 miles since last change.) I have no other symptoms or problems like smell in the cabin, heating issues, stalling, etc.

This appears to be a minor issue at this point for my vehicle. Hopefully the software update will help and I can expect a good long life from this engine. My driving habits would not be good for the longevity of any engine.
I'm not sure everyone would agree that 1/2 qt of fuel in an oil sump that holds 3.7 qt (including filter) is a minor issue. At least not the hundreds of people who have posted on the crvowners website or to carcomplaints.com and filed complaints with NHSTA. I'm sure you do have some concerns about the long term effects. I wouldn't mind it either except for worrying that my engine is going to start to disintegrate from insufficient lubrication about the time the warranty runs out. I sure don't plan on keeping this thing until then to find out.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

smitcat
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by smitcat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:15 pm

CULater wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:10 pm
Morse Code wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:22 pm
I have a 2018 with 11,000 miles. I am the perfect candidate for this problem as I live in Michigan, 2 miles from work and go home frequently for lunch. This means I take about 15 short trips a week.

I had my oil changed yesterday at a Honda dealership and I asked them to document the oil level before draining. They said I was a 1/2 quart overfilled (6000 miles since last change.) I have no other symptoms or problems like smell in the cabin, heating issues, stalling, etc.

This appears to be a minor issue at this point for my vehicle. Hopefully the software update will help and I can expect a good long life from this engine. My driving habits would not be good for the longevity of any engine.
I'm not sure everyone would agree that 1/2 qt of fuel in an oil sump that holds 3.7 qt (including filter) is a minor issue. At least not the hundreds of people who have posted on the crvowners website or to carcomplaints.com and filed complaints with NHSTA. I'm sure you do have some concerns about the long term effects. I wouldn't mind it either except for worrying that my engine is going to start to disintegrate from insufficient lubrication about the time the warranty runs out. I sure don't plan on keeping this thing until then to find out.
You have done a great job documenting this problem - IMHO it is past time to sell your car and enjoy life.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Last post prompted me to look at NHTSA and now the number of complaints about the 2017 CRV is up to 196, virtually all about the oil dilution issue. Not sure I can track this, but I'm guessing this has to be one of the largest NHTSA complaint lists since the exploding airbag issue. And yet, we hardly hear about it and no-one is really doing anything significant about it. IMO the so-called software fix is a hoax -- when more people have had it done, we'll see.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

CrestSupeHawk
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:34 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CrestSupeHawk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm

CULater wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Has anyone gotten the "fix" from Honda that is supposed to be the cure and can report on it? Should be rolling out now to sufferers in some northern tier states. Canada should have gotten it before now.
Yes we have a 2018 CRV Touring purchased in April 2018. It now has 4,000 miles on it and we got the fix the first week in November. They changed the oil, did the software update, and changed out some hardware in the heating system. A month later the oil is about 3/4" over the high level mark. The "fix" does not appear to work. We are in Central WI. Never buying another Honda I will be buying Toyota again after this fiasco.

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:58 pm

CrestSupeHawk wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm
CULater wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Has anyone gotten the "fix" from Honda that is supposed to be the cure and can report on it? Should be rolling out now to sufferers in some northern tier states. Canada should have gotten it before now.
Yes we have a 2018 CRV Touring purchased in April 2018. It now has 4,000 miles on it and we got the fix the first week in November. They changed the oil, did the software update, and changed out some hardware in the heating system. A month later the oil is about 3/4" over the high level mark. The "fix" does not appear to work. We are in Central WI. Never buying another Honda I will be buying Toyota again after this fiasco.
Thanks for the feedback. Have been waiting to hear with skepticism, which seems to be justified. I agree with you about heading to Toyota after this.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

researcher
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by researcher » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:24 am

CULater wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:20 pm
Last post prompted me to look at NHTSA and now the number of complaints about the 2017 CRV is up to 196, virtually all about the oil dilution issue. Not sure I can track this, but I'm guessing this has to be one of the largest NHTSA complaint lists since the exploding airbag issue. And yet, we hardly hear about it and no-one is really doing anything significant about it. IMO the so-called software fix is a hoax -- when more people have had it done, we'll see.
CULater -

I thought you decided several months ago to trade in your CR-V and get something else.
What happened to that plan?

smitcat
Posts: 2094
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by smitcat » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

CrestSupeHawk wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm
CULater wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Has anyone gotten the "fix" from Honda that is supposed to be the cure and can report on it? Should be rolling out now to sufferers in some northern tier states. Canada should have gotten it before now.
Yes we have a 2018 CRV Touring purchased in April 2018. It now has 4,000 miles on it and we got the fix the first week in November. They changed the oil, did the software update, and changed out some hardware in the heating system. A month later the oil is about 3/4" over the high level mark. The "fix" does not appear to work. We are in Central WI. Never buying another Honda I will be buying Toyota again after this fiasco.
"I will be buying Toyota again after this fiasco."
Please do your research before you buy.....
http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excessive ... nsumption/

CULater
Posts: 1606
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:59 am

Re: My 2017 CRV is a victim of the dreaded oil gas-dilution issue

Post by CULater » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:16 am

smitcat wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am
CrestSupeHawk wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm
CULater wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm
Has anyone gotten the "fix" from Honda that is supposed to be the cure and can report on it? Should be rolling out now to sufferers in some northern tier states. Canada should have gotten it before now.
Yes we have a 2018 CRV Touring purchased in April 2018. It now has 4,000 miles on it and we got the fix the first week in November. They changed the oil, did the software update, and changed out some hardware in the heating system. A month later the oil is about 3/4" over the high level mark. The "fix" does not appear to work. We are in Central WI. Never buying another Honda I will be buying Toyota again after this fiasco.
"I will be buying Toyota again after this fiasco."
Please do your research before you buy.....
http://www.toyotaproblems.com/excessive ... nsumption/
This looks like an old article. I agree though that it is imperative to check out prospective vehicles on websites like Carcomplaints.com and owner's forums and wait for the 2nd or 3rd year after introduction. Had I waited for the 2018 CRV and been checking for problems on the internet, I would never have even looked at the CRV.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Post Reply