Tax software recommendation for CPA

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Buster65

Tax software recommendation for CPA

Post by Buster65 »

I'm not a tax accountant but I am a CPS so I want something a little more professional than Turbotax. I like seeing the tax forms as information is entered into tax software. Does anybody have any suggestion for tax software? I will use this for myself and perhaps 5-10 other returns I do for friends and family.
FoolishJumper

Re: Tax software recommendation for CPA

Post by FoolishJumper »

Many larger CPA firms that do significant tax use ProSeries, which is the professional software from Intuit, which is the same company that does TurboTax. Unfortunately the cost is significantly higher than you'd pay for TurboTax. It really only makes sense when you have 20+ returns. TurboTax makes me want to rip my hair out, and I could never stay sane to do the 100+ returns I do per year, but the cost for your 10 returns would be about $40 per return, so just a question of that's worth your sanity.

UltraTax and Lacerte are two other common programs, but once you use a certain software, you never change as transferring year to year becomes unbearable, so I can speak to the quality. Worth checking if those are more cost effective.
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

I'm not a CPA but I like Tax Act professional version. It does allow for a 'forms' view. I've never tried to use it in split screen showing both the questions and form at the same time though. For certain topics, such as Form 8606 IIRC, I have noticed it will show the form below the questions but that's not the case for every topic.

-Steph
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

When I was doing tax preparation, I first used Pro Series.

I later switched to Tax Act professional version.
I was well satisfied with it.

I got tired of Pro Series dinking me with price increases year after year after.

These are both pretty expensive for only 10 tax returns.

Don
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

Buster65 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm I'm not a tax accountant but I am a CPS so I want something a little more professional than Turbotax. I like seeing the tax forms as information is entered into tax software. Does anybody have any suggestion for tax software? I will use this for myself and perhaps 5-10 other returns I do for friends and family.
am CPA I use the downloaded version of taxact.

The online is fine too but they hide the full forms. I assume so you don't just print them off... You pay up front for the downloaded version but the online is pay when filed.

It works well so far. I would really like them to finish the 8911 so I can file...
Pacman

Post by Pacman »

I would recommend you ask this over at the forums over at taxprotalk.com. There is some advanced software that lets you pay per return, so you are not paying a ton of money upfront.
Topic Author
Buster65

Post by Buster65 »

Thanks all. Will check out TaxAct Pro
spectec

Post by spectec »

Drake Tax Software is an excellent choice as well. It's lightning fast and doesn't chew up memory like some packages that are loaded with bells & whistles. Their pay-per-return package is $300 for the first 15 returns, then $20 per return for everything over that. If your volume ever increases to the point that you are approaching their $1,500 plan, they open you up to unlimited at no additional charge. There is a learning curve, but most Drake users never turn to anything else once they master it. https://www.drakesoftware.com
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers