BMW All Surface Protection Program

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
yetanotherboglehead

BMW All Surface Protection Program

Post by yetanotherboglehead » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am

I have a couple of days to decide whether I want to get the "All Surface Protection Program" for my new BMW. It costs about ~$1200 for a 7 year coverage (Interior and Exterior). The interior coverage includes stains, odors, fading, punctures (0.25"), tears (1"), etc. The exterior coverage includes weather induced fading, loss of gloss, hard water etching, head light dulling etc.

I generally flat out refuse these add-ons, but this time I am tempted because the car has light interiors and we have a baby on the way. There isn't any information or reviews about this program online (dealer claims it is a new program that started late 2017).

Would you purchase it? Why or why not?

Thanks!

mhalley

Re: BMW All Surface Protection Program

Post by mhalley » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:17 am

How many times could you have your car detailed for that price? Nothing protects interiors from children. I would invest in a seat cover instead. Hard pass for me.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 am

These add on are essentially gimme to the dealer. The value of that thing is under $50. Not only they take $1200 from you now, they will also insist that you bring the vehicle back to them for "refresh" and that will cost you money.

These are the things to avoid like plague when purchasing a vehicle from a dealer.

Spray scothguard for auto on any cloth material inside the vehicle. Buy few cans; let the coverage dry for a while and call it a day. For outside, you can either forget it or if ou have money find local highly recommended detailer who can do the permanent glass/ceramic coating on the paint.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 am

yetanotherboglehead wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:16 am
The interior coverage includes stains, odors, fading, punctures (0.25"), tears (1"), etc. The exterior coverage includes weather induced fading, loss of gloss, hard water etching, head light dulling etc.
Interior and exterior materials and finishes should easily last seven years without significant damage or wear assuming reasonable care and barring abuse. Seems like only people who don't take care of their car normally would have those particular problems if the quality is up to par in the first place. I would question whether or not I should buy a car if the manufacturer thinks that the quality of the materials and finishes is so poor that they need to sell expensive insurance for them.

orthodoc

Post by orthodoc » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:51 am

The only thing I would suggest is the tire/wheel package if you have low profile, run-flat tires. I would have been a lot of money ahead if I had purchased it. The car is long gone but the lesson I learned will stick with me. We have more than our share of potholes but even minor road issues caused tire damage. It was a blast to drive but I won't be rejoining that club any time soon!

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:34 pm

I would not purchase the package. Leather seats clean up very well. If you are concerned about protection, buy a seat cover from BMW. I use one in the back seat of my 2008 BMW where my large dog sits. When I remove the cover, the seats are still in perfect condition.
Regarding the exterior, my 20 year old BMW (garage kept) still looks great after all this time. Just an annual wax job for the exterior.

CFIT

Post by CFIT » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I just bought a BMW X3 a few days ago. On of the extras that they wanted to sell me on closing was treatment with Cilajet for $645. Looking around the Web I didn't find any favorable reviews that were not from BMW dealers or the company itself. I'm passing on Cilajet.

nhdean

Post by nhdean » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:59 pm

Dealer cost on those products are around $400 - $500, FYI

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:00 pm

As the owner of a 7+ year-old daily-drive BMW, I'd say absolutely no way. Save it for the out-of-warranty maintenance :D . The older it gets, the less you will care about the subtle cosmetic effects of aging and the more you will care about the costly mechanical repairs.

Now if they'd cover parking-lot door-dings...
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

Topic Author
yetanotherboglehead

Post by yetanotherboglehead » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks for the feedback folks. It's really helpful! :happy

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:20 am

OP, In a different post you mentioned that you wanted to keep your new BMW really shiny. If you have your car professionally detailed once per year for 7 years you will spend more than $1200 anyway. Is there a way you can give us an idea of what this program covers and how often it can be used? $1200 is $171 per year for 7 years. If you keep the car and use the plan the numbers don't look all that bad, especially if you negotiate a price reduction. This certainly isn't for everyone but they will have some takers, BMW is betting either you sell the car and/or don't use the program.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 am

Also confirm it’s a BMW program and how service works.

I used a damage protection plan on wheel scuffs. Took to dealer, and three calls later to independent insurance companies they located my info. Claim required a tech of their choosing do the work, even though dealer was capable.

Was sold to me as an in-house product (yes, I could’ve scrutinized paperwork far better). Cancelled and after pro-rata’d return (and factoring repair) I about broke even.

17M4Ridin

Post by 17M4Ridin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 pm

I got it for my M4. I got the finance guy to lower it to $900 didn't want it but my wife made me. Usually think these things are a gimmick but since it is a BMW Program I took a shot along with the wheel and tire since the rims are hella expensive. Well it paid off in my case. I picked up my daughter from a birthday party and she threw up all over the front seat and carpet. I was upset since this car is my second child :D. I took it into the dealership service department after I tried to clean it myself and the smell wouldn't go away. They looked it up by my VIN and said they would take care of the cleaning. They got it all clean and the smell out I was surprised they took care of it usually these gimmicks don't pay. I did look at the contract afterwards and it is a BMW product and heck I will just take it to the dealership to do a cleaning once a year for "bird poop" :sharebeer.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:05 pm

Bmw takes their cars to Indy detailers. They have a contract for their used cars. Probably making a killing. That said, I do a yearly detail with the same Indy retailer that cost me $300 for my Bmw suv.

SEBO1975

Post by SEBO1975 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:57 pm

$1200 for 7 years, no deductible is a bargain. They cover rips or tears on leather up to 1 inch. They also cover fading, loss of gloss, oxidation, bird droppings, insects, acid rain, brake dust staining on chrome on aluminum wheels and headlight lens dulling. I understand that dealer makes some money on it. 1 detail costs $200-$250, twice a year for 7 years?????