how to choose mangoes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nyc10036

how to choose mangoes?

Post by Nyc10036 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Almost all the mangoes I see the supermarket are green.
We buy them and leave them on the counter for a few days to ripen.

Almost always 4/5 when we cut the mangoes, they are rotten on the inside.

We bought 3 this time. Two I just cut up this evening, and both were rotten.

I have been reading on the internet, and the reason seems to be that the mangoes are picked too green.

Should I give up?

Or is there a way to tell and still get a good mango?

azurekep

Re: how to choose mangoes?

Post by azurekep » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Try typing "how to tell mango ripe" into a search engine. A lot of articles come up saying color is irrelevant not a huge factor. The amount of give when you press the fruit and the smell are the determining can be better factors.

Edit: I got a little carried away with my hyperbole. :)

Here's one example; there are others that go into more detail.
http://www.mango.org/en/About-Mangos/Ho ... se-a-Mango

There are even YouTube videos. :D

But if you have any doubts, just send the mangoes to me. :)

Alternatively, you can always buy frozen mango chunks at TJ's, but lately -- or rather for the last 3-4 years -- some of the chunks are unripe. The verbiage and decorations on the package help hide the unripe state of some of the chunks.
Last edited by azurekep on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:46 pm

Never had this problem. I wonder if it is b/c of where we are geographically, and if those you are getting were picked greener? I am not sure of the type of mangoes we get in GA, so cannot comment on that. Typically they have a green, turning to red, skin.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:48 pm

I have better luck finding decent mangos in Asian grocery stores.

It is even better to find ripe and juicy mangos in tropical areas such as Costa Rica and Panama.

certifiedfordtec

Post by certifiedfordtec » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 pm

buy them at an Asian store. They should be fine.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:02 pm

I've had the best luck with frozen fruits this time of year other than citrus.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:06 pm

Sometimes mangos are like that inside with no way to tell until they are cut open. They seem to have gone bad from the inside out, maybe having something to do with the seed or the way the seed is connected to the stem. Other times they are not rotten but just have defective, fibrous areas in the flesh perhaps caused by bad weather or poor soil or disease or genetic defect or whatever.

As far as determining this before purchase, what I have found is that when a store that normally sells them for $0.99 or $1.29 suddenly has them marked down to 2 or 3 for $0.99 and it is not the prime season for them, that an unusually high proportion of them will probably be imperfect. They either discovered they got a bad batch after they started selling them or perhaps picked them up cheap at the wholesaler and are selling them cheap.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 pm

I grew up with 8 mango trees in the backyard. In Hawaii nearly everyone has a mango tree, or mango grove. They grow wild in the forests and everywhere else. There are different types of mangos. For the most part, the sweetest mango, like many fruits, is when they are ripe on the tree and ready to fall off with just a gust of wind, or a mango picker made out of a used fish net, or coat hanger with a sack on a long bamboo pole.

The stores pick the mangos green and then they ripen slowly. Not as sweet as tree ripened. Different mangos look different when ripe but for the most part they will be slightly firm but not mushy, with no soggy spots where they were bruised or banged up. The color will not be green and will look multicolored or hued. The long mangos are stringy. Different types of mangos are good for just eating, or cooking, or juice, etc. . A "Puree"(spell?) mango is small and squat. Very sweet and soft. Can be eaten with a spoon. A "hayden" mango is more common in the pacific and very sweet and can be eaten right off the tree. And so forth.
Also, usually, a ripe mango gives off a sweet smell. A non ripe mango smells "green".

The mangos you are buying are not that great, most likely. Find another type of mango at another store. No matter how ripe or unripe, a lousy species of mango is not going to taste as great as a great species of mango perfectly ripe.

This is a "Hayden" mango I took off my tree many many years ago.
Yes. I love mango's. . . and pineapples, and guava, and lilikoi, and lychee. . and . . . .
aloha,
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

azurekep

Post by azurekep » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:55 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:39 pm

This is a "Hayden" mango I took off my tree many many years ago.
Yes. I love mango's. . . and pineapples, and guava, and lilikoi, and lychee. . and . . . .
I was going to say you forgot passion fruit, but Wikipedia corrected me:
Passiflora edulis is a vine species of passion flower that is native to southern Brazil through Paraguay to northern Argentina.[1] Its common names include passion fruit or passionfruit (English), maracuyá or parcha (Spanish), grenadille or fruit de la passion (French), maracujá (Portuguese) and lilikoʻi (Hawaiian).
We were staying in a place in Maui and had passion fruit juice every morning. :mrgreen:

fposte

Post by fposte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 am

The most popular mango cultivar in most supermarkets, the green and red one, is the Tommy Atkins. It’s a great cultivar for growing and shipping but not so reliable for eating. The smaller yellow Ataulfo isn’t as widespread but is still pretty attainable, and it’s a lot better eating. See if you can find those.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 am

fposte wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 am
The smaller yellow Ataulfo isn’t as widespread but is still pretty attainable, and it’s a lot better eating. See if you can find those.
In most grocery stores it will most likely be called a "Honey mango"

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:48 am

The organic mangoes I buy at Costco are generally already soft and ripe when I buy them. They last for at least a week after that, longer in the refrigerator.
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

black jack

Post by black jack » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 am

fposte wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:05 am
The most popular mango cultivar in most supermarkets, the green and red one, is the Tommy Atkins. It’s a great cultivar for growing and shipping but not so reliable for eating. The smaller yellow Ataulfo isn’t as widespread but is still pretty attainable, and it’s a lot better eating. See if you can find those.
Oh yeah!
N10sive wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:37 am
In most grocery stores it will most likely be called a "Honey mango"
Or a "Champagne mango." Yellow and shaped like a fat comma. Available at Asian markets and sometimes at Costco and regular supermarkets; I haven't checked Latin markets, but since many of the ones I see are imported from Mexico, they are also likely sources.

The ones I buy usually take a few days to ripen; when ripe the skin will get a little wrinkly.

Once you've had one of these, you'll never bother with the green and red ones again.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:30 am

A lot of it has to do with the type of mango you are choosing. Try to get the pale yellow mangoes that are shaped like a hook or an apostrophe. I don't know what they are called. Don't buy the green mangoes - I've had many years of bad experiences with those. The firmness of the flesh for green mangoes isn't a good proxy for whether they are actually ripe or sweet, and even when you cut one at just the right time, they are never as sweet as the pale yellow ones. I don't think they are Ataulfo mangoes - my best guess is it's a breed that is imported from Asia.

For the pale yellow mangoes, you want to buy the ones that have firm but not hard flesh - when you press down on the skin, it should "give" a little but also push back against your press. Another trick I use is to look at the ends of the mangoes. If there's sap coming out of the ends, it is most likely ripe and sweet. Use your sense of smell - the more fragrant it is, the more likely it is ripe and sweet. And finally, don't buy the mangoes that have wrinkled lines - those are spoiling/drying out. Usually still edible but you might find the texture of the flesh a little stringy.

These mangoes have a texture like custard. It is sweet and fragrant, yet firm. I could eat three of them every day for the rest of my life.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am

Look where the mangoes are from. Here in the U.S., it seems most grocery stores import mangoes from Mexico and they are picked green and aren't very sweet. Asian stores and small stores that specialize in quality produce seem to get their mangoes from east Asia and they are almost always much better and sweeter.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am

I have not seen good ones even in Hawaii, particularly Oahu, even though I’ve seen many big mango trees. They are from Ecuador, long transit time, that’s maybe why.

Topic Author
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:24 pm

Most of the ones I have seen are the Tommy Atkins red+green.
I was just at Walmart this morning. The mangoes were 99 cents each and very firm. Definitely not ripe.

I will try the Asian grocery store next.

I have bought the pale yellow mangoes but they are not as common in the stores.

So frustrating.

fposte

Post by fposte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Tommy Atkins are basically the Red Delicious of mangoes. A ridiculous market share despite the fact that people who like that fruit really don't like that cultivar.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 pm

Any fruit that is eating ripe should not be "brown" on the inside.
If this is so, the browning is telltale that the fruit was picked much too green.
If I were you, I'd take the fruit back to the grocery and if there are enough returns, the Grocery will tell the Distributor and ask for a Rebate on future product. The Distributor hates to rebate and will contact the Broker who will also be asked for rebates and will contact the Farm. Farmer, will say that "You wanted green, I told you that it was too green. Let me pick the fruit, and you do the selling." :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:37 pm

You are on Boglehead. Diversify, buy the whole box. :twisted:

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:41 pm

The BEST mango available in USA is of variety called Kent. But only available in the season which is usually june-july-august. I see you are in NYC based on your user name. Go to an ethnic Indian store and pick up a box of Kent (doesn't matter the brand). Caveat - they will stay green even when ripe. But you will never forget the flavor. Also they have no fibers that get stuck in your teeth. So very easy to eat.

Also if you are lucky, they may have some imports from India. That variety is Alfanso and others. Very expensive but incredible.

I LOVE mangos. And during those three months I usually put on 3-5 lbs just eating them morning and evening everyday.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm

The kind that are red & green are indeed very difficult to tell. I only buy them when they are in season and also make sure there is a scent of aroma at the head. We now buy mostly the yellow mangos (Champagne???). They are smaller and much sweeter. Never had a bad one.

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Theseus wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:41 pm
Also if you are lucky, they may have some imports from India. That variety is Alfanso and others. Very expensive but incredible.
Banginapally Mangoes from India are a bit more costly than alfanso ( you can get alphonso pulp in tins anytime) and are only available for a very short time in May and June.

I dont like the juicy ones but prefer the green mango that is eaten with a pinch of salt and pepper mix on top. These type of green mangoes get soft but never turn yellow like the juicy ones.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

I go through this every week in the fruit section. They are almost always hard as a rock. They can sit for a week and not be ripe. A perfectly ripe mango is just wonderful. Occasionally I can find one that is just a bit soft and that one is usually good