Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Post Reply
Investing.Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Investing.Newbie » Mon May 14, 2018 3:26 pm

coupleofcents wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm
Can you share more details like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
I've done about 40K in savings per year for the last few years. We didn't start aggressively saving until about 2012 were we have always saved 20K or more per year. Before 2012 we had some years of no savings, and some years of 5-10K. But we paid off all student loans 2 years after graduating in 2007.

We also got lucky/strategic and made about $180K in 2015 on on first home by selling after 3 years and moving to a lower cost state. And then the bull market has really helped too.

Just keep at it and eventually you'll see the results:)
Thanks for the info. Good advice :happy

Accrual
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:22 pm
Location: Durham, NC.

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Accrual » Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am

With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer

coupleofcents
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by coupleofcents » Tue May 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Accrual wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am
With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
Keep up the good work Accrual!

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 1118
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Accrual wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am
With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
That is a pretty darn good start for someone of your age! I can honestly say I didn't have a $100K retirement account at age 27.

Continue what you are doing! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

vickyychen
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by vickyychen » Tue May 22, 2018 8:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by vickyychen on Wed May 23, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Investing.Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Investing.Newbie » Wed May 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Accrual wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am
With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
That's great Accural :sharebeer Rule of 72 should also help you out nicely :D

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by onthecusp » Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm

Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D

RadAudit
Posts: 2868
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by RadAudit » Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm

Going on 9 years in retirement and still solvent! :D

Looks as if the Trinity studies and SWRs are working, so far.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

Investing.Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Investing.Newbie » Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm

onthecusp wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm
Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D
Great job onthecusp :sharebeer can you share some insights like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !

Silverado
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Silverado » Wed May 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:50 pm
Accrual wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 9:07 am
With Friday's paycheck I crossed over $100k. $70k in retirement accounts and $30k in savings (emergency fund + house down payment). Age 27.

I am very grateful for finding this website. Thanks to all who post :sharebeer
That is a pretty darn good start for someone of your age! I can honestly say I didn't have a $100K retirement account at age 27.

Continue what you are doing! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Broken Man 1999
Yeah for sure. Please check back in regularly and let us know how you are doing. Keep it steady and you will be back with a two comma post before you know.

User avatar
bligh
Posts: 767
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:13 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by bligh » Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 pm

RadAudit wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm
Going on 9 years in retirement and still solvent! :D

Looks as if the Trinity studies and SWRs are working, so far.
Nice! You picked a great time to retire.. right at the start of a bull run. :sharebeer

RadAudit
Posts: 2868
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by RadAudit » Wed May 23, 2018 9:02 pm

bligh wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 4:39 pm
RadAudit wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:37 pm
Going on 9 years in retirement and still solvent! :D

Looks as if the Trinity studies and SWRs are working, so far.
Nice! You picked a great time to retire.. right at the start of a bull run. :sharebeer

Thanks. I wish I could claim that I knew that in advance. But, no such luck or insight. I just figured I had enough money and it was time to go.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course.

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by onthecusp » Thu May 24, 2018 10:14 am

Investing.Newbie wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm
onthecusp wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm
Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D
Great job onthecusp :sharebeer can you share some insights like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
Thanks Newbie, I appreciate it. My story is not very Bogleheadish until recently. As I contemplate retirement within a year or so it is not the super early retirement I contemplated years ago. Consistent employment and aggressive savings are my "secrets". I would have been much better off had I added low cost index investing much earlier. I'm counting on that secret to make retirement income less of a mystery than it seemed to be before. The recent run up has helped a bunch as well.

Plus side:
Started 401k saving shortly out of college. Only been out of that mode for short periods in job transitions. Moved to max contributions after about 5 years.
Got debt under control in my 40s and 50s. It was never crazy high, but never was comfortable. Only have a mortgage now.
Been fairly consistently employed and made modest moves up by a combination of trying out supervision/management but ultimately through specialization. Been very aggressively saving (adding after tax saving) for less than 10 years.
Now I'm super aggressive in saving and along with good company contributions we are saving around half of total compensation in accounts other than emergency funds.
Consolidated accounts with Fidelity and put my core assets in low cost index funds. Started buying bond funds!

Minus side (I've made many mistakes until about 10 years ago and didn't really understand / embrace Boglehead investing until about 3 years ago):
I seem to recall my early investments being mostly money market or managed growth funds.
Took a 401k loan for debt consolidation, maybe not such a big penalty as my investments were poor.
Allowed student loan and car purchase debt to spiral up when the kids were in HS and through college.
Took a pension plan cash out, put it in an IRA and traded most of it away with bad strategy, concentration in sure thing etc.
Took similar losses with a 401k brokerage account.
Last job's 401k was with Ameriprise. I ignored it (as a mental compensation for my poor trading experiences) other than funding it so at least my contributions survived. There was not good growth until the move to Fidelity / Index funds.
Owned 3 boats, now they are gone. Only the first was good value as I lived on a lake at the time and could use it a lot.
I'm still over invested in company stock obtained through ownership plans and company contributions.

In edit, just wanted to add that investing is a life long process with ups and downs. Nothing is guaranteed or forever and all sorts of setbacks can be overcome or compensated for with changing expectations.

HoleInTheAir
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:47 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by HoleInTheAir » Thu May 24, 2018 10:38 am

My wife and I hit $200,000 in investments this week at 26(Him)/27(Her).
No debt, but also renting, so will have to cool off retirement savings a bit to get a house down payment fund started to get the 20% down to avoid PMI.

Kimota
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 10:35 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Kimota » Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am

From 'Ameriprise Anger" to 500k

Hey All -

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL. Just crested 500k this morning in my retirement funds + my EF. I was with Ameriprise for a long time and didn't really believe in investing b/c all I saw was little movement on my accounts. Then my company was acquired, and I have been getting a nice upside for the last 4 years in RSUs. When that money started rolling in, I had my Ameriprise FA invest it for me... and POOF!... a huge chunk of it was eaten up by fees. Nothing motivates more than anger, and thus I found this forum, this philosophy and this community.

When I switched everything to Vanguard, my Ameriprise FA told me they had fees too. That gave me a belly laugh. Now I have my IPS, my three funds, and my AA all working very well for me. I'm doing Backdoor Roths and I even started using my HSA last year as an additional savings vehicle. All of this is because of the resources found here.

So, let me say again: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

PS: I put a shortcut on my iPhone for this forum and whenever I feel the urge to waste time on Facebook etc., I go here and read, read, read. So this first post is a long time coming, but wanted to hit a good milestone first.

PPS: Will be interesting to see how long it takes me to hit the two comma club! :D

Onward!

Investing.Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:23 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by Investing.Newbie » Thu May 24, 2018 11:30 am

onthecusp wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:14 am
Investing.Newbie wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:54 pm
onthecusp wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 3:28 pm
Two commas in the retirement accounts about two weeks ago. Still saving strong. :D
Great job onthecusp :sharebeer can you share some insights like when you started to save & how much you save on average ?
Thanks !
Thanks Newbie, I appreciate it. My story is not very Bogleheadish until recently. As I contemplate retirement within a year or so it is not the super early retirement I contemplated years ago. Consistent employment and aggressive savings are my "secrets". I would have been much better off had I added low cost index investing much earlier. I'm counting on that secret to make retirement income less of a mystery than it seemed to be before. The recent run up has helped a bunch as well.

Plus side:
Started 401k saving shortly out of college. Only been out of that mode for short periods in job transitions. Moved to max contributions after about 5 years.
Got debt under control in my 40s and 50s. It was never crazy high, but never was comfortable. Only have a mortgage now.
Been fairly consistently employed and made modest moves up by a combination of trying out supervision/management but ultimately through specialization. Been very aggressively saving (adding after tax saving) for less than 10 years.
Now I'm super aggressive in saving and along with good company contributions we are saving around half of total compensation in accounts other than emergency funds.
Consolidated accounts with Fidelity and put my core assets in low cost index funds. Started buying bond funds!

Minus side (I've made many mistakes until about 10 years ago and didn't really understand / embrace Boglehead investing until about 3 years ago):
I seem to recall my early investments being mostly money market or managed growth funds.
Took a 401k loan for debt consolidation, maybe not such a big penalty as my investments were poor.
Allowed student loan and car purchase debt to spiral up when the kids were in HS and through college.
Took a pension plan cash out, put it in an IRA and traded most of it away with bad strategy, concentration in sure thing etc.
Took similar losses with a 401k brokerage account.
Last job's 401k was with Ameriprise. I ignored it (as a mental compensation for my poor trading experiences) other than funding it so at least my contributions survived. There was not good growth until the move to Fidelity / Index funds.
Owned 3 boats, now they are gone. Only the first was good value as I lived on a lake at the time and could use it a lot.
I'm still over invested in company stock obtained through ownership plans and company contributions.

In edit, just wanted to add that investing is a life long process with ups and downs. Nothing is guaranteed or forever and all sorts of setbacks can be overcome or compensated for with changing expectations.
Thanks for sharing your experience onthecusp !

LiterallyIronic
Posts: 666
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:36 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 am

We just hit 10% of our retirement goal! I'm 34, but I've only been out of school for a year-and-a-half. Looking forward to the next 10% being easier than the first. :D

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45535
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 am

New member hsd has a question which I've moved into a new thread: [Net worth in retirement: How do you know when "enough is enough"?]

Sandtrap - You are mentioned in the post.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

goblue100
Posts: 529
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by goblue100 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:01 am

LiterallyIronic wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:33 am
We just hit 10% of our retirement goal! I'm 34, but I've only been out of school for a year-and-a-half. Looking forward to the next 10% being easier than the first. :D
I like your handle!
Due to compounding, it should be. However, I do recall some big setbacks (2001, 2008) and having to regain lost ground when it didn't seem like the next X amount was easy. Just remember to stay the course during the tough times and to buy those assets on sale.

Congrats.
Some people are immune to good advice. - Saul Goodman

letsgobobby
Posts: 11272
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:35 am

Kimota wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 am
From 'Ameriprise Anger" to 500k

Hey All -

First time poster, long time lurker.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL. Just crested 500k this morning in my retirement funds + my EF. I was with Ameriprise for a long time and didn't really believe in investing b/c all I saw was little movement on my accounts. Then my company was acquired, and I have been getting a nice upside for the last 4 years in RSUs. When that money started rolling in, I had my Ameriprise FA invest it for me... and POOF!... a huge chunk of it was eaten up by fees. Nothing motivates more than anger, and thus I found this forum, this philosophy and this community.

When I switched everything to Vanguard, my Ameriprise FA told me they had fees too. That gave me a belly laugh. Now I have my IPS, my three funds, and my AA all working very well for me. I'm doing Backdoor Roths and I even started using my HSA last year as an additional savings vehicle. All of this is because of the resources found here.

So, let me say again: THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

PS: I put a shortcut on my iPhone for this forum and whenever I feel the urge to waste time on Facebook etc., I go here and read, read, read. So this first post is a long time coming, but wanted to hit a good milestone first.

PPS: Will be interesting to see how long it takes me to hit the two comma club! :D

Onward!
Welcome! Thanks for posting and congratulations on your decision to leave Ameriprise and your success so far.

eer_no_evil
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by eer_no_evil » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Good evening all,

I’ve followed this thread for several months and am very grateful and humbled to be able to add my own milestone. I just 500k networth- reflecting on the road, it’s been a crazy year; I negotiated a severance, started a new job, am re-learning how to be single, trying to prioritize time with friends and live a healthy lifestyle to attempt to age gracefully lol. It’s been a very interesting year- Cheers to what 31 has in store.

thanks to everyone for the questions, advice and musings- I’ve learned so much and the boglehead family keeps me motivated. On to the next one!

User avatar
onthecusp
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by onthecusp » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:31 pm

eer_no_evil wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm
Good evening all,

I’ve followed this thread for several months and am very grateful and humbled to be able to add my own milestone. I just 500k networth- reflecting on the road, it’s been a crazy year; I negotiated a severance, started a new job, am re-learning how to be single, trying to prioritize time with friends and live a healthy lifestyle to attempt to age gracefully lol. It’s been a very interesting year- Cheers to what 31 has in store.

thanks to everyone for the questions, advice and musings- I’ve learned so much and the boglehead family keeps me motivated. On to the next one!
That's a great milestone! Keep it up.

Post Reply