My Christmas Present to You

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
SundayMorning

Re: My Christmas Present to You

Post by SundayMorning » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 am

Taylor, many thanks to you and the truly Greatest Generation.
The two finest men I have ever known, both of my Grandfathers who were WWII vets.
Merry Christmas!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:47 am

Merry Christmas, Taylor.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

BogleAlltheWay

Post by BogleAlltheWay » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:59 am

Thank you for your service and Merry Christmas

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:03 am

We are indeed fortunate to have the integrity and wisdom of Taylor Larimore as an example to aspire to. He is the Christmas gift that keeps on giving. Merry Christmas Taylor, and thank you.

david99

Post by david99 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:04 am

Merry Christmas, Taylor

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:13 am

Thank you Taylor and Merry Christmas

" If it be a sin to covet honor,
I am the most offending soul alive"

We owe a great deal to you and your generation's sacrifice. May it never be forgotten.

kerplunk

Post by kerplunk » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:14 am

Thank you, Taylor. You are an inspiration and living legend.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you for sharing this Taylor. Merry Christmas!

Also, thanks for helping this Boglehead along the way.

Steve
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:20 am

Merry Christmas Taylor.

I signed on this morning just to see if this message was here, and it was. Thank you for your service, your continuing contributions, and may you have a peaceful 2018.

bdr1000

Post by bdr1000 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 am

Thank you from a forty year old from the UK for your service, then, and now. Merry Christmas!!

bdr

dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 am

Taylor,

Thank you, Merry Christmas, and God Bless.

MrDogg

Post by MrDogg » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:29 am

Taylor.

It's an honor to know you and to have benefited from your continued sage advise. Thank you. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Jack

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:31 am

Thank you and Merry Christmas to All!

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:47 am

Thank you!!! Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year!

77sfga

Post by 77sfga » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:04 am

Thank you, Taylor! I'm proud to have followed in the AIRBORNE tradition of you original Paratroopers who set the standards for the rest of us!

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:16 am

bdr1000 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 am
Thank you from a forty year old from the UK for your service, then, and now. Merry Christmas!!

bdr
bdr1000, Welcome and Happy Chrimbo!

FYI - Chrimbo is British slang for Christmas.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:55 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor, I enjoy the annual thread about your 1944 Christmas in Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. It seems like yesterday when we were discussing all this back in 2016. The World War II Veterans have my eternal gratitude for their sacrifices. Also grateful to all our Veterans who have served in the U.S. Military in times of peace and times of War. All service to our armed forces is greatly appreciated. This gratitude includes National Guard and Reserve duty.
A fool and his money are good for business.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:35 pm

In the noble tradition of John Paul Jones.

My Dad was in the Aleutians.

Devil's Advocate

Post by Devil's Advocate » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:30 pm

Thank you for your service Taylor. Love your insights and wisdom.

DA

birdog

Post by birdog » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:15 pm

You men were truly amazing.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:22 pm

birdog wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:15 pm
You men were truly amazing.
birdog:

It was not just the men; we had WACs (Woman Army Core), Rosie the Riveter, and almost all women were engaged in one way or another supporting the war effort. It was not like today, where most of us barely know we are at war again.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

hawkfan55

Post by hawkfan55 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:49 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor! Thank you for your service!
Forum Library of Investing Advice: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Greetings Taylor.........I don't have the proper words to convey to you the sacrifices and contributions that you and your comrades made to our great nation......

I will keep this simple (cuz I know no better way)....than to say..........Thank you........and may God continue to bless you and your family...........

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:27 pm

Thank you Taylor for your brave service to our country and our heart still goes out to those families who lost loved ones. My father was also one of the lucky ones who came home.

Americans should also remember the important role our country played after this awful war with our support in rebuilding Germany. In the decade I’ve been living in Germany, people (both young and old) have occasionally told me about their acknowledgment and gratitude to the USA to our generosity and support in their rebuilding, recovery and reunification.

Wishing you and your family a healthy and Merry Christmas and a safe slide into 2018. :sharebeer

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:57 pm

Thanks you for this post, Taylor, and your service. We need reminders of the sacrifices that made our world the wonderful place it is today.

I would like to take this opportunity to share the story of my great uncle, who fought there alongside you. He pass away about 10 years ago, but his memory is still strong.

He belonged to a new-fangled unit called "Chemical Mortar" men. He was a Pennsylvania farm boy who knew how to shoot a rifle, fix a machine, and even weld. He also was one of the few recruits who had studied chemistry in high school. So he was sent straight away to learn how to lead a mortar squad.

He landed on Utah Beach on D-Day, about 6 hours in. He fought on the front lines for around 320 days, with only two 2 day breaks along the way. It turned out that those mortars were a game changing weapon, and they were in demand for the entire war.

He always talked about seeing the best in man, like the liberation of Paris, and the worst in man, like when he first saw a concentration camp.

When the Battle of the Bulge broke out, he was a few miles inside Germany, and he thought the war was almost over. But they got the orders to withdraw ASAP and get behind the Germans advancing into Belgium. He ended up getting right in the middle of them.

He always told the story of the Christmas of 1944 being the worst ever. It started out on a happy note. A fresh batch of young soldiers had just arrived to relive them. But when he woke up on Christmas day, he found that many of them had frozen to death in their foxholes over the night. Apparently they hadn't been trained or experienced enough to know how to stay warm.

Later in the day, his group was overridden by Germans. He had carried a Thompson machine gun for 200 days at that point, but had never had to use it until that day.

The story had a happy ending for him though. In a few months, he was assigned to guarding German POW camps. So he knew the war was over.

He returned to the US, became a High School Chemistry teacher, and a "gentleman farmer". He raised two children who also became teachers.

But the best part of the story is what happen more recently. I have a coworker in Belgium who has become a very good friend. He lives near the area where that battle occurred. We were discussing this a few years back, when he said, "Could you give me your Uncle's address? I'd like to send him a thank you note." Which he did, along with a box of Belgian chocolates as a Christmas gift!

This became an annual tradition. Unfortunately, it only lasted a few years before my Uncle passed away.

Last year, my Belgian friend brought his children to visit America for the first time. I took them to visit my Uncle's farm and his grave, where they left flowers and a note. It was very moving....

So some people do remember, and still appreciate the sacrifices made by so many millions back then.

Merry Christmas!
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

herpfinance

Post by herpfinance » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Merry Christmas, Taylor!
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Taylor,

We always enjoy your posts, but especially your special posts :happy

Your Christmas Present reminds us of your great character and your great life and service to the country. And everyone on this great Boglehead forum has benefited in so many ways from your high ideals and wisdom.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you Taylor, God bless!
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:01 pm

bhsince87:

Thank you for the story about your Uncle and your Belgian Friend.

I have a similar story: A decade or so after the war, the mayor of Miami gave me the "Key to the City of Miami" in a beautiful box to present to the Bastogne family that helped keep me warm and fed while their home was being riddled with bullet holes and shrapnel.

Our meeting in peace remains one of the best memories of my life.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

mgullo

Post by mgullo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:36 pm
Dear Boglehead:

Seventy-three years ago on Christmas Eve, during the Battle of the Bulge, I was a 20-year old scared paratrooper in a snow-covered foxhole protecting the important transportation town of Bastogne, Belgium.

The Germans had us surrounded and demanded our surrender. Our commander said "Nuts." You can read about it here:

A Freedom Shrine Document

This is my Christmas present to you.

Taylor

Merry Christmas to you too, Taylor, and it's difficult to imagine a more valuable gift. Thank you for what you have done and what you continue to do. Your service to the country in the '40s and to our forum today have benefited unimaginable numbers of people. Thank you, again.
Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something. | -Thoreau

JVL

Post by JVL » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:59 pm

Merry Christmas, Taylor!

divotmaker

Post by divotmaker » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:36 pm

Just finished "The Story of WW 2" by Donald L Miller. While there are many books on the subject this book includes many primary source accounts from young soldiers like you Taylor from both theaters of war. Listening to these accounts on audible during the holiday season especially poignant.

We will never eliminate war or evil in this world. But if every citizen and politician would read books like the one above, we would all understand to some small degree the true nature of the gift you and young men like you did indeed give to all the world.

So please know that are still those of us that do truly appreciate the sacrifices you and those like you made.

Wings5

Post by Wings5 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:18 pm

Thanks for your commitment and service Taylor!

Every Christmas when we gather around the table we raise our glasses to those currently serving overseas and all who've served our nation over the centuries. My hat is off and my glass is raised to you, Taylor!

-Wings, USAF

Great Plains

Post by Great Plains » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Sir,
Thank you for your service to our country.
Merry Christmas and have a great New Year.
Great Plains

JPH

Post by JPH » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:16 am

Taylor,
I can't thank you enough. Our country is truly blessed to have citizens such as yourself.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:37 am

This thread is now in the Local Chapters and Bogleheads Community forum (Bogleheads).

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:07 am

Taylor, thanks for what you and your comrades did for future generations. Unbelievable bravery under adversity that most of us may never see. Thanks.

That website, which I've apparently never noticed before, is a wonderful repository of historical facts and documents. After reading your posted story, I find the whole site hard to put down! Lots of intriguing stuff there... So, thanks for that too. :)

Merry Christmas,
Rick

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:22 am

DetroitRick wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:07 am
Taylor, thanks for what you and your comrades did for future generations. Unbelievable bravery under adversity that most of us may never see. Thanks.

That website, which I've apparently never noticed before, is a wonderful repository of historical facts and documents. After reading your posted story, I find the whole site hard to put down! Lots of intriguing stuff there... So, thanks for that too. :)

Merry Christmas,
Rick
+1

Thank you for your service to our great country.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:03 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Dear Boglehead:

Seventy-three years ago on Christmas Eve, during the Battle of the Bulge, I was a 20-year old scared paratrooper in a snow-covered foxhole protecting the important transportation town of Bastogne, Belgium.

The Germans had us surrounded and demanded our surrender. Our commander said "Nuts." You can read about it here:

Taylor
Thank you Taylor and the Greatest Generation for keeping our country safe and fighting for freedom!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:15 pm

Merry Christmas Taylor and all the best to you in 2018.
With respect and gratitude,

BC Doc

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:52 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:
Dear Boglehead:

Taylor
A profound thank you, Taylor Larimore.

This event is legendary. I read about it as a boy, and it left a deep impression. Cut off without supplies or ammo, in deep snow in the dead of winter, completely surrounded by the enemy, without air cover, and without much hope for any relief--and the official response to the surrender request was "NUTS"!!!!!

I've never known anyone who was actually there on the ground.