What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wabbott

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by wabbott »

pizzy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:33 pm
wabbott wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 2:34 pm
hotajax wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:36 am Cut my lawn.
Same here. With an economy Wal Mart push mower.
How many acres?
Probably a half acre. But I take 2 or 3 days to do it.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I generally wait until June to cut my lawn for the first time. But we've had lots of rain this year ...so it's about ready to be baled. I'll need to cut it twice---a week apart---for it to look decent. Hope the bees and butterflies enjoyed the dandelions.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I live in a climate where I only need air conditioning a for a couple of weeks every summer. My electric bill this time of year is negative.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Got $180 e-credits by re-booking a flight on AA that had gone down in price.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

9 yr old auto . . . changed thermostat, hoses & coolant. Simple DIY saved $150 labor.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

cheesepep wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:33 am I stayed at home all day long and didn’t use any air conditioning despite it being very humid and hot outside. I consider it mostly a waste of money. I used the fan only in one room. If I am hot, I visit the nearby mall and have a walk.
That's frugal, but it also sounds uncomfortable.
2Dog

Post by 2Dog »

Changed my own oil/filter in my vehicle....
pepperonicheezer

Post by pepperonicheezer »

Just bought supplies to start washing my own cars
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

We have a couple of couch chairs in basement that we planned to get rid of. However, I got the idea of reupholster them. I did initial research. It turned out it is like solve a 3-D puzzle. Why not? It will be very fun.
Red Zebra

Post by Red Zebra »

I worked on home grown salad greens and shredded newspapers to add to my compost pile.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Trimmed and bathed one of our two dogs rather than taking him to a groomer. The other dog's turn is tomorrow.

When we first got these little guys I was outraged by the price of grooming. After doing it ourselves for three years, I would gladly pay the price but our dogs absolutely hate it. I don't know if they were mistreated or hurt during part of the process, but we won't be taking them back to a groomer. I'm speculating that if we had started DIY'ing from the beginning that it wouldn't be such an ordeal, but I could easily be mistaken. It would also be less of an ordeal if we did it more frequently, but since it's such an ordeal we tend to put it off. Vicious cycle.

At any rate the money that we saved today is mine. All mine!
And DW's also, of course.
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

hershey102d wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:58 pm 9 yr old auto . . . changed thermostat, hoses & coolant. Simple DIY saved $150 labor.
Is it frugal that I have only changed the coolant at 15 years on two cars?
chuckwalla

Post by chuckwalla »

Skipped tipping at a take-out place.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I picked up a Prime brisket on clearance at Sam's club. 11 lb brisket for $30 and the sell by date is 2 weeks out. I am guessing they over bought and under sold for Memorial day weekend. I will smoke it.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Applied for a free interment (of my future cremains) at a VA Cemetery based on my late spouse’s military record.
hmw

Post by hmw »

I changed engine oil, filter, air filter, cabin air filter, and transmission fluid myself today.

My car hvac blower motor was making some weird noise. Bought a new blower motor from Rockauto opposed to OEM, replaced it myself today.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Washed our dog in the outside shower when we got back from the beach. That's about it. Unless you count having homemade sandwiches on the beach with beer and wine we brought from home that we'd purchased at Total Beer and Wine.

My wife got the child/light eater portion of spaghetti and meatballs when I went for dinner takeout in the rental golf cart - it's a tiny village. I don't think either one is going to pay for the two-week cottage rental here on Ocracoke Island. I got the crabcake sandwich fwiw.

Or pay for the art work we bought from three of the artists/photographers/jewelry makers at the first day Ocrafolk Festival yesterday.

Then I got a text from the new car sales person in Richmond about a 4Runner that's due to arrive in a few weeks from Japan and should be in the showroom by the end of July. It's precisely what I told her I wanted three weeks ago (there's a huge shortage). Mine is a 2016 and still worth a small fortune in a private sale. The one on the way is another red TRD Off Road Premium with KDSS suspension. Just what I like for pulling my small boat off road (seriously, we fish lakes that don't have ramps) and driving on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.

There can be a payoff to living like a starving grad student and working from 1966 to 2012. He who dies rich is still dead. ;)
Wwwdotcom

Post by Wwwdotcom »

I saw that the model 3 rwd is available at a low price after the new 7500 tax rebate. I almost clicked the order button, but I stopped.

Their order process seems way too easy.
hotajax

Post by hotajax »

Two that are cut. The other two are rabbit vacation zones.
Ret2018

Post by Ret2018 »

Then I got a text from the new car sales person in Richmond about a 4Runner that's due to arrive in a few weeks from Japan
AndyPants, before you sign any contracts with Toyota, make sure you will get TWO smart keys ("fobs") at the time of purchase. We bought a Rav4 January 2023. Stickers on the car and key informing potential buyers of only one key were removed before we did the test drive. It was only after we had made payment, taken possession of the car, and were completing the final paperwork that we were told "due to a chip shortage" we would only get one key at that time, with the other to come "within weeks" and "no problem getting before end of March" (when we had a cross country trip planned). That then became "a letter will go out in April," which is now "a letter will go out starting in August," telling us when we could get the second key from the dealer.

Lesson learned, and I'm unlikely to buy a Toyota again given the way we've been treated by both the dealer and the North American corporation.
RetiredAndGrumpy

Post by RetiredAndGrumpy »

Retired and now save about $5K in state taxes. Federal taxes lower as well. Living comfortably. It is true though…the more you make while working…the bigger the tax bill. My living footprint is lean and mean. LOL…saving $1500-2000 more money each month now than when I was working. 😆 Debt free.
upekkha

Post by upekkha »

I made coffee, lunch and dinner at home for my 12-hour workday today.
"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan." - Carl Von Clausewitz
Moneytrail

Post by Moneytrail »

Instead of using my home lights.I used my cell phone light to navigate the home at nite.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Replaced headlight on my vehicle - a first for me. Saving of about 15/20 dollars for the labor. Satisfaction? Priceless!
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
A440

Post by A440 »

Fixed a loose chrome exhaust tip on one of our vehicles. Changed the oil, filter, cabin and air filters in all of our vehicles. In some instances, it wasn't much cheaper for the oil change, but I have the peace of mind and satisfaction knowing it was done correctly. :beer
I don't know what the future holds, but I know who holds my future.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Count de Monet wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:01 pm I've gone about a week now without running the a/c, despite daytime highs in the mid to high 80's. We're having air that's dry and cool enough at night that opening the windows cools down the house. I run a house fan for 10 minutes before bed, and a little longer in the morning, then close all the windows, and the house never gets too warm. To assist with this, I manually empty the drain pan under the fridge when I hear it completing its defrost cycle. This uses the fridge/freezer as a dehumidifier, so no need to also run a separate dehumidifier. In some years, the above methods keep me comfortable into the middle of June (in the deep South!), with only needing to run the a/c for maybe one hot week along the way.
Related: I recently started taking a moment to turn the AC in my recent model year car from "Auto" of "Off" when it's not uncomfortable to do so.

I have heard it claimed that newer cars automatically turn the AC off depending on the outside temperature, but this is clearly false on my car. Even before warmer weather arrived, I started seeing a roughly 3 MPG increase.

Now that warmer weather is here, I see that most of the benefit remains with the windows rolled down at non-highway speeds.

I also work on driving predictively and efficiently. I lose a very small amount of time not accelerating quickly when I can, but I lose no time not accelerating quickly when traffic conditions or lights up ahead are going to hold me up, and by letting off the throttle well in advance of red lights. There's some additional savings from less brake wear.

My car is rated for 36 mpg highway, 26 city. On my commute home today on a mix of roads, the car reported 47 mpg (it's usually about 1-2 mpg high).
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

iamlucky13 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:30 am
Count de Monet wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 8:01 pm I've gone about a week now without running the a/c, despite daytime highs in the mid to high 80's. We're having air that's dry and cool enough at night that opening the windows cools down the house. I run a house fan for 10 minutes before bed, and a little longer in the morning, then close all the windows, and the house never gets too warm. To assist with this, I manually empty the drain pan under the fridge when I hear it completing its defrost cycle. This uses the fridge/freezer as a dehumidifier, so no need to also run a separate dehumidifier. In some years, the above methods keep me comfortable into the middle of June (in the deep South!), with only needing to run the a/c for maybe one hot week along the way.
Related: I recently started taking a moment to turn the AC in my recent model year car from "Auto" of "Off."

I have heard it claimed that newer cars automatically turn the AC off depending on the outside temperature, but this is clearly false on my car. Even before warmer weather arrived, I started seeing a 3-4 MPG increase.

Now that warmer weather is here, I see that most of the benefit remains with the windows rolled down at non-highway speeds.

I also work on driving predictively and efficiently. I lose a very small amount of time not accelerating quickly when I can, but I lose no time not accelerating quickly when traffic conditions or lights up ahead are going to hold me up, and by letting off the throttle well in advance of red lights. There's some additional savings from less brake wear.

My car is rated for 36 mpg highway, 26 city. On my commute home today on a mix of roads, the car reported 47 mpg (it's usually about 1-2 mpg high).
It's incredible what a few simple "tricks" can do for fuel efficiency. We have a Ford Maverick hybrid, rated 42 street/33 highway/37 overall: currently averaging 50.9mpg overall (vehicle reported, based on our math it is maybe 1mpg high) in the first ~6300 miles. Heat and AC are fuel efficiency killers in a hybrid.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

stoptothink wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:35 am
iamlucky13 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:30 am My car is rated for 36 mpg highway, 26 city. On my commute home today on a mix of roads, the car reported 47 mpg (it's usually about 1-2 mpg high).
It's incredible what a few simple "tricks" can do for fuel efficiency. We have a Ford Maverick hybrid, rated 42 street/33 highway/37 overall: currently averaging 50.9mpg overall (vehicle reported, based on our math it is maybe 1mpg high) in the first ~6300 miles. Heat and AC are fuel efficiency killers in a hybrid.
Even for a small hybrid pickup, that's very impressive!
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I use no heating or AC for this half of the year. I generally only keep one light on in the house at night.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

I visited a gas station for the first time this year, and bought 2 gallons. That should last me for several months, since I only plan to use it in my lawnmower.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Emptied winter generator gas (3x 6gal, stabilized) into vehicle giving 3/4 tank.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Shopped at Aldi.

ed
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Two things: (i) got the lunch (instead of dinner-sized) version of one meal at our local Chinese place and (ii) split that lunch meal between Dad and myself!
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

I wish I had noticed this thread a few days ago on my 50th birthday...

As I was approaching 50, AARP sent me an invite to join. At first I was like, what, no, I'm not retiring yet, leave me alone. But then I saw they have 10% discount at Bonefish, and my wife and friend were taking me there to dinner for my birthday. So I joined for $12 on my birthday morning, put the digital membership card on my phone, and made the $12 back the same evening. :D
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

worthit wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:18 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:09 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 8:01 am
neilpilot wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:01 pm
worthit wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 3:15 pm

Also, saved $90 by returning a toner (unopened and still in the box) I purchased couple of weeks ago.
Am I being frugal if I buy an item today and then return it next month?
This entire thread is evidence of the subjectivity of the term "frugal". I wouldn't consider 95%+ of the posts an exhibition of "frugalness", but I'm just one man, with one opinion.
Yes, but you’re a contender for “most frugal BH,” so your opinion does carry some heft :D I am not particularly frugal, by any standards but especially by BH standards, and I follow this thread to see if I can pick up some pointers. Most of the posts make me feel wasteful and degenerate, but perhaps that’s how I make progress. I am less wasteful than many with our income level, but that’s a lazy bar.

+1.

I keep coming back to this thread to learn something new. I am also far from calling myself a "frugalist" per BH standards but there are some pearls of wisdom and some :confused for me (like my subjective frugality). I thoroughly enjoy these though.
I suggest watching or listening to some old Jack Benny skits. I could have bought an old violin today, but decided that the squealing of my brake liners was close enough to me trying to play it, thereby saving a $1 million or more. It's easy to save money!

I also visited the grave sites of some celebrities today. Much cheaper than hearing them in concert, upgrading my factory machinery, buying an expensive sports car, or pushing some new social construct while living in a highly popular downtown area and launching some lawyer's career. All world-famous people!
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Moneytrail wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:49 pm Instead of using my home lights.I used my cell phone light to navigate the home at nite.
I use the lume on my dive watch: free.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I always cut the engine on my ICE vehicle if anticipating more than 10 seconds of idle time, except for when at stop lights. I’m amazed seeing people idling in parking lots in either winter (for heat) or summer (for AC) while waiting, or for no reason at all! I saw a guy idling in a parking lot in a convertible with the top down — why? I’d venture to say millions of gallons of gasoline are wasted this way every year. Just cut the engine and restart it a half hour later! It not only wastes money, it pollutes the atmosphere and wastes precious non-renewable resources.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:02 pm I always cut the engine on my ICE vehicle if anticipating more than 10 seconds of idle time, except for when at stop lights. I’m amazed seeing people idling in parking lots in either winter (for heat) or summer (for AC) while waiting, or for no reason at all! I saw a guy idling in a parking lot in a convertible with the top down — why? I’d venture to say millions of gallons of gasoline are wasted this way every year. Just cut the engine and restart it a half hour later! It not only wastes money, it pollutes the atmosphere and wastes precious non-renewable resources.
Huge pet peeve of mine. When I go to get my kids from the bus stop, there are lines of parents sitting in their cars - engine idling and AC on - while it is 75 degrees outside.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:52 am
Nicolas wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:02 pm I always cut the engine on my ICE vehicle if anticipating more than 10 seconds of idle time, except for when at stop lights. I’m amazed seeing people idling in parking lots in either winter (for heat) or summer (for AC) while waiting, or for no reason at all! I saw a guy idling in a parking lot in a convertible with the top down — why? I’d venture to say millions of gallons of gasoline are wasted this way every year. Just cut the engine and restart it a half hour later! It not only wastes money, it pollutes the atmosphere and wastes precious non-renewable resources.
Huge pet peeve of mine. When I go to get my kids from the bus stop, there are lines of parents sitting in their cars - engine idling and AC on - while it is 75 degrees outside.
It goes back a few years, but our kids' school banned idling while waiting in the pickup line. Some parents didn't have the sense to abide by the rule.

MA is usually pretty good about green issues, but contractors here often idle their trucks as a default. I don't know if it's thoughtlessness, or a "stick it to the boss" move, or whatever, but it's infuriating. These are not 1 or 2 minute idles, but the trucks are often left on while getting lunch, shopping, etc.

It's especially infuriating when our air has been hazardous the past few days with smoke from Canadian wildfires.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:36 pm I picked up a Prime brisket on clearance at Sam's club. 11 lb brisket for $30 and the sell by date is 2 weeks out. I am guessing they over bought and under sold for Memorial day weekend. I will smoke it.
Wow that's a good find. One thing I like better about Sam's Club vs Costco is that they frequently discount their fish & meat. Usually it's when there's only a couple of days until it's sell-by date, but I've gotten some fantastic deals (and just bring them home and either cook them within a day or two, or freeze). In 20+ years of membership, I've never seen meat discounted at Costco as it approaches the sell-by date. I wonder if they manage their inventory better, or if they donate the meat or ??

But I'm in between Sam's Club memberships right now. I usually wait for them to have some kind of promo where I get most/all of the membership fee rebated.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

boglegirl wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:56 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:36 pm I picked up a Prime brisket on clearance at Sam's club. 11 lb brisket for $30 and the sell by date is 2 weeks out. I am guessing they over bought and under sold for Memorial day weekend. I will smoke it.
Wow that's a good find. One thing I like better about Sam's Club vs Costco is that they frequently discount their fish & meat. Usually it's when there's only a couple of days until it's sell-by date, but I've gotten some fantastic deals (and just bring them home and either cook them within a day or two, or freeze). In 20+ years of membership, I've never seen meat discounted at Costco as it approaches the sell-by date. I wonder if they manage their inventory better, or if they donate the meat or ??

But I'm in between Sam's Club memberships right now. I usually wait for them to have some kind of promo where I get most/all of the membership fee rebated.
One of the best meat finds I've had was at Sam's around a year ago. They had $7 off every pack of rack of lamb. That brought it to around $7/lb which is pretty much unheard of for racks. They tend to be $15/lb now even at Sam's. People were looking at me oddly because I had so many in my cart. I've used all but the last couple. They were already vacuum sealed which made for easy storage.
Moneytrail

Post by Moneytrail »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:55 pm
Moneytrail wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:49 pm Instead of using my home lights.I used my cell phone light to navigate the home at nite.
I use the lume on my dive watch: free.
Lol sweet
sofarsogood

Post by sofarsogood »

sanded and restained our 12 x 14 outdoor deck.
realmad

Post by realmad »

removed AC grills and cleanup the grass debris. I need to have a talk with my lawn guy.
oranger00k

Post by oranger00k »

Bought extra socks and underwear so I don't have to do laundry as frequently.

Playing the long game :D
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:07 am
stoptothink wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:52 am
It goes back a few years, but our kids' school banned idling while waiting in the pickup line. Some parents didn't have the sense to abide by the rule.

MA is usually pretty good about green issues, but contractors here often idle their trucks as a default. I don't know if it's thoughtlessness, or a "stick it to the boss" move, or whatever, but it's infuriating. These are not 1 or 2 minute idles, but the trucks are often left on while getting lunch, shopping, etc.

It's especially infuriating when our air has been hazardous the past few days with smoke from Canadian wildfires.
I have somewhat of a mental block with using heating and AC. My spectrum of temperatures where I am "comfortable" is really large - I'm not sure if this is nurture (I've lived most of my life without it), physiological (some evidence that some with autism spectrum disorders have messed up temperature gauges), or a mental resiliency thing. On my own, I essentially never use AC or heat at home or in the car. My wife was one of those people who had AC on as default; ie. she's famous for sitting at her desk at home with a portable heater on her feet and the AC on and it was always on in the car - regardless of temperature - but 10yrs of my pestering her has broken her of these habits (for the most part).

Sorry for going down this path, but if you are genuinely concerned about green issues (I am conscious about being a good steward of the Earth, but this is not my primary motivation), limiting use of AC and heat is probably the lowest hanging fruit.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:44 am
Sorry for going down this path, but if you are genuinely concerned about green issues (I am conscious about being a good steward of the Earth, but this is not my primary motivation), limiting use of AC and heat is probably the lowest hanging fruit.
Well, I took the other path to “low hanging fruit” by having 5 wells dug down 200’ to power our ground based heat pumps. It’s not necessarily frugal unless you take the long view. I am like you in that I don’t mind cold; I keep our home pretty brisk in Boston weather, but I can’t deal with excessive heat.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:54 am
Well, I took the other path to “low hanging fruit” by having 5 wells dug down 200’ to power our ground based heat pumps. It’s not necessarily frugal unless you take the long view. I am like you in that I don’t mind cold; I keep our home pretty brisk in Boston weather, but I can’t deal with excessive heat.
If only that was a viable option for the rest of us. You certainly have it figured out.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:21 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:54 am
If only that was a viable option for the rest of us. You certainly have it figured out.
It is not viable for everyone, but the government and utility incentives paid for around 40% of the expense. Interest free loans for iirc 7 years can soften the remaining impact. I think it’s more economic than people assume when they hear the up front cost. On an operating basis, my home runs at a small annual profit (solar/batteries/geothermal), including charging my EV.
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

My kid's summer camp sometimes hands out tasty leftovers at pick-up. That provided a nice dinner for me.