What's wrong with Google Finance these days?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Caduceus

What's wrong with Google Finance these days?

Post by Caduceus » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 am

Has anyone noticed something wrong/buggy with Google finance these days?

I am used to getting taken to the page with the graph as the centerpiece, and lots of comparison data below it. I got that one hour ago. But now when I click on the same bookmarked link I am taken to a page where "Google Finance" is just a tab - there is no graph. And company data is presented in "modules" rather than in table form.

It's been happening on and off for a week now. Anyone else experience this?

lgs88

Re: What's wrong with Google Finance these days?

Post by lgs88 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 am

"Google Finance is under renovation. As a part of this process, the Portfolios feature won't be available after mid-November 2017. To keep a copy, download your portfolio."

I suspect they're overhauling it. I hope so; it is pretty obvious that a company the caliber of Google could create a tool much more useful than the extremely buggy/limited Google Finance. As it stands, you can't even set it to reinvest dividends, and it completely misses dividends from Vanguard mutual funds.

That said, I'm surprised they didn't just roll out a brand-new product and get rid of the old one all at once. It is Google, after all.
merely an interested amateur

open_circuit

Post by open_circuit » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 am

Caduceus wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 am
Has anyone noticed something wrong/buggy with Google finance these days?

I am used to getting taken to the page with the graph as the centerpiece, and lots of comparison data below it. I got that one hour ago. But now when I click on the same bookmarked link I am taken to a page where "Google Finance" is just a tab - there is no graph. And company data is presented in "modules" rather than in table form.

It's been happening on and off for a week now. Anyone else experience this?
Looks fine (same old page) to me. Maybe you're lucky and get the new page first!

mhc

Post by mhc » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:54 am

Try googling it, and you will see that Alphabet announced that Google Finance is being overhauled.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:19 am

There are a couple of other previous topics on this issue, see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=233265 and/or viewtopic.php?f=10&t=228486

You might want to try https://finance.google.com/finance, which at least temporarily doesn't seem impacted by the change(s).
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams