MoviePass-Too good to be true, but it's legit.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mhalley

Re: MoviePass-Too good to be true, but it's legit.

Post by mhalley » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:18 am

Now movie pass is showing only a couple of movies available, but only in the evening. Why on earth would they not want you to go to the cheaper matinee shows?

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:39 am

Had to pull the plug last night. Really wanted to believe...... Shame on the movie industry for killing the little guy. Now these crazy ticket/concession prices will remain completely the same.... Considering AMC stubs A-List, but I'm not sure I want to give any more of my money to the big movie industry.....

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:20 pm

Oh MoviePass you have been so very good to me, but alas I knew it could not last. Spouse and I each bought an annual subscription in late November for $90 and have now seen 30 movies to date--each and every one we would have otherwise seen in the theater with or without MoviePass. Others here have justifiably complained about your terrible customer service, and your change of terms that have barely affected us. But, now, you have limited inventory to a handful of movies at a handful of times. Simply not what you promised us MoviePass.

Owners of the company have filed a class action for misrepresentations. Subscribers have a more difficult path: your terms and conditions bar class actions, and those terms likely would be upheld, I suspect. Subscribers can pursue a small claims case or an arbitration claim against you, but the amount at issue is fairly small (a gamble I am sure you understood when you brazenly changed the terms every few days these last few weeks), and I suspect a judgement against you is likely uncollectable.

I have read about subscribers taking their legitimate anger out on you in other ways. Need to use a restroom in Manhattan? Use the MoviePass, get inside, use the restroom, and leave without ever seeing a minute of the movie. (No doubt a violation of the terms of service, but MoviePass, I know you'll understand such brazen conduct). Some have been attending theaters that give out concession rewards based on the number of movies you see. You can get a year's worth of free popcorn, thanks to MoviePass.

MoviePass, what are the next terms you are gonna change on us, and disappoint me?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:29 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:53 pm
Recently on Clark Howard podcast he discussed the recent Moviepass scam is when you try to cancel without you knowing they sign you up for the new plan and he said about the only way to get out seems to be by disputing with the credit card company.
How would Clark possibly know that since this is just unfolding now?

I cancelled and they have sent me several offers to renew...so it would appear I am genuinely cancelled in their system as of month end.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:34 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:29 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Recently on Clark Howard podcast he discussed the recent Moviepass scam is when you try to cancel without you knowing they sign you up for the new plan and he said about the only way to get out seems to be by disputing with the credit card company.

I cancelled and they have sent me several offers to renew...so it would appear I am genuinely cancelled in their system as of month end.
This was with a discussion with a caller who had this happen to them and the Clark team had had multiple contacts about the same subject. Here is his recent article on the subject. There are multiple reports of this issue.

https://clark.com/technology/moviepass- ... -timeline/

Topic Author
denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Recently on Clark Howard podcast he discussed the recent Moviepass scam is when you try to cancel without you knowing they sign you up for the new plan and he said about the only way to get out seems to be by disputing with the credit card company. Good luck to anyone who signed up with this company.
Anyone who say at least 1.5 movies a month for the last several months (including me) has made a killing off MoviePass. No regrets for signing up.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm

denovo wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Nate79 wrote:
Recently on Clark Howard podcast he discussed the recent Moviepass scam is when you try to cancel without you knowing they sign you up for the new plan and he said about the only way to get out seems to be by disputing with the credit card company. Good luck to anyone who signed up with this company.
Anyone who say at least 1.5 movies a month for the last several months (including me) has made a killing off MoviePass. No regrets for signing up.
This is what killed Moviepass. They needed more customers who weren't killing them.

Topic Author
denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:42 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:38 pm
denovo wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:37 pm
Nate79 wrote:
This is what killed Moviepass. They needed more customers who weren't killing them.
Perhaps, but that's not my problem. You said " Good luck to anyone who signed up with this company." Everyone who has used MoviePass has made a killing getting to see an amazing number of movies thanks to ignorant investors. They were selling a dollar for a quarter. No regrets.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:57 pm

In January, my wife and I each bought a year of MoviePass via Costco. I can't see foreign films any longer at the Laemmle theaters (MP has turned those off), but I can still use e-ticketing to see films at the Landmark/Nuart cinemas. This certainly isn't the MoviePass to which I subscribed, which has allowed me to see about ten movies per month. I'm trying to decide whether to ask Costco for a refund or just see how many films of interest I can see between now and mid-January.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:46 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:34 pm
munemaker wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:29 pm
Nate79 wrote:

This was with a discussion with a caller who had this happen to them and the Clark team had had multiple contacts about the same subject. Here is his recent article on the subject. There are multiple reports of this issue.

https://clark.com/technology/moviepass- ... -timeline/
Sounds like shenanigans, for sure. I think it was either the last day of last month or the second to last day of last month that I quit, and they made me stay until the end of this month. I think that is in accordance with the terms.

Post by 123 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm

It is with deep sadness that I decided to cancel my MoviePass subscription. We had some really great times over the year we were together. Mostly ready to go at any theater at any time. Spur of the moment was fine. But there was too much turmoil in our relationship the last 2 months. MoviePass got to be very finicky for non e-ticketing theaters, Maybe 10 movies daly to pick from at many theaters but those 10 movies churned daily and tended to be movies I wasn't interested in seeing. I'll miss the e-ticketing theaters, they were the "art houses" in my city but the films they had are hit-or-miss, I can wait till they show up on Netflix or Amazon. I feel a little guilt about ending the relatonship, I was one of the heavy users usually seeing 2+ movies weekly, though less in the final month.

Was I "true" to MoviePass? I have to admit my eyes began to wander the final month. I started a side relationship with AMC Stubs A-List. It's twice the price but it gives me more variety. Theater locations for me aren't quite as convenient but I can make do. I don't know if I can remain true to AMC over the long haul, my eyes are beginning to wander in the direction of Sinemia https://www.sinemia.com/ . Sinemia comes close to the original vision of MoviePass with a 3 movie a month deal at what seems to be just about any theater in my area. I'll likely see how AMC Stubs A-List works for me the rest of the year but I can forsee buying myself a holiday gift subscription to Sinemia for 2019.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

nervouscorps

Post by nervouscorps » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm

I've been with Sinemia for a month and am very happy with it-- I left Moviepass too.

Que1999

Post by Que1999 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:06 pm

123 wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:18 pm
It is with deep sadness that I decided to cancel my MoviePass subscription. We had some really great times over the year we were together. Mostly ready to go at any theater at any time. Spur of the moment was fine. But there was too much turmoil in our relationship the last 2 months. MoviePass got to be very finicky for non e-ticketing theaters, Maybe 10 movies daly to pick from at many theaters but those 10 movies churned daily and tended to be movies I wasn't interested in seeing. I'll miss the e-ticketing theaters, they were the "art houses" in my city but the films they had are hit-or-miss, I can wait till they show up on Netflix or Amazon. I feel a little guilt about ending the relatonship, I was one of the heavy users usually seeing 2+ movies weekly, though less in the final month.

Was I "true" to MoviePass? I have to admit my eyes began to wander the final month. I started a side relationship with AMC Stubs A-List. It's twice the price but it gives me more variety. Theater locations for me aren't quite as convenient but I can make do. I don't know if I can remain true to AMC over the long haul, my eyes are beginning to wander in the direction of Sinemia https://www.sinemia.com/ . Sinemia comes close to the original vision of MoviePass with a 3 movie a month deal at what seems to be just about any theater in my area. I'll likely see how AMC Stubs A-List works for me the rest of the year but I can forsee buying myself a holiday gift subscription to Sinemia for 2019.
I've cancelled and moved over to Stubs A-List as well. It's 2x the price per month, and we're not able to view the indie films we enjoyed with Moviepass, BUT, I've gotta say..... Ordering the movies/seats days in advance from the phone app is supremely convenient! Any big flicks we can get the best seats in the house days before anyone else can. Also, A-List includes premium imax /Dolby/3d movies as well, which of course Moviepass didn't.... Myself and the wife are really enjoying it so far. Let's see how it goes over the next few months.

csm

Post by csm » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:14 pm

nervouscorps wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 pm
I've been with Sinemia for a month and am very happy with it-- I left Moviepass too.
We cancelled MoviePass just over a month ago and are now considering Sinemia. Seems like a good alternative.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:55 pm

I also cancelled MoviePass and have applied to Sinemia. Still waiting for it to activate as I did not want to pay the 20 dollar "activation expedite" fee. Two weeks now.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:00 pm

A warning to previous Moviepass subscribers to watch for emails that Moviepass is automatically resubscribing people who have left:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/moviepas ... st-opt-out

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:03 pm

I'm just excited that the stock bounced up 174% today and I was able to recover my entire gamble on it.

No more penny stocks for me!

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:15 am

I also canceled Moviepass.
Re: Simemia:
Movies around here cost about $10/ticket.
If I maximized my Simemia use and saw 3 movies/month I would save $20/month, ASSUMING I would have seen 3 movies/month anyway. I didn't hit that average with Moviepass, though one a week was my goal.
In the greater scheme of things (the long run), I don't think that savings will have any significant impact on my financial well-being. On the other hand it would give another company permission to mine my data and another monthly bill to monitor. If it didn't work at times it would cost me time and energy calling the company to complain. I may have to look at annoying ads on my phone. Just another layer of life's complexity.
Small prices to pay, I know, but I think I will die just as happy and secure if I buy my movie tickets with cash and have one less thing to monitor and think about.
Just my humble opinion, having lived with Moviepass. And another way to approach life. Not for everybody I know.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:24 am

Cancelled moviepass about a month ago due to the random selection of six movies which changed constantly.

Won't be using AMC alist as the nearest AMC is a filthy rundown theater that is unpleasant to watch movies in.

Luckily a local chain has $5 movies all day Tuesday and they have a clean comfortable theater. We figure 4 movies a month on Tuesdays should be enough for us and runs the same cost as A List.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:14 am

My Sinemia activated today. It was easy to select a movie at my favorite theater - it has reclining seats, full food and drink and great movies. Regular ticket is 16 dollars. With Sinemia, unlike movie pass, I can buy my tickets up to 30 days in advance for the seat I want. ALL 2D movies available! Got my first two tickets today for three nights from now.

krafty81

Post by krafty81 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:41 pm

Update. Have used Sinemia for about six weeks with no issues. A little more expensive than I thought. Monthly fee is $9.99. There is no physical card, you do it all online with the CC # they provide. There is a $2.80 fee per ticket service charge. So I average about 6 bucks a movie for tix that go for 16. No issues so far and I like being able to reserve any movie that is showing in advance.