Filing Restricted SS Application - Language Check

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
One Ping

Filing Restricted SS Application - Language Check

Post by One Ping » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:55 pm

I'm getting ready to file sometime in the next several months a restricted application for my spousal benefit. I wanted to check the language I plan on using in the 'Remarks' box of the online application. I've researched several threads on the subject and have arrived at what I believe should cover all the bases without getting too wordy.

Here it is ...
  • "I wish to exclude Retirement benefits from the scope of this application (POMS GN 00204.020 D.2). I am eligible to file this restricted application because I was born before January 2, 1954 and I wish to begin receiving my Spouse's Insurance Benefit (SIB) in the month I attain FRA, Xxxxxxx 20XX (POMS GN 00204.020 D.1.b)."
Thoughts?

One Ping
"Re-verify our range to target ... one ping only."

mhalley

Re: Filing Restricted SS Application - Language Check

Post by mhalley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Maybe make it "exclude retirement benefits ON MY OWN RECORD from the scope...."

https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ho ... nly-online

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Go in person, if possible.
I filled restricted for Divorced Spouse two years ago and it worked fine...
Attempted new signature...

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 pm

One Ping wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:55 pm
I'm getting ready to file sometime in the next several months a restricted application for my spousal benefit. I wanted to check the language I plan on using in the 'Remarks' box of the online application. I've researched several threads on the subject and have arrived at what I believe should cover all the bases without getting too wordy.
It's only crystal clear language if somebody reads it. When I filed online for my spousal benefit (about 6 years ago) my very clear statement in the remarks box just wasn't read. They just proceeded to automatically give me my own benefit at FRA. I only caught the SSA error late in the game by luck.

I recommend doing it by personal or phone interview so you can verify somebody has heard what you wanted to do.
JW
Last edited by JW-Retired on Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired at Last

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:21 pm

That certainly seems fine. I filed for spousal benefits last year and it went smoothly. I used
I wish to exclude Retirement benefits from the
scope of this application. I wish for my restricted spousal benefit to begin in <month>. I do not wish to begin my own retirement benefit.
Your language is more precise, which could be helpful.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:42 pm

I think your statement looks fine. Last year I filed my restricted application online, and used the following statement: "I wish to exclude Retirement benefits from the scope of this application. I wish for my restricted spousal benefit to begin in May, my birthday month. I do not wish to begin my own retirement benefit."

It all went fine. I received a phone call follow up from SS 1-2 months later, before my spousal benefits started. The caller was confirming that I was filing a restricted application, and they had everything right. I would think that, if the phone call is standard practice, that would serve as a quality check should there be a misunderstanding.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:50 pm

JW-Retired wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 pm
One Ping wrote:
It's only crystal clear language if somebody reads it. When I filed online for my spousal benefit (about 6 years ago) my very clear statement in the remarks box just wasn't read. They just proceeded to automatically give me my own benefit at FRA. I only caught the SSA error late in the game by luck.
If I may ask, how did you end up catching the error?

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 pm

mhalley wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:03 pm
Maybe make it "exclude retirement benefits ON MY OWN RECORD from the scope...."

https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ho ... nly-online
I thought about that, but the explicit language recommended in the POMS didn't reference "on my own record". I ultimately decided against adding it because if the words "on my own record" appeared in the note (regardless of the context) I was concerned they might think that's what I wanted ... my benefit "on my own record". :oops:

I'll rethink it though ... :?

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:59 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:42 pm
I think your statement looks fine. Last year I filed my restricted application online, and used the following statement: "I wish to exclude Retirement benefits from the scope of this application. I wish for my restricted spousal benefit to begin in May, my birthday month. I do not wish to begin my own retirement benefit."

It all went fine. I received a phone call follow up from SS 1-2 months later, before my spousal benefits started. The caller was confirming that I was filing a restricted application, and they had everything right. I would think that, if the phone call is standard practice, that would serve as a quality check should there be a misunderstanding.
Seems like many of the posts in the other threads reference a 'confirming' phone call. Anyone know if that has become standard practice? Seems like that would certainly cut down on the screw-ups ... :wink:

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 pm

The Wizard wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:14 pm
Go in person, if possible.
I filled restricted for Divorced Spouse two years ago and it worked fine...
I'll call tomorrow and see how far out they are booking, just in case. Thanks.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am

One Ping wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:50 pm
JW-Retired wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:20 pm
One Ping wrote:
If I may ask, how did you end up catching the error?
They called me about some extraneous matter and mentioned in passing what my benefit amount was going to be. It was my full FRA amount!

I've forgotten what they called about, but It surely would have been mess if I had not found this out until the first check came.
JW
Retired at Last

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:57 am

JW-Retired wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:33 am
They called me about some extraneous matter and mentioned in passing what my benefit amount was going to be. It was my full FRA amount!

I've forgotten what they called about, but It surely would have been mess if I had not found this out until the first check came.
JW
Hmmm .... Maybe as a general rule one could check by giving them a call some time after submitting the application but before benefits start (say a month before you expect your benefit to start) and ask, "What will my benefit be?", just as a check to see how it compares with what you expect.

I might just do that if I don't go in person to make the application ... maybe even if I do. :wink:

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:12 pm

The online application itself has the following question: "If eligible for both retirement and spouse's benefits, delay receipt of retirement benefit." If you answer "yes", which my wife did, one is filing a restricted application for spousal benefits.

In the remarks section, my wife did make the following statement: "I am submitting a restricted application for spousal benefits. I am not applying for retirement benefits under my own social security account."

My wife filed the application on August 4, one day after her FRA, for payments to begin in September to coincide with Medicare Part B insurance premium payments. As my wife's spousal benefits will be very modest (I filed in July for my WEP-reduced benefits at age 63 and 7 months) it's likely that her spousal benefit might barely cover Medicare Part B payments. We're still waiting for processing to be complete.

We're all probably guilty of overthinking this situation.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:52 pm

ChrisC wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:12 pm
Prolly so ... :sharebeer

strafe

Post by strafe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 am

ChrisC wrote:
The online application itself has the following question: "If eligible for both retirement and spouse's benefits, delay receipt of retirement benefit." If you answer "yes", which my wife did, one is filing a restricted application for spousal benefits.

In the remarks section, my wife did make the following statement: "I am submitting a restricted application for spousal benefits. I am not applying for retirement benefits under my own social security account."

My wife filed the application on August 4, one day after her FRA, for payments to begin in September to coincide with Medicare Part B insurance premium payments. As my wife's spousal benefits will be very modest (I filed in July for my WEP-reduced benefits at age 63 and 7 months) it's likely that her spousal benefit might barely cover Medicare Part B payments. We're still waiting for processing to be complete.
See

This is not foolproof. They messed up my father's application despite marking the restricted application yes and including clear remarks. As others have said, none of this does any good if the bureaucrat processing your application doesn't read it.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 am

strafe wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 am
ChrisC wrote:

See

This is not foolproof. They messed up my father's application despite marking the restricted application yes and including clear remarks. As others have said, none of this does any good if the bureaucrat processing your application doesn't read it.
Nothing is foolproof, but the tendency here is to equate missteps reported here with a sense that there is widespread ineptitude on the part of government bureaucrats. These applications are probably read by a computer first, and perhaps only by a human when something goes wrong with the application processing. I had no problems with my application for retirement benefits and we're expecting no problems with my wife's restricted application, but though we trust the process will work for us -- we always verify that the process did work for us. :beer

dowse

Post by dowse » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am

Watching this and earlier similar threads carefully, as I will be applying for a restricted application early next year. The experiences seem to be all over the map with this. Some have had problems online, some over the phone and some in person. It seems that no matter what the method, things sometimes go wrong, perhaps (hopefully) things more often go right. The lesson seems to be that no matter what the method, it is wise to apply early enough so that the outcome can be verified and any mistakes corrected before any payments begin. I hope that by the time I apply, the SSA employees will be more experienced with this and less likely to make a mistake.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am

dowse wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am
... The lesson seems to be that no matter what the method, it is wise to apply early enough so that the outcome can be verified and any mistakes corrected before any payments begin. I hope that by the time I apply, the SSA employees will be more experienced with this and less likely to make a mistake.
I applied in person for my Divorced Spouse Benefit in November a few years ago. I got some printouts from them and was confident they got my application right. I don't recall getting any other communiques from the SSA prior to my first (correct) deposit from them in mid March.

So I'm not sure what happens when you apply online. Do you get a confirmation in a few weeks both of your filing status, spousal or personal, and your expected monthly payout?
Attempted new signature...

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

The Wizard wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am

I applied in person for my Divorced Spouse Benefit in November a few years ago. I got some printouts from them and was confident they got my application right. I don't recall getting any other communiques from the SSA prior to my first (correct) deposit from them in mid March.

So I'm not sure what happens when you apply online. Do you get a confirmation in a few weeks both of your filing status, spousal or personal, and your expected monthly payout?
I applied online 3-4 months in advance, and received a call confirming my application details. IIRC I also received a mailing indicating the planned spousal benefit.

In addition, you can log into "my Social Security" and view/download a Benefit Verification letter. I did this about 6 weeks before receiving my first spousal payment. This will verify your total spousal benefit and also any deductions for medicare and/or withholding.

Just realize that it will take 1-2 months after you apply before the phone call and online verification will be available.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:09 am

The Wizard wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:45 am
dowse wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:00 am
... The lesson seems to be that no matter what the method, it is wise to apply early enough so that the outcome can be verified and any mistakes corrected before any payments begin. I hope that by the time I apply, the SSA employees will be more experienced with this and less likely to make a mistake.

I applied online for retirement benefits. You receive a tracking number one can use to check your application status. Received a confirmation email one day later which also stated that someone from SSA might call you if they needed to check with you. 4 days later I received another email stating my benefit payment and that my application was complete. A few days later I received by snail mail a payment/benefit verification letter. My application was filed July 23 and asked for benefits to start in July. My first payment was August 1. My next payment will be the 3rd Wednesday in September, which will be my cycle for payments. I'm not on Medicare so there's no deduction from my retirement payment.

My wife applied for spousal on August 4. She received an email confirmation the next day along with a note that someone from SSA could call you up to check with you. Her application is still being processed. She asked for payments to start in September, which is when she makes her Medicare Part B premium payment.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 am

The process seems anything BUT foolproof.

I received wrong information from a phone rep. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219220&hilit=spousal+benefits .

I also saw multiple posts online of others who received wrong info from phone reps and in person at their local SSA office, such as this person's blog. https://www.thebalance.com/do-you-reall ... on-2388949

I am going to appear in person at my local SSA office to try to insure that they get it right before I file. That's one of many great things about being retired. Being able to waste our time on bureaucracy without causing ourselves significant pain.

And I agree with the poster above who suggested we are overthinking this. Having frequented this forum for 8 years or so, I think that is endemic of our breed.

My wording: "This is a RESTRICTED APPLICATION (POMS GN 00204.020 D 2). I wish to exclude retirement benefits on my own record from the scope of this application. I am eligible to file this restricted application because I was born before January 2, 1954 .

dowse

Post by dowse » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Filed a restricted application in December for benefits to start in March. Still waiting for an award letter, however, just today, I logged into My Social Security and it will now produce a benefits verification letter showing the correct spousal benefit I will be receiving. Still waiting for the official award letter to show up either online or on paper. Also, the system will no longer produce estimated benefits as I am "already receiving a benefit". A question for others who have gone through it - do you get any indication confirming that your application was indeed restricted? Any language in the letter(s) you received indicating such?

Cheyenne

Post by Cheyenne » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Seems like many of the posts in the other threads reference a 'confirming' phone call. Anyone know if that has become standard practice? Seems like that would certainly cut down on the screw-ups ...
I applied for early SS benefits at age 63 a few years ago and I received a confirming phone call. Naturally, I fouled it up by starting at year end. The first two payments were for Nov. and Dec. I was still working and knew I would need to pay them back a percentage but didn't realize they look back a calendar year, so the two payments I received exceeded what I owed them. I had to pay back the total that I received from those first two months.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:43 pm

Since I kicked-off this thread I thought I would provide an update on what happened ... basically nothing unusual to report! :D

I applied on-line, got a confirmation in the mail a few days/weeks later (I don't remember exactly), called the agent listed on the confirmation notice to "confirm" everything was as expected/indicated ... it was. First check showed up in the bank account as expected, the month after achieving FRA. Nothing to see here. :beer

I did use a version of the language I proposed above (see below) and checked the box in the online application marked "I wish to EXCLUDE benefits on my own record." (or something like that).
One Ping wrote:
"I wish to exclude Retirement benefits from the scope of this application (POMS GN 00204.020 D.2). I am eligible to file this restricted application because I was born before January 2, 1954 and I wish to begin receiving my Spouse's Insurance Benefit (SIB) in the month I attain FRA, Xxxxxxx 20XX (POMS GN 00204.020 D.1.b)."

dowse

Post by dowse » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:03 am

Just received my award letter in the mail. All seems to be in order. I wish the letter would include language confirming that I continue to receive delayed retirement credits, and that I am eligible to apply for benefits under my own record at a future date, but it doesn't contain any language that specific. The only thing close to this is the statement "This benefit is the only benefit you can receive from us at this time. In the future, if you think you might qualify for another benefit from us, you will need to apply again". I assume this is a standard line that appears in the letters others in this situation have received?

I saved a copy of my application. Here are the key relevant questions and my answers.

Reduced benefits: Earliest month possible without a permanent age-related reduction.

If eligible for both retirement and spouse's benefits, delay receipt of retirement benefit: Yes

Remarks: I am submitting a restricted scope application for spousal benefits. I wish to exclude retirement benefits under my own social security account from the scope of this application. I wish to accrue delayed retirement benefits under my own account.

The remarks don't seem necessary, given the questions above, but I included them anyway. It seems to have gone smoothly in my case. I hope it will go as smoothly 4 years from now.

dowse

Post by dowse » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 am

For those who might be wondering how the transition to Medicare Part B premium payments are handled. In Feb., I received and paid a quarterly bill to cover March, April and May. My first SS payment will occur in April with the premium deducted. I just received a refund check in the mail from the US Treasury for 2 months worth of premiums. I also received a new Medicare card with a number based on my wife's SS number with a B1 suffix. It has been announced that starting in April, all numbers are being transitioned to new ones that are not based on an SS number.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:38 am

dowse wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 am
For those who might be wondering how the transition to Medicare Part B premium payments are handled. In Feb., I received and paid a quarterly bill to cover March, April and May. My first SS payment will occur in April with the premium deducted. I just received a refund check in the mail from the US Treasury for 2 months worth of premiums. I also received a new Medicare card with a number based on my wife's SS number with a B1 suffix. It has been announced that starting in April, all numbers are being transitioned to new ones that are not based on an SS number.
Thanks, I was wondering how the Medicare billing would transition. I too was paying quarterly and sent in the paperwork about a month ago for monthly deductions from my checking account. Not soon enough apparently since I just received a bill due by the end of March for the next three months, which I'll pay. My restricted application starts in July at FRA, so there will likely be an over payment to Medicare that will be eventually refunded. No big deal at $134 a month.

Chip

Post by Chip » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:47 pm

dowse wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:52 am
For those who might be wondering how the transition to Medicare Part B premium payments are handled. In Feb., I received and paid a quarterly bill to cover March, April and May. My first SS payment will occur in April with the premium deducted. I just received a refund check in the mail from the US Treasury for 2 months worth of premiums.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I'd hoped it would be that simple.

patandjames72

Post by patandjames72 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 am

So I reach my FRA on July 27th, 2018. My wife is now receiving social security that she took at 66. I am still working getting over 145K per year. I was planning to file online on about Aug6th to get my SIB. My question is - there should be no issue with me filing in August against my wifes' Social Security? I was going to use this in the remarks/comments section "This is a Restricted Application to file for my Spousal Insurance Benefit (SIB) ONLY. I am allowed to file this Restricted Application because I was born before January 1st, 1954. I attain Full Retirement Age (FRA) in July 2018 (birthday July 27th, 1952). I wish to file for my Spousal Insurance Benefit (SIB) starting at my FRA, with the resulting first payment to be paid in September 2018." A lot of good comments above - would you all agree with this plan? ty for your input.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:52 am

patandjames72 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 am
So I reach my FRA on July 27th, 2018. My wife is now receiving social security that she took at 66. I am still working getting over 145K per year. I was planning to file online on about Aug6th to get my SIB. My question is - there should be no issue with me filing in August against my wifes' Social Security? I was going to use this in the remarks/comments section "This is a Restricted Application to file for my Spousal Insurance Benefit (SIB) ONLY. I am allowed to file this Restricted Application because I was born before January 1st, 1954. I attain Full Retirement Age (FRA) in July 2018 (birthday July 27th, 1952). I wish to file for my Spousal Insurance Benefit (SIB) starting at my FRA, with the resulting first payment to be paid in September 2018." A lot of good comments above - would you all agree with this plan? ty for your input.
Looks good to me. There is a question early on in the online filing form that asks if you are filing for spousal or retirement benefits. Make sure you check spousal only. You will receive a follow-up call to confirm your choices. Make sure you have been understood.

You can file immediately BTW because you are so close to reaching FRA. If you wait any longer you may have a delay in getting your first check. I would specify in comments that you want your first check to arrive in August (third Wednesday), with spousal benefits to begin in July at your FRA. I would verify your wife's PIA and make sure the amount of your spousal benefit is 1/2 of that amount. SS employees have a wide range of expertise, so you should be sure of your numbers going in.

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:40 am

My wife will be filing for restricted benefits shortly at her FRA of 66. I am already receiving my benefits and have reached FRA.
Currently, my wife's medicare charges are auto deducted from our checking account. I have seen others posting about the transition from paying quarterly. Just wanted to check if others have had a smooth transition from auto deduction of medicare charges to just withholding from SS benefits.

dowse

Post by dowse » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:32 pm

dcdowden wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:40 am
My wife will be filing for restricted benefits shortly at her FRA of 66. I am already receiving my benefits and have reached FRA.
Currently, my wife's medicare charges are auto deducted from our checking account. I have seen others posting about the transition from paying quarterly. Just wanted to check if others have had a smooth transition from auto deduction of medicare charges to just withholding from SS benefits.
I went through this in March with my own restricted application. I had already paid a quarterly bill for Medicare that covered two months beyond when it would taken directly out of my SS benefit. I received a check in the mail from the US Treasury in the amount of two months worth of premiums. So, in my case, at least, it was very smooth.

One Ping

Post by One Ping » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:42 pm

dowse wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:32 pm
dcdowden wrote:
I went through this in March with my own restricted application. I had already paid a quarterly bill for Medicare that covered two months beyond when it would taken directly out of my SS benefit. I received a check in the mail from the US Treasury in the amount of two months worth of premiums. So, in my case, at least, it was very smooth.
OP here. Ditto that is what I did and what happened to me.

My SSA contact told me that it would be OK to just pay for the months until SS would start the deductions, but, being paranoid, I paid for the whole quarter. Got two months refunded shortly after SS started.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:49 pm

patandjames72 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:17 am
You don't have to give them a lengthy explanation. There are boxes for you to check. Many of us found the filing process relatively easy. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=247604&p=3998762#p3998762

TravelforFun

vested1

Post by vested1 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:57 pm

dowse wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:32 pm
dcdowden wrote:
I was originally paying quarterly from checking, but I anticipated double payments once my restricted application takes effect in August 2018 (FRA in July), so I transitioned to auto-pay from my checking account, filling out the form and sending it in about 3 months ago. The 1st single month auto withdrawal occurred for the July payment about a week ago. When my restricted application takes effect the Medicare premiums will be automatically deducted from the benefit check before they send it, along with 10% federal tax withholding. No over-payment, no waiting to be reimbursed.

Namashkar

Post by Namashkar » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 pm

If, as reported in this thread, some but not majority of applicants experienced clarifying what there applications were for, resulting in benefits not intended. I am astonished why is the SS administration not having separate application forms, one based on his or her records and the other one based on spousal record. This would simply avoid unnecessary complications.

How do I make this suggestion to the SS administration?

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Namashkar wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 pm
If, as reported in this thread, some but not majority of applicants experienced clarifying what there applications were for, resulting in benefits not intended. I am astonished why is the SS administration not having separate application forms, one based on his or her records and the other one based on spousal record. This would simply avoid unnecessary complications.

How do I make this suggestion to the SS administration?
There are boxes on the online form you could check to indicate your desire. I have no doubt having different forms would create a different set of confusion for some folks.

TravelforFun

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:26 pm

My wife recently filled out the online application. Very simple. It asks you whether you are applying for "retirement benefits" or "spousal benefits." So you just pick one or the other, in your case "spousal benefits." Why is any further explanation necessary.

patandjames72

Re: Filing Restricted SS Application -next step

Post by patandjames72 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:01 am

So filed online, seems simple enough- just received Form OMB No. 096-0009 Marriage Centification in the mail for my wife to fill out. It asks for her previous marriages, but she has none. And it looks like we "do not" have to file a copy of the marriage certiicicate. Would it be a good idea to attach a copy anyways - or just send the form back? They also sent me a copy of what I filled out online. Under remarks it says Work: Foreign 2017=? and US TAXS PD=2017? 2018? My 2nd question is - should I worry about this question marks - or just assume - they are the federal gov'mt and they can look up my 27 year work history. Thoughts?

neilpilot

Re: Filing Restricted SS Application -next step

Post by neilpilot » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:18 am

patandjames72 wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:01 am
So filed online, seems simple enough- just received Form OMB No. 096-0009 Marriage Centification in the mail for my wife to fill out. It asks for her previous marriages, but she has none. And it looks like we "do not" have to file a copy of the marriage certiicicate. Would it be a good idea to attach a copy anyways - or just send the form back? They also sent me a copy of what I filled out online. Under remarks it says Work: Foreign 2017=? and US TAXS PD=2017? 2018? My 2nd question is - should I worry about this question marks - or just assume - they are the federal gov'mt and they can look up my 27 year work history. Thoughts?
Just send back the form. When I filed online for spousal against my DW's record, we received a follow up phone call. The SA agent asked to talk to my wife to confirm we were married. No request for a copy of the marriage certificate. No form to fill out.

patandjames72

Post by patandjames72 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks you for the message - I imaged it, and sent it back yesterday.

dcdowden

Post by dcdowden » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm

My wife recently filed for restricted spousal benefits - she checked the box for spousal benefits and included a statement like others have discussed. She received an email telling her to call someone at the SSA processing center in Chicago. When she made the call the rep confirmed everything my wife had already included in the application and also wanted to talk to me to confirm our marriage - which was also included in the application. The rep then wanted to make sure that my wife understood that her benefit at FRA would be significantly larger than her restricted spousal benefit would be. It was almost like she was trying to talk her into taking her own benefit rather than the restricted spousal benefit. That was the only odd thing about the conversation, but everything went smoothly - took about 5 minutes.

patandjames72

Post by patandjames72 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:30 pm

Social Security contacted my wife, now that I am applying for her benefit - SSA is going to reduce her benefit - there is I am told a CAP on monthly benefits for the family overall (that applies for me to get this spousal benefit). My wife does not want her benefit reduced, so I am going to withdrawal my request, now that we see this effect.

MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:55 pm

patandjames72 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:30 pm
Social Security contacted my wife, now that I am applying for her benefit - SSA is going to reduce her benefit - there is I am told a CAP on monthly benefits for the family overall (that applies for me to get this spousal benefit). My wife does not want her benefit reduced, so I am going to withdrawal my request, now that we see this effect.
This does not make any sense to me. Could you please describe your family's situation fully.

From your previous posts it sounds like your wife is receiving her Primary Insurance Amount (PIA) based on her earnings record and you filed for your spousal benefit at full retirement age which would be 50% of her PIA. The family maximum based on anyone's earnings record is at least 150% of the earner's PIA. So there is no way that the earner collecting her retirement benefit plus a spouse collecting a spousal benefit on her earnings record can exceed the family maximum. Is there a third person, perhaps a child, collecting on her record as well? Is your wife collecting on someones earnings record other than her own?

Furthermore, if family earnings are limited by the family maximum, the primary earners benefit should not be limited, only the auxiliary benefits paid to others.

patandjames72

Post by patandjames72 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 pm

So this is our situation - my wife's CAP total family benefit - $3,665 ; She gets SS based on her work record of $2,146 per month. Yes, our son is disabled before the age of 26 - he gets SS Disability of $1,073 (50% of my wife's); so I guess now that I am 66 at my FRA - it must be her benefit plus his benefit from the total leaving apx 446 avail due to cap for family. My cap for family total is higher than hers - but I am still working hopefully to 70. I am 66 now. Thoughts? Thankyou in advance for your input.

MtnBiker

Post by MtnBiker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Here is another thread which discusses SS claiming options for a couple with a disabled adult child.

viewtopic.php?t=250481

Your situation has the benefit that both parents have high earnings records, so when both parents begin claiming on your own accounts, the combined family maximum will likely be high enough to not result in benefits being capped for any of the three of you. This article explains the combined family maximum and dual entitlement rules which are relevant for calculating social security benefits for families with a disabled adult child:

https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v75n3/v75n3p1.html

Working through the details is complex, tedious, and it is very easy to misinterpret the rules and reach a wrong conclusion. Alternatively, you could spend $40 for a year's subscription to the SS calculator found at https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com. Using that tool you could explore different claiming strategies and see what would work best for your situation.