Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 pm

As a card-carrying economist, I construe the word "investment" more broadly than most folks, and it therefore hit me today that the suggestion to acquire an Instant Pot (electronic pressure cooker), something that never would have occurred to me had I not seen enthusiastic endorsement here, has a vastly higher rate of return (RoR) than anything else I have picked up here. I really was not much of a cook before I bought one (on sale on Amazon Prime Day 2016 for $69.99) last summer. But since then, I have learned how to make all kinds of inexpensive, appealing, tasty and nutritious meals--so I am spending a lot less on eating out and processed convenience foods. I am quite sure I have already saved over 10 times its cost in decreased food costs alone, not to mention the savings in time, convenience, reduced energy use in the summer (because I use my oven less in the summer and therefore my AC doesn't have to work so hard.)

Would be interested to hear others share the best personal consumption "investment tips" they have gotten from this forum.

(Edited to add the word "consumption" in the last sentence above to clarify that I am not asking about what most people would usually consider "investment" tips, i.e., stocks and bonds, but about investments in consumption items that reduce future costs.)
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lightheir
Posts: 2401
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by lightheir » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm

What are your favorite recipes? Just curious how it became such a big factor in your life. Did you cook much before it?

It does get great reviews!

User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:22 pm

lightheir wrote:What are your favorite recipes?
Soups of all kinds: butternut squash and sweet potato with ginger, curried split pea, all kinds of ways to do lentils, 15 bean soups. Supereasy to whip up a batch of soup, which I store in single serving covered glass pyrex dishes in the fridge to be reheated or freezer whenever desired. I used to spend a ton of money on convenience boxed soups that didn't taste that good. No more. These taste so much better for a fraction of the price.

Salsa chicken is super easy and fast--I buy large resealable bags of frozen boneless chicken thighs or breasts on sale and I don't even need to thaw before cooking, just toss in one piece of chicken per person into the stainless steel pot, cover with salsa, put the lid on, press a few buttons on the keypad, and magic!

Also,frozen wild salmon fillets (again, I buy large resealable bags of them on sale and no need to thaw before cooking) are very easy to cook--and again, no need to thaw.

I also love making steelcut oats with no muss, fuss, or babysitting. (Put oats, water, and a bit of salt in a pyrex glass dish sitting on top of the steamer rack. Put top on, press a few buttons, go out for a short early morning walk and come back to wonderful oatmeal. Sometimes I stir a tablespoon of peanut butter into the warm oatmeal after it is cooked, other times I put in a cutup apple and cinnamon before I cook it.)

Also, boiling up a batch of perfectly cooked and easy to peel hardboiled eggs is super easy in an Instant Pot. (I am embarrassed to say that I used to buy bags of already boiled and peeled eggs before I got my Instant Pot!)
lightheir wrote:Just curious how it became such a big factor in your life. Did you cook much before it?
No I did not cook much before I got it (unless you count things like "heating up boxed soup in the microwave" or "mixing storebought hardboiled eggs with wasabi mayonnaise" as "cooking"). I was kind of a klutz in the kitchen as a kid and my younger sister was much more competent, so my mother taught her to cook instead of me. (I wound up cleaning the bathrooms instead!)

My husband was a very good cook and did almost all the cooking for our family until he unexpectedly died at 59 four years ago. After his death, I more or less "got along" with things like boxed soups and such (and a lot of takeout and meals at Panera, Denny's, breakfast sandwiches at the bagel bakery, etc.) until I got the Instant Pot.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6218
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by bottlecap » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Yes, your definition of investment is broader than anyone else's. :wink:

bigred77
Posts: 2026
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by bigred77 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 pm

I've been wanting to make my entire backyard (its small; 400 sqft or so) a paverstone patio for years now. Then I can fire the lawn service. The yield on that investment is 16.8% per year in saved lawn fees. That's how I'm justifying the expense to myself anyway :mrgreen:

User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 28760
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 pm

dodecahedron:

Best "investment tip":
The Bogleheads Investment Philosophy:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course
Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:00 pm

bigred77 wrote:I've been wanting to make my entire backyard (its small; 400 sqft or so) a paverstone patio for years now. Then I can fire the lawn service. The yield on that investment is 16.8% per year in saved lawn fees. That's how I'm justifying the expense to myself anyway :mrgreen:
Ha! I am currently doing a bunch of front yard projects including having a porch and paved area built as well as a bunch of ground cover. I will wind up with less lawn to mow and a shorter walkway to shovel, but in my case, I would be kidding myself if I thought I could justify the project that way, given the indulgence of my particular plans. My real motivation is that I have always dreamed of having a porch (I actually call it a "veranda") and I am excited about finally having a really beautiful front yard (I have engaged a landscape architect whose work really captures my dreams well.) My "dividends" from this "investment" will come primarily in the form of additional enjoyment rather than reduced costs. (Though I suppose I might feel less need to travel because of the beauty at home, so I suppose that reduced travel costs could be considered a cost saving associated with my landscaping investment just like reduced eating out and reduced convenience food spending is a cost saving return associated with my Instant Pot investment. Hmmm...)

On the other hand, last summer I had my inground pool removed and *that* investment has a very substantial return (savings on opening/closing/repairs, water, electricity, chemicals, homeowners insurance--due to reduced liability exposure, property taxes, periodic fence maintenance, etc.) Conservatively over 20% per year in saved expenses. But still doesn't hold a candle to my Instant Pot "investment" at over one thousand percent per year in saved expenses!

But it is also fun to note that pretty much all my personal consumption "investments" yield "dividends" that are taxfree. (There is no place on the 1040 to report the "cost savings" due to your Instant Pot!)

WildBill
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by WildBill » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 pm

Howdy

Great post.

I have learned a lot from this forum - the most valuable investment tips:

-livesoft on paying zero taxes in retirement

-livesoft and many others on Roth conversions

- multiple posters on Zorijoshi rice cookers for making oatmeal, which has been a life changing experience

I need to check out this Instant Pot :P

Thanks to all

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

ofckrupke
Posts: 637
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:26 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by ofckrupke » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:48 pm

The instant pot, and possibly the paving of the lawn guy's paradise, seem suited to the next edition of the Andrew Tobias book.

User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:00 am

ofckrupke wrote:The instant pot, and possibly the paving of the lawn guy's paradise, seem suited to the next edition of the Andrew Tobias book.
Thanks for reminding me of that awesome book. My husband (also an economist) and I both memorably read that book early in our relationship. It came out while we were in grad school, shortly before we were married and it resonated with both of us, possibly confirming our future compatibility as husband and wife. He was very fond of shopping and had it down to something of a fine art or science (we ran across an article in an economics journal that referred to shopping as "consumption administration," a phrase that amused us both and he was fond of using to refer to his pursuit of such activities.)
bottlecap wrote:Yes, your definition of investment is broader than anyone else's. :wink:
I think ofckrupke's reference to the highly influential Andy Tobias book (titled: The Only Investment Guide You'll Ever Need) suggests that I am not the only one you defines investment so broadly. Andy Tobias would definitely consider my Instant Pot an investment, as would my late husband and probably most professional economists.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 6553
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by whodidntante » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:11 am

No, you shouldn't prepay your mortgage. Sorry, wrong thread. :happy

User avatar
TinkerPDX
Posts: 277
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by TinkerPDX » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:13 am

Commuter bike > parking, 2nd car, gym membership (and, of course, rush hour traffic)

Iron > sending shirts to cleaner (usually do it while watching a show, so negligible time cost)

acanthurus
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:02 am

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by acanthurus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 am

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9430
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:50 am

WildBill wrote:Howdy

[snip...]

- multiple posters on Zorijoshi rice cookers for making oatmeal, which has been a life changing experience

I need to check out this Instant Pot :P
I bought an Instant Pot because of the reviews here, and have been waiting to put it into action. The salsa chicken recipe sounds like my taste and "involvement level." My Zorijoshi continues to be the best investment I've ever made, in terms of satisfaction and health. I hope the Instant Pot comes close.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
WildBill wrote:Howdy

[snip...]

- multiple posters on Zorijoshi rice cookers for making oatmeal, which has been a life changing experience

I need to check out this Instant Pot :P
I bought an Instant Pot because of the reviews here, and have been waiting to put it into action. The salsa chicken recipe sounds like my taste and "involvement level." My Zorijoshi continues to be the best investment I've ever made, in terms of satisfaction and health. I hope the Instant Pot comes close.
Ah... I was scrolling down to ask if someone had a good comparison of the Zorijoshi rice cooker and the Instant Pot, preferably for cooking similar/identical foods.

Of special interest: Steel cut oatmeal (cooked in water, not milk, if it matters here).
How is the quality of the oatmeal, cooking time, and ease of use... especially including cleaning up so it's ready for the next batch.
(If anyone has also made oatmeal in a microwave, how does that compare?)

I'm still back in the dark ages of cooking oatmeal in an actual pot, with an actual wooden spoon.
Do either of the automated methods compare favorably with the old-fashioned method in terms of taste (not just ease/cleanup).

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

lightheir
Posts: 2401
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by lightheir » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:dodecahedron:

Best "investment tip":
The Bogleheads Investment Philosophy:

1 Develop a workable plan
2 Invest early and often
3 Never bear too much or too little risk
4 Diversify
5 Never try to time the market
6 Use index funds when possible
7 Keep costs low
8 Minimize taxes
9 Invest with simplicity
10 Stay the course
Best wishes
Taylor

I have to be 100% honest - while I do all of the above and have been doing it for 20 years now, the BULK of my earned investment income has been from:

- A single stock that outperformed over a long period of time that I was lucky (and I mean lucky) to hold correctly.

- Big uptick in my house price where I took a gamble by buying in a HCOL area when everyone said to NOT buy

My indexed funds in comparison have been expectedly boring, and creeping along, but for sure they will NOT significantly change the quality of my life upwards from where it is now (which I'm fine with, fortunately due to a big income bump in my 30s). Whereas that lone stock pick from my early very-limited stock picking days and especially the gamble on the house purchase which was probably as anti-BH as yhou can get, were absolute, game-changing life-changing investments.

I'm still a believer in the BHer way since I'm financially conservative and the idea of losing capital frightens me a lot more than slowly gaining capital, but it's more than a bit hypocritical of me to swear by the 10 principles above when the bulk of my investment returns were gained from doing the opposite.

Shows that its important not to be dogmatic and to realize that there's more than one way to skin a cat. And I still use all index funds and haven't bought real estate or single stocks aside from those exceptions above.

Valuethinker
Posts: 38979
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Valuethinker » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 am

bottlecap wrote:Yes, your definition of investment is broader than anyone else's. :wink:
It's actually the accounting or finance definition.

"Investment" is the purchase of new non current assets. That is to say, assets, tangible or intangible, that have a greater than one year useful life in the business (and so are normally depreciated or amortized over that useful life).

In the Statement of Cash Flows this falls under Cash Flow from Investing Activities (normally a negative number, but a separate line will show the proceeds of disposals of equipment, property etc.).

Issuance of debt or equity (cash inflows) or repayment of same (outflows) are shown in Cash Flow from Financing Activities.

When we get to Portfolio Management and other higher level finance courses then we talk about deploying cash flow to buy financial assets-- in other words, to make investments in shares, bonds, etc. Which is more the context individual investors here use it in.

Lynette
Posts: 1886
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Lynette » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:21 am

I saw the thread about the Instant Pot but isn't this the old pressure cooker? My mother had one in the sixties and I also had one - don't use it now - but salads from the local supermarket in Michigan (Meijers). I've also remodeled my front and back yard. I love hostas and my neighbor told me I must water my new plants a log.

Last night i got the fright of my life. I came back from Spanish class at about 10:00 p.m. The security light came on and there were two creatures on the vinyl near the security door. I knocked them away with a broom. They must have been about six inches long. I decided that they were slugs and now I know more about slugs than I want to know. I decided that they are not really frightening but I have a whole bunch of stuff coming from Amazon such as Sluggo and some copper tape. The tape will be placed across the three entrances to my house. Apparently slugs don't like to cross copper.

Now that I'm retired it occurred to me to have a veranda built but I'm terrified of water in my basement. I have a great bay window where I can sit on my recliner and watch the world go by - mainly kids going to school with mothers, people walking dogs and retirees!

The best financial tip I got here was Taylor Larimore's 3 fund strategy and lots more from others.

Thanks,

Lynette

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9430
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:36 am

ResearchMed wrote:Ah... I was scrolling down to ask if someone had a good comparison of the Zorijoshi rice cooker and the Instant Pot, preferably for cooking similar/identical foods.
I am still delighted with the steel cut oats out of my Zorijushi. I have read IP users on BH like the oatmeal, but I get the impression that they prefer the shorter time more than any perceived quality difference.

Please don't ask for a citation, but I remember seeing a suggestion to not cook oats in the IP, whereas the Z has a porridge setting. Good enough for me, but I wouldn't want anyone to cut back on the best part of breakfast on my account :D
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

WildBill
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by WildBill » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:46 am

ResearchMed wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
WildBill wrote:Howdy

[snip...]

- multiple posters on Zorijoshi rice cookers for making oatmeal, which has been a life changing experience

I need to check out this Instant Pot :P
I bought an Instant Pot because of the reviews here, and have been waiting to put it into action. The salsa chicken recipe sounds like my taste and "involvement level." My Zorijoshi continues to be the best investment I've ever made, in terms of satisfaction and health. I hope the Instant Pot comes close.
Ah... I was scrolling down to ask if someone had a good comparison of the Zorijoshi rice cooker and the Instant Pot, preferably for cooking similar/identical foods.

Of special interest: Steel cut oatmeal (cooked in water, not milk, if it matters here).
How is the quality of the oatmeal, cooking time, and ease of use... especially including cleaning up so it's ready for the next batch.
(If anyone has also made oatmeal in a microwave, how does that compare?)

I'm still back in the dark ages of cooking oatmeal in an actual pot, with an actual wooden spoon.
Do either of the automated methods compare favorably with the old-fashioned method in terms of taste (not just ease/cleanup).

Thanks.

RM
Howdy

I will quote my experience.

I love oatmeal. Especially steel cut oatmeal cooked properly. I do not like the various instant or blanched oatmeals, which are similar to library paste, only worse.

Pre- Zojirushi I cooked it in a pot on the stove with attendant time, mess and cleanup.

Now I put oatmeal and water in the Zoj night before, set timer, wake up, eat absolutely delicious oatmeal. As a matter of fact I am eating it now, with blueberries, bananas and almond milk. Sometimes a little honey or maple syrup, and whatever fruit is ripe. Yum.

Preparation and clean up each about 10 seconds.

The small Zoj is the perfect size for oatmeal or rice for 3-4 people and takes very little space on the kitchen
counter. It is not suitable for mass production of chili and stews etc as Instant Pot is.

The only drawback is Ms W B is constantly robbing it to cook porridge, rice and etc and often interferes with my morning oatmeal logistics. You can see where that is heading. Divorce, or a second Zojirushi.

Happy cooking

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9430
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:02 am

Apologies for diverting to oatmeal love, but it's on topic, because I'm considering investing in a second Zoj.

WB, Which is "the small Zoj?" Between coffee equipment, IP, Zoj, and my wife's various electronics, our counter space is limited. I would happily buy another Zoj for oatmeal, I've just been afraid that the results wouldn't be as good. Fwiw, I stopped prepping the oatmeal the night before (imo loses some of the "grittiness" that I like), and switched to Flavahan's Oatmeal, because it's a better bed for the eggs I like on top.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:09 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:Apologies for diverting to oatmeal love, but it's on topic, because I'm considering investing in a second Zoj.

WB, Which is "the small Zoj?" Between coffee equipment, IP, Zoj, and my wife's various electronics, our counter space is limited. I would happily buy another Zoj for oatmeal, I've just been afraid that the results wouldn't be as good. Fwiw, I stopped prepping the oatmeal the night before (imo loses some of the "grittiness" that I like), and switched to Flavahan's Oatmeal, because it's a better bed for the eggs I like on top.
Thanks for mentioning the "grittiness" of oatmeal started the night before.
I had wondered about that, as there are a few such techniques.

Again, does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of oatmeal (specifically) prepared with the Zorijoshi rice cooker vs. the Instant Pot?
Even if we used it only for oatmeal, if it was *good* oatmeal, and faster/easier (not to mention faster cleanup), we'd get <it>.

And also: Why is the cleanup so much easier? Isn't there the same "oatmeal inside the pot/container" problem?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 9430
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by TomatoTomahto » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:20 am

ResearchMed wrote:Even if we used it only for oatmeal, if it was *good* oatmeal, and faster/easier (not to mention faster cleanup), we'd get <it>.
And also: Why is the cleanup so much easier? Isn't there the same "oatmeal inside the pot/container" problem?
Put oats, water, and a bit of salt in a pyrex glass dish sitting on top of the steamer rack. Put top on, press a few buttons, go out for a short early morning walk and come back to wonderful oatmeal.
I think the IP is quicker than the Zoj. My Zoj starts indicating 65 minutes, but the fuzzy logic knocks off 13 minutes, so 52.
Otoh, my Zoj has fewer steps (measure 1/2 cup oats, measure 1 1/4 cups water), say porridge and go). No steamer rack, no pyrex bowl.

My guess is that both are more convenient and tastier than stove top, and obliterate any of the instant, extruded slop out there. Fielders choice.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

WildBill
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:47 pm
Location: San Antonio, Texas

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by WildBill » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:31 am

ResearchMed wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:Apologies for diverting to oatmeal love, but it's on topic, because I'm considering investing in a second Zoj.

WB, Which is "the small Zoj?" Between coffee equipment, IP, Zoj, and my wife's various electronics, our counter space is limited. I would happily buy another Zoj for oatmeal, I've just been afraid that the results wouldn't be as good. Fwiw, I stopped prepping the oatmeal the night before (imo loses some of the "grittiness" that I like), and switched to Flavahan's Oatmeal, because it's a better bed for the eggs I like on top.
Thanks for mentioning the "grittiness" of oatmeal started the night before.
I had wondered about that, as there are a few such techniques.

Again, does anyone have a side-by-side comparison of oatmeal (specifically) prepared with the Zorijoshi rice cooker vs. the Instant Pot?
Even if we used it only for oatmeal, if it was *good* oatmeal, and faster/easier (not to mention faster cleanup), we'd get <it>.

And also: Why is the cleanup so much easier? Isn't there the same "oatmeal inside the pot/container" problem?

Thanks.

RM
Howdy

Some observations.

I have a small Zoj, I think it is the five cup model. It fits nicely in the back corner of our counter and takes minimal space.

Understand that this critter is essentially a rice cooker, and has been the object of continuous development by smart guys at Zojirushi who take their rice very, very seriously. It has built in fuzzy logic and keep warm settings and automatic adjustments which cook and maintain rice and oatmeal at a perfect consistency. All transparent to user. You load it, hit timer, hit cook and wake up in the morning to perfect oatmeal.

Due to all this built in intelligence the oatmeal is still perfect four hours later. These guys know what they are doing and have built a fine machine. It just happens to cook oatmeal extremely well because the rice porridge setting works great for oatmeal.

It has an internal cladded steel bowl that may be the best feature because it is very easy to clean. It is a high tech cladding, not teflon. You take the bowl out, add water and oats, put it back in, set timer hit cook. In the morning you take it out, use wooden spoon to put oatmeal in bowl, swirl it under faucet with scrubbing pad for five seconds, dry, replace ready for next batch.

Enjoy your oatmeal

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid

User avatar
Peter Foley
Posts: 4945
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:34 am
Location: Lake Wobegon

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Peter Foley » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:36 am

Insight into the topic of risk (need, willingness, and ability) and its role in asset allocation.

dspencer
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:29 am

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dspencer » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:34 pm

I had no idea people were so passionate about their oatmeal and its preparation! Recently, I have been eating muesli with yogurt and a bit of milk. I just put the yogurt in the night before and add a little milk in the morning. It doesn't even require a special gadget to cook!

The best investment tip I got was probably to not buy a house. But then I bought one anyway.

Kennyt7
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Kennyt7 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:40 pm

seltzer maker, refilling canon cartridges for my copier(anyone can learn to refill them or others), buying certified used cars off lease

core4portfolio
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by core4portfolio » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:54 pm

If complexity doesnt worked then turn to simplicity
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

User avatar
Kitty Telltales
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 am
Location: In the middle of the EU sometimes Florida

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Kitty Telltales » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 pm

Kennyt7 wrote:seltzer maker, refilling canon cartridges for my copier(anyone can learn to refill them or others), buying certified used cars off lease
+ 1 In the seltzer maker

Buy my generic lazor printer cartridges off ebay for a third the price. I learned to reset them (YouTube) when they read toner out and get approx. 200 more pages

Haven't bought a certified used car off lease yet, but sounds like a good idea

sharpjm
Posts: 657
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by sharpjm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:02 pm

I have 2 questions for folks who own one:

1) Aren't there cheaper alternatives to this product? I believe $50 7-in-1 devices exist with the exact same program options.

2) How often do you use all the different versions of the product? To me, it seems like almost all the recipes mentioned could just be made in a crock pot.

I ask because I am interested in one, but I feel like they are getting a bit overhyped. Someone made a smartphone app and attached it to a crock pot - OK, what if I don't care about that aspect of it?

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 1157
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:35 pm

There were just too many investment tips I have gained from this forum to itemize, but keeping my taxable accounts as tax efficient as possible is one of many.

Back to Instant Pot (IP), oak meal and Zoj.

DW bought the IP on sale from Amazon last year and it has been a blessing, as much as Zoj and Vitamax.

One thing about the Zoj that I complained about was the inner pot. I had to replace twice for in 6-7 years, due to the coating.

I'm lazy. Here is DW's oatmeal recipe that she taught me to make. Got my oatmeal from Costco; added organic chia seeds and unsweetened almond milk (all Costco) to an old jam bottle. Stir and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Warm it up in the morning. I like to add craisins, raisins, summer fruits, depending on prices. It is a healthy breakfast and low cost.
Last edited by htdrag11 on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:52 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
And also: Why is the cleanup so much easier? Isn't there the same "oatmeal inside the pot/container" problem?
Cleanup is so much easier because the oatmeal doesn't touch the Instant Pot. The only thing touching the Instant Pot is water. The oatmeal cooks in a single serving glass Pyrex bowl that sits on a steamer rack above the water. So when it is ready, I just remove the glass dish and eat the oatmeal directly out of the Pyrex bowl. The dish requires no more effort to clean up than any other bowl I would eat the oatmeal in. After I finish eating, there is very little residue in the bowl and it can directly in the dishwasher (or it is a breeze to clean by hand.) The Instant Pot itself doesn't require any cleaning--because the only that was in contact with it is water.

Even for soups and other recipes like the chicken salsa, where food is directly in contact with the Instant Pot, cleanup is still very easy because the Instant Pot has a removable stainless steel liner that cleans like a dream.

User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:58 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Put oats, water, and a bit of salt in a pyrex glass dish sitting on top of the steamer rack. Put top on, press a few buttons, go out for a short early morning walk and come back to wonderful oatmeal.
I think the IP is quicker than the Zoj. My Zoj starts indicating 65 minutes, but the fuzzy logic knocks off 13 minutes, so 52.
The IP is about 20 minutes, start to finish. It is 6 minutes actual cooking time at high pressure, but it takes a about 5 minutes to come to pressure after I press the button to start, and I also let it come down naturally from high pressure after the 6 minutes is up, which is roughly 10 additional minutes of low pressure cooking.

User avatar
Topic Author
dodecahedron
Posts: 4703
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by dodecahedron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:04 pm

sharpjm wrote:I have 2 questions for folks who own one:

1) Aren't there cheaper alternatives to this product? I believe $50 7-in-1 devices exist with the exact same program options. I paid $69 for my IP, thanks to BH alert that it was on sale on Amazon Prime Day in 2016. There may be cheaper knockoffs but I like that there are a huge number of recipes online that have been specifically been tested in the IP, and since not all pressure cookers are equally powerful,
there would be trial and error in adapting them to another product.


2) How often do you use all the different versions of the product? To me, it seems like almost all the recipes mentioned could just be made in a crock pot. I have a crockpot. It is many times slower,
I can't saute in it, and it is much harder to cleanup.


I ask because I am interested in one, but I feel like they are getting a bit overhyped. Someone made a smartphone app and attached it to a crock pot - OK, what if I don't care about that aspect of it?
I have not bothered to use the smartphone app. I just use the keypad on the front of the IP.

hicabob
Posts: 2861
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by hicabob » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm

sharpjm wrote:I have 2 questions for folks who own one:

1) Aren't there cheaper alternatives to this product? I believe $50 7-in-1 devices exist with the exact same program options.

2) How often do you use all the different versions of the product? To me, it seems like almost all the recipes mentioned could just be made in a crock pot.

I ask because I am interested in one, but I feel like they are getting a bit overhyped. Someone made a smartphone app and attached it to a crock pot - OK, what if I don't care about that aspect of it?
IP is really nice and they do go on sale regularly. See slickdeals.com for example. $70 w/free shipping seems to be "the deal".
The difference between an IP and a crockpot is that the IP is a temperature servoed pressure cooker and not just a heater.
They have a heavy stainless pot, quality seal & excellent firmware which I am a stickler for. All in all nice unit indeed and I think mine is great.
I saw that they are in fact a Canadian company based in Ottawa with Chinese manufacturing. You can easily get spare bits and accessories too which is good.

TheHouse7
Posts: 512
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by TheHouse7 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Invest more time in finding the right spouse. By far the most financial hazard around is divorce.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Almost there
Posts: 903
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:06 pm
Location: Arizona USA

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Almost there » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:13 pm

Tomato Tomatho wrote:
Of special interest: Steel cut oatmeal (cooked in water, not milk, if it matters here).
How is the quality of the oatmeal, cooking time, and ease of use... especially including cleaning up so it's ready for the next batch.
(If anyone has also made oatmeal in a microwave, how does that compare?)

I'm still back in the dark ages of cooking oatmeal in an actual pot, with an actual wooden spoon.
Do either of the automated methods compare favorably with the old-fashioned method in terms of taste (not just ease/cleanup).

Thanks.
Every time I made Steel Cut Oatmeal I get a headache, so I went back to regular oatmeal and am doing just fine. Always been doing a lot of healthy cooking. As to oatmeal, I don't cook it at all. For one person: measure out 3/4 cup of oatmeal, add some raisins, nut, carob chips, etc. and add 3/4 cup of water to cover the oatmeal. Cover the glass dish and place into refrigerator overnight. Next morning, stir, add cinnamon, cut up apple, or pear or banana and add nut milk. Very delicious especially here in Arizona where it is hot. In the winter, if it gets cold, I will go back to cooking it.

sleepwell
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by sleepwell » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:04 am

This isn't a tip that I got from Bogleheads, but since someone else mentioned a porch, I wanted to chime in. For most of my life, I wanted to have one. In 2008 I finally built my porch. It is eight feet deep and runs the length of the front of the house. Building that porch was one of the best things I have ever done. It is an incredible source of enjoyment to me. I sit on it almost every evening and watch the birds and gaze at my front garden (Thank you, Son #1, for putting in all those flower beds!) and think about more garden projects. When my kids come by or when friends visit, we usually sit on the porch and talk. Since I live near Charlotte, the weather is nice most of the year, which is conducive to being outside.

So to anyone here who is thinking about building a porch, I recommend doing it. Just make sure it is deep enough to have a porch swing!

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 16535
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:28 pm

dspencer wrote:I had no idea people were so passionate about their oatmeal and its preparation! Recently, I have been eating muesli with yogurt and a bit of milk. I just put the yogurt in the night before and add a little milk in the morning. It doesn't even require a special gadget to cook!

The best investment tip I got was probably to not buy a house. But then I bought one anyway.
Another oatmeal fan here, easy and fast on the few mornings when I am in a rush.

Investing advice, keep everything simple if possible. It applies to other areas of life.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18982
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:54 am

I have learned in the Forum that 100% cocoa chocolate exists. In the retrospect, it is obvious, but I just had not considered it. The 100% cocoa chocolate has solved my dilemma of getting chocolate's benefits while avoiding sugar.

Thanks to the Bogleheads I am now investing in the flavanoids by ingesting them.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1998
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by WhiteMaxima » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 am

CSR has short term travel insurance. Generally, the US health is worst in cost and benefit in the developed world. We pay more and get less.

Dottie57
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:44 am

sleepwell wrote:This isn't a tip that I got from Bogleheads, but since someone else mentioned a porch, I wanted to chime in. For most of my life, I wanted to have one. In 2008 I finally built my porch. It is eight feet deep and runs the length of the front of the house. Building that porch was one of the best things I have ever done. It is an incredible source of enjoyment to me. I sit on it almost every evening and watch the birds and gaze at my front garden (Thank you, Son #1, for putting in all those flower beds!) and think about more garden projects. When my kids come by or when friends visit, we usually sit on the porch and talk. Since I live near Charlotte, the weather is nice most of the year, which is conducive to being outside.

So to anyone here who is thinking about building a porch, I recommend doing it. Just make sure it is deep enough to have a porch swing!
I invest in lottery tickets every so often. If I win (haha), I want to buy a condo in a car molex where the car units have an enclosed porch. Keeps the mosquitos out.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:48 am

Dottie57 wrote:
sleepwell wrote:This isn't a tip that I got from Bogleheads, but since someone else mentioned a porch, I wanted to chime in. For most of my life, I wanted to have one. In 2008 I finally built my porch. It is eight feet deep and runs the length of the front of the house. Building that porch was one of the best things I have ever done. It is an incredible source of enjoyment to me. I sit on it almost every evening and watch the birds and gaze at my front garden (Thank you, Son #1, for putting in all those flower beds!) and think about more garden projects. When my kids come by or when friends visit, we usually sit on the porch and talk. Since I live near Charlotte, the weather is nice most of the year, which is conducive to being outside.

So to anyone here who is thinking about building a porch, I recommend doing it. Just make sure it is deep enough to have a porch swing!
I invest in lottery tickets every so often. If I win (haha), I want to buy a condo in a car molex where the car units have an enclosed porch. Keeps the mosquitos out.
Condo in a car molex?

:confused

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6195
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:52 am

Not really a "consumption" investment tip, but I think the best tip I ever derived from Bogleheads is this: when you get the urge to make a change in your portfolio, go do something else until the urge passes.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Dottie57
Posts: 6995
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Dottie57 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:56 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:Even if we used it only for oatmeal, if it was *good* oatmeal, and faster/easier (not to mention faster cleanup), we'd get <it>.
And also: Why is the cleanup so much easier? Isn't there the same "oatmeal inside the pot/container" problem?
Put oats, water, and a bit of salt in a pyrex glass dish sitting on top of the steamer rack. Put top on, press a few buttons, go out for a short early morning walk and come back to wonderful oatmeal.
I think the IP is quicker than the Zoj. My Zoj starts indicating 65 minutes, but the fuzzy logic knocks off 13 minutes, so 52.
Otoh, my Zoj has fewer steps (measure 1/2 cup oats, measure 1 1/4 cups water), say porridge and go). No steamer rack, no pyrex bowl.

My guess is that both are more convenient and tastier than stove top, and obliterate any of the instant, extruded slop out there. Fielders choice.

Since you are a big instant pot user, how is RICE made in the IP? I like oatmeal and rice the same, so would want one to do both.

Jackson12
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:38 pm

lightheir wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:04 pm
What are your favorite recipes? Just curious how it became such a big factor in your life. Did you cook much before it?

It does get great reviews!
We love ours. It's adds some new options ( sautéing , making yogurt) to " old school" pressure cooking and allows us to easily prepare meals even when exhausted at the end of a long day.

I use ours at least 5 - 6 times weekly. It makes one pot cooking easy, although I often finish off some entrees and casseroles by browning the tops in a toaster oven ( also quick and simple) . I was surprised to discover I could make both soft and hard cooked eggs and it's a snap to peel the shells from the eggs. .

I do think some fans of the instant pot have gone overboard, trying to cook things that won't work well in a pressure cooker. For example, I always prefer fish which is oven baked or steamed in a saucepan.

But I'm confident it is not a gimmick or product which will eventually sit, rarely used, in my kitchen. I've been a fan from the first day it arrived.

Jackson12
Posts: 1004
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:44 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:45 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:56 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:Even if we used it only for oatmeal, if it was *good* oatmeal, and faster/easier (not to mention faster cleanup), we'd get <it>.
And also: Why is the cleanup so much easier? Isn't there the same "oatmeal inside the pot/container" problem?
Put oats, water, and a bit of salt in a pyrex glass dish sitting on top of the steamer rack. Put top on, press a few buttons, go out for a short early morning walk and come back to wonderful oatmeal.
I think the IP is quicker than the Zoj. My Zoj starts indicating 65 minutes, but the fuzzy logic knocks off 13 minutes, so 52.
Otoh, my Zoj has fewer steps (measure 1/2 cup oats, measure 1 1/4 cups water), say porridge and go). No steamer rack, no pyrex bowl.

My guess is that both are more convenient and tastier than stove top, and obliterate any of the instant, extruded slop out there. Fielders choice.

Since you are a big instant pot user, how is RICE made in the IP? I like oatmeal and rice the same, so would want one to do both.
I'm not the original poster but rice is simple and cooked at high pressure. .You simply use a 1:1 ratio of rice to water or broth and push the button for the rice setting. You can find recipes and tips in online groups such as those found on Facebook ( which often provide links to relevant sites)

GoldenFinch
Posts: 1963
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:34 pm

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by GoldenFinch » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:24 pm

A small thing that helped me out:

After getting an estimate for over 2k for lawn maintenance, I bought a manual lawn mower for 130 dollars after reading a thread about old fashioned mowers here on Bogleheads. My husband bet that I wouldn't use it and neighbors think I'm making some kind of statement, but I am really just being cheap and getting extra exercise. I LOVE mowing my lawn with this mower. It's quiet, it's easy, and my lawn looks better than many of my neighbors who have services or use riding mowers. Geat exercise, saves money and I wish I had done it sooner.

Two summers down and saved over $4,000. :happy

User avatar
celia
Posts: 9766
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:32 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by celia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:18 am

Starting Social Security at age 70 (under the old file and suspend rules).

Tax-efficient fund placement

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 18982
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Best "investment tip" I have gotten from Bogleheads

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:10 am

Buy BitCoins low and sell high.

Victoria
just kidding
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Post Reply