I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TLC1957

Re: I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Post by TLC1957 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:04 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:If you have a hitch rack that blocks your license plate, you can (and people have been) ticketed.
How is this any different then a truck mount rack, my truck mounted unit blocks my plate when the bikes are on the car. I do not see how any carrier will not block the plate when the bikes are in place.

Earl Lemongrab

Re: I bought a different car and my old bike rack no longer works. How should I transport my bike moving forward?

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:06 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:If you have a hitch rack that blocks your license plate, you can (and people have been) ticketed.
How is this any different then a truck mount rack, my truck mounted unit blocks my plate when the bikes are on the car. I do not see how any carrier will not block the plate when the bikes are in place.
I report the facts. This came to my attention originally from a report on the lo-cal TV news. You can search for incidents and discussion if you'd like.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 pm

bike racks aren't cheap.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 am

WOW. This thread morphed into getting a new bike. Previous threads on bike advice will leave your head spinning.
You need a rack that fits your new car, which you have not let us know what that is.
Thule and Yakima bike racks are available for almost every make and model. Simple as that, but not necessarily the cheapest. Still, a quality bike rack for them will probably cost less that a new quality bike. Go to there websites and you can probably put in your exact modal and the will tell you what you need.
There are two types of bike racks basically, on the back or on the roof.
The back ones are available online and places like Walmart. Look there. Trunk mount, hatchback mount. Slanted hatch, straight hatch. Buy Walmart rack as appropriate and try it out. They will take it back it it does not work for you.

On BH most bike threads relate to casual riding. Anyone into serious riding will not have any problem with spending extra dollars and getting a real good rack from Thule

or Yakima.

Only you know how often you transport your bike and what would be convenient or not. While taking off the wheel/wheels, is a viable option, it may not be as convenient. You are already used to your present method of transport.

Seems as if the advice about buying a new bike when you actually only need a new rack sidesteps the point. A new bike will also maybe require another rack for your new car.

tony5412

Post by tony5412 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:45 am

Go with a hitch rack
Last edited by tony5412 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Ford Fusion. Has a trunk, not a hatchback.

I googled Walmart bike racks. Found this.

Allen Sports rack. 102DN Deluxe. $34.84

A trunk mounted rack. It has a picture.
Go buy this and see how it works. Not for you. Take it back.

I know you stated you would like a trailer hitch rack. All of these are for a car with a square hitch mount already installed. Or else you will have to get one. Cost of hitch mount and the installation. You are running up some dollars there.
You said you ride infrequently. You are not riding 3-6 days a week. So you can just put on a trunk mount as needed.
Don't overthink this. Not for $35.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:41 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:Ford Fusion. Has a trunk, not a hatchback.

I know you stated you would like a trailer hitch rack. All of these are for a car with a square hitch mount already installed. Or else you will have to get one. Cost of hitch mount and the installation. You are running up some dollars there.
You said you ride infrequently. You are not riding 3-6 days a week. So you can just put on a trunk mount as needed.
I have a trunk mount Hollywood rack and just came back from a 1200 mile trip to Prince Edward Island (PEI). I have a 2013 Honda Accord and the trunk mount rack sits on the rear bumper and has 3 straps on each side to hold it in place. The problem is the weight of the 2 bikes on the rack resulted in the bumper cover flexing and the straps would loosen over time. I really tighten the straps now the bumper cover has a low spot in it. Most likely going to get a 2018 Honda CRV when they come out next year. Going to go with a hitch type bike rack to avoid the problem.

By the way PEI is a beautiful place to ride bikes along the Confederate Trail an abandoned railroad bed that runs and width of the island. Beautiful views of red sand beaches and green potatoe fields, just wonderful.

tractorguy

Post by tractorguy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:31 pm

I am using a Saris freedom 2 hitch mount tray type bike rack. I have used Thule roof racks and a Yakima trunk mounted rack. The hitch mount is by far the easiest to put on the car and put bikes on.
Lorne

Sand101

Post by Sand101 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:37 pm

tony5412 wrote:
Shallowpockets wrote:WOW. This thread morphed into getting a new bike.
That's because getting a new bike isn't that much more expensive than buying a new rack and hitch.
It is if you do it right. :happy

Personally, if someone wants my bike they're going to have to break into the car to get it. Bikes getting stolen off of racks at restaurants, etc. is very common. A bike with quick release wheels makes taking the front wheel off easy.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:21 am

how many of you actually read that OP has Walmart bike?

tony5412

Post by tony5412 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:15 am

Get a new bike
Last edited by tony5412 on Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:35 am

Sand101 wrote:
tony5412 wrote:
Shallowpockets wrote:WOW. This thread morphed into getting a new bike.
That's because getting a new bike isn't that much more expensive than buying a new rack and hitch.
It is if you do it right. :happy

Personally, if someone wants my bike they're going to have to break into the car to get it. Bikes getting stolen off of racks at restaurants, etc. is very common. A bike with quick release wheels makes taking the front wheel off easy.
Potential theft is another good argument for a hitch-mounted bike carrier (if you don't have a bike you can fit in the trunk). Just thread a locking cable through the bike frame and also through the stay-chain connector on the hitch. Provided the hitch is also installed with a locking hitch pin, a thief will need some heavy-duty tools to swipe the bike.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:22 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
TLC1957 wrote:
I report the facts. This came to my attention originally from a report on the lo-cal TV news. You can search for incidents and discussion if you'd like.
This is true they can, but in practice for over 20 years with driving I have never experienced it. I drive to multi-use trail about 3 times a week. I have also taken it on long vacation trips. I suppose if you get pulled over for doing something else illegal they might give you a ticket. Local law enforcement also might have different policies for this. YMMV

For racks I like the Kuat hitch beta racks, quality design and light weight aluminum. If you get the a hanging rack you should also have a Swagman adapter bar for bike with slopping tube tops. I prefer the hanging hitch rack types, I am never afraid that the bike will "pop" off. I had a platform type rack and it popped off going over a big bump, not something I ever want to experience ever again.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:29 am

Had both roof rack and temporary trunk attachment.

Trunk rack was a pain to install, a new adventure each time. Scratched car paint. Dumped it at some point.

Roof rack holds two bikes securely, has lasted a very long time, and I can add a 3rd bike to the inside of my cargo of the smal SUV (Forester) and crossover (Outback).

Lifting bikes onto the roof was the lesser evil compared to problems with my trunk rack.

Topic Author
nitro4214

Post by nitro4214 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:37 am

Shallowpockets wrote:Ford Fusion. Has a trunk, not a hatchback.

I went to Wal-Mart and picked it up although it was $60 and not $35. It is not as easy to attach to the car as the old rack but does fit with the exception of the bottom strap clip. There are a couple of workarounds that I can try.

Still pondering a new bike that I can fit in the trunk though. Even though this is only a cheap Wal-Mart bike, I never liked the idea of leaving it out (or even leaving the rack on the trunk while riding or making another stop). Maybe I'll just go with this option for now but start looking around at other bikes. I'm only riding maybe 2-3 times per month so I'm pondering whether it's worth the investment.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:33 pm

This is BH. We will *always* recommend you buy a bike from local bike store and make sure you spend thousand(s) of dollars on it. We will also tell you that if you buy such a bike you will use it lot more often. We know the best. Trust us. We have all the answers.

Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:04 pm

My retirement job is working as a bike mechanic in a bike shop. I see a lot of bikes. My 2 cents.

A folding bike is fine, but not a great choice for many recreational riders because of the smaller wheel circumference . Better to get a bike with 700 cc wheels and a quick release. You do not need a disk brake.

Trek, Giant, Specialized, Diamondback and Novara (REI) are all mid quality brands at moderate prices. You can get a good used Trek Multitrack for about $250 to $300. (I have a lot of bikes available to me for minimal cost because I can repair them; my ride of choice is a mid 1990's Trek hybrid.)

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm

Peter Foley wrote: A folding bike is fine, but not a great choice for many recreational riders because of the smaller wheel circumference.
I'm not so sure about that, given that many people successfully do long bike tours on folding bikes. Bromptons seem particularly popular in that regard:

http://www.pathlesspedaled.com/2011/09/ ... n-touring/

http://www.bromptontraveler.com/

http://www.shanecycles.com/the-genius-o ... n-touring/

http://clevercycles.com/blog/2010/11/26 ... -brompton/

Moreover, not all folders have smaller wheels! The OP could get any of these, for example:

https://www.montaguebikes.com/

https://www.nycewheels.com/tern-eclipse-x221.html
Stay on target...