Why has anyone not capitalized on this?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Keepcalm

Why has anyone not capitalized on this?

Post by Keepcalm »

Personal Finance is not taught in K-12. What is to stop someone from conceiving a very successful self employment traveling around to school systems for "hasty" personal finance classes for students?

Could this not be a huge potential?
spoco79

Re: Why has anyone not capitalized on this?

Post by spoco79 »

It is taught in K-12, just not required in many states. My wife teaches it.

Here in Mississippi, the state treasurer pushed for legislation to make it required and the lobby that represents pay day lending fought it until it failed in committee.

Oh, and a very popular school-based curriculum exists: https://www.daveramsey.com/school/
jlcnuke

Post by jlcnuke »

Who's paying for it? The school that dropped such classes because they didn't have time/money for them (such classes used to be part of the curriculum but aren't needed to pass the standardized testing these days so aren't as important)?

The parents forcing their kids to attend your workshops after classes are dismissed (once they arrange transportation for the kids etc)?
Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike »

I had it in high school back in the early '80's.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

Iliketoridemybike wrote:I had it in high school back in the early '80's.
Me too in the late 90s, it was called "Personal Finance" but really only taught about balancing a checkbook and making a budget.
stats99

Post by stats99 »

This is a requirement for HS in New Jersey. Taught by certified teacher on staff, usually the Business or Math staff.
PartIrish

Post by PartIrish »

KeepCalm,

Personal Finance education is required in 45 states, and is part of the state standards in all 50 states. There are dozens of resources for teachers online, including the Jumpstart Coalition, the Council for Economic Education, Econedlink, and most of the 12 Federal Reserve Banks have free resources available to K-12 teachers. Many existing resources are excellent; have a look at "Financial Fitness for Life" and "Practical Money Skills" for starters.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Besides all the reasons listed above, if you wanted to teach this subject in K-12 you would have to get an education license and go thought the process to get "hired" in each school you wanted to teach. i.e. interviews, CORI check, etc etc. And they need the funding for it.

If you think public school employment is a path to get rich quick you must not know anybody who works in a public school....
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

spoco79 wrote:It is taught in K-12, just not required in many states.
Personal finance was an elective course at my high school. I took it along with Accounting I and a few other business-related courses. I wanted to take Accounting II in my senior year, but it was cancelled because not enough students signed up for it. :annoyed
celia

Post by celia »

Keepcalm wrote:Personal Finance is not taught in K-12. What is to stop someone from conceiving a very successful self employment traveling around to school systems for "hasty" personal finance classes for students?
There is nothing to stop you. It might also be a very good course.
No, it would have to compete with all the other curriculum demands the states demand these days: health/sex education (appropriate to age), environmental issues, social issues involving equal rights/recognition for various groups, driver's ed (the classroom part, if still taught anywhere), technology classes for beginners. In some places, the biggest problem is just getting the kids to show up for school! Then there are the non-academic demands the teachers must address: breakfast/lunch programs, sick kids, attendance, dress codes, yard duty, parents, special ed referrals, discipline.
venkman

Post by venkman »

Keepcalm wrote:Personal Finance is not taught in K-12. What is to stop someone from conceiving a very successful self employment traveling around to school systems for "hasty" personal finance classes for students?

There's a lot more money to be made by giving "advice" to people who never had any personal finance classes.