Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
Post Reply
Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm

nova1968 wrote: September 30, 2018
Holy cow nova1968 - that's right around the corner! Are you mad-scrambling to get all your ducks in line? or are you one of these tidy on-schedule types who have everything figured out ahead of time and just leisurely coast to the finish line? :happy

Don't know what you have planned for retirement, but here's an idea:

relax and decompress
enjoy the freedom & flexibility of doing things on the spur of the moment
appreciate some of what you've overlooked in the hustle and bustle of a working life
sometimes do nothing at all

8-) 8-)

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:24 pm

WPauley wrote: After over 30 years with same employer, pulling the plug Nov 30th 2018. Please add me to this years graduating class. 55 years young. The countdown in on. Turning in letter end of Aug. Woooooo Hoooooo!!
Welcome to the Bogleheads! Your first post and what a great post it is! Congratulations on pulling the plug - about time :wink:

A good life of work and now a good life of retirement. We'll add you to this Incredible Retirement Class. At 55 years young, why, you're just getting started 8-)

User avatar
Sparky1500
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 2:59 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Sparky1500 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:50 pm

Sparky1500 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:04 pm
Miriam2 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:06 pm
Sparky1500 wrote: Officially retired 8/3/2018! Many thanks Bogleheads!
Congratulations Sparky1500!! \\\/// (happy dance!) So what's on your loooooong retirement To-Do list?

Btw - how's it going with your Sweet Potato Casserole baking? :D You'll have more time to bake more now that you're retired! Why, you could start up a restaurant or a Thanksgiving Dinner service :idea:
Thank you, Miriam! First thing on the list of 'retirement' things to do is 'just breathe.' It has been a long, hard, stressful, exhausting journey this year. And now it's done. Taking some deep breaths before deciding what's next. Thanksgiving this year will definitely include some Sweet Potato Casserole - a recipe shared from a thoughtful Boglehead on this forum. Delicious!
Just re-reading past posts - that was your recipe for Sweet Potato Pudding, am I right Miriam? Very grateful for that contribution! :D
Retired August 3, 2018 and very grateful.

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm

Sparky1500 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:Btw - how's it going with your Sweet Potato Casserole baking? :D You'll have more time to bake more now that you're retired! Why, you could start up a restaurant or a Thanksgiving Dinner service :idea:
Thanksgiving this year will definitely include some Sweet Potato Casserole - a recipe shared from a thoughtful Boglehead on this forum. Delicious! . . . .
Just re-reading past posts - that was your recipe for Sweet Potato Pudding, am I right Miriam? Very grateful for that contribution! :D
Haha! Yes that was me and that's my recipe! Guaranteed to win friends and make you the food-life of the party, in fact, you'll be invited out to Thanksgiving dinner in perpetuity - and asked to please, please bring your Sweet Potato Pudding :mrgreen:

Here is a different version, just as delicious but with a true crackle crisp top :D

CRACKLE TOP SWEET POTATO PUDDING - (serves 15) 2-9x12 baking pans (best not to use deep dish casseroles)

Pudding =
9 med sweet potatoes - peeled & chunked
1/2 stick (4 Tbs or 1/4 cup) butter - cut up
2+1/2 Tbs vanilla
2+1/2 Tbs maple syrup
1+1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 eggs - lightly beaten with fork

Boil the peeled & chunked sweet potatoes in water to cover until soft, about 15-20 min. Drain.
Put in bowl, or return to pot, & mash quite smooth with butter, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon & nutmeg.
-- or use blender & blend as smooth as desired.
Mix beaten eggs into pudding. Salt to taste.
Spread pudding in greased pans, only about 1-11/2 inch thick
Make topping ==>>

Topping =
3 cups light brown sugar
1+1/2 cups pecans - chips or fine chopped
1+1/2 sticks (12 Tbs or 3/4 cup) cold butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Make topping by mixing together light brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon & allspice.
Add cold butter by cutting into pea-size pieces with paring knife & dropping into mixture - do not melt butter.
Salt to taste.
Mix gently so butter does not melt. Make crumbly like streusel.

Spoon topping gently over sweet potato pudding, covering fully.
Thickness of topping is to taste - there is no sugar in the pudding, only the topping.

Bake 350 for 45 min-1 hr, until topping truly "bubbles & crackles" & becomes a crust.

Note - OK to make ahead, refrigerate & cook next day - but do not put topping on until just before cooking.
OK to freeze unbaked without topping, then defrost, add topping & bake.
OK to make topping ahead & keep in refrigerator until needed.

:sharebeer

nova1968
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 12:00 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by nova1968 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:50 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:17 pm
nova1968 wrote: September 30, 2018
Holy cow nova1968 - that's right around the corner! Are you mad-scrambling to get all your ducks in line? or are you one of these tidy on-schedule types who have everything figured out ahead of time and just leisurely coast to the finish line? :happy

Don't know what you have planned for retirement, but here's an idea:

relax and decompress
enjoy the freedom & flexibility of doing things on the spur of the moment
appreciate some of what you've overlooked in the hustle and bustle of a working life
sometimes do nothing at all

8-) 8-)
Go advice
Thanks

User avatar
not_slow_n_steady
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by not_slow_n_steady » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:28 am

Add us to the retirement class of 2018!
Spouse and I transitioned to part-time 2 years ago and retired in June 2018.

not-slow_n_steady

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 pm

not_slow_n_steady wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:28 am
Add us to the retirement class of 2018!
Spouse and I transitioned to part-time 2 years ago and retired in June 2018.

not-slow_n_steady
Congratulations and welcome to this Great Retirement Class! You've been sort of practicing for retirement for two years now, must finally have it down to near perfect - even so, is it still an awesome experience to finally be truly retired?

What is on your Retirement To-Do List? You could take some ideas from SevenBridgesRoad up-thread - he's gonna drink bourbon, brew his own beer and roast his own green coffee beans 8-)

User avatar
busdriver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by busdriver » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:12 am

After 42 years at present job, I'll be joining the class of 2018 on November 21 at age 65. :happy

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:16 pm

busdriver wrote: After 42 years at present job, I'll be joining the class of 2018 on November 21 at age 65. :happy
Yikes!! 42 years at your present job!! Way to go!! :beer

And yes, it's time to be done with all that and begin your new life - and what a great life it will be ahead of you :D

You're on this Highly Acclaimed Retirement Roll Call. Only 3 months to go, why you'll be free by Thanksgiving. And speaking of Thanksgiving, here's my recipe for Sweet Potato Pudding - since you'll be retired, you'll have plenty of time to make this for your family and friends and they'll be SO happy you retired :D

PS :idea: - if you want a slightly different pudding with a true crackle top, see my recipe up-thread.

User avatar
busdriver
Posts: 74
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:57 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by busdriver » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:51 am

Miriam2:

Thanks for the recipe. Not so sure how much happier the family will be when I pull the plug as they've been heckling me to take another one. :annoyed I have countered with the idea that they should find employment to support me. :twisted: So far, it's having the same result. :mrgreen: :beer

User avatar
not_slow_n_steady
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by not_slow_n_steady » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:31 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 pm
not_slow_n_steady wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:28 am
Add us to the retirement class of 2018!
Spouse and I transitioned to part-time 2 years ago and retired in June 2018.

not-slow_n_steady
Congratulations and welcome to this Great Retirement Class! You've been sort of practicing for retirement for two years now, must finally have it down to near perfect - even so, is it still an awesome experience to finally be truly retired?
Thanks! Absolutely awesome! We invited very close friends to lunch and casually announced our retirement and had a great time. They are all younger than us and no issues :-)
Miriam2 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:29 pm
What is on your Retirement To-Do List? You could take some ideas from SevenBridgesRoad up-thread - he's gonna drink bourbon, brew his own beer and roast his own green coffee beans 8-)
Gym visits any time we feel like, long walks, hikes and lots of travel (national and international) since we retired. When home, we cook different stuff, make fruit preserves from summer harvest, grind coffee beans at home for a great coffee (not yet into roasting them), read fiction, mentor high school kids :-), long distance IT help to family etc

Thanks for the SevenBridgesRoad referral.

not-slow_n_steady

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:59 pm
WestUniversity wrote: Completely out of the blue, my BIL got a package from his MegaCorp, and he’s 5 years younger. So jealous, but I intend to stay the course and hope that I can hold up until December...
Don't think of your BIL - what's he gonna do all day, play golf with the guys? You can hold on until December, it's only 5 months away :D
Now it's only 4 months away :D

AlphaLess
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 pm

Congrats!

What's the golden number?
I know some people like to express it as 25x or 32x or something like that, and others like to express it as 4%, 3.7%, or 2.8%.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

TravelforFun
Posts: 1552
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 pm

AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 pm
Congrats!

What's the golden number?
I know some people like to express it as 25x or 32x or something like that, and others like to express it as 4%, 3.7%, or 2.8%.
3% for us and our kids appreciate that.

TravelforFun

AlphaLess
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:38 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by AlphaLess » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:19 pm

TravelforFun wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 pm
AlphaLess wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:59 pm
Congrats!

What's the golden number?
I know some people like to express it as 25x or 32x or something like that, and others like to express it as 4%, 3.7%, or 2.8%.
3% for us and our kids appreciate that.

TravelforFun
<upvote emoticon here>
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

User avatar
WestUniversity
Posts: 146
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:27 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by WestUniversity » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:25 am

Realized yesterday when I checked my countdown calendar app, that 4 weeks from Labor Day Monday I make my retirement announcement at work.

So many long term planning meetings I’ve been in lately my mind wanders. I feel like I’ve checked out already.

I’ve almost completed documenting everything I do. Have one major project to wrap up in the next couple of months, then it’s all downhill. I also realized in the next 12 months I have 5 trips planned... :sharebeer

User avatar
Groundhog
Posts: 207
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Groundhog » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm

I am officially retired! I worked half a day today and celebrated by going out for lunch with my wife at our favorite restaurant. The goodbyes with my coworkers was the toughest part. After we got home I was about to cut the grass (part of my Friday routine) and it started pouring down rain. Oh well, I have plenty of tomorrows to get that done! Thanks to the Boglehead community for making my retirement dream come true!

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:24 pm

Groundhog wrote: I am officially retired! I worked half a day today and celebrated by going out for lunch with my wife at our favorite restaurant. The goodbyes with my coworkers was the toughest part. After we got home I was about to cut the grass (part of my Friday routine) and it started pouring down rain. Oh well, I have plenty of tomorrows to get that done! Thanks to the Boglehead community for making my retirement dream come true!
Welcome Groundhog to the best part of the rest of your life! And thank you for this wonderful report of your last day in the office. Ooohh yes, those tearful goodbyes to co-workers are tough (wiping tears), but you're grateful and happy you had those years with nice co-workers and now you can look forward to the new experiences in retirement.

Other than mowing your lawn, any other retirement plans? And before this gets out of control - be careful about lawn mowing. Now that you're retired and have all this extra time, you might just develop "lawn care obsession" (I believe it's in the new DSM-5 :shock: )

Can you identify with this man's obsession with lawn care? 8-)

https://www.wsj.com/video/one-man-obses ... 7CAF6.html
Last edited by Miriam2 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Rolling out the Roll Call for this Retirement Class of 2018 :happy

We have 33 happy graduates and many who are waiting for THE DAY.

So far, our class retirees range from "in late 30's" to age 70 8-)

:!: Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS!!
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
18 May - remomnyc
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE
01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30s)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG
__ Jun - not_slow_n_steady <<== Welcome to the Class!
13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview
03 Aug - Sparky1500 <<== Welcome to the Class!
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)

:D Graduating soon - in delirious retirement anticipation :D
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
30 Sep - nova1968 <<== Welcome to the Class!
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - kjsammy
01 Oct - retirementbound
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
21 Nov - busdriver (65) <<== Welcome to the Class!
30 Nov - MnD
30 Nov - WPauley (55) <<== Welcome to the Class!
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
22 Dec - bayview (64)
28 Dec - WestUniversity
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - galawdawg
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog <<== Welcome to the Class!
__ Dec - Metalworking

__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please post if you would like to be added to this Very Special Roll Call 8-)

User avatar
jazman12
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:38 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by jazman12 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 am

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm
Rolling out the Roll Call for this Retirement Class of 2018 :happy

We have 33 happy graduates and many who are waiting for THE DAY.

So far, our class retirees range from "in late 30's" to age 70 8-)

:!: Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS!!
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
18 May - remomnyc
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE
01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30s)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG
__ Jun - not_slow_n_steady <<== Welcome to the Class!
13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview
03 Aug - Sparky1500 <<== Welcome to the Class!
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)

:D Graduating soon - in delirious retirement anticipation :D
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
30 Sep - nova1968 <<== Welcome to the Class!
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - kjsammy
01 Oct - retirementbound
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
21 Nov - busdriver (65) <<== Welcome to the Class!
30 Nov - MnD
30 Nov - WPauley (55) <<== Welcome to the Class!
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
22 Dec - bayview (64)
28 Dec - WestUniversity
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - galawdawg
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog <<== Welcome to the Class!
31 Dec jazman12
__ Dec - Metalworking

__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please post if you would like to be added to this Very Special Roll Call 8-)
Act soon... time is running out

flyingaway
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by flyingaway » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am

jazman12 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 am
Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm
Rolling out the Roll Call for this Retirement Class of 2018 :happy

We have 33 happy graduates and many who are waiting for THE DAY.

So far, our class retirees range from "in late 30's" to age 70 8-)

:!: Already Graduated - CONGRATULATIONS!!
01 Jan - BigOldBear
02 Jan - Billionaire
12 Jan - RubyTuesday (51)
31 Jan - Earl Lemongrab
__ Jan - Emilyjane (61)
09 Feb - marcopolo (51)
28 Feb - Cash is King (57)
03 Mar - Seqfish (62)
03 Mar - Dottie57
03 Mar - Jazzysoon
29 Mar - rkhusky
31 Mar - MichDad (62)
02 Apr - Larry2623
13 Apr - telemark
18 May - remomnyc
25 May - Barefoot
31 May - NCPE
01 Jun - Greywolf
01 Jun - noobogle (late 30s)
15 Jun - MulesFan
25 Jun - TheQuietMan
29 Jun - Roadmaster
29 Jun - snathanb
30 Jun - incowtown (55)
30 Jun - nguy44 (60)
__ Jun - Longdog (53)
__ Jun - KenG
__ Jun - not_slow_n_steady <<== Welcome to the Class!
13 Jul - amp (47)
__ Jul - Golfview
03 Aug - Sparky1500 <<== Welcome to the Class!
31 Aug - Groundhog (56)
__ Aug - federal dinosaur (62)

:D Graduating soon - in delirious retirement anticipation :D
21 Sep - FireHorse (52)
28 Sep - Stinky (65)
28 Sep - SevenBridgesRoad (61)
30 Sep - nova1968 <<== Welcome to the Class!
__ Sep - dennisswal (65)
__ Sep - kjsammy
01 Oct - retirementbound
01 Nov - Ikigai (56)
21 Nov - busdriver (65) <<== Welcome to the Class!
30 Nov - MnD
30 Nov - WPauley (55) <<== Welcome to the Class!
21 Dec - blgaarder (69)
22 Dec - bayview (64)
28 Dec - WestUniversity
28 Dec - NoMad18 (56)
31 Dec - Derby (59)
31 Dec - trirod (51)
31 Dec - galawdawg
31 Dec - 45591 (57)
31 Dec - Rudedog <<== Welcome to the Class!
31 Dec jazman12
__ Dec - Metalworking

__ ___ TinyTim (70)
__ ___ bayview
__ ___ Big Dog
__ ___ J295 (58)

On Retirement Permahold 8-)
TheTimeLord (class of 2014/2015/2016/2017/2018 . . to infinity and beyond! . . )

Please post if you would like to be added to this Very Special Roll Call 8-)
I am interested in knowing how many of you retired (retiring) by 55 and never plan to make a penny active income again.
(55 is my earliest possible retirement age. Once I retire, I would not be able to come back to a similar job making similar money, so I do not plan to come back to the work place again. This question is not about retirement policing).

MandyT
Posts: 203
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:29 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by MandyT » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:52 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am
I am interested in knowing how many of you retired (retiring) by 55 and never plan to make a penny active income again.
(55 is my earliest possible retirement age. Once I retire, I would not be able to come back to a similar job making similar money, so I do not plan to come back to the work place again. This question is not about retirement policing).
I was in the Retirement Class of 2017, but otherwise can answer "I did" to your query.

User avatar
amp
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 9:40 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by amp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am
I am interested in knowing how many of you retired (retiring) by 55 and never plan to make a penny active income again.
(55 is my earliest possible retirement age. Once I retire, I would not be able to come back to a similar job making similar money, so I do not plan to come back to the work place again. This question is not about retirement policing).
I'm 47 and I retired in July. I have no plans to ever earn a wage again. Now, I suppose I could get bored and change my mind at some point, but for now at least I don't think I will ever work again.

flyingaway
Posts: 1921
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by flyingaway » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:57 am

amp wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 pm
flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am
I am interested in knowing how many of you retired (retiring) by 55 and never plan to make a penny active income again.
(55 is my earliest possible retirement age. Once I retire, I would not be able to come back to a similar job making similar money, so I do not plan to come back to the work place again. This question is not about retirement policing).
I'm 47 and I retired in July. I have no plans to ever earn a wage again. Now, I suppose I could get bored and change my mind at some point, but for now at least I don't think I will ever work again.
That is certainly reasonable.

Blanket Fort
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:27 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Blanket Fort » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:52 am

New here. Class of 2018--December 21st. Age 51 after 23+ years at MegaUniversity. At this moment, I don't plan to work. If I found a PT nursery job that worked around my travel and other hobbies, I'd be interested in working for a few bucks, the employee discount and the gardening education. Hopefully since it's not blog income, it would only be a misdemeanor and fine from the retirement police and not affect my pension check.

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:57 pm

jazman12 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:28 am
Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:20 pm
Rolling out the Roll Call for this Retirement Class of 2018 :happy
. . . . . .
31 Dec jazman12
jazman12 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:25 am
Miriam2 wrote:Lining up for the 2019 Roll Call Bell :D
December 31st 2018... officially out of the game!
Jazman12 is SOOO eager to retire that he posted in the Retirement Class of 2018 AND 2019! :D :D

Now this brings up a Roll Call Conundrum - what is our retirement date :confused

Is it the date of our last day of work, or the next day when we are free from work :?:

The Retirement Roll Call uses the protocols set forth by Lady Victoria, our founding mother 8-)

Lady Victoria never addressed this conundrum before she set out on her wild retirement adventures, so we will have to extrapolate from her other pronouncements.

On the Q of whether one is retired or not, she decreed that the Roll Call is self-reporting - that is if you feel that you have punched out and are retired - then by golly, you are retired :D even though you may be engaged in other activities or hobbies or working part-time, pay or no pay.

So, whatever retirement date you self-report - THAT'S the great date we cheer on this Roll Call :sharebeer

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:04 pm

jazman12 wrote: 31 Dec jazman12
We'll put you on the 2018 Roll Call jazman12, so you can tell your HR Department GOODBYE and GOOD RIDDANCE on Dec 31 before you head out into the big wide world and into a fabulous Retirement and New Year's Eve Party :D What a night that will be!

Image

Dottie57
Posts: 4773
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:00 pm

Groundhog wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:43 pm
I am officially retired! I worked half a day today and celebrated by going out for lunch with my wife at our favorite restaurant. The goodbyes with my coworkers was the toughest part. After we got home I was about to cut the grass (part of my Friday routine) and it started pouring down rain. Oh well, I have plenty of tomorrows to get that done! Thanks to the Boglehead community for making my retirement dream come true!
Friday was Groundhog Day! Congratulations!

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Blanket Fort wrote: New here. Class of 2018--December 21st. Age 51 after 23+ years at MegaUniversity. At this moment, I don't plan to work. If I found a PT nursery job that worked around my travel and other hobbies, I'd be interested in working for a few bucks, the employee discount and the gardening education. Hopefully since it's not blog income, it would only be a misdemeanor and fine from the retirement police and not affect my pension check.
Welcome to the Bogleheads! and welcome to this Awesome Retirement Class! I guess you'll give your last final exam, then punch out and relax 8-)

Nice retirement plans 8-) - no, wait. Didn't you see the cautionary warning up-thread about Lawn Care Obsession? Gardening is close enough to lawn care, so we just want to make sure you are aware of this :wink:

https://www.wsj.com/video/one-man-obses ... 7CAF6.html

InMyDreams
Posts: 413
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:35 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 pm
I've been toying with 2018 vs first qtr 2019.

I think 2018 is winning...
Still working out the details, but aiming to go extremely part-time mid-January.

remomnyc
Posts: 597
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:27 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by remomnyc » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:02 pm

flyingaway wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:36 am
I am interested in knowing how many of you retired (retiring) by 55 and never plan to make a penny active income again.
(55 is my earliest possible retirement age. Once I retire, I would not be able to come back to a similar job making similar money, so I do not plan to come back to the work place again. This question is not about retirement policing).
I retired at 52. I worked longer than I wanted at a job I came to despise because I knew that once I quit, it would be very difficult to command a similar salary for comparable hours. In an ideal world, I would work part-time at a company that is adding value to the world. Those positions are few and far between, so I will likely never work for money again. Since I retired, I have been volunteering for causes that are dear to me. I like being commander of my time.

Griffkat
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:26 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Griffkat » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:47 pm

You can add me to the class of 2018. After 30 years with a mega telecom company, I took a voluntary offer that allowed me to retire on 9/14. My goal has always been to work no more than 30 years at this company. So when the offer was made, I decided I could retire and the severance made it a little easier to take the leap.

I am 56 and husband is 67. It’s a little scary to move from the accumulation phase to the drawdown phase. I have calculated my SWR with and without luxuries and believe we will be fine. I have my own calculations, used Fidelity’s calculator and met with a planner for another opinion.

Thank you to this great community for all of the information and guidance. I am amazed how many people assume I must have some special source of money that allowed me to retire early. They don’t seem to want to hear - live below your means, save and invest, learn the difference between “wants” and “needs”....

Looking forward to the future without the 9-5 job and all that goes with it!

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Griffkat wrote: You can add me to the class of 2018. After 30 years with a mega telecom company, I took a voluntary offer that allowed me to retire on 9/14. My goal has always been to work no more than 30 years at this company. So when the offer was made, I decided I could retire and the severance made it a little easier to take the leap.
Griffkat - Welcome to this Awesome Retirement Roll Call and Welcome to the Bogleheads! Your first post :D and what a nice retirement story :beer
Griffkat wrote:I am 56 and husband is 67. It’s a little scary to move from the accumulation phase to the drawdown phase. I have calculated my SWR with and without luxuries and believe we will be fine. I have my own calculations, used Fidelity’s calculator and met with a planner for another opinion.
Sounds like you've made good financial plans, can retire without great anxiety, and can enjoy the next phase of your life :happy
Griffkat wrote:Thank you to this great community for all of the information and guidance. I am amazed how many people assume I must have some special source of money that allowed me to retire early. They don’t seem to want to hear - live below your means, save and invest, learn the difference between “wants” and “needs”....
Isn't that the truth! But actually, you do have a "special source of money" - your well-planned fruits of your labor.
Looking forward to the future without the 9-5 job and all that goes with it!
Please share your retirement plans - going to start decluttering that garage :?:

User avatar
wwhan
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:08 am
Location: CA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by wwhan » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Retired at age 64.

Now, everyday is Saturday.

I used to look forward to the weekend, now I look forward to the weekday when everything is open and less crowded.

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:12 pm

wwhan wrote: Retired at age 64.
Now, everyday is Saturday.
I used to look forward to the weekend, now I look forward to the weekday when everything is open and less crowded.
wwhan! Congratulations and best wishes on your retirement and going from TGIF to TGIM!

Also you knocked out fellow classmate Trirod from first place as our Most Senior Boglehead in this 2018 Roll Call, since you joined the Bogleheads forum on March 4, 2007, barely two weeks after it was born on Feb. 19, 2007 - your retirement portfolio must be TRULY AWESOME :beer Trirod joined on July 18, 2007 - still an impressive senior Boglehead with an awesome portfolio :D

wwhan - let us know your R-date and we'll add you to the list.

User avatar
wwhan
Posts: 102
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:08 am
Location: CA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by wwhan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Put my R-date as January 15, 2018, since that is my first day of not working at a job.

My Social Security statement says my first SS tax year (1970), I only made $42.00.

I am not taking SS until I hit the limit at 70 years of age, at which time my income will jump up a lot with the SS + 401K +IRA distributions.

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:11 pm

wwhan wrote: Put my R-date as January 15, 2018, since that is my first day of not working at a job.
Will do, we'll include you on re-boot.
My Social Security statement says my first SS tax year (1970), I only made $42.00.
Better check them, you know they make mistakes 8-)
I am not taking SS until I hit the limit at 70 years of age, at which time my income will jump up a lot with the SS + 401K +IRA distributions.
Sigh, this can be a problem, we're richer older than when we're young :mrgreen:

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1153
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Nicolas » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:10 pm

wwhan wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 pm
Retired at age 64.

Now, everyday is Saturday.

I used to look forward to the weekend, now I look forward to the weekday when everything is open and less crowded.
Me too, I now dislike weekends and love Mondays.
If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. — Katharine Hepburn

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:40 am

I'm retiring as of Dec 1!
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

The Wizard
Posts: 12432
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by The Wizard » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:56 am

Nicolas wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:10 pm
wwhan wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:57 pm
Retired at age 64.

Now, everyday is Saturday.

I used to look forward to the weekend, now I look forward to the weekday when everything is open and less crowded.
Me too, I now dislike weekends and love Mondays.
Right.
Monday and Tuesday are great grocery store days.
I had to buy food late morning last Sunday and the place was mobbed, almost out of shopping carts.

So yes, finding the non-rush hours for various things is an amusing part of retirement...
Attempted new signature...

2pedals
Posts: 645
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:31 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by 2pedals » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Miriam2, already knows that I am part of this class rather than the class of 2019 when I requested to be rolled forward into the class of 2018 on in Nov 1 at age 59. I am spinning the pedals faster now for the finish line. I just finalized my retirement papers. I posted here so I can track the retirement activities this wonderful retirement class of 2018.

User avatar
Stinky
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Location: Sweet Home Alabama

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Stinky » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:31 pm

Today was my last day in the office. Finished up and strolled out at 1030am. 40 years with the same company, age 65 next month, and time to move to a new chapter in my life. Guess I’ll be signing up for Medicare next week.

I’m blessed to have all 3 children and 5 grandchildren living within 15 minutes of my home. Life is good.

Now, every day I can say “It’s a great day to be alive!” It truly is.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

FireHorse
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by FireHorse » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:16 pm
Sparky1500 wrote:
Miriam2 wrote:Btw - how's it going with your Sweet Potato Casserole baking? :D You'll have more time to bake more now that you're retired! Why, you could start up a restaurant or a Thanksgiving Dinner service :idea:
Thanksgiving this year will definitely include some Sweet Potato Casserole - a recipe shared from a thoughtful Boglehead on this forum. Delicious! . . . .
Just re-reading past posts - that was your recipe for Sweet Potato Pudding, am I right Miriam? Very grateful for that contribution! :D
Haha! Yes that was me and that's my recipe! Guaranteed to win friends and make you the food-life of the party, in fact, you'll be invited out to Thanksgiving dinner in perpetuity - and asked to please, please bring your Sweet Potato Pudding :mrgreen:

Here is a different version, just as delicious but with a true crackle crisp top :D

CRACKLE TOP SWEET POTATO PUDDING - (serves 15) 2-9x12 baking pans (best not to use deep dish casseroles)

Pudding =
9 med sweet potatoes - peeled & chunked
1/2 stick (4 Tbs or 1/4 cup) butter - cut up
2+1/2 Tbs vanilla
2+1/2 Tbs maple syrup
1+1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 eggs - lightly beaten with fork

Boil the peeled & chunked sweet potatoes in water to cover until soft, about 15-20 min. Drain.
Put in bowl, or return to pot, & mash quite smooth with butter, vanilla, maple syrup, cinnamon & nutmeg.
-- or use blender & blend as smooth as desired.
Mix beaten eggs into pudding. Salt to taste.
Spread pudding in greased pans, only about 1-11/2 inch thick
Make topping ==>>

Topping =
3 cups light brown sugar
1+1/2 cups pecans - chips or fine chopped
1+1/2 sticks (12 Tbs or 3/4 cup) cold butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Make topping by mixing together light brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon & allspice.
Add cold butter by cutting into pea-size pieces with paring knife & dropping into mixture - do not melt butter.
Salt to taste.
Mix gently so butter does not melt. Make crumbly like streusel.

Spoon topping gently over sweet potato pudding, covering fully.
Thickness of topping is to taste - there is no sugar in the pudding, only the topping.

Bake 350 for 45 min-1 hr, until topping truly "bubbles & crackles" & becomes a crust.

Note - OK to make ahead, refrigerate & cook next day - but do not put topping on until just before cooking.
OK to freeze unbaked without topping, then defrost, add topping & bake.
OK to make topping ahead & keep in refrigerator until needed.

:sharebeer

Hi Miriam2,
Is the pudding a desert or side dish?

User avatar
galawdawg
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Location: Georgia

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by galawdawg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:24 pm

Thanks to a significant amount of accumulated leave and careful planning, today was my last day in the office! i have officially joined the ranks of the retired a few months earlier than anticipated. Mrs. Galawdawg and I look forward to meeting folks next Wednesday at our first Bogleheads conference. Can't think of a better way to celebrate and kick-off this new season in our lives! :D

TravelGeek
Posts: 2450
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Please add me. Done as of yesterday. :beer

My eternal thanks go to Jack Bogle and whoever first told me about Vanguard, index funds and Bogleheads concepts (long before I found this site). And my parents for putting me on the right track many years ago and my wife for supporting me on this journey.

Next stop: My first Bogleheads conference, next week. Galawdawg - see you there! :sharebeer

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:34 pm

FireHorse wrote:
Miriam2 wrote: Here is a different version, just as delicious but with a true crackle crisp top :D
CRACKLE TOP SWEET POTATO PUDDING - . . .
Hi Miriam2,
Is the pudding a desert or side dish?
Oohh it's everything! Mainly as a side dish to go along with the turkey. However, once your family and friends eat it, they'll be asking for you to make it for all kinds of dinners and buffets. My family eats the left-overs for breakfast and midnight snacks 8-)

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:24 pm

BarbBrooklyn wrote: I'm retiring as of Dec 1!
Good idea! There comes a point where enough is enough . . .
One day you turn around and it's summer
Next day you turn around and it's fall
And the springs and the winters of a lifetime
Whatever happened to them all?

As a man who has always had the wand'ring ways
Now I'm reaching back for yesterdays
'Til a long-forgotten love appears
And I find that I'm sighing softly as I near
September, the warm September of my years.

--Bob Dylan, "September of my Years"
Welcome to this Wonderful Retirement Class! Best wishes for a long happy retirement :happy

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:48 pm

2pedals wrote: Miriam2, already knows that I am part of this class rather than the class of 2019 when I requested to be rolled forward into the class of 2018 on in Nov 1 at age 59. I am spinning the pedals faster now for the finish line. I just finalized my retirement papers. I posted here so I can track the retirement activities this wonderful retirement class of 2018.
Yes, you're on this list and if only we had neon emogees, we'd put you in multi-color blinking neon lights :D
It's only 1 month away! You can probably coast down to the finish line from here 8-)

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Stinky wrote: Today was my last day in the office. Finished up and strolled out at 1030am. 40 years with the same company, age 65 next month, and time to move to a new chapter in my life. Guess I’ll be signing up for Medicare next week.
Congratulations Stinky! 40 years with the same company! What a nice ending to a life of good work. But yes, time to move on to the next chapter of your life. What a great chapter it will be and we wish you the best retirement ever :D
Stinky wrote:I’m blessed to have all 3 children and 5 grandchildren living within 15 minutes of my home. Life is good.
It doesn't get any better than this :happy Of course, with all those grandchildren living right down the road, you know what your next "job" will be, haha!
Stinky wrote:Now, every day I can say “It’s a great day to be alive!” It truly is.
:D

Miriam2
Posts: 2345
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2018!

Post by Miriam2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:02 pm

galawdawg wrote: Thanks to a significant amount of accumulated leave and careful planning, today was my last day in the office! i have officially joined the ranks of the retired a few months earlier than anticipated. Mrs. Galawdawg and I look forward to meeting folks next Wednesday at our first Bogleheads conference. Can't think of a better way to celebrate and kick-off this new season in our lives! :D
OK galawdawg, we'll move you up the list with a Sept. 28 retirement date - congratulations on PUNCHING OUT :D

I said it before but you're a lucky dawg to be attending the Bogleheads Conference! :D And remember I warned you, you want to retire but be careful or those conference Bogleheads will put you to back to work :mrgreen:

Post Reply