Pennsylvania Vehicle Registration Renewal - 2 year option

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mortfree

Pennsylvania Vehicle Registration Renewal - 2 year option

Post by mortfree »

I need to renew my vehicle registration so if anyone is a PA resident, please let me know your thoughts.

For those not familiar, Pennsylvania is changing their practice and now I have an option to do the following:

1. 1-year renewal: $37 + $5 county fee = $42

2. 2-year renewal: $74 + $5 county fee = $79 (savings of $5 if I were to go with the 1-year renewal for consecutive years).

Has anyone determined the pros/cons to doing a 2-year renewal?

For instance, I may be replacing this vehicle in the next 2 years - would that matter?

Our household has 3 vehicles so the 2-year seems appealing to save $15 across the vehicles.

Crunch the numbers and % :mrgreen:

Edit: $5 county fee; not processing
Last edited by mortfree on Tue May 30, 2017 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benton Bair

Re: Pennsylvania Vehicle Registration Renewal - 2 year option

Post by Benton Bair »

I paid online for 2 year registration and did not pay a $5.00 processing fee.
Topic Author
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Benton Bair wrote:I paid online for 2 year registration and did not pay a $5.00 processing fee.
Ahh yes. I was going off of memory. I just pulled the bill and it is a $5 county fee.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

There's only one thing sadder than taking the time to post, asking Bogelheads if the $2.50/yr savings is worth the 2-year option.

That's the time I wasted reading the thread and posting this comment :D
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Where are you renewing at that you have to pay a $5 processing fee? I send in the check directly to Penndot when I get the renewal in the mail and don't have to pay a processing fee. All you save with the 2 year renewal vs. 1 year is possibly a check, a stamp, and a few minutes of your time. I'm guessing that if you sell the car before the end of 2 years and do not transfer the plate to a new car, you forfeit any portion of the registration period paid in advance, just like with the 1 year option.
Good Listener

Post by Good Listener »

neilpilot wrote:There's only one thing sadder than taking the time to post, asking Bogelheads if the $2.50/yr savings is worth the 2-year option.

Indeed. The cost of my coffee today.
Topic Author
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Thanks Tim. It is good to see that I was thinking along similar lines of there being a chance of forfeiting the registration fee for that second year depending on if I get rid of that vehicle. .

The $5 is charged by the county I live in. Not processing fee (typo in my first post).

So I could be out $37 or even double that with my next car purchase.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

mortfree wrote:Thanks Tim. It is good to see that I was thinking along similar lines of there being a chance of forfeiting the registration fee for that second year depending on if I get rid of that vehicle. .

The $5 is charged by the county I live in. Not processing fee (typo in my first post).

So I could be out $37 or even double that with my next car purchase.
NOTE: Whether you pay the $5 county fee or not depends on what county you live in. The county has to decide to impose the fee on its citizens before it gets collected. Our county has all kinds of financial problems but does impose the fee. My guess is they are just too inept.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

My renewal paperwork arrived in the mail just the other day. I'll be doing 2 years. It's 1 less thing to remember to do next year.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

mortfree wrote:I need to renew my vehicle registration so if anyone is a PA resident, please let me know your thoughts.

Has anyone determined the pros/cons to doing a 2-year renewal?

For instance, I may be replacing this vehicle in the next 2 years - would that matter?
Not sure if PA is similar, but NY only has 2 year renewals. If you buy a new vehicle in that time, assumption being you transfer the plates, the registration transfers to the new vehicle too at no additional cost with the same expiration. Also if you surrender the plates within those 2 years, the state will mail you a check for the prorated portion of the term that is unused (happened recently when I turned in my deceased father's plates).

EDIT: I would do the 2 year option simply to avoid the annual hassle, and the $15 savings just a nice side benefit.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Good Listener wrote:
neilpilot wrote:There's only one thing sadder than taking the time to post, asking Bogelheads if the $2.50/yr savings is worth the 2-year option.

Indeed. The cost of my coffee today.
Look at the bright side - now you no longer have the time to go to Starbucks ;-)
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Doing the 2 year option is cheap insurance. Insurance for what? Insurance for when the state decides that instead of $37 a year, they're going to up the cost to $104 a year because the Graft and Corruption fund is getting too low.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
FCM

Post by FCM »

I live in the state (actually the "Commonwealth") of Virginia. We use the 2 year option and consequently only need to go through the vehicle emissions test every two years instead of annually. That alone makes it worthwhile.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

NHRATA01 wrote:
Not sure if PA is similar, but NY only has 2 year renewals. If you buy a new vehicle in that time, assumption being you transfer the plates, the registration transfers to the new vehicle too at no additional cost with the same expiration. Also if you surrender the plates within those 2 years, the state will mail you a check for the prorated portion of the term that is unused (happened recently when I turned in my deceased father's plates).

EDIT: I would do the 2 year option simply to avoid the annual hassle, and the $15 savings just a nice side benefit.
Exactly. Mass does the same - 2 year renewals and plate transfer. i agree the only thing you are really gaining is a time savings, the $5 is inconsequential in the grand scheme.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I also just did the 2 year PA renewal. I used to be a "car guy" and changed cars frequently. They always transferred the plate, with the prior remaining registration continuing onto the new car (same plate). I can't see why that would be different with a 2 year registration. That being said, if there's a chance that you'll get rid of a car and not replace it during the 2 years, then it's worth the $5 "penalty" for the option to save $34. I can't imagine they'll refund your $34 if you get rid of the car before the second year starts.

Better than the 2 year deal is the very 2003ish change to let you print your own registration slip (called "owner's card" when I was growing up). And no more sticker in the goofy BACK-REVERSE corner of the envelope that many of us accidentally threw out. They used the exact same sticker from 1959 thru last year. Anyway, PA is finally allowing technology to improve our quality of life and reduce interaction with the DOT.

A final thought...why are we still using metal license plates? Shouldn't there be an Ipad type thing, from the factory or as an aftermarket item, that communicates with the state? And when you buy a new car, the "plate number" gets transmitted from the state? I haven't fully thought this out, but there HAS to be a more 2017 way than metal license plates.
Last edited by Leesbro63 on Wed May 31, 2017 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

Leesbro63 wrote: Anyway, PA is finally allowing technology to improve our quality of life and reduce interaction with the DOT.
To tell the truth, I've never had a problem with PennDOT (or, as I tell my students, "the change of Penn with respect to time"). Getting a new driver's license, renewing a plate, etc., has always been easy. I've never understood the comedians' cliche of "DMV hell."
Leesbro63 wrote: A final thought...why are we still using metal license plates? Shouldn't there be an Ipad type thing, from the factory or as an aftermarket item, that communicates with the state? And when you buy a new car, the "plate number" gets transmitted from the state? I haven't fully thought this out, but there HAS to be a more 2017 way than metal license plates.
There probably is, but metal plates are durable, don't need a power source, are usually easy to read (except for these PA plates), and don't have trouble with rain, as an electronic device is liable to do.
Last edited by obafgkm on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

obafgkm wrote: To tell the truth, I've never had a problem with PennDOT (or, as I tell my students, "the change of Penn with respect to time"). Getting a new driver's license, renewing a plate, etc., has always been easy. I've never understood the comedians' cliche of "DMV hell."
I devised an equation for the MassDOT registration wait time. You see, when you come into the building, you get a ticket based on what you need to do. It shows an estimated wait time. I've changed, sold, bought enough vehicles to generate data to form a relatively accurate equation of "real" time vs "Registry of Motor Vehicle" time. First, take the time on the ticket. Add 15 minutes to whatever that time is. Multiply the resultant by 3. That's the "real" wait time.

For example, the ticket wait time is 5 minutes. Add 15 to make 20. Multiply by 3 to make 1 hour. That is the actual time you'll be waiting.

So perhaps we go by MassD2OT. The acceleration of Mass, as in the change of DOT with respect to time. (non engineers are now rolling their eyes)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

obafgkm wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote: A final thought...why are we still using metal license plates? Shouldn't there be an Ipad type thing, from the factory or as an aftermarket item, that communicates with the state? And when you buy a new car, the "plate number" gets transmitted from the state? I haven't fully thought this out, but there HAS to be a more 2017 way than metal license plates.
There probably is, but metal plates are durable, don't need a power source, are usually easy to read (except for these PA plates), and don't have trouble with rain, as an electronic device is liable to do.
I hear ya (chucking! :happy ). That being said, using your logic, we should all still be using wired in Ma Bell telephones at $1/month for 40 years in the same residence. They never died or needed repair.

The way to identify vehicles needs to come of age. An Ipad sort of display with a transmitter, say to any smartphone or law enforcement receiver. All from the factory on new vehicles and as a retrofit for current vehicles. I get it that this is sort of "Big Brother", but we're there already with law enforcement cameras that "read" plates, etc. This would just bring the existing hybrid (old/new) high tech process into a more seamless model.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I sprung for the 2-year deal.

BTW, they also got rid of the plate registration stickers. I was wondering how many of those my license plate holder could take before the frame bent out of shape.

See: Registration Stickers which explains how registrations are tracked.
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm
obafgkm wrote: To tell the truth, I've never had a problem with PennDOT (or, as I tell my students, "the change of Penn with respect to time"). Getting a new driver's license, renewing a plate, etc., has always been easy. I've never understood the comedians' cliche of "DMV hell."
I devised an equation for the MassDOT registration wait time. You see, when you come into the building, you get a ticket based on what you need to do. It shows an estimated wait time. I've changed, sold, bought enough vehicles to generate data to form a relatively accurate equation of "real" time vs "Registry of Motor Vehicle" time. First, take the time on the ticket. Add 15 minutes to whatever that time is. Multiply the resultant by 3. That's the "real" wait time.

For example, the ticket wait time is 5 minutes. Add 15 to make 20. Multiply by 3 to make 1 hour. That is the actual time you'll be waiting.

So perhaps we go by MassD2OT. The acceleration of Mass, as in the change of DOT with respect to time. (non engineers are now rolling their eyes)
^^^ :shock: :D to both.

Does anyone have a formula for finding the Delaware office (DelDOT)? A directional approach might be needed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:40 pm
Non-engineer here. Not rolling eyes, just squinting. Why is there an 'O' in the differential? Is this an engineering thing, an advanced topic, or just a little literary license?

I went with the two years. Saves a little time.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
pondering

Post by pondering »

I put the calendar item for about 20 months from now for the two year renewal I did earlier this year.

Getting the stickers off has been challenging.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
Topic Author
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

pondering wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:43 pm I put the calendar item for about 20 months from now for the two year renewal I did earlier this year.

Edit: remove the license plate THEN
Use a hair dryer. Peels right off
Last edited by mortfree on Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ Be careful, as the license plate is usually mounted on a soft-plastic bumper cover. Too much heat will soften the surrounding plastic.

Using a heat gun (or hair dryer) is a common technique for repairing small bumper cracks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

I paid the one year $37 license renewal fee (I can't recall having a 2 year option :? ). Anyway, there wasn’t an incentive to pay for 2 years because my county is not one of the 19 PA counties that charge a $5 fee.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

FCM wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:13 am I live in the state (actually the "Commonwealth") of Virginia. We use the 2 year option and consequently only need to go through the vehicle emissions test every two years instead of annually. That alone makes it worthwhile.
This does not apply in PA to my knowledge. The inspection sticker is separate and different from the registration sticker (and a separate cost). While the registration may be purchased in 1 or 2 year increments, the annual inspection is just that...annual. So there's not one emissions sticker in PA that covers 2 years in PA. VA sure, PA, nope.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
intsoccersuperstar

Post by intsoccersuperstar »

So...wait. The county actually waives the $5 fee for the second year for no reason other than you gave PennDot $37 a year early? I find that hard to believe. People who are choosing the 2-year option, are you sure you're actually going to be in the clear for that second year? If you get pulled over 18 months from now, are you sure your registration is going to be valid and not showing as expired since you did not pay the local use fee for that 2nd year?

Seems like just the kind of thing communication (or lack thereof) between the county and state governments would cause...
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

intsoccersuperstar wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:34 pm So...wait. The county actually waives the $5 fee for the second year for no reason other than you gave PennDot $37 a year early? I find that hard to believe. People who are choosing the 2-year option, are you sure you're actually going to be in the clear for that second year? If you get pulled over 18 months from now, are you sure your registration is going to be valid and not showing as expired since you did not pay the local use fee for that 2nd year?

Seems like just the kind of thing communication (or lack thereof) between the county and state governments would cause...
You described it correctly.
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

pondering wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:43 pm I put the calendar item for about 20 months from now for the two year renewal I did earlier this year.

There is no requirement, need or advantage to removing the stickers. There is no problem with removing them either.
Topic Author
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

munemaker wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 pm

There is no requirement, need or advantage to removing the stickers. There is no problem with removing them either.
If you drive in another state and the uninformed police offer spots your expired sticker, you might be pulled over and have to explain the sticker.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

neilpilot wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 pm There's only one thing sadder than taking the time to post, asking Bogelheads if the $2.50/yr savings is worth the 2-year option.

LOL

in MD they will refund your 2md year if you turn in tags within a certain time frame.
Ron

Post by Ron »

mortfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 pmIf you drive in another state and the uninformed police offer spots your expired sticker, you might be pulled over and have to explain the sticker.
How are police in other states going to know I have current registration if I don’t have a sticker or my sticker on my license plate is expired?

"PennDOT has notified other jurisdictions of the elimination of registration stickers. In addition, law enforcement in the U.S and Canada has electronic access to PennDOT’s database, which would indicate the registration status of a vehicle."

That's the information from the PA site.

In addition, at the time of applying for a renewal registration, part of the process is to print a new certificate which is kept with the car/vehicle.

- Ron
Last edited by Ron on Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

We are in Virginia and have the same 1 or 2 year renewal choice. We always choose the 2 year.
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

If only they switched to inspections every 2 years (or never). A lot of data/studies on states without frequent inspection requirements, and there's very little value to requiring inspections (especially annual inspections).
dm200

Post by dm200 »

ArmchairArchitect wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:05 pm If only they switched to inspections every 2 years (or never). A lot of data/studies on states without frequent inspection requirements, and there's very little value to requiring inspections (especially annual inspections).
Virginia requires annual safety inspections and emissions every 2 years. Many decades ago, when I first moved to Virginia - you had to get a safety inspection every six months :(
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

mortfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 pm

If you drive in another state and the uninformed police offer spots your expired sticker, you might be pulled over and have to explain the sticker.
I guess it is possible if they are looking for an excuse to pull you over, but would police in other states really enforce Pennsylvania registration regulations? A lapsed registration would not be breaking the laws of their state, would it?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

munemaker wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:29 pm
mortfree wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:36 pm

I guess it is possible if they are looking for an excuse to pull you over, but would police in other states really enforce Pennsylvania registration regulations? A lapsed registration would not be breaking the laws of their state, would it?
No legal expert - but I suspect doing so would be a violation in that other state as well.
intsoccersuperstar

Post by intsoccersuperstar »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:56 am
intsoccersuperstar wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:34 pm So...wait. The county actually waives the $5 fee for the second year for no reason other than you gave PennDot $37 a year early? I find that hard to believe. People who are choosing the 2-year option, are you sure you're actually going to be in the clear for that second year? If you get pulled over 18 months from now, are you sure your registration is going to be valid and not showing as expired since you did not pay the local use fee for that 2nd year?

You described it correctly.
What, that the county waives the fee for the 2nd year, or that due to miscommunication we may not be in the clear for the 2nd year? :happy
OAG

Post by OAG »

OH has had he option for several years now. No extra fees (just 2 X the registration charges), can be done online, can be deducted from your checking account - one drawbacks is that you have to stick the sticker on the plate they don't come out and do that. :D
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

OAG wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:19 am OH has had he option for several years now. No extra fees (just 2 X the registration charges), can be done online, can be deducted from your checking account - one drawbacks is that you have to stick the sticker on the plate they don't come out and do that. :D
Pennsylvania got rid of the stickers. Law enforcement technology can now read the plates and cross reference with the database to confirm (or deny) that registration is active.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

jharkin wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:41 am
NHRATA01 wrote:

Exactly. Mass does the same - 2 year renewals and plate transfer. i agree the only thing you are really gaining is a time savings, the $5 is inconsequential in the grand scheme.
Co-sign, Virginia does this as well.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

dm200 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:12 pm
ArmchairArchitect wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:05 pm If only they switched to inspections every 2 years (or never). A lot of data/studies on states without frequent inspection requirements, and there's very little value to requiring inspections (especially annual inspections).
Virginia requires annual safety inspections and emissions every 2 years. Many decades ago, when I first moved to Virginia - you had to get a safety inspection every six months :(
Not all Virginia jurisdictions require the emissions test. I think it is only the ones considered "Northern Virginia" (which I found funny when I lived in the northernmost county in Virginia, Frederick, and didn't have to pay it).
pj1983

Post by pj1983 »

donaldfair71 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 am
dm200 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:12 pm Virginia requires annual safety inspections and emissions every 2 years. Many decades ago, when I first moved to Virginia - you had to get a safety inspection every six months :(
Not all Virginia jurisdictions require the emissions test. I think it is only the ones considered "Northern Virginia" (which I found funny when I lived in the northernmost county in Virginia, Frederick, and didn't have to pay it).
Correct. It's only Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford counties (including the incorporated cities/towns included in those areas). I wouldn't have to deal with it if I moved <5 miles south to Fauquier. Just another tax on the privilege of living in this area. :x
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

pj1983 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:35 am
donaldfair71 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:35 am
dm200 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:12 pm Virginia requires annual safety inspections and emissions every 2 years. Many decades ago, when I first moved to Virginia - you had to get a safety inspection every six months :(
Correct. It's only Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford counties (including the incorporated cities/towns included in those areas). I wouldn't have to deal with it if I moved <5 miles south to Fauquier. Just another tax on the privilege of living in this area. :x
I must live awfully close to you! Haymarket here!
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

I just renewed my Pennsylvania vehicle registration. The $5 savings for the county (mine is Dauphin) disappeared (meaning the two-year cost is double the one-year cost). I decided to just go with the one-year registration this time.
brianH

Post by brianH »

Agreed, 100%

Better yet, do what Delaware does and have the (basic) inspection and emission test performed at the DMV itself. As it is currently, there's a huge incentive for the mechanic to find some trivial detail wrong with your vehicle (wiper blades not clearing windshield properly) in order to charge you.

It's basically just a state-mandated handout to mechanics, especially the shady ones.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Florida for me.

I renew with a reward credit card, so I save $2.95 if I renew for two years, as the fee is $2.95 for one year or two year renewals.

As well, the $.75 mailing fee for sticker is the same mail fee for one or two year renewals.
Total extras (credit card fee plus mail fee) = $3.70. I will get rewards of $1.91, net $1.79 to renew via credit card and have sticker mailed.

I could avoid the credit card fee and the mailing fee if I were to go to the physical county tax collector's office. I could also poke an eye out with a sharp stick. Neither activity interests me, not sure which would be worse.

Best $1.79 I can spend.

Our state did away with vehicle inspections years ago. Thankfully when we did have them they were ran by the DMV, and they weren't ripping people off like the areas using independent mechanics who would stand to make money if the vehicle failed. I'm sure there were honest mechanics, but there was that temptation that probably was acted on by the bad mechanics.

Thing is, there are far fewer hoopties on the road around my parts. Very, very seldom do I see a car belching smoke, and honestly I see very few cars with rust, other than the ones that have suffered an accident and bare metal has been exposed.

I'm not sure the general car-buying public really appreciates the quality, and very high reliability the modern cars are capable of providing. That lack of appreciation only helps the less well-heeled car buyers, as they are able to get vehicles with so much life still available.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
fru-gal

Post by fru-gal »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 3:21 pm That being said, using your logic, we should all still be using wired in Ma Bell telephones at $1/month for 40 years in the same residence. They never died or needed repair
Plus they worked during the multiday power failures that are becoming more and more common. "Progress" Boo. And they didn't need charging. And they didn't get misplaced.
strafe

Post by strafe »

FCM wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:13 am I live in the state (actually the "Commonwealth") of Virginia. We use the 2 year option and consequently only need to go through the vehicle emissions test every two years instead of annually. That alone makes it worthwhile.
I don't know if this is still the case, but in Virginia you used to be able to renew for 1 year, then do the subsequent renewal for 2 years, and end up needing the emissions test only every 3 years when the 2yr renewal expired.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Vehicles registration fees decrease every year for my state. Therefore, I'd need much more than a $5 savings to go 2 years.
Topic Author
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

I renewed again for 2 years.

These things only go up in cost in PA