Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
zeppy

Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Post by zeppy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:03 pm

I am looking to replace my corded canister vacuum cleaner with a cordless, stick-type vacuum. My residence has both carpeted and tiled flooring. Very little dirt is tracked into the apartment; however, MUCH cat hair is shed in the apartment. I am looking for thoughts/recommendations for this type of vacuum. In browsing the web, the Dyson V8 Animal and the Dyson V7 and V8 Absolute seem to have good reviews. Has anyone had experience with either of these? Or any others thought to be good?
Thank you.

retiredjg

Re: Cordless Vacuum Cleaners

Post by retiredjg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:22 pm

I recently bought the Dyson V6 HEPA vacuum. It's a mixed bag.

It is very convenient and it works well, but I consider it a step down from a "real" vacuum. On the other hand, I'm not giving it up any time soon because it's just so darned convenient!

If vacuuming for 10 -20 minutes several days a week works for you, you will probably be happy with it. It is ready instantly and you can do a lot of quick cleanup with little trouble. In a way, it is like a big dustbuster that you use standing up. Company coming? No problem, it's out and put away in minutes.

For cleaning large areas, it gets tiresome because the head is small and the handle is kind of awkward (for my hand anyway). In an apartment, this may not be an issue.

As for emptying it, dog hair (which it picks up a lot of) does not just fall out of the bin. You have to sort of sweep it out with a long narrow object. I don't consider this a problem.

If you buy directly from Dyson, they have a 30 day return policy. I'm betting most people do not send them back.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:05 pm

We have the Dyson V6 Motorhead Plus Cordless Vacuum

https://www.costco.com/Dyson-V6-Motorhe ... 2uIRkAo%3D

currently (4/8/17) $289.99 at Costco.com, for members, with free shipping, including a $50 discount.

retiredjg has good points, but it works well for us. Useful as a vacuum or in lieu of a dustbuster. The battery life is our major issue; 20 minutes at most? Its a trade off between a corded vac and cordless.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:18 pm

What I've found is that I have changed my behavior since I got the Dyson. I vacuum more often, but usually only a room or just all the baseboards in several rooms, or just the spot where the plant dropped leaves.

This is different from my past habits when it was such a pain to get the beast out that I didn't do any quick cleaning - just more thorough cleaning but not very frequently.

I have fewer dust and dog hair bunnies now. I think. :D

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:27 pm

I bought the Hoover Linx. I am not great about cleaning. When I have the cleaning lady, she uses the main Eureka vacuum and does a thorough job. For my periodic, I use the Linx. It's lightweight (5/6 pounds) and the 15-20 minute battery life is fine for me.

I use it 100x more than I did with the old heavy (20+ pounds) Eureka. I've heard good things about the Dyson, but I'm satisfied with the Hoover Linx Stick.

Topic Author
zeppy

Post by zeppy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. How are these mounted on the wall? I would assume they have to be near an electrical outlet and then plugged in via a cord? Does the unit itself have to be screwed onto the wall? Is this something a non-handy person could do?
Thanks

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:22 pm

The Dyson comes with a thing you can hang on the wall. You would hang it near an electrical outlet.

Mine is yet to be hung - I just plug the vacuum handle into the charger and stand it up in a corner. Works fine. It will probably get hung in the laundry room eventually.

You could screw the wall hanging thing directly into studs if you can find them. Otherwise, would need to use a molly bolt or some plaster hanging thingy (hollow wall anchor).

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:29 pm

zeppy wrote:Thanks for the replies so far. How are these mounted on the wall? I would assume they have to be near an electrical outlet and then plugged in via a cord? Does the unit itself have to be screwed onto the wall? Is this something a non-handy person could do?
Thanks
The Hoover is freestanding; so no need to hang on the wall.
The battery comes out and has its own separate charger.

Topic Author
zeppy

Post by zeppy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:24 am

Do I understand correctly that: the charger is connected to outlet, you then need to remove battery from charger, put it into the vacuum; then when finished vacuuming, take the battery out of the vacuum, put it back into the charger until next time?
Seems like it might be more connvenient if battery just stayed in vacuum and was plugged in all the time. Then it would be instantly ready any time - all you would have to do is lift it off the charger and go.

The videos of the Dyson look like it might be more convenient. Still looking for opinions.

Thanks

mccannr

Post by mccannr » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:44 am

Rob5TCP wrote:I bought the Hoover Linx. I am not great about cleaning. When I have the cleaning lady, she uses the main Eureka vacuum and does a thorough job. For my periodic, I use the Linx. It's lightweight (5/6 pounds) and the 15-20 minute battery life is fine for me.

I use it 100x more than I did with the old heavy (20+ pounds) Eureka. I've heard good things about the Dyson, but I'm satisfied with the Hoover Linx Stick.
+1 Hoover Linx. We have one. It is great. but...

We also have a corded vac. They have different purposes/uses. If you have a lot of cat hair, carpet and tile flooring, and are only looking for one vacuum--I don't think the Hoover Linx is the one.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:31 am

zeppy wrote:Seems like it might be more connvenient if battery just stayed in vacuum and was plugged in all the time. Then it would be instantly ready any time - all you would have to do is lift it off the charger and go.
Just to be clear....the Dyson electrical cord plugs into the battery like a phone. You can hang it or not hang it. The battery does not come off to charge it. So you unplug it and lift it off the hanger (not lift if off the charger).

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 pm

retiredjg wrote:
zeppy wrote:Seems like it might be more connvenient if battery just stayed in vacuum and was plugged in all the time. Then it would be instantly ready any time - all you would have to do is lift it off the charger and go.
Just to be clear....the Dyson electrical cord plugs into the battery like a phone. You can hang it or not hang it. The battery does not come off to charge it. So you unplug it and lift it off the hanger (not lift if off the charger).
The charger is easy to mount and well engineered. The vacuum pops in and out easily, and the charger holds the extra wands. We mounted ours on a wall in our utility closet. Had an electrician run an outlet to the wall, which we now use as a general purpose charging station for all our cordless tools.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:42 pm

zeppy wrote:
Do I understand correctly that: the charger is connected to outlet, you then need to remove battery from charger, put it into the vacuum; then when finished vacuuming, take the battery out of the vacuum, put it back into the charger until next time?
Seems like it might be more convenient if battery just stayed in vacuum and was plugged in all the time. Then it would be instantly ready any time - all you would have to do is lift it off the charger and go.

The videos of the Dyson look like it might be more convenient. Still looking for opinions.

Thanks

That is correct. It doesn't bother me. There is a meter on the handle to indicate how much of a charge is left. When it gets down to a third or so
I just plop it into the charger. If I used it constantly, I would probably buy another battery (you can) and just make sure one is always fully charged.
As mentioned earlier, for everyday jobs. This is nowhere as powerful as my 20+ plus vacuum cleaner. But that one I never personally use.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:45 pm

I used to work for a vacuum cleaner manufacturer. The beater bar on vacuums is important because it can loosen hairs and dirt that suction alone cannot. The Dyson product looks like it is over-priced to me. Suggest you check out consumer reports ratings on vacuums. You can usually find the annual guide in the public library reference section. They test them all.

Based on that, I bought a high-rated Kenmore with a dirt sensor and beater bar years ago. I think it was between $100 and $200, less than Dyson handhelds. Keep in mind, handheld looks nice and light, but you cannot usually get cleaner or faster with lighter vacuums.

That said, I've never used any Dyson vacs, but I'd check with consumer reports before I bought one.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

Topic Author
zeppy

Post by zeppy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful replies.

The more I read, the more uncertain I am about brand and model. I do subscribe to Consumer Reports and their buying guide rates canisters and uprights; however, it does not compare cordless models. There is an on-line rating of cordless but you have to be a (paid)online subscriber to access it and I'm sure not going to pay them for two different subscriptions. The buying guide did say that the Dyson was among the highest break/fail rate of the canisters and uprights.

On a related issue - I think I read somewhere/sometime that if one bought an item from Amazon, after going to that site directly from this site, that they made a donation to Bogleheads or something like that. True?

I am still open to any comments/suggestions/experiences concerning cordless vacuum cleaners.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:50 pm

zeppy wrote:On a related issue - I think I read somewhere/sometime that if one bought an item from Amazon, after going to that site directly from this site, that they made a donation to Bogleheads or something like that. True?
Correct. If you go to Amazon by using the link above right, the website gets a little portion back as the result of your purchase.

bbqguru

Post by bbqguru » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:09 pm

We purchased a refurbished Dyson V6 from Amazon and it works great. It was significantly less money than a new one. The refurbished model came with a shorter warranty. Only issue I had was the battery failed, but Dyson promptly sent a replacement.

Our home is 80/20 wood and tile flooring, with a couple of small area rugs. The vacuum isn't as good as our previous corded model, but I find myself vacuuming more often since it is "easier". I find myself using it a couple of times per day if there's a lot of foot traffic in the kitchen/garage entry, etc... I go over our main rooms daily for 5-10 minutes and the other rooms 2-3 times per week. It's treated more like a super dust buster. Between dusting and the continually floor cleaning, I don't hardly ever use the corded vac.

El Greco

Post by El Greco » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:29 pm

+2 on Hoover Lynx

The Dyson stuff is ridiculously overpriced :annoyed

np81

Post by np81 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:33 am

Here's another vote for the Dyson V6 Motorhead. Cleans remarkably well on any surface, won't scratch wood floors, and the wall-mounted charger means you can hang it up out of sight and save space.

That said, I would not purchase one new. You can routinely find refurbished units on Groupon for $200 or less; I myself paid just shy of $200 last year. Even on eBay, right now, you can get a refurbished V6 Animal for $199 direct from Dyson's own eBay store. Refurbished units all come with a 6-month warranty.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:36 am

I was looking at the Dysons not long ago. In the stores I looked, the sales people I talked with noted that the battery time is pretty short and the units broke pretty frequently. I had actually walked up to a model they had mounted on a wall charger and was told that the vacuum was broken. I opted instead for a previous generation corded Dyson model for something like $200 after finding a random internet coupon and hitting all the sale buttons on Dyson's site. It's been good.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

np81

Post by np81 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 am

Dyson's advertised run times appear to be accurate for ours (20 minutes in normal mode, 8 minutes in max power mode). That said, we use the V6 as a supplement to our corded Dyson Animal. My wife wanted something lightweight for the stairs and bathrooms, and this was the perfect solution for us.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 am

We have a Bissell cordless, can't think of the name. I bought an extra battery. I mounted the charger in the closet and installed a 110 outlet. It's been good enough. I tends to clog once in a while, I'll take it out to the air compressor and clean it out.

The battery takes forever to charge and there's no indicator unlike my Ridgids, but with two of them it doesn't make a huge difference.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:28 am

Had two or three Eureka stick vac for years - when the batteries would die, it was cheaper to buy a new one than a new battery. They worked well, the beater bar worked, and you hung the thing in the wall mount and it charged.

When the last Eureka died, I replaced it with a Black & Decker to get the newer lithium ion technology, and a true convertible stick to handheld vac. DO NOT buy the Black & Decker. The on /off buttons do not work reliably, the beater bar does not work on even the most low pile carpet, and it is a pain to charge. When these batteries wear out, I'll switch to a different brand...

TappyGee

Post by TappyGee » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:45 am

I have 2 cats and a dog. I bought the Hoover Linx and returned it. It worked minimally at best. I splurged on the Dyson V8 for the extra battery life and it is worth every cent. Love love love it! It is almost embarrassing how much dirt it gets up. Go for it.

Topic Author
zeppy

Post by zeppy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am

I splurged on the Dyson V8 for the extra battery life and it is worth every cent
Tappy: Is that the Dyson V8 Absolute or the Dyson V8 Animal?

Thanks

rebellovw

Post by rebellovw » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:08 pm

I love my Neato Bot Vac Connected D5. Runs every day - gets stuck very few times and always has a full bin (two pit bulls and black cat)

Place is so much cleaner now - and I also have bi-weekly cleaning service - still way cleaner now with the botvac. I love the way it goes under the couch which we never cleaned under prior.

You just have to remember to empty the bin each day.

squirm

Post by squirm » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

The most important thing is to keep the vacuum filters and air channels free, and clean the roller. It's amazing how often my wife will run the thing and not notice the high pitched sound going coming from it as it's like choking to breath. I take it apart clean everything, cut out all the debris on the rollers and then take the air compressor to it. Good as new.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:11 pm

I had to go check, but I bought a Dyson DC35 refurbished in April 2014. It's worked just fine. I use it for light touch-up cleaning. I've never had issues with suction or batter, and I can usually get at least 20 minutes of runtime out of it. It's hardly ever run out before I was done with it. A nice added feature is I can easily change attachments and take it outside to vacuum the car. Our housekeeping crew does the heavy cleaning and is worth every penny (even if they never remember my instruction to stop combining my "done" and "to do" paper piles :twisted: ). I also periodically release our Roomba to take a pass through our main living areas.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm

We have the Dyson V6 Motorhead from Costco. The most important thing is to clean it regularly, especially the filter even if it looks clean. The filter has to be thoroughly cleaned with water and then left to dry for 24 hours as directed, otherwise the vacuum surges.

Otherwise, its been a joy to use.