Quality Shears/Scissors; General Purpose/Kitchen

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
leonard

Quality Shears/Scissors; General Purpose/Kitchen

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 pm

Any recommendations on Brand/model of shears for general purpose use and/or kitchen duties?

Tired of disposable scissors. In particular, I am tired of:

1. Plastic handles that break. I am fine with plastic over metal, just the pure plastic handles crack.
2. Scissors that don't cut all the way to the end.

I am willing to pay extra for quality scissors/shears that solves these problems. By Quality, I mean scissors that can be resharpened and can be expected to last a couple decades.

So far, the KAI professional series seems to be a good model that looks to do what I want them to and has high reviews around the web and on Amazon.

Any other brands/models BH's recommend?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

corysold

Re: Quality Shears/Scissors; General Purpose/Kitchen

Postby corysold » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:27 pm

I have a pair of Calphalon kitchen scissors that came with a knife set as a wedding gift. They've been used and abused for 10 years inside and out and still perform very well.

I think these are the same ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-KN9001 ... B00007IT3B

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:32 pm

corysold wrote:I have a pair of Calphalon kitchen scissors that came with a knife set as a wedding gift. They've been used and abused for 10 years inside and out and still perform very well.

I think these are the same ones:

https://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-KN9001 ... B00007IT3B

Are the handle loops metal?
Leonard | | | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

corysold

Postby corysold » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:45 pm

I just looked at mine in the kitchen and there is metal going into the handle loops. Whether the entire handle loop is metal I couldn't say.

But they've been used basically daily for 10 years and have held up fine.

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:45 pm

corysold wrote:I just looked at mine in the kitchen and there is metal going into the handle loops. Whether the entire handle loop is metal I couldn't say.

But they've been used basically daily for 10 years and have held up fine.

Thanks for checking.
Leonard | | | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Yooper

Postby Yooper » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:54 pm

I got these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006 ... UTF8&psc=1) based on high reviews years ago in Cooks Illustrated. They worked wonderfully for about 2 years, and then something happened. I have no idea, but they just lost their zip. I liked them enough that I got another pair, but these too "went bad" in less than a year and wouldn't cut right. Vague explanation I know, but all I'm saying is I wouldn't get them again nor recommend them.

I recently got these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1) and so far I'm very happy, but then again its only been a few months.

I'll be watching this thread though, I use my kitchen shears daily, from cutting bones to cutting paper, and a good pair is worth spending money on.

El Greco

Postby El Greco » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:00 pm

The Scissors that came with my Henckels 4 star set that I bought about 10 years ago. Hands-down the best scissors I have ever owned. Just as sharp and precise as the first day I owned them

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 pm

El Greco wrote:The Scissors that came with my Henckels 4 star set that I bought about 10 years ago. Hands-down the best scissors I have ever owned. Just as sharp and precise as the first day I owned them

Yooper wrote:I got these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006 ... UTF8&psc=1) based on high reviews years ago in Cooks Illustrated. They worked wonderfully for about 2 years, and then something happened. I have no idea, but they just lost their zip. I liked them enough that I got another pair, but these too "went bad" in less than a year and wouldn't cut right. Vague explanation I know, but all I'm saying is I wouldn't get them again nor recommend them.

I recently got these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002 ... UTF8&psc=1) and so far I'm very happy, but then again its only been a few months.

I'll be watching this thread though, I use my kitchen shears daily, from cutting bones to cutting paper, and a good pair is worth spending money on.

Yooper and El Greco - thanks for the Henckels recommendation - but a failure of henckels scissors is one of the reason for this little quest.

Those plastic handles broke. And, I was annoyed to have to throw away perfectly good shears - just because the plastic handles failed.

So, I am really looking for scissors/shears with full metal loops for the grips to get durability.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

leonard wrote:Yooper and El Greco - thanks for the Henckels recommendation - but a failure of henckels scissors is one of the reason for this little quest.

Those plastic handles broke. And, I was annoyed to have to throw away perfectly good shears - just because the plastic handles failed.

So, I am really looking for scissors/shears with full metal loops for the grips to get durability.

Contact the manufacturer. I've had a pair of scissors replaced because of a broken handle before. I only had to send them a picture of the broken product.

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:49 pm

inbox788 wrote:
leonard wrote:Yooper and El Greco - thanks for the Henckels recommendation - but a failure of henckels scissors is one of the reason for this little quest.

Contact the manufacturer. I've had a pair of scissors replaced because of a broken handle before. I only had to send them a picture of the broken product.

I wouldn't want another pair of those with plastic handles. They just aren't going to hold up like all metal.

Tamales

Postby Tamales » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Can I ask what you use them for in the kitchen? Off hand, I can't think of too many cases where scissors would be preferred over a knife. Maybe for coarse chopping of a bunch of cilantro or herbs?

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Tamales wrote:Can I ask what you use them for in the kitchen? Off hand, I can't think of too many cases where scissors would be preferred over a knife. Maybe for coarse chopping of a bunch of cilantro or herbs?

It's in the kitchen and general purpose.

In the kitchen, quick cutting jobs like dicing up bacon and pieces of meat. Sometimes I don't want to get out the knife and board just to do that quickly.

most of the use is general purpose - cutting paper, opening blister packs, etc. etc.

For most kitchen cutting jobs, I get out the knife and cutting board.

Tamales

Postby Tamales » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:32 pm

leonard wrote:
Tamales wrote:Can I ask what you use them for in the kitchen? Off hand, I can't think of too many cases where scissors would be preferred over a knife. Maybe for coarse chopping of a bunch of cilantro or herbs?

In the kitchen, quick cutting jobs like dicing up bacon and pieces of meat. Sometimes I don't want to get out the knife and board just to do that quickly.

most of the use is general purpose - cutting paper, opening blister packs, etc. etc.

Ah, blister packs. If you include with that those annoying clear plastic clamshell, heat-sealed packages (I'm sure they must have a name), I bought a pair of Wiss W-300 shears ( https://www.amazon.com/M300-MultiMaster-Capacity-Straight-Handled/dp/B00002N5LD ), which powers through all variations of that with ease. Also cuts cardboard boxes easily, and even paper. I've found these so useful I bought a second pair (one in the garage, one inside). You can even cut wire and thin metal with these things. Very useful multi-purpose shears. About the only thing they don't cut is very thin things like tissue.

leonard

Postby leonard » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 pm

Tamales wrote:
leonard wrote:

Ah, blister packs. If you include with that those annoying clear plastic clamshell, heat-sealed packages (I'm sure they must have a name), I bought a pair of Wiss W-300 shears ( https://www.amazon.com/M300-MultiMaster-Capacity-Straight-Handled/dp/B00002N5LD ), which powers through all variations of that with ease. Also cuts cardboard boxes easily, and even paper. I've found these so useful I bought a second pair (one in the garage, one inside). You can even cut wire and thin metal with these things. Very useful multi-purpose shears. About the only thing they don't cut is very thin things like tissue.

Those look promising. May end up getting those as well.

fourwheelcycle

Postby fourwheelcycle » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:12 pm

Not metal handles, but I have these in my kitchen and workshop and I assure you they will do what you want them to do. Sharp, and very comfortable in your hand. The handles are not a brittle plastic, they are some type of very strong polymer. They do not bend or flex, even under under hard use.

Fiskars Premier 8 Inch Softgrip Titanium Straight Scissors

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033 ... UTF8&psc=1

jdb

Postby jdb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:04 pm

Suggest the 10" Sheffield Kevlar scissors. Expensive but with this beast may never need another set.

https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/the ... lar-shears
Last edited by jdb on Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

DiggingOut

Postby DiggingOut » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:40 am

Based on the description of what you are looking for I would recommend checking out Cutco Super Shears.

I sold the stuff after high school and I still have my demonstration set of shears. Part of the demonstration was cutting leather and a penny and then something delicate so they have probably cut through 75 pennies (difficult to do but possible). I have had them about 17 years and they are bombproof; a great all purpose & kitchen shear. I've probably given 5 sets as gifts. People aren't generally excited to receive shears as a gift, but a year or two later they are always telling me how much they love them. I use mine a lot for trimming poultry and they are great for clamshell packaging.

They are expensive for sure, but they are also guaranteed forever.

https://www.cutco.com/products/product.jsp?item=super-shears#sm.0000jevaikktqcv7vm5162iwx28ic

leonard

Postby leonard » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Going to take a closer look at all of these.

nordsteve

Postby nordsteve » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

We have two pairs of Fiskars Cuts More scissors -- one in the kitchen and one in the workshop. They are great for opening boxes and plastic clamshell containers.

We have a separate pair of kitchen scissors for cooking.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”