Teeth whitening

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
retire14

Teeth whitening

Post by retire14 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:15 am

After years of drinking iron-rich well water, my teeth are kind of yellow. I am thinking about getting a teeth whitening at my dentist's office. But I have heard mixed results. So please let me know if you have done a teeth whitening, did it work and what method/brand did your dentist use? I think my dentist offering something call ZOOM. I did a quick search on the net and it does not sound promising. Thanks.

RoadHouseFan

Re: Teeth whitening

Post by RoadHouseFan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:31 am

We used white strips. They can make your teeth and gums sensitive for a few days, however.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:32 am

retire14 wrote:After years of drinking iron-rich well water, my teeth are kind of yellow. I am thinking about getting a teeth whitening at my dentist's office. But I have heard mixed results. So please let me know if you have done a teeth whitening, did it work and what method/brand did your dentist use? I think my dentist offering something call ZOOM. I did a quick search on the net and it does not sound promising. Thanks.

I tried this ages ago, very briefly, with what is probably a now outdated process/chemicals/etc.

It involved a "starter" process at the office, and then a custom mold to use with some whitening agent, for 30 (or 60?) minutes per day.
That made my teeth HURT, and not just during the specific time; it continued afterwards.
So I stopped.

I've been tempted again (a few times), but keep reading about the possibility of what is probably the same kind of pain/discomfort.
And using "whitening toothpaste" doesn't seem to do anything, no surprise... certainly it doesn't do much.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:52 am

My dental hygienist told me swishing hydrogen peroxide twice a day works. I tried it, it worked. So use it until you get desired results, then stop
"La Bella Luna"

TheJourneyContinues

Post by TheJourneyContinues » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:06 pm

My best friend is a dentist and I recently asked her this exact question. She said that the whitening procedure done in a dental office will still require that you take a whitening kit home to use daily for a few weeks (just like you would if you used Crest White Strips or a similar OTC product). Her opinion was that, unless your teeth are very stained and need to be whitened very quickly, just go with the OTC products.

moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:21 pm

White is not the natural color of the teeth. The dental science does not know enough yet.

InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:23 pm

I bought a Groupon for teeth whitening and saw no noticeable difference.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:26 pm

moneywise3 wrote:White is not the natural color of the teeth. The dental science does not know enough yet.

Keep this ^^^ in mind.

A few people seem to think they need really BRIGHT WHITE teeth such that it not only looks unnatural, but it really pops right out and almost knocks you out.

I suspect a lot of TV/movie folks do this, but even then, there are a few who, through the TV, also look ridiculously artificial.
(Is that because the rest of us have such dingy teeth that we've forgotten what "real teeth" look like? I don't thiiiiink so!)

RM

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Clearly, one should try other things before having it done at the dentist unless the dentist will do it for under $50. There can be no harm in swishing hydrogen peroxide as mentioned, then no harm in Crest whitestrips, then ….

Just take before pictures, so you can compare to after. :D
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:43 pm

I paid about $150 to have it done back when at the dentist. He was offering a special. It worked OK and I liked the look. My teeth were not stained but just slightly off white to start. I went for some brighter and not real white like the movie stars. The dentist could grade the whiteness and get them as white as I wanted. He made me a set of trays to wear for upkeep and gave me some jell to put in the trays to keep the white look. I did not do the upkeep as needed as it was PIA. I did not get any side effects.

Now I get stains from red wine. After I drink some wine I have to brush and clean with whitening toothpaste to get rid of the stains. And without looking at the dentist color chart I bet they are back to the older whiteness.

Good Luck.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:45 pm

btenny wrote:I paid about $150 to have it done back when at the dentist. He was offering a special. It worked OK and I liked the look. My teeth were not stained but just slightly off white to start. I went for some brighter and not real white like the movie stars. The dentist could grade the whiteness and get them as white as I wanted. He made me a set of trays to wear for upkeep and gave me some jell to put in the trays to keep the white look. I did not do the upkeep as needed as it was PIA. I did not get any side effects.

Now I get stains from red wine. After I drink some wine I have to brush and clean with whitening toothpaste to get rid of the stains. And without looking at the dentist color chart I bet they are back to the older whiteness.

Good Luck.

Now that is interesting/of concern.

Is the red wine staining a new problem after having the whitening treatment?

RM

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:16 pm

You can buy teeth whitening kits otc now that come with teeth molds and very strong peroxide to use with them. Multiple be ands available on Amazon.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:19 pm

I wonder if the whitening works on crowns? I do not believe it does, so you may get some teeth white, but the crowns may be a different shade.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 pm

I am not sure. I used to drink a little red wine before but did not notice. I was mostly a beer and Margarita guy in my younger years and when I was working. I got the whitening in 2003ish. Now I dink red wine regularly.

No the whitening does NOT work on crowns. That is why I got the procedure done to start with. I had to have a crown done and the dentist showed me the color chart to select a color for my teeth and for the crown.

Good Luck.

grog

Post by grog » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Activated charcoal. It's sounds kind of crazy, but just put some in your mouth and at first it turns your teeth black. At that point it won't appear to be helping much (heh). But it's very binding and when it rinses away it leaves your teeth cleaner. I believe it's pretty good for removing stains, but I doubt it would give a really bright white beyond your natural color. You'd probably need peroxide products for that. You might also try getting an electric toothbrush.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:12 pm

Since swishing hydrogen peroxide has been mentioned, I feel obligated to note there are different concentrations available, and some are dangerous.

The common 3% peroxide in the supermarket or drugstore should (probably) do no harm swished and spit out, even if a small amount is swallowed accidentally, beyond a brief upset tummy.

But be aware there is also 30% hydrogen peroxide available, sometimes found in "health" shops labeled as "food grade." A different thing entirely. It is meant to be diluted, but not everyone understands this. 30% hydrogen peroxide is highly corrosive to tissues. Ingestions of 30% peroxide, both accidental and intentional (suicide attempts) have caused significant gastrointestinal injury, resulting in some cases in esophageal perforation, and/or gas emboli. Those conditions can be fatal.
Semper Augustus

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:18 pm

Crest Whitestrips Professionals Effects. Work great. Sometimes they have e coupons on Amazon for them.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Beck49

Post by Beck49 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:24 pm

fsrph wrote:Crest Whitestrips Professionals Effects. Work great. Sometimes they have e coupons on Amazon for them.

Francis

+1. First time I doubled up the applications for few days. Big improvement. Now just use one occasionally. Good luck.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Most over the counter products use 5-10 % hyrodgen perxoide as the cleaning agent.
Crest white strips use about 14 %.
Dentists products use hydrogen peroxide in concentrations ranging from 25 percent to 40 percent.

I would start with white strips first. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:39 pm

I guess I'm one of the few people responding who can attest personally to having had the ZOOM procedure done in the dentist's office, and am very happy with the results. http://www.usa.philips.com/c-m-pe/denta ... -whitening

I might have been able to get it cheaper elsewhere, but I liked the idea of having my regular dentist and assistant do the procedure.

There were 4 stages to the process in the office, and after the first one, I could see that when the dentist looked at the results, she was shocked at the difference, since she'd told me not to expect a miracle. I looked in the mirror they handed me and then I was shocked at the improvement. Then when I got home, DW was really pleasantly surprised (she herself had done the home strips system).

So, it worked for me. And will do it again in the future as necessary. YMMV, of course.

I was given a list of foods that tend to stain teeth, and I now try to avoid them when possible. I don't drink coffee or red wine or smoke, so those weren't issues. I did give up tea and cut way back on my daily chocolate :? . Life is full of little compromises.
Last edited by Jazztonight on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:25 pm

I usually recommend that my patients try something OTC without a custom made tray first to get a feel for what teeth whitening is all about and so they can start to get an idea of their expectations. If they are happy with the results but want to go the next step, then I make them custom trays and advise further. Crest White Strips are fine, but I personally much prefer Opalescence Go which can be purchased at Amazon, Walmart, and maybe some other places.

https://www.amazon.com/Opalescence-Go-1 ... escence+go

Keep in mind that fillings and crowns are not affected by whitening, so if you have a lot of work done on your front teeth then the shade may no longer match.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:17 pm

I just picked up my trays and I believe 18% peroxide solution gel from my dentist earlier today. They did the whole shebang for $99 which is really good - I had trays made maybe 6 years ago and it was in the ~$300 range.

Excited to start this again for a month or so. I had fantastic results last time.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:29 pm

I used zoom about 4 or so years ago and am currently using it now. I have a crown on one of my two front teeth so to keep it from sticking out (whiter than the others) I periodically use zoom. I have had good luck with the product and would recommend it. It is important to not put too much of the product in each slot so that it doesn't come in contact with your gums. It definitely whitens your teeth but you can control how white you want them. I have not reached the bright white look others have mentioned. I figured $25 every 4 to 5 years is no problem. Good luck

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 pm

My teeth are particularly yellow. I used the gel and tray sold by the dentist for awhile. I found that simply brushing with Sensodyne Extra Whitening gave me all the whitening that I need.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Although this thread will soon be closed since medical advice is not allowed, I will say that most people can get a few shades whiter with the OTC drug store stuff. But if you want toilet-bowl-white, you have to get it from your dentist.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:45 pm

I discovered that a tartar control mouthwash made my teeth a little whiter. Was noticeable within a month of starting use.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

retire14 wrote:After years of drinking iron-rich well water, my teeth are kind of yellow. I am thinking about getting a teeth whitening at my dentist's office. But I have heard mixed results. So please let me know if you have done a teeth whitening, did it work and what method/brand did your dentist use? I think my dentist offering something call ZOOM. I did a quick search on the net and it does not sound promising. Thanks.

You only have 1 set of teeth. Why not get the problem fixed and not the symptom?...ie. get a well water filtration system to remove the excess iron.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:01 pm

ResearchMed wrote:And using "whitening toothpaste" doesn't seem to do anything, no surprise... certainly it doesn't do much.RM

This is my question (to everyone not just ResearchMed) - I've tried several OTC whitening toothpastes (and have an electric Oral B toothbrush). I've tried the top $$ shelf Crest/Colgate/etc whitening kind, and ones that were slightly cheaper. I've seen no noticeable difference in the whiteness of my teeth over the course of a year with any of these products.

Can anyone suggest an OTC whitening toothpaste that lives up to its hype?

I don't smoke, do drink coffee.

Eurookat

Post by Eurookat » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:32 pm

I've had a lot of success with Dr. SONG'S teeth whitening system. It can be purchased from Amazon. Even my dentist is amazed at how white they are.

Please note, if you have a heavy case of plaque, it will not help.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:35 pm

Personally, I find teeth that are "too white" to be a little creepy. Anybody remember episode of Friends when Ross whitened this teeth? :D

I use a whitening toothpaste and recently switched to a Sonicare toothbrush. I tried to use Crest whitestrips once, but they made my teeth sensitive so I'll never use them again.

jbjeannine

Post by jbjeannine » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:52 pm

As a former dental hygienist these are my thoughts: tooth shade varies from person to person (like skin tones) and no one's teeth are naturally bright white. As we age our teeth become more gray or yellow (again dependIng on our natural coloring) - it's a natural process. From my point of view, good hygiene is the best we can do - accept the rest. Another of the joys of aging!

JamalJones

Post by JamalJones » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:59 am

ResearchMed wrote:
moneywise3 wrote:White is not the natural color of the teeth. The dental science does not know enough yet.

Keep this ^^^ in mind.

A few people seem to think they need really BRIGHT WHITE teeth such that it not only looks unnatural, but it really pops right out and almost knocks you out.

I suspect a lot of TV/movie folks do this, but even then, there are a few who, through the TV, also look ridiculously artificial.
(Is that because the rest of us have such dingy teeth that we've forgotten what "real teeth" look like? I don't thiiiiink so!)

RM

Yes, nearly ALL women - and I would say most men - working as journalists for local and national TV news networks do the teeth whitening thing. I find myself looking at their teeth so much that sometimes I don't hear what they're saying.....
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA: 80% equities (C, S, I Funds and VTSAX,VTIAX, VEMAX) / 20% bonds (F and G Funds) | MOTBH!

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:24 am

jbjeannine wrote:As a former dental hygienist these are my thoughts: tooth shade varies from person to person (like skin tones) and no one's teeth are naturally bright white. As we age our teeth become more gray or yellow (again dependIng on our natural coloring) - it's a natural process. From my point of view, good hygiene is the best we can do - accept the rest. Another of the joys of aging!

This is very sensible advice. If teeth whitening had no adverse health effects, that would be one thing. But many people I know who do those strips or whitening regimens end up with increased teeth sensitivity.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:47 am

I did have my teeth whitened, by a dentist, with the trays and a gel to desensitize the gums and the lights in the office, etc. What started this was a video of me giving a presentation. I thought my teeth looked yellow and Old. We decided in advance on how white to go - all I wanted was ordinary teeth that wouldn't attract notice as being either grungy yellow or fake white. My dentist was concerned because a lot of older people had inappropriate treatment with antibiotics for acne which caused discoloration that doesn't respond to whitening. Had gotten by with Clearasil and Dr. Time so dentist and I came away satisfied.

No way I'd give up either coffee or red wine, so there's had to be some follow-up; the whitening gel is Opalescence; don't remember the desensitizer; haven't been religious about it. Really can't say how much whiter my teeth remain . . .

According to the labels, whitening toothpastes have the same active ingredient as cavity preventing and breath freshening and ________ toothpaste so I don't see what they can be expected to do. Never tried White Strips or its relatives.

Vic

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:54 am

I had a procedure at the dentist several years ago. It was a one and done procedure (no gel, trays or anything to do beyond that at home). I remember thinking the results were pretty good but I was not blown away. Flash forward several years. I now look at pictures taken of me for the year or two after that and my teeth are remarkably whiter than they are today. So I asked my current dentist about it and he recommended the professional Crest White Strips (I think they were $50-$75, so much cheaper than the procedure I had years ago). I just used my first strip and I am already annoyed that it will take so long to get results! But hopefully they'll be effective.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:46 pm

JamalJones wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:

Yes, nearly ALL women - and I would say most men - working as journalists for local and national TV news networks do the teeth whitening thing. I find myself looking at their teeth so much that sometimes I don't hear what they're saying.....

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing some grade 'B' movie in which I thought, "...nice teeth, too nice for the era." Don't recall anything else about the movie...just "nice teeth."
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

toofache32

Post by toofache32 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:57 pm

Amazing this thread of medical advice has been allowed to live for so long...

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:13 am

toofache32 wrote:Amazing this thread of medical advice has been allowed to live for so long...

The thread is about a consumer cosmetic product.

JPH

Post by JPH » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:41 am

PoppyA wrote:My dental hygienist told me swishing hydrogen peroxide twice a day works. I tried it, it worked. So use it until you get desired results, then stop

This also may be medical advice, but since rinsing with hydrogen peroxide already has been suggested and supported in this thread, I will post an alternative at this link https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24351145. It's an opinion piece, but note the title: Mouthwashes with hydrogen peroxide are carcinogenic, but are freely indicated on the Internet: warn your patients!
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt