Silicone food tools/containers - Safe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Saving$

Silicone food tools/containers - Safe?

Post by Saving$ » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:07 pm

There seem to be a plethora of kitchen tools and containers available that are made of Silicone.

Supposedly, these are even safe when heated. I've done some googling, and the consensus appears to be that the way silicone is made it does not have any BPA, the item that supposedly makes plastic unsafe for food. Is silicone also safe when heated? They sell spatula, etc made of silicone. What about silicone containers for heating food in the microwave? Is it just better to stay away from these and use metal spatulas and glass bowls?
Last edited by Saving$ on Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Silicone food tools/containers - Safe?

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:08 pm

I expect that all your glass bowls probably have trace amounts of radioactive thorium and other things like that in them. OTOH, your food probably has more radioactive isotopes in it anyways.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:01 am

Silicone is safe even when heated to over 400 degrees. I do have some concerns about colorings and additives since much of it is made in China where where safety standards and enforcement are not reliable.

A real problem that I have experienced is that silicone can absorb oily foods, stain, and hold odors. I still use the silicone tools that I have but won't be buying more.

just frank

Post by just frank » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:45 am

If it makes you feel better, the polymer used to produce silicone rubber (when crosslinked) is very similar to 'simethicone' which is used legally as a food and drug ingredient:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simethicone

There are also some other chemical groups, dyes and catalysts in there, as other posters have mentioned, but the base polymer is considered 'safe' for ingestion by the FDA.

I use plastic containers for food storage and reheating without worry, and have concluded from reading the available scientific literature that air pollution is by far the greater health hazard (weak monitoring and enforcement), not anything in the US food supply (strong monitoring and enforcement).

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:19 am

livesoft wrote:I expect that all your glass bowls probably have trace amounts of radioactive thorium and other things like that in them. OTOH, your food probably has more radioactive isotopes in it anyways.
Don't forget about those radioactive bananas and granite countertops. :o
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Some are predisposed to consistently lose money. Don't be a sheep.