What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Pu239

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Pu239 »

A couple of very useful credit card rewards reviews have recently been compiled on r/CreditCards.

For best cash back cards by category: https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/wi ... e_category

and

For flat 1.5% and higher cash back cards: https://www.reddit.com/r/CreditCards/wi ... h_benefits

Some here might find some gems worth pursuing as part of your rewards strategy.
Between the idea And the reality...Between the motion And the act...Falls the Shadow - T. S. Eliot
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

I have the USB Altitude Reserve card as well as the Amex Platinum card and am looking to set up Priority Pass access for me and my spouse. Now, in case my spouse has to travel alone, how do I best setup my Priority Pass? Platinum has an additional user for $175 with PP access, while USB additional users have no fee but I'm not sure if they have PP access. Anyone have any experience with this? I hoping I can just add her as an additional user in USB and she gets PP access.
koryg75

Post by koryg75 »

arsenal_fan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:59 pm I have the USB Altitude Reserve card as well as the Amex Platinum card and am looking to set up Priority Pass access for me and my spouse. Now, in case my spouse has to travel alone, how do I best setup my Priority Pass? Platinum has an additional user for $175 with PP access, while USB additional users have no fee but I'm not sure if they have PP access. Anyone have any experience with this? I hoping I can just add her as an additional user in USB and she gets PP access.
Easiest would be getting her a card with PP access. It would be cheaper to get her a USB card of her own, plus you’d get the signup bonus. It’s a great card.
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

koryg75 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:40 pm
arsenal_fan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:59 pm I have the USB Altitude Reserve card as well as the Amex Platinum card and am looking to set up Priority Pass access for me and my spouse. Now, in case my spouse has to travel alone, how do I best setup my Priority Pass? Platinum has an additional user for $175 with PP access, while USB additional users have no fee but I'm not sure if they have PP access. Anyone have any experience with this? I hoping I can just add her as an additional user in USB and she gets PP access.
Easiest would be getting her a card with PP access. It would be cheaper to get her a USB card of her own, plus you’d get the signup bonus. It’s a great card.
Yeah, we’re trying to see if it can be done without a new application.
koryg75

Post by koryg75 »

arsenal_fan wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:56 pm
koryg75 wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:40 pm
Yeah, we’re trying to see if it can be done without a new application.
Why worry about a new application?
NorCalHiker

Post by NorCalHiker »

Those of you who have both a CSR and CSP, please see if this strategy makes sense.

DW's CSR just got assessed the $550 fee. As I understand it, I have 30 days from the assessment date to get the card changed to a no-annual fee version. She also has a CSP card which had the $95 fee (she did a double dip and got both cards at the same time). So, we were going to see if we can get some spend on the $300 travel credit before changing the CSR by PC to Freedom I think. She can then use the CSP to keep the UR points.

Another alternative is to cancel/downgrade both the CSP and the CSR and then transfer the points over to me. We could use PYB, but we are hoping to cash in the points for tickets at some point!

Thanks.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

NorCalHiker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:59 pm Those of you who have both a CSR and CSP, please see if this strategy makes sense.

DW's CSR just got assessed the $550 fee. As I understand it, I have 30 days from the assessment date to get the card changed to a no-annual fee version. She also has a CSP card which had the $95 fee (she did a double dip and got both cards at the same time). So, we were going to see if we can get some spend on the $300 travel credit before changing the CSR by PC to Freedom I think. She can then use the CSP to keep the UR points.

Another alternative is to cancel/downgrade both the CSP and the CSR and then transfer the points over to me. We could use PYB, but we are hoping to cash in the points for tickets at some point!

Thanks.
Two thoughts: First, can points be transferred to a spouse? (This would be great, as we are in a similar position and don't need two Chase cards. We each have one only because of the bonus points we each got.)

Second, I wouldn't cancel and plan "THEN" to transfer points (if it's possible at all). Do the transfer *before* cancelling. Downgrading may be fine either way, assuming one can keep the points with the downgraded card (vs. it being a card that doesn't offer/use "points", or such).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:34 pm... First, can points be transferred to a spouse? ...
Yes. Both I and DW have Freedom cards. When I had a CSR we transferred all points to it for 1.5x redemption.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:50 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:34 pm... First, can points be transferred to a spouse? ...
Yes. Both I and DW have Freedom cards. When I had a CSR we transferred all points to it for 1.5x redemption.
You got more than one point for each point transferred?

Can you transfer points spouse to spouse using regular CSP cards, for example?

Thanks.

RM
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:54 pm

Yes. Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to any account that generates them and redeemed at the rate of the card to which they were transferred. At the time they could be redeemed for cash at the bonus rate. I think that benefit has been reduced to where you have to redeem them on the Chase travel site to get the 1.5x or 1.25x bonus of the Reserve or Preferred accounts.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Capital One Spark 2x Miles card only has $95 annual fee and the miles can be transferred to 15 travel programs. Relatively easy to get at least 3% of value on all spend.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Thanks.

RM
Pretty sure you have to link the accounts so that you can both use them to transfer points.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:22 pm

Yes. Ultimate Rewards points can be transferred to any account that generates them and redeemed at the rate of the card to which they were transferred. At the time they could be redeemed for cash at the bonus rate. I think that benefit has been reduced to where you have to redeem them on the Chase travel site to get the 1.5x or 1.25x bonus of the Reserve or Preferred accounts.

Wait:
"... redeemed for cash..." ??
1.5x *points* or 1.5 cents per point?

Or redeeming for travel itself? That isn't necessarily better for our purposes. Those "portals" are never good deals for us, vs. applying the points themselves at the airline network partners.

It makes a huge difference, at least for us.
We use *points* for international business (or, rarely, first) class travel. Those "cents" won't go far at all vs. using points.

RM
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:02 pmWait:
1.5x *points* or 1.5 cents per point? Or redeeming for travel itself? That isn't necessarily better for our purposes. ...
To get the boost you have to redeem for travel through the Chase portal. When I was doing it we could get the 1.5x on cash, which they no longer offer. But your question which I initially answered was whether you can combine points on one account, for which the answer is yes.
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:38 pm
1.5x *points* or 1.5 cents per point? Or redeeming for travel itself? That isn't necessarily better for our purposes. ...
To get the boost you have to redeem for travel through the Chase portal. When I was doing it we could get the 1.5x on cash, which they no longer offer. But your question which I initially answered was whether you can combine points on one account, for which the answer is yes.
Note that you can also redeem at 1.5 cents a point using the "Pay Yourself Back" feature. The categories change over time, but I've been able to use my points so far on restaurant purchases and the annual fee. All current categories expire at the end of this month, but the restaurant one has been renewed since the feature first debuted on the card.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Thanks. Yes, that's very useful to know. We'll do that and then we can drop one of our Chase cards, for starters.
I don't think it's common to be able to transfer points between spouses within the various awards programs, or perhaps we need to check into that more? (or not without some costs, anyway)

RM
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Lyrrad wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:57 pm
Note that you can also redeem at 1.5 cents a point using the "Pay Yourself Back" feature. The categories change over time, but I've been able to use my points so far on restaurant purchases and the annual fee. All current categories expire at the end of this month, but the restaurant one has been renewed since the feature first debuted on the card.

Our points are worth much more than 1.5 cents each when we use them for premium international air travel. We can no longer travel long haul "sitting up". It can become agony, and then also interfere with the next several days wherever we land. It's not worth traveling. When we were younger, we never even considered anything other than "economy". Of course, back then, "economy" wasn't at all like the sardine class it is nowadays.

RM
johnegonpdx

Post by johnegonpdx »

We regularly go to Japan and Hawaii to visit family, so naturally we look at mileage programs.
Every few years, we compare cash-back cards with mileage cards + reward travel rates to see which provides more value to us.
Every time, sticking with the mileage cards has won.
Our primary card has grandfathered 2-3x miles per dollar reward policy that no current mileage cards offer, though, so we're biased by our luck.
And since we pay the balance every month, and have good cash reserves, APR's and cash advances never figure into the comparison.
We are drawing down on our miles this summer and fall, so come winter I will be making a fresh comparison to see if we stay the course or switch things up.
vaylie

Post by vaylie »

I know a lot of people have success using Paypal Bill Pay to get rewards for their utility bills. However, I'm curious if anyone uses it to pay for their credit cards and get cashback from that?

https://www.paypal.com/myaccount/paymen ... your_bills

Apparently there's a credit card category and their search returns Bank of America. Couldn't we technically double dip if we pay our credit card bills with a cash-back credit card?

I'm sure this falls under the "Too Good to be true" category but ... maybe?
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

vaylie wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:28 pm I know a lot of people have success using Paypal Bill Pay to get rewards for their utility bills. However, I'm curious if anyone uses it to pay for their credit cards and get cashback from that?

Apparently there's a credit card category and their search returns Bank of America. Couldn't we technically double dip if we pay our credit card bills with a cash-back credit card?

Too good to be true, as you said. It will only let you pay CC bills and mortgages from a linked bank account, not another CC.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:34 pm Second, I wouldn't cancel and plan "THEN" to transfer points (if it's possible at all). Do the transfer *before* cancelling. Downgrading may be fine either way, assuming one can keep the points with the downgraded card (vs. it being a card that doesn't offer/use "points", or such).
When I canceled my CSR last year, I was told I had a certain time period to transfer points to another eligible account. I'd already transferred the points to my existing CFU card prior to canceling, but I did notice the CSR account remained active in the points portal for the specified period of time. It's still good habit to transfer first, but at least last year Chase was giving a grace period.
NorCalHiker wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:59 pm DW's CSR just got assessed the $550 fee. As I understand it, I have 30 days from the assessment date to get the card changed to a no-annual fee version. She also has a CSP card which had the $95 fee (she did a double dip and got both cards at the same time). So, we were going to see if we can get some spend on the $300 travel credit before changing the CSR by PC to Freedom I think. She can then use the CSP to keep the UR points.
The plan to use the travel credit, then cancel, seems dicey to me. At the very least, the travel credit seems highly likely to be revoked once you cancel. Read the fine print to be sure, but I'm pretty sure Chase reserves that right for just this scenario. I just canceled my CSR with nothing on the balance other than the annual fee. It was much cleaner that way, since I already had a CFU and I wanted to retain the ability to get a sign-up bonus for the CSP in the future.
patrick

Post by patrick »

vaylie wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:28 pm I know a lot of people have success using Paypal Bill Pay to get rewards for their utility bills. However, I'm curious if anyone uses it to pay for their credit cards and get cashback from that?

They do not allow paying a credit card with another credit card, but I have been able to pay credit card bills with rewards debit card. I was able to use the Coinbase debit card (2%, paid in cryptocurrency which you can sell immediately) with Paypal Bill Pay though others have reported problems with that card and I would not be surprised if mine gets cancelled soon. Enzo (1%) openly endorses using their debit card with Paypal Bill Pay.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Chase Freedom quarterly category is Gas Stations, Car Rental Agencies, Movie Theaters and on Select Live Entertainment.

I probably won't use much of any of those categories except gas stations. But as it is $50 or more to fill my tank seems like a reasonable bonus category for me. Mind you I usually get 4% from my Costco card on gas so not a huge bump.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Shop Your Way Mastercard once again on top

10% cash back on restaurants, groceries and gas in Q3, up to $1500 in spend per month
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:35 am Shop Your Way Mastercard once again on top

10% cash back on restaurants, groceries and gas in Q3, up to $1500 in spend per month
Do you have a link for that? The Shop Your Way MasterCard site and doctorofcredit seem to say half the numbers you cite. And it seems to be points not cash? But maybe I'm not looking at what you are talking about?
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Da5id wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:42 am
CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:35 am Shop Your Way Mastercard once again on top

Do you have a link for that? The Shop Your Way MasterCard site and doctorofcredit seem to say half the numbers you cite. And it seems to be points not cash? But maybe I'm not looking at what you are talking about?
These offers are never publicly posted online. They are only emailed to cardholders.

You have to sign up first, then wait for the emails.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:44 am

These offers are never publicly posted online. They are only emailed to cardholders.

Got it. I tend to only get new cards with good sign up bonuses (say over $500 value to me). Seems to be a bit odd that the Shop Your Way card *doesn't* say what the actual benefits of its cards are publicly, most companies do that as it is free advertising. Huh. Some googling seems to suggest the offer is targeted (not all users), though who knows? I'm also dubious about points vs cash, though I use airline miles/hotel points sometimes.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

Da5id wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 am

Got it. I tend to only get new cards with good sign up bonuses (say over $500 value to me). Seems to be a bit odd that the Shop Your Way card *doesn't* say what the actual benefits of its cards are publicly, most companies do that as it is free advertising. Huh. Some googling seems to suggest the offer is targeted (not all users), though who knows? I'm also dubious about points vs cash, though I use airline miles/hotel points sometimes.
The 10% back offer is cash, not points. The publicly available rewards for the card is points, and that’s on top of the emailed offers.

So for gas I would earn 10% cash back plus 5 points, which I value at 4 cents when redeemed for gift cards. That’s 14% back on gas.

Btw, the signup bonus now looks to be $225, which is better than most cards with no annual fee.
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am

The 10% back offer is cash, not points. The publicly available rewards for the card is points, and that’s on top of the emailed offers.

So for gas I would earn 10% cash back plus 5 points, which I value at 4 cents when redeemed for gift cards. That’s 14% back on gas.

Btw, the signup bonus now looks to be $225, which is better than most cards with no annual fee.
Is there some place to sign up to get these offers? I have the card but haven’t received anything so far.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:02 am
Our points are worth much more than 1.5 cents each when we use them for premium international air travel. We can no longer travel long haul "sitting up". It can become agony, and then also interfere with the next several days wherever we land. It's not worth traveling. When we were younger, we never even considered anything other than "economy". Of course, back then, "economy" wasn't at all like the sardine class it is nowadays.

RM
My wife and I have been stockpiling miles on United airlines and accumulating Chase UR points (for conversion to United miles in the future) in hopes we will get a deal worth taking on business class seats on an international trip. Sadly, we have not found any. Every time I have looked at using miles to cover the cost of a flight, the conversion rate comes out to 1.2 cents to 1.3 cents per mile (every now and again maybe 1.4 cents per mile). This seems to be pretty much standard now across all major US carriers too. Ten + years ago it was different and sometimes I have found and taken advantage of one-off bargains, but I've not seen these deals in a very long time.

Can you color more your ability to get way more than 1.5 cents per point for international? Also, which airlines are you flying?

Are you flying at less popular times of the day (6am departures) or taking connecting flights where you could take non-stop flights?

For this reason, I began using the Chase Pay Yourself Back feature for cash back during the pandemic - to the tune of $4,200 combined in 2020 and 2021. Since we only charge travel and meals to our CSR, those points were earned at the rate of 3 points per dollar spent. Cashing them out at 1.5 cents per points converts them to cash at 4.5 cents per dollar spent to earn those points (or 4.5% cash back). I've not found any use of points on airline miles that come close to that level of cash value. Thus, the reason for cashing out UR points. I am still holding several hundred thousand UR points, but losing hope they will make their way to airline miles for more than a 4.5% cash back rate.

As a side note, I have had lots of success transferring UR points to Hyatt for use to cover the cost of rooms at rates around (and even exceeding) 10% cash back equivalent. I have had some success transferring points to Marriott with cash back equivalent at 7.5% or thereabouts, but those are getting harder and harder to come by. Marriott has gotten really stingy with the point value of a room.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
egri

Post by egri »

My current setup is AmEx Charles Schwab Platinum for airfare, Gold for groceries and dining, and Fidelity Visa signature for everything else. With SUBs and retention offers, it works out to a couple thousand a year extra to invest.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

arsenal_fan wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:24 pm
CletusCaddy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am

Is there some place to sign up to get these offers? I have the card but haven’t received anything so far.
Check Spam folder. The emails come from “shopyourwaycard@info16.citi.com
eddot98

Re: best 4-card strategy

Post by eddot98 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:42 am
Admiral Fun wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:31 pm This is pretty much the best, simple-ish plan for ongoing rewards that I can come up with (assuming platinum honors at BoA, 1.5x multiplier for UR points, big enough traveler to use both CSR and premium rewards credits)

Chase Sapphire Reserve - 4.5% travel and dining, plus the other goodies
Chase Ink Cash - 7.5% cell and internet
BOA premium rewards - 2.625% general spend
BOA Cash rewards - groceries (3.5%) and online (5.25%)

You can do better but not without adding significant complexity.
Well....that depends what you consider significant complexity.

Currently, I'm using Citi Sears for gas, restaurants, groceries. For July, Aug, Sep, each month, minimum $500 spend to $1000 spend, they're giving 10% as statement credit.
Wife has a new Discover with double points at year's end. This month, restaurants 5%, so doubled to 10%.
On top of those, I'm a Mobil rewards member, so get "stuff" after so many gallons purchased. On top some more, I use an app called "GetUpSide" which selected gas stations give discounts through the app. The one I usually go to has 12 cents per gallon. But that comes through the app, so it doesn't reduce the citi sears 10% I'm getting this quarter. Oh, and the citi sears also gives me citi thank you points. I just cashed in some of those for an Applebees gift card.
I am aware that this post was a few years ago, but I have a question about the Citibank Sears Mastercards. I have the light blue one that has only given us Thankyou points. I didn’t use it much until a year or so ago (I got it so that FIL could save some money on a mattress purchase years ago) when they started sending me promotions for 10x Thankyou points on gas, groceries, restaurants. I have never been offered cash back. I only try to use the points for gift cards where a point is worth 1 cent, sometimes better than that when they have gift card sales. I now have 110,000+ Thankyou points. We have only gotten gift cards from TJMaxx companies, Starbucks, Bath and Body, and Apple. The Thankyou points are spendable at Amazon, but they are only worth 8 tenths of a cent there. One strategy to use up the Thankyou points would be to get enough Apple gift cards to get a new iPhone when one of us needs one.
Which Sears Mastercard gives cash back or has that promotion ended?
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

eddot98 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:41 pmWhich Sears Mastercard gives cash back or has that promotion ended?
I don't know about Sears Mastercards, but if you can't redeem your Thank You Points directly through your current card for cash back, you should get another Citi card that pays Thank You Points and allows you to redeem them at 1 cent per TYP (such as the Custom Cash or Double Cash) and pool it with your existing card. That will allow you to redeem your TYPs earned on the Sears card through the second card. That should give you $1,100 in cash.

If you add the Citi Rewards+ as well, you'll get a "rebate" of 10% of the TYPs you redeem (although I think that's capped at 100,000 TYPs per year, so you'll be a little over; maybe hold the remainder in reserve and redeem them next year?) That would get you another $100-110. Note that Rewards+ needs to be your third Citi card, not your second; Rewards+ cashes out TYPs at a lower rate if not pooled with a card like the CC or DC, so you need that other card in the mix.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We're not at all interested in churning CCs for airline miles, but we would like hotel points or generic travel points. We're looking at the Capital One Venture card right now, which is offering 75k points that can be redeemed for $750 toward most travel expenses. Does anyone know of anything better right now?
The Sensible Steward
VanguardInvestor1972

Post by VanguardInvestor1972 »

an_asker wrote: Thu May 26, 2016 10:05 am
BW1985 wrote:
azb wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
I believe that the IHG and Hyatt should be at the top of anyone's "keep it" list.
We have had the Chase IHG card for several years. We only use it periodically for charging things but the one free night per year always generates more value for us than the annual fee by a factor of at least 4.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:22 pm We're not at all interested in churning CCs for airline miles, but we would like hotel points or generic travel points. We're looking at the Capital One Venture card right now, which is offering 75k points that can be redeemed for $750 toward most travel expenses. Does anyone know of anything better right now?
Citi Premier is 80k/$800 signup signup bonus.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:34 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:22 pm We're not at all interested in churning CCs for airline miles, but we would like hotel points or generic travel points. We're looking at the Capital One Venture card right now, which is offering 75k points that can be redeemed for $750 toward most travel expenses. Does anyone know of anything better right now?
Citi Premier is 80k/$800 signup signup bonus.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
The Sensible Steward
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Chase Sapphire Reserve is offering a sign up bonus of 60k pts, which can be worth $900 towards travel expenses.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

anon_investor wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:48 pm
Chase Sapphire Reserve is offering a sign up bonus of 60k pts, which can be worth $900 towards travel expenses.
Thanks, but we're still not eligible for more Chase cards yet. And the Reserve has a $550 annual fee plus $75 for each additional user.
The Sensible Steward
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

FedGuy wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:14 pm
eddot98 wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:41 pmWhich Sears Mastercard gives cash back or has that promotion ended?
I don't know about Sears Mastercards, but if you can't redeem your Thank You Points directly through your current card for cash back, you should get another Citi card that pays Thank You Points and allows you to redeem them at 1 cent per TYP (such as the Custom Cash or Double Cash) and pool it with your existing card. That will allow you to redeem your TYPs earned on the Sears card through the second card. That should give you $1,100 in cash.

If you add the Citi Rewards+ as well, you'll get a "rebate" of 10% of the TYPs you redeem (although I think that's capped at 100,000 TYPs per year, so you'll be a little over; maybe hold the remainder in reserve and redeem them next year?) That would get you another $100-110. Note that Rewards+ needs to be your third Citi card, not your second; Rewards+ cashes out TYPs at a lower rate if not pooled with a card like the CC or DC, so you need that other card in the mix.
Thanks for the tips.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

deleted- began a new topic.
Last edited by IowaFarmWife on Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
YoungSisyphus

Post by YoungSisyphus »

Has anyone used the M1 "Owner's Card"? 2.5-10% cash back on big brands seems ridiculously good. It seems like the gimmick is to qualify you need to own a share of the company through M1. But they also support fractional shares? I am not sure what the smallest fraction of a share could be to qualify - but seems like it'd be easy to setup. You are capped to $200 in rewards a month but still would be great.

Edit: Their 10% companies are ones I probably wouldn't shop at much, other than maybe Wayfair. Interesting Tesla is on the list - can you buy a Tesla with a credit card? Lol. Other than that, Amazon, cell phone companies and Whole Foods are at 2.5% which is marginally better than a typical 2% card. Not sure it would be worth the hassle.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

Since I already have BOA Platinum Rewards maxed (3 cash cards plus Premium Rewards), and I'm not a high spender or high traveler to justify the big-AF travel cards, it's hard to find any card that will give better benefits or cash back. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now the only thing I could potentially benefit from would be cards with signup bonuses or maybe airline cards that give specific perks. I already have AA card and I'm wary of stacking up multiple airline cards with $100 annual fees. Plus i recently got denied for the Delta card offer because of "credit card history".

It seems like I have nowhere to go unless I can find a no-AF card to churn for $200 which doesn't seem compelling. Does anyone else find that BOA killed their churning opportunity?
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

28fe6 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:14 amDoes anyone else find that BOA killed their churning opportunity?
I've also found that my various BoA cards, with Platinum Honors status, leave little room for finding other cards that add to my credit card portfolio. I do benefit from the Citi Custom Cash, which, when paired with the Citi Rewards+, gives me 5.55% cash back in one category, which I use for groceries since the BoA cards aren't particularly great in that category.

I don't plan to travel anytime soon and have mixed feelings about airline cards, but I might consider a hotel-branded card the next time I make plans to travel.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

FedGuy wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:36 am
28fe6 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:14 amDoes anyone else find that BOA killed their churning opportunity?
I've also found that my various BoA cards, with Platinum Honors status, leave little room for finding other cards that add to my credit card portfolio. I do benefit from the Citi Custom Cash, which, when paired with the Citi Rewards+, gives me 5.55% cash back in one category, which I use for groceries since the BoA cards aren't particularly great in that category.

I don't plan to travel anytime soon and have mixed feelings about airline cards, but I might consider a hotel-branded card the next time I make plans to travel.
I’m still a big fan of the chase sapphire rewards eco-system where I essentially am getting 7.5% cash back on many different types of purchases. But it does come with a $595 fee which effectively can be much lower due to rebates. So far it has been worth it for me.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
tj

Post by tj »

Us bank cash+, I use for 5% back on home utilities and streaming services
arsenal_fan

Post by arsenal_fan »

EnjoyIt wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 11:50 am

I’m still a big fan of the chase sapphire rewards eco-system where I essentially am getting 7.5% cash back on many different types of purchases. But it does come with a $595 fee which effectively can be much lower due to rebates. So far it has been worth it for me.
Feel this system is hard to put together because of 5/24. Is the 7.5% on the rotating categories with one of the cards?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Doesn't that 7.5% return require spending all your Chase Ultimate Reward pts on travel (or whatever the current Pay Yourself Back catagories are)?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

arsenal_fan wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:08 pm

Feel this system is hard to put together because of 5/24. Is the 7.5% on the rotating categories with one of the cards?
I think 3 cards can get you there.
Chase sapphire reserve (obviously)
Chase freedom for the rotating categories
Chase business ink for the 5x for internet and cell phone. Plus some possible office expenses and gift cards there.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732