What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
jballwine

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by jballwine » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:39 am

I have a bunch of cards opened for bonuses, but ultimately here is my strategy:

Amex Schwab Platinum - cashes out MR points with a 25% bonus to my schwab checking account - invest the cash
6.25% on flights and hotels, 2.5% on Uber rides
Keeper for the benefits/perks - I consider this a $0 fee card after credits, lounges, and benefits

Amex Everyday Preferred - 50% point bonus multiplier on all points earned with this card - Add 25% bonus multiplier with schwab Platinum
Groceries 5.25%, Gas/7-11 3.75%, Everything else 1.875%
AF of $95

Amex Blue Cash Preferred - 6% on grocery stores for gift cards/safeway gas cards - max $6000/year
AF of $95

Chase Freedom - 5% on restaurants or mobile wallets, etc at some point of the year to boost yield

Overall with our spending per year, just using the first three Amex cards exclusively in their categories and securing the 50% bonus every month, we get an effective yield of 3.19% back on everything after fees, and have an awesome travel perk card as a bonus.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm

I just received a targeted application for Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.50K signup bonus. I used to have this card, and cancelled over a year ago.

My recollection is that Amex has a once in a lifetime policy for a bonus card, but I don't see that language in the T&C. Does this mean I can apply and get the bonus ? I have too many unused MR points now (I don't like changing to cash), so I'm not that hot on getting more, but if this is a special offer without the once in a lifetime language, I'd go for it since I may not be able to get the bonus again.

gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:18 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm
I just received a targeted application for Amex Premier Rewards Gold Card.50K signup bonus. I used to have this card, and cancelled over a year ago.

My recollection is that Amex has a once in a lifetime policy for a bonus card, but I don't see that language in the T&C. Does this mean I can apply and get the bonus ? I have too many unused MR points now (I don't like changing to cash), so I'm not that hot on getting more, but if this is a special offer without the once in a lifetime language, I'd go for it since I may not be able to get the bonus again.
I'm pretty sure it is once per lifetime.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:31 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm

Apparently Amex now displays a popup warning during the online application process if they determine that you won’t qualify for the signup bonus.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29861437-post21.html

solobuildingblogs

Post by solobuildingblogs » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:50 am

I got the targeted Amex gold premier without the once in a lifetime language. I cancelled the card a few years ago. The bonus just posted last week.

The same thing happened to me last December with the Amex delta gold. I got the signup bonus for the third time on this targeted offer without once in a lifetime language.

Jballwine- if you or anyone else likes Amex mr points get the business blue plus. Two points per dollar for first $50,000 per year. Coupled with your Schwab that’s a nice 2.5% cash back:)

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 am

I got a targeted Amex Business Gold Rewards offer for 75K points after $5K spend in 3 months. I got this bonus 3 years ago but didn't see anything in the T&Cs about once in a lifetime. I applied today and got no popup warning me I was bonus ineligible. Hoping I'll get the bonus again!