[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bengal22

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by bengal22 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:44 pm

Loving Ozark on Netflix. Currently on season 2, 4th episode. What one does for their kids.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

barreg

Post by barreg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:51 pm

Just finished Patriot (2 seasons) and Homecoming on Amazon Prime. Both were very interesting and different.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:14 pm

Finished Season 2 of Ozarks....loved it.

Ed

BobDaBlob

Post by BobDaBlob » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:44 pm

SO and I just started season 8 of Shameless...I will surely miss this when it's done. Definitely one of our all-time faves, right up there with Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Americans...all must-sees in my opinion!

Ozark and Mrs Maisel are queued up...as is final season of Gotham.

Bob
Too much of everything is just enough...

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:09 am

Berlin Station on EPIX is an excellent series. It is as topical as an international intrigue show can be. The series also has strong female characters.

In the same genre, the miniseries The Little Drummer Girl on AMC was a great adaptation of John Le Carre's novel. Another strong heroine is the main character.

DMW

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:09 am
In the same genre, the miniseries The Little Drummer Girl on AMC was a great adaptation of John Le Carre's novel. Another strong heroine is the main character.
Yes, perhaps the best LeCarre adaptation that I've seen, with possible exception of Tinker Tailer movie with Gary Oldham.

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm

Has "Babylon, Berlin" been mentioned ? Fabulous.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 pm

dumbbunny wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:33 pm
The Looming Tower on Hulu. Time well spent.
Oh, and Better Things on Hulu. A very pleasant surprise.
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:38 am

The 20 Best TV Dramas Since ‘The Sopranos’
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... eries.html
Before “The Sopranos,” yes, TV dramas could take risks (“Twin Peaks”) and tell stories about difficult people (“NYPD Blue”). But after the ducks landed in Tony’s backyard pool in January 1999, an immense flock followed. TV series, we saw, could rely on audiences to pay close attention to a long-running story. They could have high visual and narrative ambitions. They could resist quick answers (or any answers, in the case of the Russian from “Pine Barrens”) and tidy moral conclusions.

If “The Sopranos,” which debuted 20 years ago this week, built the ground floor, this list looks at what TV erected on top of it. These are the 20 best drama series to emerge since “The Sopranos,” arranged in chronological order.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:40 am

Отель Элеон, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_jDvavJ030 . An intelligent and funny TV serial with romance, crime, and many comedies of errors taking place in a posh hotel in Moscow. A minor negative: a Boglehead would cringe from the heroes' attitudes to money.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Any comments about A series of Unfortunate Events?

I saw the first episode of season 1 the other night. Looked promising,

I do love the name Lemony Snicket.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:57 pm

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Berlin Station on EPIX is an excellent series. It is as topical as an international intrigue show can be. The series also has strong female characters.

DMW
I watched the first two seasons and enjoyed Berlin Station.

I really liked the first two seasons of Fauda. A lot of action.

I just watched season 1 of The Purge. I liked it. The last Purge movie was awful.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:22 pm

1st season of Travelers on Netflix.... We like it....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 am
I just started Narcos, on Netflix. So far, I like it.

As for The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, I was disappointed with the ending. I cancelled my Hulu subscription.
Correction. After watching all 10 episodes, I just realized this was Narcos: Mexico, on Netflix. :oops:

I was wondering why everything was taking place in Mexico (vs. Colombia) - now I know why. I'll be watching Season 2 as soon as it shows up. I hope the new season is as good as the first. Lots of action, drama, and insight into Spanish as spoken in the local dialect (not family friendly).

Now, back to Season 1 of Narcos.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 pm

So many great shows on the Acorn app (British TV). There are also Australian shows, Welsh shows and even a Dutch show on Acorn. I use subtitles so I can understand their accents. Only $5 a month!

No Offence, Heart Guy, Wire in the Bloos, A Place to Call Home, Keeping Faith, The Moodys, Lord and Master, etc., etc.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:22 pm
So many great shows on the Acorn app (British TV). There are also Australian shows, Welsh shows and even a Dutch show on Acorn. I use subtitles so I can understand their accents. Only $5 a month!

No Offence, Heart Guy, Wire in the Bloos, A Place to Call Home, Keeping Faith, The Moodys, Lord and Master, etc., etc.
I just started watching Heart Guy. Decent show. Entertaining.

Heart Guy is not listed in IMDB. Turns out the show is listed as "Doctor, Doctor."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:17 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:38 pm
LilyFleur wrote:

I just started watching Heart Guy. Decent show. Entertaining.

Heart Guy is not listed in IMDB. Turns out the show is listed as "Doctor, Doctor."
It is good armchair traveling!!

LookinAround

Post by LookinAround » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:29 am

RustyShackleford wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 pm
Dead Man Walking wrote:
Yes, perhaps the best LeCarre adaptation that I've seen, with possible exception of Tinker Tailer movie with Gary Oldham.
I'd also include LeCarre's "The Night Manager". I thought it was excellent. And beautifully shot at locations around the world. It too was riginally on AMC. Now availabl on Amazon streaming

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Just got done with Travelers season 3. Pretty good.

Just started watching The Last Kingdom. Good so far.

Both on Netflix

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

My wife was very sick last week and binge-watched the entire thing (3 seasons I think) in like 5 days. Definitely not my cup of tea, I was bored within 2min each time I tried to watch it with her, but she liked it.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:07 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:56 pm
bertilak wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

My wife was very sick last week and binge-watched the entire thing (3 seasons I think) in like 5 days. Definitely not my cup of tea, I was bored within 2min each time I tried to watch it with her, but she liked it.
Thanks. I may give it one more episode, but I am afraid it will wear on me fast. My wife hasn't suggested we go back to it yet. We are re-watching one episode of Midsomer Murders every night and we would need to skip one night of that to get back to Unfortunate Events. That she would rather watch reruns does not speak well for Unfortunate Events.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm

lostdog wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Both on Netflix
Not sure what to think of the end of Travelers season 3.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:13 pm

Half way through Pine Gap on Netflix. Better than I expected it to be.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:10 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:11 pm
lostdog wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

Both on Netflix
Not sure what to think of the end of Travelers season 3.
I had the same feeling.

rterickson

Post by rterickson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:53 pm

LilyFleur wrote:

Also enjoyed Vera, Good Karma Hospital, and currently watching 800 Words.

MJW

Post by MJW » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm

I tried watching The Expanse on Prime after seeing it recommended. I bailed within the first 15 min. It surprised me because: 1) I rarely bail on a show that quickly and, 2) based on what I had read about the show I expected to like it. I don't know...the vibe just didn't grab me.

Into Season 3 of Bosch now.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 pm

NEW (afaik)PBS- Frontline : South Florida affordable housing providers scam. Dax, Carlyle development. Biggest criminal sentence was one middle aged person w/5 yrs for stealing 34M.
Then individuals have the state pay for higher education while in prison if younger,.....no debt....
:? hmmmm...
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm

MJW wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm
I tried watching The Expanse on Prime after seeing it recommended. I bailed within the first 15 min. It surprised me because: 1) I rarely bail on a show that quickly and, 2) based on what I had read about the show I expected to like it. I don't know...the vibe just didn't grab me.
I understand, the same thing happened to me with Game of Thrones. Did not like the first episode so gave up on it. Happened to randomly watch an episode a couple of years later and got hooked.

Might I suggest you give The Expanse another try? The setting/vibe/characters change considerably after the first episode (or two). It really is the best sci fi show available at the moment.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Just watched first episode of True Detective (season 3) - very suspenseful, highly recommend. (Netflix)

Recommend the Bosch series on Amazon Prime streaming service.
68 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan: 4% WR until age 70, 3% after social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard before that) under various other names

barreg

Post by barreg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am

Finished season 1 of a new series on Amazon Prime, "Informer" and thought it was very good. In some ways, it reminded me of the series "The Night Of", where someone who seems like a really nice guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time and subsequent events really mess with his life.

I also have tried getting into the British espioniage/spy series "The Worricker Trilogy" on Prime, which has an incredible cast, but the dialogue can sometimes be so roundabout that I have a hard time following what the heck the characters are talking about.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am

barreg wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am
Finished season 1 of a new series on Amazon Prime, "Informer" and thought it was very good. In some ways, it reminded me of the series "The Night Of", where someone who seems like a really nice guy is in the wrong place at the wrong time and subsequent events really mess with his life.

I also have tried getting into the British espioniage/spy series "The Worricker Trilogy" on Prime, which has an incredible cast, but the dialogue can sometimes be so roundabout that I have a hard time following what the heck the characters are talking about.
You can watch with subtitles to catch the pieces of dialog you might otherwise miss or gloss over.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

barreg

Post by barreg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:37 pm

Blues wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am
barreg wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:22 am

You can watch with subtitles to catch the pieces of dialog you might otherwise miss or gloss over.
For the Worricker Trilogy, it wasn't the words they were saying that were difficult to understand. It was the fact that the writing is somewhat odd in that they seem to try not to give to much away in the dialogue, and as a result, it makes it harder to figure out what the heck is going on.

Blues

Post by Blues » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:42 pm

Gotcha. It's been a while since we watched that one so I don't recall any particular issues.
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

BigoteGato

Post by BigoteGato » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:18 pm

MKGhandi wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:17 am
Recently I have watched La casa de papel also known as Money Heist - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6468322/
It is one of the most amazing robbery/Heist show I have ever seen. Recently they have announced a third season which I am desperately waiting to watch Here is a complete review for la casa de papel both seasons https://www.ivacy.com/netflix-vpn/la-casa-de-papel
This show was outstanding. They managed a new twist on standard trope. Can’t wait to see what they do for season 3.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:21 pm

The Grand Tour (third season is just starting to "air" on Prime Video). The show is ridiculous, great fun.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:16 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 pm
LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 am
I just started Narcos, on Netflix. So far, I like it.

As for The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu, I was disappointed with the ending. I cancelled my Hulu subscription.
Correction. After watching all 10 episodes, I just realized this was Narcos: Mexico, on Netflix. :oops:

I was wondering why everything was taking place in Mexico (vs. Colombia) - now I know why. I'll be watching Season 2 as soon as it shows up. I hope the new season is as good as the first. Lots of action, drama, and insight into Spanish as spoken in the local dialectw (not family friendly).

Now, back to Season 1 of Narcos.
Halfway through Narcos: Mexico. Loving it. They even work in Escobar and the guys from the Cali cartel.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:05 pm

Great timing. I just finished Season 2 of Narcos. Wow. Season 3 is next...

I'm somewhat following the spoken Spanish. The English is not a literal translation, but as intended meaning.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:21 am

I just saw the 1st two episodes of Ozark. Can't wait to binge on it!
The Last Warrior is really good.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:57 pm

I am in the middle of True Detective, Season 3. It is much better than 2 and is similar in style to 1 with excellent choice of the 3 lead actors.
Concurrently, I finished Season 1 of the Netflix Korean Kingdom with 6 episodes, each about 45 minutes long. If you enjoy zombies (set in the 15th century with royal intrigues), this one is for you. Season 2 is about to start filming.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Starting “House of Cards” final season.
John C. Bogle: "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

You Know What I Mean

Post by You Know What I Mean » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Re-watched Season 3 of "Bosch" on Amazon Prime, followed by Season 4. Outstanding. Regardless of the plots, politics, and corruption, the series perfectly captures the personality of the title character, Detective Harry Bosch, from the novels by Michael Connelly.

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:40 am

Network shows.....!!!
Manifest,This is Us,Sheldon,God Friended Me,The Passage and Gifted.There is a new show,Worlds Best....amazing talents.DVR it and FF through most of the judging nonsense
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

schachtw

Personal favorite TV/cable series

Post by schachtw » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:01 am

[Thread merged into here, see below (next page). --admin LadyGeek]

Just thinking about my favorite TV/Cable/Netflix series.
In no particular order, here’s what I come up with:

Sopranos
Breaking Bad
The Wire
Luther
Sherlock Holmes
Happy Valley
Broad Church
Killing Eve (only 1 season so far)
Shetland
Mossad 101
Fauda
Sneaky Pete

Looking to see what others post.

bloom2708

Re: Personal favorite TV/cable series

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:07 am

The Traveler's (Netflix) stands out for me.

3 seasons. The cast/characters make a show. David/Marcy stand out.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

02nz

Post by 02nz » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 am

The Americans

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:34 am

Detectorists
The Crown

daheld

Post by daheld » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:12 pm

The Andy Griffith Show is the greatest television program of all time. Anyone who disagrees is wrong and this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

Aside from the masterpiece that is TAGS, I really loved Breaking Bad.

I also love a really terrible, predictably tired and worn out network show: NCIS.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Agree with The Andy Griffith Show recommendation. That is quality tv that is entertaining and supports patriotic family values.

FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 pm

02nz wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 am
The Americans

A near perfect series. Sad to see it end.

chipperd

Post by chipperd » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:26 pm

Breaking Bad
Ozark (if you like Breaking Bad def. check it out on Netflix)
Ted Bundy Tapes(just finished up)
Shameless
American Vandal (mockumentary)