Amazon.com Store Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
arsenalfan

Amazon.com Store Card

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:02 pm

I have a Chase Amazon Visa which I use ONLY for 3% back on Amazon purchases.

I found the Amazon Prime Store Card, which is good for 5% back on Amazon. $10 gift card now, no annual fee, I wouldn't use the financing deal.

https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/storecardmember

Reviews here on Credit Karma are ok -most negative ones are about messing up the financing pay dates, and being denied.
https://www.creditkarma.com/reviews/cre ... store-card

Anyone with practical experience and feedback on this?

Kevin M

Re: Amazon.com Store Card

Post by Kevin M » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:06 pm

I just got one, and have used it for a few purchases already. I got a $20 gift card, which was instantly applied to my first purchase using the Amazon Store card.

My Mom has been using one for awhile, and has not reported any problems.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks Kevin. The Google found this analysis by nerdwallet. Given I am a prime member and spent about 7k in 2015, seems a no Brainer for me.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit- ... tore-card/

ericinvest

Post by ericinvest » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:15 pm

I used it for couple of months already. It applies rewards directly as statement credit, and it's straightforward to use. Highly recommend.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:19 pm

Thank you. Was wondering how many hoops redemption required. PTSD from trying to redeem rewards from the early website for the FIA fidelity visa card.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:24 pm

arsenalfan wrote:Thank you. Was wondering how many hoops redemption required. PTSD from trying to redeem rewards from the early website for the FIA fidelity visa card.
That was indeed a pain. You can automate it -- I think I learned that in this very forum.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:27 pm

Yup finally did that. But calling to get the new fidelity usb visa asap, and will stop using my FIA fidelity visa asap - no point since FIA requires $15k in purchases before you get 2% back (and I understand new usb visa is 2% back from the first dollar).

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:39 pm

linenfort wrote:
arsenalfan wrote:Thank you. Was wondering how many hoops redemption required. PTSD from trying to redeem rewards from the early website for the FIA fidelity visa card.
That was indeed a pain. You can automate it -- I think I learned that in this very forum.
I always just transferred my FIA Visa rewards to my FIA AMEX (online), since the reward for that is automatically deposited into my Fidelity brokerage account. That wasn't too difficult. Haven't been using my Fidelity Visa since I got a Capital One Visa, mainly for travel, but also have used it when AMEX not accepted.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

plantdr

Post by plantdr » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:44 pm

I ended up getting a Sallie Mae Barclays Mastercard Card. I have long paid off my students loans, but it is a good credit card that I use very often. You can use it to pay your student loans, but you can also get a statement credit, which is what I do. You get 5% up to $250 in gas and groceries every month (separately, so $500 total). It is my go-to card for gas and groceries until I hit the limit and then it is only 1%. You can also get 5% up to $750 for bookstores. I use it for amazon.com, and because they are listed as a bookstore, I get 5% back on everything. I have Amazon Prime and love it. I have my Barclays card as the only option so that I don't forget to use it. Just wanted to put in my $0.02. They also give you your Fico score for free, which is nice.

Charlotte

TinkerPDX

Post by TinkerPDX » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:48 pm

The UI is atrocious, but for 5%, I say deal with it. That's 3% over our fidelity Amex, and we spend a few thousand at Amazon each year. A few hundred extra each year compounded over a decade or three means a few more days (maybe weeks, months) of retirement! :beer

Specifically, I had an issue with my auto-pay account being entered wrong, which resulted in 2 returned payments (even after it appeared to have been corrected) and they closed my account! But when I called and finally got an agent, she reinstated and was very polite. I was actually shocked at how pleasant she was.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Kevin M wrote: ...Haven't been using my Fidelity Visa since I got a Capital One Visa, mainly for travel, but also have used it when AMEX not accepted.
That's a great card. I have the Quicksilver Cap One Visa (1.5% cash back).

In fact, The Fidelity and Cap One cards are so good for cash back, I haven't bothered with the Amazon card that is the subject of this thread, though I am regularly tempted. I spend more at Amazon than any other single merchant or service, airlines included.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:52 pm

I have both the Chase Amazon card and the Prime Card.
I pretty much use the Prime Card now for the 5% back on purchases.
I don't finance anything.
So far it has been pretty straightforward.
5% back on statement credits.
No hassle. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

denovo

Post by denovo » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Keep in mind you only get 5 percent if you are the primary accountholder on the Prime Account. Secondary members are not eligible.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

miles2go

Post by miles2go » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:47 pm

denovo wrote:Keep in mind you only get 5 percent if you are the primary accountholder on the Prime Account. Secondary members are not eligible.
Was trying to find this in their terms section but didn't find anything. Where do you see that detailed? I'm primary and wife is household prime member... So her purchases wouldn't be 5%, just mine even if we shared a card?
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:52 pm

denovo wrote:Keep in mind you only get 5 percent if you are the primary accountholder on the Prime Account. Secondary members are not eligible.
In my experience this is not true.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:53 pm

What qualifies for the 5% back from Amazon? Is it only items sold directly from Amazon?

ChrisOK

Post by ChrisOK » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:54 pm

Drovor wrote:What qualifies for the 5% back from Amazon? Is it only items sold directly from Amazon?
Pretty sure it's been all purchases on Amazon.com, regardless of the seller. In our 3-4 months having the card I don't think I've seen anything that didn't get the 5%.

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:02 pm

Perfect thank you ChrisOK. Also thank you arsenalfan, been considering Amazon Prime for some time and think it may be a good time to apply.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:04 pm

First off, I *LOVE* this card. We use Amazon a ton, and after only a few months, we already have gotten nearly $100 in rewards. Getting the rewards was simple. I just specified statement credit, and it automatically is applied every month before I get billed. I also use the Fidelity Amex (2% cash back) and the Capital One QuickSilver (1.5% cash back), but this is the best deal I have.
miles2go wrote:
Was trying to find this in their terms section but didn't find anything. Where do you see that detailed? I'm primary and wife is household prime member... So her purchases wouldn't be 5%, just mine even if we shared a card?
My Amazon Prime Store card is in my name, and as soon as I got it I gave it to my wife and she put it in as her primary payment on Amazon. She's used it more than me (Xmas presents and such), and it has been fine. I may have gotten something from Amazon to confirm that it was OK, but I don't remember it being any issue at all.

Steve

denovo

Re:

Post by denovo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:58 am

BusySnevl wrote:First off, I *LOVE* this card. We use Amazon a ton, and after only a few months, we already have gotten nearly $100 in rewards. Getting the rewards was simple. I just specified statement credit, and it automatically is applied every month before I get billed. I also use the Fidelity Amex (2% cash back) and the Capital One QuickSilver (1.5% cash back), but this is the best deal I have.
miles2go wrote:
My Amazon Prime Store card is in my name, and as soon as I got it I gave it to my wife and she put it in as her primary payment on Amazon. She's used it more than me (Xmas presents and such), and it has been fine. I may have gotten something from Amazon to confirm that it was OK, but I don't remember it being any issue at all.

Steve
Right here

http://www.amazon.com/Synchrony-Bank-Am ... store+card

6. Amazon Prime Members get 5% back (as a statement credit) on qualifying purchases made with their Amazon Prime Store Card, an upgrade from their existing Amazon.com Store Card.
Amazon Prime Store Card. On and after 3/1/15, at the time you become both (i) a cardholder of an Amazon.com Store Card and (ii) an Eligible Amazon Prime Member as provided below, you will automatically be upgraded to an Amazon Prime Store Card. Before 3/1/15, if you are both (i) a cardholder of an Amazon.com Store Card and (ii) an Eligible Amazon Prime Member, you will need to visit http://www.amazon.com/storecard and click an ‘Upgrade Now’ button to upgrade to the Amazon Prime Store Card. Eligible Amazon Prime Members may include, in Amazon’s sole discretion: Amazon Prime (excluding invited guests or invited Household members of an Amazon Prime account), Amazon Prime Fresh, Amazon Mom, Amazon Student and trial memberships of Amazon Prime. The Amazon Prime Store Card will be governed by the same Synchrony Bank terms and privacy policy as the Amazon.com Store Card in addition to the 5% back benefit terms described below. If you are an invited guest or invited Household member of an Amazon Prime account, you will need to become an Eligible Amazon Prime Member to upgrade to the Amazon Prime Store Card. You may remain a cardholder of an Amazon Prime Store Card with the 5% back benefit so long as you are an Eligible Amazon Prime Member. Your Amazon Prime Store Card will be changed back to an Amazon.com Store Card if you cease to be an Eligible Amazon Prime Member.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:41 am

Discover and Chase frequently have Amazon as their 5% quarterly bonus category. The recent 10% Chase bonus yielded enough gift cards to get us through this year. Perhaps when (if) they run out I would consider adding an Amazon CC to the stack.

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:38 am

I have the card and use it for all Amazon purchases. It's great other than one thing: Synchrony and Mint are in some sort of fight, and Synchrony blocks Mint out entirely. It's a PITA, but worth it for the 5%.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:54 am

plantdr wrote:I have my Barclays card as the only option so that I don't forget to use it. Just wanted to put in my $0.02. They also give you your Fico score for free, which is nice.
Unfortunately, the Sallie Mae card is not available to new applicants.

Horsefly

Re: Re:

Post by Horsefly » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:07 am

Actually, that policy says only that you can't get an Amazon Prime Store card in your own name if you are only Prime by virtue of being a family member of someone who is Prime. It doesn't address the original question of whether a spouse can use the card for their purchases. Since my wife is making most of the Amazon purchases with my card, I feel somewhat confident that I know the answer to that question. :happy

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks. I knew nothing about this card, but a ton of our shopping is done through Amazon. I just applied and my card is now in the mail.

miles2go

Re: Re:

Post by miles2go » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:21 pm

BusySnevl wrote:
Actually, that policy says only that you can't get an Amazon Prime Store card in your own name if you are only Prime by virtue of being a family member of someone who is Prime. It doesn't address the original question of whether a spouse can use the card for their purchases. Since my wife is making most of the Amazon purchases with my card, I feel somewhat confident that I know the answer to that question. :happy

Thanks, I appreciate (and very much understand :sharebeer) your response
...and [many] miles to go before I retire.

jdouge

Post by jdouge » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Has anyone had trouble withe web interface with this card? I would want to able to download transactions into Quicken. And with that interest rate, I wouldn't want an auto-payment to go haywire.

Also, I am a set-and-forget type. I assume that I can decline to purchase items using 0% financing and/or that when I autopay my balance it would pay for any 0% financed items? I don't mind paying off my entire balance every time through autopay, but I am wary of the autopay not catching an item I did not intend to finance, having its financing period expire between payments, and then I end up paying 25% interest on that item!

Millennial

Post by Millennial » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:03 pm

You select the bonus vs financing option at checkout in amazon, so you don't need to log into the card's site for that.

Auto pay has been working fine for us.

BogleTurtle

Post by BogleTurtle » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:12 pm

jdouge wrote:Has anyone had trouble withe web interface with this card? I would want to able to download transactions into Quicken. And with that interest rate, I wouldn't want an auto-payment to go haywire.

Also, I am a set-and-forget type. I assume that I can decline to purchase items using 0% financing .....
I have it set up with the 5% back as the default option.

jdouge

Post by jdouge » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:47 pm

OK, thanks for the clarifications. I will apply presently!

mediahound

Post by mediahound » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:51 pm

Does anyone have concerns that this card is not issued by one of the major card issuers such as Visa MasterCard or American Express? So you don't get the same consumer protections.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Signed up for it for the $20 gift card. That's all I'll use it for. I have the Sallie Mae Barclay Card. It gives 5% cash back on Amazon purchases.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:31 am

Thanks to OP for starting this thread. DW signed up for Store card for $20 sign up bonus but did not get 5% rewards. I strong-armed AMZN into crediting the account for 5% rewards but did not understand why account was not automatically credited for the 5% since the card is supposed to be automatically upgraded if you are a Prime member.

This thread helped me understand that I did not understand how things worked (sometimes I wonder if things were designed on purpose this way).
I didn't realize (or even remember) that I was the prime Prime member and was the only one who could get the 5% on my own. I didn't fully realize that there was an Amazon.com Store Card as well as an Amazon Prime Store Card and that the lesser Amazon.com card could only get the extended financing but not the 5%. DW, since she was not the prime Prime member only got the lesser Amazon.com card, no 5%, and no statements arrived in the mail even though it was requested and confirmed.............my conspiratorial theory is that this is designed to get you to pay late or get you into the extended financing so you are surprised by large charges after 6,12,or 24 mos .(source of many online complaints).

Sounds like the solution is to use the prime Prime member's Amazon Prime Store Card (not yours if you have the lesser .com card) for both members of the household and just take the $20 signup bonus for the non-prime Prime member's card but stop using it after the bonus is used up.
So again thanks to OP and to the others who provided much enlightenment for me and others.

RichardMW3

Post by RichardMW3 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:55 pm

Has anyone been able to download transactions into Quicken?
I have seen other web postings that say it is difficult to impossible.
I will not use this card if I can't track my Quicken purchases.
jdouge wrote:Has anyone had trouble withe web interface with this card? I would want to able to download transactions into Quicken. And with that interest rate, I wouldn't want an auto-payment to go haywire.

Also, I am a set-and-forget type. I assume that I can decline to purchase items using 0% financing and/or that when I autopay my balance it would pay for any 0% financed items? I don't mind paying off my entire balance every time through autopay, but I am wary of the autopay not catching an item I did not intend to finance, having its financing period expire between payments, and then I end up paying 25% interest on that item!

prudent

Post by prudent » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:28 pm

RichardMW3 wrote:Has anyone been able to download transactions into Quicken?
I don't have the card to test this but I found a walkthrough on the quicken community site for bringing in transactions.

https://qlc.intuit.com/questions/114365 ... -synchrony

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:34 pm

If you're really serious about using the 5% cash back on this card, you should also sign up for auto-deliveries of common things you use around the house, like cat food, paper towels, razor blades, etc., using Amazon's "Subscribe & Save" program. Prime members get an additional 5% back on these items, and if you subscribe to 5 or more items at a time, its jumps to 15%. That's a pretty good deal when you combine it with the 5% back you're already getting.

tschaefges

Post by tschaefges » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:19 pm

RichardMW3 wrote:Has anyone been able to download transactions into Quicken?
I was able to add mine to Quicken 2016 yesterday without any problems. "Amazon.com Store Card - Synchrony" is one of the financial institution choices when adding a new credit card. Transactions downloaded normally.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:01 pm

I highly recommend the card if you use Amazon a lot. Automatic statement credit. Log on and pay the bill. Easy. Have had it over a year.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:14 pm

I've had it for nearly a year and mostly like it, except:
--periodically I can't pay online from my Mac using Firefox; Safari payments vanish (finally got the Windows laptop working again, so I have backup)
--after accidentally ordering a Kindle book, I immediately cancelled but wound up having to call to get it credited, which took nearly a week

I have two other store cards from Synchrony (Lowe's and Belk), and I've always had great customer service via phone with those, but the phone support for the Amazon store card is abysmal. Very highly accented English (and I work with people from many nations, so my ear is usually pretty well tuned to different accents) and not terribly knowledgeable or helpful. Getting incorrect charges corrected is a PITA. I now pull my statement up weekly to look for problems. Still, the 5% is pretty much worth it, because when other cards offer 5%, they often do so during the same quarter as one another.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:48 pm

bayview wrote:I've had it for nearly a year and mostly like it, except:
--periodically I can't pay online from my Mac using Firefox; Safari payments vanish (finally got the Windows laptop working again, so I have backup)
--after accidentally ordering a Kindle book, I immediately cancelled but wound up having to call to get it credited, which took nearly a week

I have two other store cards from Synchrony (Lowe's and Belk), and I've always had great customer service via phone with those, but the phone support for the Amazon store card is abysmal. Very highly accented English (and I work with people from many nations, so my ear is usually pretty well tuned to different accents) and not terribly knowledgeable or helpful. Getting incorrect charges corrected is a PITA..................................
Try calling a slightly different toll free number.............I believe it is 1 higher than the number on the card which ends in 79? If so, then try the same
number but ending in 80 instead. I think that (usually) gets you to reps in the US where at least you won't have a language barrier. I've found it
helpful.

bayview

Post by bayview » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:01 am

kaneohe wrote:Try calling a slightly different toll free number.............I believe it is 1 higher than the number on the card which ends in 79? If so, then try the same number but ending in 80 instead. I think that (usually) gets you to reps in the US where at least you won't have a language barrier. I've found it helpful.
Wow, I've never heard that one! Part of me can't way to try it, except of course that it means that I would have another credit card statement problem. :D thanks
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:27 am

bayview wrote:
kaneohe wrote:Try calling a slightly different toll free number.............I believe it is 1 higher than the number on the card which ends in 79? If so, then try the same number but ending in 80 instead. I think that (usually) gets you to reps in the US where at least you won't have a language barrier. I've found it helpful.
Wow, I've never heard that one! Part of me can't way to try it, except of course that it means that I would have another credit card statement problem. :D thanks
Actually you could just try it just to see if it works (usually). When the rep answers, you can just tell them how much you like the card.
btw............I got that magic number from a person when I called the number on the card and got so frustrated I demanded to speak to
a supe in the US. I suspect the US doesn't work 24hrs/day and the other side picks up when they are away.

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Never noticed this Amazon Store credit card... We were using the regular Amazon Rewards credit card, but 5% is better than 3% for sure. My wife and I just applied, as we're heavy Amazon Prime customers. Thank you for opening this thread.

I was a bit surprised by the low credit limit we got though ($2900), although I don't see that this could be a problem.

noraz123

Post by noraz123 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:17 pm

siamond wrote:Never noticed this Amazon Store credit card
I didn't know about this either. I, too, just applied. The limit seems low, but I have never spent even close to $2900 at Amazon in a month.

OP - thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:57 pm

Happy to have helped some folks out.
I remain surprised this is not better advertised from Amazon.
5% is a really good promotion, and they would get a lot of business.

bayview

Post by bayview » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:21 am

siamond wrote:Never noticed this Amazon Store credit card... We were using the regular Amazon Rewards credit card, but 5% is better than 3% for sure. My wife and I just applied, as we're heavy Amazon Prime customers. Thank you for opening this thread.

I was a bit surprised by the low credit limit we got though ($2900), although I don't see that this could be a problem.
That's not that unusual for an initial CL on a store card. They increased mine after 2-3 months.

Granted, we were remodeling a 95-year-old house and put a ton of kitchen appliances and bathroom fixtures on it. :D

edit: now that I think about it, Lowes issued a really high CL initially (and also increased it.) I guess an average purchase at Lowes tends to be a lot higher than one at Amazon.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:02 am

siamond wrote:I was a bit surprised by the low credit limit we got though ($2900), although I don't see that this could be a problem.
As stated above, it's a store card and lower limits are not uncommon for such cards. You can always call and request a limit increase if you really want one. Mine was issued with a $6K limit which isn't a bad starting limit for this card but low compared to my other cards. I called and requested an increase to get it in line with my other cards.

navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:07 pm

I just signed up for the card and I got some junk mail I usually would just throw away, but I actually read it. Apparently by signing up for the card, you sign up for a Card Security program that covers your bill in case of disability and other things at a cost of $1.66 per $100 balance even if paid off in full. It looks easy enough to cancel this service, but I dont remember anywhere in the sign up program that this was an opt-in program vice an opt-out. Maybe I signed up too hastily, but I just wanted to share with others so they're not as surprised as I was.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:15 pm

navyasw02 wrote:I just signed up for the card and I got some junk mail I usually would just throw away, but I actually read it. Apparently by signing up for the card, you sign up for a Card Security program that covers your bill in case of disability and other things at a cost of $1.66 per $100 balance even if paid off in full. It looks easy enough to cancel this service, but I dont remember anywhere in the sign up program that this was an opt-in program vice an opt-out. Maybe I signed up too hastily, but I just wanted to share with others so they're not as surprised as I was.

Hmm. Not me. Just checked two statements. No where for the fee to hide... purchases minus 5% credit = statement balance. No line item for the fee.

kaneohe

Post by kaneohe » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:30 am

TOJ wrote:
navyasw02 wrote:I just signed up for the card and I got some junk mail I usually would just throw away, but I actually read it. Apparently by signing up for the card, you sign up for a Card Security program that covers your bill in case of disability and other things at a cost of $1.66 per $100 balance even if paid off in full. It looks easy enough to cancel this service, but I dont remember anywhere in the sign up program that this was an opt-in program vice an opt-out. Maybe I signed up too hastily, but I just wanted to share with others so they're not as surprised as I was.

Hmm. Not me. Just checked two statements. No where for the fee to hide... purchases minus 5% credit = statement balance. No line item for the fee.
I didn't see any fees like that either.