Turbo Tax Deluxe status w/ schedules

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishboat

Turbo Tax Deluxe status w/ schedules

Post by fishboat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:29 am

Some will probably remember Intuit's "faux pas" last year with eliminating schedules C D E & F from the Deluxe version. Due to customer backlash (I think) they caved during the tax season and added them back into the Deluxe version.

In Nov 2014, due to their change. I canceled my auto-buy every year membership.

A couple days ago I received a TT mailing with CD containing the software for 2015. Fortunately they didn't auto-charge charge my credit card.

Does anyone know if the Deluxe version for year 2015 contains schedules C D E & F? I just checked their "compare versions" page and it doesn't offer any insight. I think (?) the compare page once explicitly stated the schedules were in the deluxe version..now they don't mention them...though they use some "additional help" & "extra guidance" language alluding to them in the Premier version. It's unclear what, specifically, that means.

livesoft

Re: Turbo Tax Deluxe status w/ schedules

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:37 am

I don't know the answer and I don't think it will be forthcoming from Intuit ever. So we have to find someone knowledgeable about the software and who actually owns it. Furthermore, we will need more than one person to comment in order to compare. And it will be most helpful if those people have screen captures to post as well. This kind of thing is never done in the major media outlets who review the software and I wonder why not?

For example, I think probably all the tax forms are available in "Forms view" and one can type in numbers. The real question is whether the EasyStep dialogs are available. The EasyStep dialogs changed between 2013 and 2014 as far as Schedule C income goes for sure.

I'll give you another Intuit bit of trickery: In my area TurboTax is mostly sold with one free state return, too. The problem is that most people in Texas will not need to file a state return because Texas does not have a state return. The local big box stores (BestBuy, OfficeDepot, Target, …) do not display the lower cost TurboTax without State return prominently, but do display prominently the more expensive and useless versions. This is a nice marketing nudge to increase profits.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:10 am

If Intuit is still being obtuse with which schedules are in which version, perhaps it's time to try H&R Block or TaxAct.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 am

tuningfork wrote:If Intuit is still being obtuse with which schedules are in which version, perhaps it's time to try H&R Block or TaxAct.
Maybe, but last year I downloaded free TaxAct and tried to use it. I found that it did not have all Schedules that I needed unless I paid another $10. And then another $10 and then another …. Well, you get the idea.

In the end I got TurboTax Premier for free with everything I needed. The key was patience and waiting to buy until a deal came out. So it is like a game of Chicken with Intuit. No one should buy until they drop their pants.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:42 am

fishboat wrote:Some will probably remember Intuit's "faux pas" last year with eliminating schedules C D E & F from the Deluxe version. Due to customer backlash (I think) they caved during the tax season and added them back into the Deluxe version.

A couple days ago I received a TT mailing with CD containing the software for 2015. Fortunately they didn't auto-charge charge my credit card.

Does anyone know if the Deluxe version for year 2015 contains schedules C D E & F? I just checked their "compare versions" page and it doesn't offer any insight. I think (?) the compare page once explicitly stated the schedules were in the deluxe version..now they don't mention them...though they use some "additional help" & "extra guidance" language alluding to them in the Premier version. It's unclear what, specifically, that means.
I also got the mailing. Have you installed it? I don't believe its "usable" unless you give them a credit card number. My understanding is they have restored all the functionality to Deluxe that was there previously. Can I cite a reference to that? Unfortunately, NO. My guess is if you install it and are unhappy they will refund your money

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:10 am

pshonore wrote:
fishboat wrote:Some will probably remember Intuit's "faux pas" last year with eliminating schedules C D E & F from the Deluxe version. Due to customer backlash (I think) they caved during the tax season and added them back into the Deluxe version.

I also got the mailing. Have you installed it? I don't believe its "usable" unless you give them a credit card number. My understanding is they have restored all the functionality to Deluxe that was there previously. Can I cite a reference to that? Unfortunately, NO. My guess is if you install it and are unhappy they will refund your money
I haven't installed it, but I too assume that if/when I do, there will be a credit card number involved.

I did just lookup the reviews on Amazon. Intuit was burned at the stake in the reviews last year when they pulled the schedules out..thousands of reviews as I remember.. The reviews today, just 18 so far for 2015, sort of kind of suggest the schedules are back, but it's still fuzzy. Intuit makes the statement "Good News. For those affected by product changes last year - your forms are back!" but then fails to really say what that means in the rest of the text. Some of the reviews suggest the schedules are there..??

FWIW..the Amazon price is $49.99. Inuit's website has it for $59.99 with a note that this is discounted from $69.99. Their note also states there will be a price increase on 3/18/16..presumably to the $69.99. Sooo...maybe the forms are back and they're taking the path of "the forms are back, but we'll be raising the price and we're giving everyone fair warning...". Seems like an expected Marketing approach after getting flamed last year with an approach they hoped would work without much blow-back.

Carl53

Post by Carl53 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:30 am

I see that Intuit is cagey on their comparison website, not stating what schedules are included but that the premier will "•Track cost basis and capital gains".

http://www.quicken.com/compare

EDIT: the link above is not for TT but quicken. oops.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:42 pm

According to this link at Amazon

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G ... 72166_.png

All versions of TT (Basic, Deluxe, Premier, etc) support all forms. YMMV.

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm

If I recall from last year or maybe the year before that the schedules were different between the download vs. the CD of the same name or am I not recalling it correctly?

I used TT last year more so because of momentum. Told myself I may switch this year, but than again I'm lazy and know what to expect from TT, momentum may win again :oops:
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:45 pm

dbCooperAir wrote:If I recall from last year or maybe the year before that the schedules were different between the download vs. the CD of the same name or am I not recalling it correctly?
I think the download and CD versions were identical. Perhaps it was the online versions that were different.

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Intuit sent an email earlier this year indicating they had strong customer feedback about last years change and were going back to the previous setup.

I have downloaded my TT Deluxe for 2015. I went into the software and manually entered a capital gainstransaction which the software handled (it did offer to let me spend $30 extra for premier for basis tracking) but it appears to work as it did last year and correctly handle the capital gains transaction and carried it onto the 1040

Mike

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:57 pm

@fabdog, thanks for the report. Let me ask a couple of questions about TT 2015 Deluxe:

1. Will Deluxe allow one to download from vendor's the 1099-B forms, so that one does not have to type the information in?

2. When you wrote "manually entered", was that in the EasyStep or in the Form view mode?

Thanks!

And a couple of bonus question:

3. Does Deluxe have an EasyStep for Schedule C?

4. Does Deluxe have a Forms view for Schedule C?

Double thanks!

fabdog

Post by fabdog » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:21 pm

1. Will Deluxe allow one to download from vendor's the 1099-B forms, so that one does not have to type the information in?
Yes, it offered that up first, but since none of my 1099's are ready I went for Manual Entry.

2. When you wrote "manually entered", was that in the EasyStep or in the Form view mode? In easystep mode, it gave me the various types of entries (type A, b etc) to select from and when I picked one then went to that screen. I was not in forms view

Thanks!

And a couple of bonus question:

3. Does Deluxe have an EasyStep for Schedule C? I went thru easysteps to a business and it offered me turbotax home and business for "extra guidance", extra help on home office deduction, and help preparing 1099's and W-2's for employees. I turned that down, and it started an interview with me about the business, name, ownership, do I have an EIN, etc.

4. Does Deluxe have a Forms view for Schedule C? Yes, switched to forms view and had a schedule C started from my answers i gave in the easystep

Hope that helps

Mike

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:58 pm

I've been using TT for years and the CD and download versions have "Form view" for every Form produced. (That does not mean you can directly input everything into all Forms without overriding; Form 1040 fields usually come from other forms or worksheets as an example)

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:06 pm

fabdog wrote: Hope that helps

Mike
That helps immensely! Thanks! It appears to me from your answers that TT Deluxe 2015 is just like TT Deluxe 2013. (I do not have TT Deluxe 2014 to comment on that version.)

fishboat

Post by fishboat » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:11 pm

It seems the overall takeaway is:

1) that TT Deluxe 2015 does contain the schedules that past versions had (2013, 2014-amended after they added them back in in Jan-Feb of 2015)
2) the (non-3rd party) consumer price will increase on 3/18/16 (likely to $69.99)
3) the tri-fold CD mailer Intuit is sending out to former users (like me) is priced at $59.99
4) Amazon has Deluxe in CD format at $49.99..it appears Intuit has assigned a product manager to monitor & reply back on current Amazon reviews that are less than stellar(3 Intuit replies today).

thx for the input folks..