Replacing tires. Should I also replace Tire Pressure Sensors? (2008 model year Honda)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mr_breen

Replacing tires. Should I also replace Tire Pressure Sensors? (2008 model year Honda)

Post by mr_breen »

I have a 2008 Honda Accord (4 cyl LX-P) with very low mileage (10K.) Due to the age of tires, I have decided to have all 4 tires replaced with Michelin Premier A/S tires.

I am having the work done at Costco and am debating whether I should have the Tire Pressure Monitoring Sensors replaced in all 4 tires. Costco told me that those sensor batteries last between 5 and 8 years. This car is right on the outer edge of that threshold.

The only problem is the sensors cost $65/tire installed. There are no problems with the sensors currently. Has anyone had this done proactively?

The only reason I am considering this is that when the sensor batteries eventually die, it will require dismounting the tires to replace, so it may make sense to get it all done when I replace the tires now. Costco told me that the sensor units have permanent batteries and that when the battery fails the entire sensor must be replaced.
denovo

Re: Replacing tires. Should I also replace Tire Pressure Sensors? (2008 model year Honda)

Post by denovo »

mr_breen wrote:I have a 2008 Honda Accord (4 cyl LX-P) with very low mileage (10K.) Due to the age of tires, I have decided to have all 4 tires replaced with Michelin Premier A/S tires.
What does this mean? Did you measure the tread count? Was it less than 3/32 of an inch? Is the tread uneven? I don't see any reason to replace the tires otherwise. Age by itself isn't a good reason to replace.

Are you sure it's not $64 for all 4 tires. That number sounds wrong.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
bubbadog

Re: Replacing tires. Should I also replace Tire Pressure Sensors? (2008 model year Honda)

Post by bubbadog »

Age is a factor when considering tire replacement. Most people only think of the amount of tread left but the rubber degrades with time. I am not saying that tires on a 2008 model are unsafe due to their age, but age is a factor.
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

$65/tire doesn't sound right. If I remember right, it was like $12/tire on my 2008 Honda Pilot.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

Last year I had all four tires replaced on a 2008 compact.

The invoice from America's Tire lists a "TPMS Rebuild" fee of $4 per tire.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Dutch wrote:Last year I had all four tires replaced on a 2008 compact.

The invoice from America's Tire lists a "TPMS Rebuild" fee of $4 per tire.
Pretty sure Costco charges 16 per tire. I think he misread it and took it as 64 per tire.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
mr_breen

Post by mr_breen »

denovo wrote:
mr_breen wrote:I have a 2008 Honda Accord (4 cyl LX-P) with very low mileage (10K.) Due to the age of tires, I have decided to have all 4 tires replaced with Michelin Premier A/S tires.
What does this mean? Did you measure the tread count? Was it less than 3/32 of an inch? Is the tread uneven? I don't see any reason to replace the tires otherwise. Age by itself isn't a good reason to replace.

Sorry, I should have included more background on this issue. Essentially, I am replacing the tires based on a number of recommendations I received in another BH thread I posted regarding this car:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=171522

If you look in that thread and scroll down a bit, you will see pictures of the tires. The tires are rather cracked and dry rotted and seem somewhat unsafe. I will be driving this car on the highway, so given the condition of the current tires, I would feel better replacing them.

With regards to the tire pressure monitors: I think you may be confusing a rebuild of some of the rubber parts of the sensor with replacing the sensor itself. Most tire shops offer a rebuild of the rubber parts that wear out on a tire pressure sensor for a few dollars a sensor.

I am pretty sure the sensor must be an expensive device given it's function.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Just out of curiosity, do the sensors have to be replaced or can they just be removed? I find them a huge pain with way too many false alarms.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
verbose

Post by verbose »

I don't buy it. I'm guessing the Costco tire salespeople have practiced this pitch in team meetings.

You are a person who is so scrupulous about maintenance that you replace tires with sufficient tread due to age (which is not wrong, but it's different than the person who is there because she had a horrific drive in the snow and afterward realized the tires are bald!).

I have a 2008 Honda Civic with recently replaced tires (due to tread wear, note the above about snow driving). My independent mechanic didn't mention the tire sensors and they are still functional.
MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything »

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki
AE81

Post by AE81 »

I believe the sensors are switched on by the rotation of the tires, otherwise they are off. So with only 10k on the car I would guess the batteries have lots of life left.
java

Post by java »

OP is correct that the original sensors have a service life as they contain a battery that cant be replaced.
I bought new tires for my 2010 accord and Costco more less said the same thing as OP reports. I too was leery and placed a call to my brother in law who runs his own shop. He said it is legit and that at 5 years you are close to the max. He did advise that $65 was better than he could buy them from Honda parts desk. In the end I reused the old ones because I am not too worried.
My brother in law claims that many folks are blind sided by this and believe it is a shop scam to make money. Apparently , if you read your owners manual it spells all this out.
OP is not getting scammed.
TheGreyingDuke

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

In some jurisdictions, you cannot pass annual inspection if the TPMS light is on, which it would be if you did not have operational sensors.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I would not. I don't know how old you are, but many of us would be very comfortable checking air pressure periodically ourselves. If you go this route, continue until the current ones fail (Mine were working when I traded a ten year old automobile) and then have the light indicating a tire is low turned off.

Tim
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Deleted
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

I would replace them. I bought a set of 4 sensors online from I think Bernardi Honda for like $100 and took them to the shop I had mount the tires. They did have to be programmed but the shop didn't charge to install or program them. I figure I am good to go until I need tires again.
nanoanalyzer

Post by nanoanalyzer »

What a racket. I wonder who got paid off by ABC TPMS Manufacturing Company and XYZ Tire Changer Incorporated to put this into law, with no enforcement besides a handful of states with inspection.

I own 3 sets of wheels for the 2 of my cars that have TPMS. Only one set even has sensors, the factory wheels for one of the cars. Save your money, unless you have to pass inspection. In that case, maybe even take apart the dashboard and remove the bulb. Black tape is too obvious. Frankly, you'll ignore the light after a while.
"If you think stocks are like physics, you believe there must be smart people who can measure exactly where the Dow Jones Industrial Average will be in five months." -Morgan Housel
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I bought a car with a bad sensor - the body had broken loose and rattled around within the tire and destroyed it. The TPMS system is yet another .gov mandated nanny that does more harm than good.

So I had all the sensors removed and replaced with regular valve stems when I got a fresh set of tires. However, the TPMS system will remain active and you'll have a constant light on your dash. I put a piece of black electrical tape over the light to make it go away :mrgreen:
victorb

Post by victorb »

The below url is from the Honda Accord forum and goes into detail on the Tire Pressure Monitoring System. The sensors are old and the batteries cannot be changed. If it were my car, I would certainly change the sensors for the peace of mind and hassle. If you have tons of time and less money, let the sensors fail as they will and change them accordingly. The price from Costco did not sound out of line.

Honda TPMS
OAG

Post by OAG »

Nowizard wrote:I would not. I don't know how old you are, but many of us would be very comfortable checking air pressure periodically ourselves. If you go this route, continue until the current ones fail (Mine were working when I traded a ten year old automobile) and then have the light indicating a tire is low turned off.

Tim
+1 I know this may be a convenience to some but this used to be a simple thing to do; check your tires air pressure yourself. Of course you have to pay some change or buy your own small air compressor.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

I started getting errors on mine (2008 Suburban) and after doing some research found out typical life is 7-8 years. One tire went out, then about a month later another tire went out. I ordered and replaced them myself, have two for the other tires, and they just started showing errors, about 2-3 weeks apart. Replacing the other two is this weekend's project.

I would guess what people see most of the time on their invoice stating TPMS rebuild is simply replacing the stem but using the same sensor, standard practice to replace the stem even prior to TPMS. The stem just has a small screw that holds the sensor in place. The sensors themselves are probably on the order of $30-40/each, then with labor, etc would not be surprised if that is an accurate cost. With the low mileage that you have, probably unlikely needed. I'm pushing 125k so not surprised they went out, was more surprised how they all went out consistently near the same time.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

OP, I think I would replace them if their age is in line with what your owner's manual says regarding their life. I would look into whether the mileage of the car is a factor in the sensor battery life. I would also factor in how long you expect your new tires to last based on your expected miles per year.

As a side note, I check and adjust my tire pressure regularly. The value of a TPMS to me is early warning of an impending flat while on the highway.
Johno

Post by Johno »

mr_breen wrote:
denovo wrote:
Sorry, I should have included more background on this issue. Essentially, I am replacing the tires based on a number of recommendations I received in another BH thread I posted regarding this car:

If you look in that thread and scroll down a bit, you will see pictures of the tires. The tires are rather cracked and dry rotted and seem somewhat unsafe.
With regards to the tire pressure monitors: I think you may be confusing a rebuild of some of the rubber parts of the sensor with replacing the sensor itself.
Yes perhaps some are confusing replacing the rubber seal or stem with the sensor itself. But $65/wheel still seems sort of high.

I replaced the tires, sensors (and also wheels, but that was for cosmetic reasons, finish was corroding) on my 2005 Lexus GX last year before selling it to my son. The tires had plenty of tread, but various car manufacturers and other assorted experts (as well as tire sellers though latter have a vested interest of course) recommend replacing tires at 6-10yrs regardless of tread wear. My car had been driven moderately (~60k mi in 9.5 yrs with a light touch) and kept in a garage most of the time (direct sunlight is bad for tires) and the tires looked basically OK as well as having plenty of tread, but I thought 'better safe'. On that car they say the sensors last ~10yrs and all 4 were still good but didn't seem likely to be worth waiting and having to remove the new tires again to replace them. I can't take seriously a suggestion to have inoperative TPMS sensors to save a few bucks replacing them.

Anyway the sensors cost $31.35 each at 'Partsgeek.com'. Costco was willing to install them along with the reconditioned wheels from another web vendor, and the tires I bought from Costco, for their regular installation fee, which IIRC was supposed to be a few bucks extra for sensor installation though I later noticed they neglected to include it.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Nothing stops you from driving with the TPMS light on. Replace the sensors when they fail. You can monitor tire pressure the old fashion way until you do. The sensors don't automatically make your car safer.

I had America's Tires recondition mine for a few bucks each at last tire change. At $65 each, I wouldn't have bothered.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

I just replaced a bad TMPS sensor on my wife's 2008 Audi A-3. OP is correct. You can expect about 8 years of life. A complete TPMS sensor will cost north of $65. The TMPS re- build, which Costco recommends consists of an "o" ring and one other small part replacement and runs around $10 per tire.

Replacing all TMPS sensors when replacing tires on an eight year old car is probably a good idea.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Interesting and timely thread. I have a five year old car - a 2011 Subaru Legacy - and I need new tires within the next couple of months. I haven't given a thought to the pressure sensors. I've figured out what tires I want, but I'll have to do a little research to figure out what I should do regarding the sensors. I don't even know what the Subaru system is like.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson