Save $$$ On Razor Blades

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
powermega

Save $$$ On Razor Blades

Post by powermega » Wed May 06, 2015 11:30 am

This is one of those situations where I want to share information about a product that has really worked well for me.

Shaving is a big deal for me. I'm a bald guy who has to shave everything from the neck up 2-4 times per week. In the past, I would go through a lot of razors, replacing one every 2-3 weeks. After that, the razors were dull enough that they hurt to use. Electric razors never felt good, especially on my scalp, and take too long to use. Buying generic razors was a waste of money, which I learned the hard way. The name brand razors (Gillette Mach 5 in my case) are $3-$4 each; expensive.

The biggest issue with dull blades is that they rust, corrode, and have "gunk" stuck to the blade after use. Along comes RazorPit. I have the Original version, and have been using it for almost a year now. I must say that it works really well. A couple of additional things... I also dunk the razor after using the RazorPit in a small cup of 95% rubbing alcohol to help remove the water from the blades and sanitize the blades. I store the razor in a drawer in my bathroom where it can remain dry, and not keep it in the shower. Here is another link to a recommendation of doing exactly what I just outlined, but using an old pair of jeans as the blade sharpener, instead of the RazorPit. I like the RazorPit for the convenience, being able to take it in the shower with me, and for the fact that I believe the silicone compound it is made out of really is a good material for cleaning the blades. There are other similar products out there too.

The result? I have been using the same razor blade for the last eight months. It still doesn't feel dull. Just used it this morning!
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

acanthurus

Re: Save $$$ On Razor Blades

Post by acanthurus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

Removed
Last edited by acanthurus on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:43 pm

I don't use alcohol, but I do run the blades over a coarse towel that I have in my bathroom. My blades last about 4-5 months.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed May 06, 2015 12:52 pm

I don't do any of that and get a Mach 5 to last 3 to 4 months so it only comes out to less than $12/year. But then again, I don't shave my scalp and for six months of the year, I only shave the lower neck due to a beard. I never thought about sharpening the razor with a strop so I might have to try that and see if I can go even longer between new blades.

Topic Author
powermega

Post by powermega » Wed May 06, 2015 1:04 pm

acanthurus wrote:What percent of the longevity extension do you attribute to the alcohol rinse vs. the sharpener/strop device?
It's hard to say. I think they're both key. The sharpener will remove gunk off of the razor edge well, but it's also key to get the blades dry. I use alcohol since it's fast and easy for getting most of the water off of the blades.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 » Wed May 06, 2015 1:33 pm

About 3 years ago, I took to wet shaving with a safety razor. I shave 3 times a week. Best shave I've ever gotten:

Up front costs:

Safety Razor: $5 from an antique store. After cleaning and polishing, it looked like new.
Badger-hair Brush: $9 from Amazon.com (SimplyBeautiful Shaving Brush)
Soap: $7.50 from Amazon.com (Proraso, eucalyptus & menthol. Comes in its own bowl and lasts me close to 6 months)
Razors: $20 for a variety pack of 100 razors. (I use 1 razor a week - $20 lasts me almost 2 years of shaves. )

Ongoing costs:

Soap: $7.50 every 6-8 months for soap.
Razors: $10 for a 100 pack of Astra Plantinum double-edged safety razors (1 razor a week for the perfect shave)

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Wed May 06, 2015 1:43 pm

I use generic disposables and shave every other day. A quick rinse, shake and blow off any excess water is all I do and each blade lasts about a month, twelve bucks a year. Can't get much cheaper than that. I used to take a blow drier to them and sometimes got 2-3 months use each, but decided it wasn't worth the effort to save a few pennies.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Wed May 06, 2015 1:55 pm

I save a ton on razor blades by buying a bunch of Mach 3 disposables from an independent local pharmacy on Small Business Saturday. The packs of 3 are usually priced around $10, so I get them almost for free. With multiple Amex's and multiple authorized user cards, I can really stock up for next to nothing.

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Thu May 07, 2015 10:42 am

rbrown599 wrote:About 3 years ago, I took to wet shaving with a safety razor.
A DE? Safety razor is a broad classification that includes cartridge razors.

I don't shave my scalp so I don't know what it's like using a DE for that but it's what I use for shaving my face and neck. Even buying "pricey" blades costs me $30 for 100 blades and 1 blade will last me about a week. How long one can use a given blade will vary. I suspect they wouldn't last as long for head shaving, generally speaking.

I don't recall how long carts would last me but I was spending significantly more than $30 for basically 2 years and getting worse shaves.

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Thu May 07, 2015 11:21 pm

rbrown599 wrote:About 3 years ago, I took to wet shaving with a safety razor. I shave 3 times a week. Best shave I've ever gotten:

Up front costs:

Safety Razor: $5 from an antique store. After cleaning and polishing, it looked like new.
Soap: $7.50 from Amazon.com (Proraso, eucalyptus & menthol. Comes in its own bowl and lasts me close to 6 months)
Razors: $20 for a variety pack of 100 razors. (I use 1 razor a week - $20 lasts me almost 2 years of shaves. )

Ongoing costs:

Razors: $10 for a 100 pack of Astra Plantinum double-edged safety razors (1 razor a week for the perfect shave)
+1. This.

The best shave you can get is a double-edge (safety) razor shave. I use those same blades (Astra Platinum). A pack lasts forever. I use Speick soap. A stick lasts forever. I face-lather and don't use a brush anymore. My razor was my one splurge, a Merkur Futur. It has long since paid for itself, though, given that I am no longer paying for those ridiculous, gimmicky multi-blade cartridges and those horrible, skin-drying aerosol gels and foams.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri May 08, 2015 6:59 am

M_to_the_G wrote: +1. This.

The best shave you can get is a double-edge (safety) razor shave. I use those same blades (Astra Platinum). A pack lasts forever. I use Speick soap. A stick lasts forever. I face-lather and don't use a brush anymore. My razor was my one splurge, a Merkur Futur. It has long since paid for itself, though, given that I am no longer paying for those ridiculous, gimmicky multi-blade cartridges and those horrible, skin-drying aerosol gels and foams.
I heard that for ages as well and took the plunge with a safety razor. As noted in my thread on how I lowered my shavings costs (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=161400&p=2432052#p2422804), the safety razor simply was NOT for me due to the amount of irritation it caused on my neck.

I'll admit the shave was super close and irritation-free on my face, but my neck? Completely unacceptable. The Dorco Pace 3 cartridge razor all the way for me. Quick, smooth, zero irritation, and inexpensive.

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Fri May 08, 2015 7:05 am

+1 on the DE safety razor....great shave and very economical.

Since I only shave about 3x per week I use the same blade for a while. I bought a variety pack of blades a couple of years ago to figure out which I liked. I am still going through them. I found a couple of blades I like but I have so many of the other blades left that I don't need to restock.
M_to_the_G wrote:
rbrown599 wrote:About 3 years ago, I took to wet shaving with a safety razor. I shave 3 times a week. Best shave I've ever gotten:

Up front costs:

Ongoing costs:

+1. This.

dickyboy

Post by dickyboy » Fri May 08, 2015 8:19 am

Why not do what I do...buy the cheap disposable razors at Walmart...use them once and dump them. Then spend your time worrying about more important issues!!

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Fri May 08, 2015 4:34 pm

jimday1982 wrote:
M_to_the_G wrote: +1. This.

I heard that for ages as well and took the plunge with a safety razor. As noted in my thread on how I lowered my shavings costs (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=161400&p=2432052#p2422804), the safety razor simply was NOT for me due to the amount of irritation it caused on my neck.

I'll admit the shave was super close and irritation-free on my face, but my neck? Completely unacceptable. The Dorco Pace 3 cartridge razor all the way for me. Quick, smooth, zero irritation, and inexpensive.
And again, the problem wasn't the wet shaving, it was your technique. With posts like this, you are scaring people away from wet shaving by making it look like wet shaving just "doesn't work" for some people. Granted, there is a learning curve.
Last edited by M_to_the_G on Fri May 08, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"It’s basically the plot of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.' If you stick around, doing nothing, while everyone around you ****s up, you’re going to win big." - John Oliver

whadyaknow

Post by whadyaknow » Fri May 08, 2015 6:13 pm

dickyboy wrote:Why not do what I do...buy the cheap disposable razors at Walmart...use them once and dump them. Then spend your time worrying about more important issues!!
I switched to a DE razor couple months back. Not because I wanted a closer shave; but because I hate producing plastic waste. That was an important issue for me :D
80/20 Stock/Bond

DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings » Fri May 08, 2015 11:49 pm

An obvious way of saving money is to grow a beard. Then buy an electric trimmer and use it not only for haircuts, but also to cut your own hair and save money on haircuts as well. I'm not sure how much haircuts cost these days, but for the sake of discussion let's say $10-$20 including tip. Monthly haircuts would add up to $120-$240 a year. Throw in no costs for shaving, and growing a beard will make you wealthy :) or at least save you a few basis points :)

DireWolf

Post by DireWolf » Sat May 09, 2015 10:05 am

I've long considered buying a DE safety razor. Do you have to buy a shaving brush to apply the soap or can you just apply it with your fingers?

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sat May 09, 2015 10:16 am

Apologies if this tip has already been mentioned. If disposable cartridges are good enough for you and you are happy to forego all the alleged innovations in disposable technology, you can buy bulk quantities of older generation cartridges on eBay for quite cheap.

I now have what I expect to be a lifetime supply.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat May 09, 2015 10:26 am

I switched to Harry's. Their Truman set is $15 dollars and you can save $5 by using a promotion code from TWIT TV. It includes razor, 3 blades, and choice of shaving foam or cream.
https://www.harrys.com/
Best Wishes, SpringMan

wbrianwhite

Post by wbrianwhite » Sat May 09, 2015 10:35 am

SpringMan wrote:I switched to Harry's. Their Truman set is $15 dollars and you can save $5 by using a promotion code from TWIT TV. It includes razor, 3 blades, and choice of shaving foam or cream.
https://www.harrys.com/
Another twit.TV boglehead fan :)

JDot

Post by JDot » Sat May 09, 2015 9:29 pm

I also agree with the DE Safety Razor idea. I just switched, and I'm very happy. I paid about $15 for 100 blades. Each blade lasts about a week easily. I also splurged and paid about $50 for the razor itself, but you definitely don't need to do that. I purchased the Merkur 34C HD and recommend it. You can probably find it for cheaper than $50, but I wanted to get everything on a single website. The blades, which came highly recommended, were "Personna Comfort Coated Double Edge Blades - 100 Pack".

Because of the way this razor (and many more) is made, it pretty much ensures that you hold the razor at the correct angle.

JDot

Post by JDot » Sat May 09, 2015 9:34 pm

DireWolf wrote:I've long considered buying a DE safety razor. Do you have to buy a shaving brush to apply the soap or can you just apply it with your fingers?
I think if you're going to use the typical soap then you should probably just use the brush. The soap needs to be lathered a bit and the brush is used for that. Keep in mind that there's no reason that you couldn't continue to use the "goo in a can" if you were so inclined and you obviously would not need a brush.

BTW- you can buy a decent brush for $10. I'm actually going to post everything I purchased next. I did a lot of research and might as well share what I learned.

JDot

Post by JDot » Sat May 09, 2015 9:42 pm

I figured I might as well post what I purchased. I did a few hours of research so thought I'd share. Keep in mind that I got into this in the hopes of getting a better shave with less irritation. I wasn't trying to do this to save money, so one could easily tweak this and make it much more economical. In the long term it will still be much cheaper.

It does take me a little extra time to shave, but for the first time since puberty I actually look forward to it. With no further ado:

Omega S10065 Red S-Brush Synthetic Boar Shaving Brush
1 $10.00
Merkur 34C HD "Heavy Duty" Safety Razor
1 $49.50
Strop Shoppe Baker Street Shaving Soap with Tallow
1 $19.99
Dapper Dragon Blood Orange Artisan Shaving Soap with Tallow - 4oz Jar
1 $12.50
Maggard Razors Lilac After Shave, 4oz
1 $15.95
Personna Comfort Coated Double Edge Blades - 100 Pack
1 $13.99 (these are supposed to be great blades and I recommend them)
Feather New Hi-Stainless Double Edge Blades (10 blades)
1 $5.00 (these blades are supposed to be the best and sharpest you can buy so I figured I'd try them)
Fine Lather Bowl - Black & Gray
1 $24.99

aaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb

Post by aaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb » Sat May 09, 2015 9:52 pm

IMO unless you are quite poor, razor blades is one of the last places you should look for savings. The cost of any type of shaving solution (cartridge, electric, DE, straight, etc.) is sufficiently low that the main consideration is the quality of the experience, not the cost. E.g. you have a choice between paying $1 for a great experience or $0.10 for a slightly lesser experience; you probably should pay the $1. Again, the very poor and/or those with a psychological aversion to spending will have a different utility function.

(Note that I use a DE razor and ultra-cheap blades. But not because of cost.)

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat May 09, 2015 10:36 pm

I tried shaving with a Merkur DE razor. I did my best to perfect my technique, watched lots of videos, tried many different blades, etc. After several months, I gave up. I could never shave without nicking myself several times and the shave was never even that close for me. Maybe this just isn't in my skillset.

On top of that, it was essential for me to take a shower before attempting to shave with the DE razor. I need to shave every morning before work and I don't necessarily need to take a shower in the morning if I work out the previous evening and take a shower then. It was an unnecessary time sink.

I switched back to a Braun electric razor and couldn't be happier. I never cut myself and the shave is almost as good. I save about 10-15 minutes per day between the quicker shave and no need to take a shower, and that adds up. After the initial upfront cost, I will only spend money on Lectric Shave, cleaner cartridge refills, and a new foil every 18 months or so. My wallet won't miss about $60/year. DE shaving just isn't for everyone.

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun May 10, 2015 4:42 pm

There are many shaving creams/oils that do not need a brush to apply. You can use a shaving oil such as shave secret, available at wal mart, Cremo, on amazon and many drug stores. I picked up some at the dollar store the other day called Edge Body. Not great, but not bad for a dolla.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shave-Secret- ... z/10324376
http://www.amazon.com/Cremo-Astonishing ... remo+cream
http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Renew-Shave- ... =edge+body
(again, found it at the dolla store)
Not a fan of the foams in a can by the big cos such as gillette etc.
The neutrogena is not bad.
http://www.amazon.com/Neutrogena-Cleari ... have+cream
BUT< shaving brushes are pretty cheap, overall I prefer a brush with something like taylor of old bond street, geo f trumper, etc.
Mike

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sun May 10, 2015 5:01 pm

These two posts resonate with me:
aaaaaaabbbbbbbbbb wrote:IMO unless you are quite poor, razor blades is one of the last places you should look for savings. The cost of any type of shaving solution (cartridge, electric, DE, straight, etc.) is sufficiently low that the main consideration is the quality of the experience, not the cost.
Ketawa wrote:I tried shaving with a Merkur DE razor. I did my best to perfect my technique, watched lots of videos, tried many different blades, etc. After several months, I gave up. I could never shave without nicking myself several times and the shave was never even that close for me. Maybe this just isn't in my skillset.
Having never used a DE razor, I've read many posts on the subject, and most admit that using a DE involves a learning curve during which you will cut yourself multiple times, and that it takes at least a little bit longer to shave because you have to be more careful.

I'm not really interested in going through that learning process, I don't want to have to be careful when I'm shaving, and I don't want shaving to take longer than I spend on it right now. I think people should use DE for the quality of the shave and because they enjoy the experience more, not because it saves some insignificant amount of money.

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

How do you guys safely dispose of the used DE blades? I remember as a kid that our medicine cabinet had a slot in the back where you could put the used blades. I assume they just fell down into the wall cavity below the blades but I'm wondering if somewhere in America there are walls filling up with used blades......

(Oh, and I hope that it is safe to say "guys" in this thread, I wouldn't do it in a general investing thread.....)

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:07 pm

IowaFarmBoy wrote:How do you guys safely dispose of the used DE blades? I remember as a kid that our medicine cabinet had a slot in the back where you could put the used blades. I assume they just fell down into the wall cavity below the blades but I'm wondering if somewhere in America there are walls filling up with used blades......

(Oh, and I hope that it is safe to say "guys" in this thread, I wouldn't do it in a general investing thread.....)
I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWG ... UTF8&psc=1

Holds like 100+ used razors and you jut throw the whole case out when it's full.

I have also read on other forums (e.g. Badger & Blade) that a a lot of guys just use an empty Altoids case.

For the record, I am still in the midst of trying out the DE shaving thing - mostly for the quality of shaves & less irritation/ingrown hairs. It does take me a little longer right now, but each time seems to get just a little bit better as I learn more about what techniques I need to focus on and frankly learn more about my own face (e.g. which way the grain really grows).

M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G » Sun May 10, 2015 10:56 pm

hornet96 wrote:
IowaFarmBoy wrote:How do you guys safely dispose of the used DE blades? I remember as a kid that our medicine cabinet had a slot in the back where you could put the used blades. I assume they just fell down into the wall cavity below the blades but I'm wondering if somewhere in America there are walls filling up with used blades......

I use this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWG ... UTF8&psc=1

Holds like 100+ used razors and you jut throw the whole case out when it's full.

I have also read on other forums (e.g. Badger & Blade) that a a lot of guys just use an empty Altoids case.

For the record, I am still in the midst of trying out the DE shaving thing - mostly for the quality of shaves & less irritation/ingrown hairs. It does take me a little longer right now, but each time seems to get just a little bit better as I learn more about what techniques I need to focus on and frankly learn more about my own face (e.g. which way the grain really grows).
+1

Some sort of "blade bank," as they are called. For example, a child's piggy bank with a slot just big enough to fit DE blades is perfect. It would take a looooong time to fill one up, even if you get only two or three shaves out of each blade like I do. The blades are just so small and thin. But you can use anything that is made of thick, hard plastic or metal. If it's not a piggy bank sort of thing with a thin slot, but rather a container with an opening, then you will want to tape it shut before throwing it away. You don't want a cleaning lady or trash man to cut their hands on your used blades.