Magic Eraser Ruined Cabinet Doors

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kgingras

Magic Eraser Ruined Cabinet Doors

Post by kgingras » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:52 am

Wife got a little over zealous the other day doing a deep clean throughout the house and used Magic Eraser to wipe down some of the high gloss kitchen cabinet doors - just renovated the kitchen less than a year ago. Of course this took the sheen right off (just as it states on the Magic Eraser package!). Anyway we have about six doors that will need to be replaced but before we do so wondering if there is anything we can try to get the shine back?

hicabob

Re: Magic Eraser Ruined Cabinet Doors

Post by hicabob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:56 am

refinish the doors , or more likely get the doors refinished at a cabinet shop.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 am

Clear gloss.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:58 am

What type of finish do they have? Are they painted or stained?

+ 1 to refinishing. I doubt the doors need to be replaced.

Bengineer

Post by Bengineer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:59 am

I think I would consult the cabinet shop that finished them. It's possible they could be buffed.

jimmyq

Post by jimmyq » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 am

Magic eraser basically put microscopic scratches in the surface which makes it appear dull. I'd try polishing compound to buff out the scratches. This worked for me on a finished wood floor that was dulled do to a similar problem, but does requires a bit of elbow grease and patience. It can be a little tricky matching the existing sheen, because polishing too much can actually make it shinier than original. If this doesn't work, then refinishing may be in order.

Topic Author
kgingras

Post by kgingras » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:05 am

flyingbison wrote:What type of finish do they have? Are they painted or stained?

They are a maple veneer that is stained grey (Wellborn Cabinets). If I had them refinished would I need to get the same paint the factory used or would the company doing the refinishing be able to match the color?

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:17 am

kgingras wrote:
flyingbison wrote:What type of finish do they have? Are they painted or stained?

They are a maple veneer that is stained grey (Wellborn Cabinets). If I had them refinished would I need to get the same paint the factory used or would the company doing the refinishing be able to match the color?
Any decent painter/refinisher should be able to get the color matched. Was the color actually affected, though, or just the clear coat? If the stain is still intact, then it is really just the clear finish that needs to be redone.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:20 am

Wow! My wife did the exact same thing to our stained cabinet doors just last week. I was going to bring them into a cabinet maker / refinished and have them work their magic.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:49 am

I had somewhat of a similar situation but not in my kitchen. I have relative inexpensive maple cabinets in my utility room. I revitalized them with Orange Glo Hardwood Floor 4 in 1 product from Church & Dwight. If you are going to replace them, I would test it in a non-critical (door interior) to see if it works for you.

Topic Author
kgingras

Post by kgingras » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:08 am

flyingbison wrote:
kgingras wrote:

Any decent painter/refinisher should be able to get the color matched. Was the color actually affected, though, or just the clear coat? If the stain is still intact, then it is really just the clear finish that needs to be redone.
I don't think the color was affected. Most likely just the clear coat. In fact if you can really only see it when the light is just right.

zbxb006

Post by zbxb006 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:47 am

Stop in at your local auto supply store and pick a a bottle of 'polishing' compound. Not wax or restorer or any other descriptive.
Buff away with a soft cloth and compound. Wipe any residue off with another soft cloth.

If you take them to a cabinet shop, that is what they will do first. If that doesn't work, then they would scuff the finish and spray a new clear coat.

Jkon

Post by Jkon » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Kgingras, this just happened to us. What was your outcome?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:15 pm

Jkon, Welcome! FYI - You're bumping a 2015 thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.