Best albums of 2015

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
muddlehead

Re: Best albums of 2015

Post by muddlehead » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:29 pm

The War on Drugs Lost in the Dream (2014 not 2015 but close enough for music recommendations)

Big Mig

Post by Big Mig » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:11 pm

Saw Sufjan and his band in Atlanta last week. Carrie & Lowell fans really should try to catch one of the few shows left in this tour. The main set is mostly the 11 songs of C&L, and they are somehow more remarkable and more heartbreaking live. We're all gonna die, you know. Carrie & Lowell is definitely on my 2015 list, along with Kendrick, Spirit Meets The Bone, and Something More Than Free. Speaking of Isbell, I've been listening to a lot of Drive-By Truckers' It's Great to be Alive since it came out. If Jason had shown up to sing Decoration Day or Outfit that might top my list. This week anyway.

Beezthree

Post by Beezthree » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:37 am

Big Mig wrote:Saw Sufjan and his band in Atlanta last week. Carrie & Lowell fans really should try to catch one of the few shows left in this tour. The main set is mostly the 11 songs of C&L, and they are somehow more remarkable and more heartbreaking live. We're all gonna die, you know. Carrie & Lowell is definitely on my 2015 list.
saw this show as well. great venue for those songs. it was one of the best concerts i've ever seen and i've seen hundreds. crowd as quiet as any i've ever encountered at a rock show. lots of heavy eyes in the crowd. mine included.

edit: that droned out space he did at the end of the set was so unique and deep. loved every second of it.

Big Mig

Post by Big Mig » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:33 am

Beezthree wrote:that droned out space he did at the end of the set was so unique and deep. loved every second of it.
The way he started that, singing Blue Bucket of Gold, was beautiful. While I might have been happy enough with 5 minutes of the droned-out space, it seemed cathartic for Stevens, necessary before he could actually speak to us and move on to less sorrowful songs like Casimir Pulaski Day--and of course Hotline Bling! Didn't someone mention Drake in this thread?

joe3411

Post by joe3411 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:34 pm

TSR wrote:
TSR wrote:Happy to see this thread pop back up today. A few recommendations:

1. John Moreland, High on Tulsa Heat -- this dude writes super sad, folk/rock inspired songs with a huge voice that will take you to really dark places. The album is consistently fantastic and really sets the mood of his Midwestern ruminations. He's getting a huge amount of press these days (he's great live -- looks like he's about to die on stage), though he's probably not photogenic enough to blow up too much.

2. Joanna Newsom, Divers -- I'm a big fan, and I've really been enjoying this album. If you need proof, check out "The Things I Say" or "A Pin-Light Bent."
And if I haven't sold you on John Moreland yet, try some of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-oZALFMZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDfrHzIzmQ
Wow. Fantastic stuff. I listened to his two most recent albums and really enjoyed them. He's playing near me this week but I already have tickets to another show that night (Minus the Bear).

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:44 pm

joe3411 wrote:
TSR wrote:
TSR wrote:Happy to see this thread pop back up today. A few recommendations:

1. John Moreland, High on Tulsa Heat -- this dude writes super sad, folk/rock inspired songs with a huge voice that will take you to really dark places. The album is consistently fantastic and really sets the mood of his Midwestern ruminations. He's getting a huge amount of press these days (he's great live -- looks like he's about to die on stage), though he's probably not photogenic enough to blow up too much.

2. Joanna Newsom, Divers -- I'm a big fan, and I've really been enjoying this album. If you need proof, check out "The Things I Say" or "A Pin-Light Bent."
And if I haven't sold you on John Moreland yet, try some of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-oZALFMZ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDfrHzIzmQ
Wow. Fantastic stuff. I listened to his two most recent albums and really enjoyed them. He's playing near me this week but I already have tickets to another show that night (Minus the Bear).
That's a legitimate excuse.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Big Mig wrote:Saw Sufjan and his band in Atlanta last week. Carrie & Lowell fans really should try to catch one of the few shows left in this tour. The main set is mostly the 11 songs of C&L, and they are somehow more remarkable and more heartbreaking live. We're all gonna die, you know. Carrie & Lowell is definitely on my 2015 list, along with Kendrick, Spirit Meets The Bone, and Something More Than Free. Speaking of Isbell, I've been listening to a lot of Drive-By Truckers' It's Great to be Alive since it came out. If Jason had shown up to sing Decoration Day or Outfit that might top my list. This week anyway.
Catching him at the Ryman Auditorium tomorrow night. Couldn't be more excited. I saw him on his Age of Adz tour, which was one of my favorite shows ever (despite that album not being one of my favorites of his).

zotty

Post by zotty » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Petrocelli wrote:My favorite so far: Kendrick Lamar's, To Pimp a Buttterfly. Here's my favorite track, King Kunta: (EXPLICIT LYRICS!!!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSEtYNOgWKY
Enjoying it. always looking for new music. Thanks
Nadie Sabe Nada

Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:51 pm

At the opposite end of the musical spectrum from K. Lamar, I am really enjoying Carrie Underwood's new album Storyteller.

https://www.youtube.com/user/carrieunderwoodVEVO
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

dubsem

Post by dubsem » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:58 pm

The Weeknd's Beauty Behind the Madness.
G.O.O.D.

SiteScopeBound

Post by SiteScopeBound » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:30 pm

FullYellowJacket wrote:
supersharpie wrote:I have listened to several dozen releases and "Carrie & Lowell" by Sufjan Stevens is the best of the year by a considerable margin. It is a simply brilliant meditation on perseverance in the face of abandonment and loss. I think it is his finest achievement.
Just listened to it. Absolutely incredible album. The production on the album is fantastic, it goes perfectly with the subject matter. I wouldn't recommend listening to it at work though. I think my productivity is going to go down this afternoon as I sort through these new feelings.
Agreed, I absolutely love this album. I actually started running to it a lot, great time to think and reflect. Now when I listen to it, I long for the open trail and a slow jog or long, long walk, or both. :)

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Big Mig wrote:
Beezthree wrote:that droned out space he did at the end of the set was so unique and deep. loved every second of it.
The way he started that, singing Blue Bucket of Gold, was beautiful. While I might have been happy enough with 5 minutes of the droned-out space, it seemed cathartic for Stevens, necessary before he could actually speak to us and move on to less sorrowful songs like Casimir Pulaski Day--and of course Hotline Bling! Didn't someone mention Drake in this thread?
I mentioned Drake earlier with "If You're Reading This It's Too Late". I would also like to mention "What a Time to be Alive", Drake's collaboration with Future. I can't wait for "Views From the 6" to come out... whenever that happens.

Speaking about Future: "Beast Mode", "56 Nights", and "DS 2 (Dirty Sprite 2)" are all fantastic albums/mixtapes. Fair warning that if you are not already a fan of hip hop (especially Atlanta hip hop) you will most likely not like Future.

magicj

Post by magicj » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:28 pm

I never try to be negative, but in what I think is the worst year for music since I started heavily listening to music (1992), one album sticks out from all others. That is Royal Blood. I haven't listened to rap since the greatest rap album ever was created..Kanye's - Yeezus. That's the one album I have told people many times they are probably not listening to it correctly.
There are quite a few people talking about Kendrick Lamar and Drake so I will put them through my testing. You have to listen to the album all the way through five times before you can really give an opinion on it.

Beezthree

Post by Beezthree » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 am

just listened to this for the first time and i'm a bit blown away.

sounds somewhat like early tool, mixed with late 60s/early 70s floyd with a touch of....something. great album.

All Them Witches - "Dying Surfer Meets His Maker"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc6boofkkM8

virgingorda

Post by virgingorda » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:09 am

Wilco released Star Wars this year. Best band ever. Except maybe the Beatles.

Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:54 pm

I am really enjoying Ryan Adams' complete cover of Taylor Swift's 1989. here's a track from the album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcJ_ECyEK4I

Topic Author
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:40 pm

jayozzo wrote:I never try to be negative, but in what I think is the worst year for music since I started heavily listening to music (1992)....
I actually think this is a great year for music. Some of my favorite albums:

K. Lamar: To Pimp a Butterfly
Courtnet Barnett: Sometimes I Sit and Think
Sufjan Stevens: Carrrie and Lowell
Dwight Yoakum: Second Hand Heart
Nosaj Thing: Fated
Ryan Adams: 1989
Sturgill Simpson: High Top Mountain
Pokey Lafarge: Something in the Water
Jamie xx: In Color
Carrie Underwood: Storyteller
Raury: All We Need
Jessie Ware: Devotion
Yelawolf: Love Story
Jason Isbell: Something more tha Free
James McMurtry: Complicated Game
Toro y Moi: What For?
Calexico: Edge of the Sun

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:21 pm

virgingorda wrote:Wilco released Star Wars this year. Best band ever. Except maybe the Beatles.
I found the album a couple of weeks ago after hearing one of the songs in my car. I google listen to music while it played and found it was The Joke Explained from Star Wars. I just like the tune; too bad its so short. I then went back and listened to other Wilco stuff, especially Mermaid Avenue with Billy Bragg.

I went back to several of the recommends in this thread and especially like the Sufjan Stevens: Carrie and Lowell album. I like the new Adele 25. Not as well as her 21, but still shows off her voice well.

xjz

Post by xjz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:47 pm

For a change of pace from the end of this year, I've been enjoying Electric Light Orchestra's Alone in the Universe. I hadn't heard too much about them prior to this (too young, mostly), but it's definitely a little different from the usual stuff coming out these days. Good choice if you're trying to diversify your 2015 music portfolio. :D

It's on Spotify for streaming, and on YouTube via VEVO (lead single: When I Was A Boy).

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:57 pm

WhyNotUs wrote:Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats makes my best new band pick. Seeing them live is too much fun.
Candor wrote:^^ I bought their album a few weeks ago and have been listening to it non-stop. Good stuff.

Language warning for those easily offended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDAELXSDRrE
I'm listening to them right now, loving it. Good songs, good voices!

iceport

Post by iceport » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:02 pm

^^^^ SOB is a fantastic tune. How'd they turn such a morbid subject into such a happy, catchy tune?

This video is really cool, with comic affectations reminiscent of the Soggy Bottom Boys:

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B. (Official)
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:58 pm

I'm seeing them tonight with Leon Bridges!

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:04 pm

It's the end of the year so many Best of 2015 lists have come out. NYT, WSJ and many others. Many list Kendrick Lamar's album as well as others mentioned here.

I sometimes listen to WFUV radio streaming from the Bronx especially since its commercial free. It's got its own lists by its DJ's. I listened to many of the recommends. More to my liking is their listener poll for the top 90 songs; top 50 albums, and top discoveries of the year. They're at 90.7; guess that's where the 90 comes from.

For those with Spotify, WFUV provides a spotify playlist in the middle of this page: http://www.wfuv.org/content/best-2015-poll-results

Click on it to get to spotify, then you can "follow" the playlist and access it in something like Sonos. Spotify also has its own Best of lists.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Joe Jonas' band, D.N.C.E.
Cake by the Ocean is such a great song. Best song of the decade so far in my book... IMHO here.

mudfud

Post by mudfud » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:28 pm

mudfud wrote:I can't wait to download "Sound & Color" the new album by Alabama Shakes on April 21st. This is by far the best band I have heard in years-they have an incredible throwback sound. Brittany Howard is an amazing talent.

As point of reference, the last album I bought on the release day was Nirvana's In Utero back in 1993. :oops:

If you haven't heard of Alabama Shakes, please do yourself a favor and listen to this:
https://youtu.be/0HxNtWEIKhQ

Grammys live right now.

Alabama Shakes wins! (3 Grammys so far) Oh Joy!

Kendrick Lamar wins! (5 and counting). Thanks Petrocelli for the tip!
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image