Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
RevYoung

Re: Bogleheads Los Angeles meetings

Post by RevYoung »

triceratop wrote:I will attend.
Edited post above to add you to the list. :beer
“For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.”
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

The big remaining question is: Will Petro be there?
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

triceratop wrote:The big remaining question is: Will Petro be there?
Will his *watch* be there?
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

RevYoung wrote:. Worst case scenario, we all just meet on a street corner and just start preaching the dangers of active management to passersby. "Turn from your high cost funds!" :mrgreen:
BYOSB - bring your own soap box

Post by 2015 »

RevYoung wrote:This is great news, everyone! No replies to this thread for months, but it now appears the ball is rolling. I couldn't be more pleased.

telcodenizen does make a good point about noise level. When this thread started, it looked like we would barely be able to scrape together 3 or 4 of us. But if everyone who says they will make it actually comes, we will have a larger group. 14 by my count:

46sky
Apxeolog
FullYellowJacket
jrtexas
Nirav
Philip_Marlowe
RevYoung
santigold
sarala
telcodenizen
triceratop
yakkeryak3

Do post here in the thread if you are missing from that list or if you will be unable to attend.

The restaurant/bar that has been mentioned is in Downtown Culver City, near the Culver Hotel. The address is:

Kay 'n Dave's
9341 Culver Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232

Here is a link to Kay n Daves in Culver City on Google Maps.

So perhaps we do need to consider a change in venue. I was trying to keep track of all of the requests for different parts of the city, but I think it may be best to keep it in/near Culver City for now. Since LA is so large, it may be worth considering a separate meeting for folks in the valley since that seemed to come up more than once.

I'm not sure what happened to 46sky and the email account he or she set up, but we still have a month to come to a consensus here. Worst case scenario, we all just meet on a street corner and just start preaching the dangers of active management to passersby. "Turn from your high cost funds!" :mrgreen:
Don't they have a private meeting room? I thought I read about one in the Yelp reviews. Maybe it would be a good idea to book the restaurant's room regardless of where we end up, no?
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

2015 wrote:Don't they have a private meeting room? I thought I read about one in the Yelp reviews. Maybe it would be a good idea to book the restaurant's room regardless of where we end up, no?
I'm out of the country until later in the week, but I can call when I return if no one else has a chance to do so sooner. :)
“For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.”
sarala

Post by sarala »

2015 wrote:
RevYoung wrote:This is great news, everyone! No replies to this thread for months, but it now appears the ball is rolling. I couldn't be more pleased.

telcodenizen does make a good point about noise level. When this thread started, it looked like we would barely be able to scrape together 3 or 4 of us. But if everyone who says they will make it actually comes, we will have a larger group. 14 by my count:

46sky
Apxeolog
FullYellowJacket
jrtexas
Nirav
Philip_Marlowe
RevYoung
santigold
sarala
telcodenizen
triceratop
yakkeryak3

Do post here in the thread if you are missing from that list or if you will be unable to attend.

The restaurant/bar that has been mentioned is in Downtown Culver City, near the Culver Hotel. The address is:

Kay 'n Dave's
9341 Culver Blvd
Culver City, CA 90232

Here is a link to Kay n Daves in Culver City on Google Maps.

So perhaps we do need to consider a change in venue. I was trying to keep track of all of the requests for different parts of the city, but I think it may be best to keep it in/near Culver City for now. Since LA is so large, it may be worth considering a separate meeting for folks in the valley since that seemed to come up more than once.

I'm not sure what happened to 46sky and the email account he or she set up, but we still have a month to come to a consensus here. Worst case scenario, we all just meet on a street corner and just start preaching the dangers of active management to passersby. "Turn from your high cost funds!" :mrgreen:
Don't they have a private meeting room? I thought I read about one in the Yelp reviews. Maybe it would be a good idea to book the restaurant's room regardless of where we end up, no?
I just called tonite they said they don't. and it took them 10 minutes to find out because they could not hear me lol
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

Eating and drinking at a popular, loud, restaurant on a Saturday night sounds like good fun, but not a very good environment for a meeting, in my opinion. There's no reservations at this place and no rooms available for private parties. How are over 14 people supposed to be together?

When we were offered a private residence, an environment that's controllable, it sounded like a place where a meeting could occur. Why was no one interested in that?

We used to reserve a room at the Hastings Branch of the Pasadena Public Library once a month and that was a great meeting place.

Have fun LABH's, but I'll have to miss this one. Due to a life of playing live music, my hearing is too sensitive to enjoy myself, or hear, in an environment with a reputation for poor acoustics, not to mention the other obsticles.

I hope it works out for you, give us a report.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

EyeYield wrote:Eating and drinking at a popular, loud, restaurant on a Saturday night sounds like good fun, but not a very good environment for a meeting, in my opinion. There's no reservations at this place and no rooms available for private parties. How are over 14 people supposed to be together?

When we were offered a private residence, an environment that's controllable, it sounded like a place where a meeting could occur. Why was no one interested in that?
I yield to EyeYield; while I will still plan to attend this meeting regardless, in the absence of a private meeting room and a confirmation that it is quite loud I believe we should look elsewhere for a more suitable location.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Looks like I'll have to sit this one out,in favor of meeting long lost college pals in Vegas.
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

EyeYield wrote:Eating and drinking at a popular, loud, restaurant on a Saturday night sounds like good fun, but not a very good environment for a meeting, in my opinion. There's no reservations at this place and no rooms available for private parties. How are over 14 people supposed to be together?

We used to reserve a room at the Hastings Branch of the Pasadena Public Library once a month and that was a great meeting place.

Have fun LABH's, but I'll have to miss this one. Due to a life of playing live music, my hearing is too sensitive to enjoy myself, or hear, in an environment with a reputation for poor acoustics, not to mention the other obsticles.

I hope it works out for you, give us a report.
If you read the thread, you will see that the location was initially suggested before the group was this size. An LA Bogleheads meeting was proposed for months with almost no interest whatsoever. So there was no reason to assume that the group would grow so much so quickly. But we all know that “past performance does not guarantee future results”, so it is only prudent for all of us to be flexible.

Additionally, having never been to a local Bogleheads “meeting”, I have been thinking of it more as an informal “meetup”, a casual get together without a PowerPoint presentation in sight. Perhaps my expectations or understanding was incorrect. Perhaps a library would be more conducive to the sort of meeting others would like to have, even if it isn't quite as much “fun”.

All that said, it turns out that something just came up for me which must take precedence on September 19. I am very sad to say that. I do hope that everyone still gets together without me. I would love to attend in the future.

All the best.
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

Current list of attendees for anyone else wishing to take the reigns:

46sky
Apxeolog
FullYellowJacket
jrtexas
Philip_Marlowe
santigold
sarala
telcodenizen
triceratop
yakkeryak3

Looks like 11 (not counting myself, as I am unable to attend).
EyeYield

Post by EyeYield »

RevYoung wrote: If you read the thread, you will see that the location was initially suggested before the group was this size. An LA Bogleheads meeting was proposed for months with almost no interest whatsoever. So there was no reason to assume that the group would grow so much so quickly. But we all know that “past performance does not guarantee future results”, so it is only prudent for all of us to be flexible.

Additionally, having never been to a local Bogleheads “meeting”, I have been thinking of it more as an informal “meetup”, a casual get together without a PowerPoint presentation in sight. Perhaps my expectations or understanding was incorrect. Perhaps a library would be more conducive to the sort of meeting others would like to have, even if it isn't quite as much “fun”.

All that said, it turns out that something just came up for me which must take precedence on September 19. I am very sad to say that. I do hope that everyone still gets together without me. I would love to attend in the future.

All the best.
Yes, I read the thread and expressed an opinion on it's content. We can always rebalance.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

EyeYield wrote:We can always rebalance.
That's the ticket. :beer
mesmer

Post by mesmer »

I'd be interested in attending a Los Angeles meetup and Culver City area works great for me. Unfortunately I am not available on September 19th, but interested in future meetings.
sarala

Post by sarala »

triceratop wrote:

I yield to EyeYield; while I will still plan to attend this meeting regardless, in the absence of a private meeting room and a confirmation that it is quite loud I believe we should look elsewhere for a more suitable location.

It's getting closer to the date. I don't see any other suggestions?

Post by 2015 »

sarala wrote:
triceratop wrote:

After scouring Yelp, I was unable to find restaurants able to accommodate large groups other than Coco's, Denny's, or Shakey's. One place I found is Ca'Brea on La Brea at Wilshire Boulevard. It's a bit further east than Culver but has two banquet rooms. From the Yelp review:
The restaurant itself is massive. Three levels. Top floor includes two banquet rooms with a private bar and separate kitchen. The indoor and outdoor terrace are both beautiful especially for brunch on the weekends. The design is very rustic and homey with brick walls and venetian plaster.
Here's the link on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/ca-brea-los-ang ... nt+banquet

If this is acceptable to the group, let me know and I will make a reservation for one of the banquet rooms. If not, please suggest an alternative to Kay n' Daves (as it appears the location is no longer acceptable for our large group).

Or...we could simply stay with KnD's and hope for the best, but given the noise level cited in the reviews on Yelp, that doesn't appear to be a very good idea anymore.

Is anyone interested in submitting ideas for some type of agenda, as in what (other than introductions) do we want to discus during this gathering? Why are you attending and what do you hope to learn/come away with from the meeting? It's a suggestion if anyone feels that would be something worthwhile.
RevYoung

Post by RevYoung »

I still won't be able to attend this one (though it disappoints me greatly), so I don't have a horse in this particular race. However, I go to Kayndave's pretty regularly and don't have a problem with the noise level. I never sit inside, though. I think it is much louder inside.

There is a big fire pit in the outdoor area that seats maybe 6-8? So it depends on if everyone who says they will come actually comes or not. If the turnout ends up being smaller, Kayndave's at the big fire pit outside could work very well. I'm just putting that out there in case nothing else transpires. Better to have a small gathering in a noisy place than no gathering at all. :)

If there is a second gathering — and I do hope there is — my "agenda" would primarily be to get to know folks and see what I can learn from them. If I had to start the conversation, lately I'm interested in tax loss harvesting: when it makes sense to go through the time and effort, etc. I'm at the point where my investing is running smoothly, and I'm wondering what the next minor improvement might be.
sarala

Post by sarala »

2015 wrote:
sarala wrote:
triceratop wrote:

After scouring Yelp, I was unable to find restaurants able to accommodate large groups other than Coco's, Denny's, or Shakey's. One place I found is Ca'Brea on La Brea at Wilshire Boulevard. It's a bit further east than Culver but has two banquet rooms. From the Yelp review:
The restaurant itself is massive. Three levels. Top floor includes two banquet rooms with a private bar and separate kitchen. The indoor and outdoor terrace are both beautiful especially for brunch on the weekends. The design is very rustic and homey with brick walls and venetian plaster.
Here's the link on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/ca-brea-los-ang ... nt+banquet

If this is acceptable to the group, let me know and I will make a reservation for one of the banquet rooms. If not, please suggest an alternative to Kay n' Daves (as it appears the location is no longer acceptable for our large group).

Or...we could simply stay with KnD's and hope for the best, but given the noise level cited in the reviews on Yelp, that doesn't appear to be a very good idea anymore.

Is anyone interested in submitting ideas for some type of agenda, as in what (other than introductions) do we want to discus during this gathering? Why are you attending and what do you hope to learn/come away with from the meeting? It's a suggestion if anyone feels that would be something worthwhile.

Hi 2015, your location's suggestion is fine by me! hoping we will have a larger group. I'm pretty laid back. Kay n Daves ok too if we have smaller group.
I'd like to meet like-minded people and learn asset allocation/rebalancing. Sharing mistakes (I think somebody mentioned this?) yada yada.Hope we can benefit each other and be a support to each other. I am open to topic y'all have in mind.

Post by 2015 »

Thank you, Sarala. Since only two people have responded perhaps we should keep the location at Kay n' Dave's as originally planned and once there adjust accordingly? By this I mean, only half of the RSVPs may show up (this is LA, after all :D ), and accordingly the seating/table arrangements at Kay n' Dave's may work out just fine.

I request that all who are planning to attend post publicly your restaurant preference so we all can get an idea what the consensus is. Thanks!
aeronina

Post by aeronina »

I want to say to be sure to put me on the list for the Los Angeles Chapter.
I won't be back in Los Angeles until June of 2016, but I wholeheartedly support the idea
of meeting fellow Bogleheads.... sharing our strengths & our mistakes.
sarala

Post by sarala »

2015 wrote:Thank you, Sarala. Since only two people have responded perhaps we should keep the location at Kay n' Dave's as originally planned and once there adjust accordingly? By this I mean, only half of the RSVPs may show up (this is LA, after all :D ), and accordingly the seating/table arrangements at Kay n' Dave's may work out just fine.

I request that all who are planning to attend post publicly your restaurant preference so we all can get an idea what the consensus is. Thanks!
Yeah I agree with you, I'm for Fresno, I'm still adjusting to that idea "LA thing" ahahaha. I will be there at Kay n Dave's maybe with a UCLA hat :-)

See you guys soon!

Sarala

Post by 2015 »

Since there have been no objections, I assume we'll meet at Kay n' Dave's. Consensus on time? 6:00? 7:00? Earlier?
Lanseril

Post by Lanseril »

Lurker here, registering just to add myself to the attendee list! :D
sarala

Post by sarala »

2015 wrote:Since there have been no objections, I assume we'll meet at Kay n' Dave's. Consensus on time? 6:00? 7:00? Earlier?
6 will be good for me ;-)
sarala

Post by sarala »

Lanseril wrote:Lurker here, registering just to add myself to the attendee list! :D
Great!
The more the merrier :sharebeer

Post by 2015 »

sarala wrote:
2015 wrote:Since there have been no objections, I assume we'll meet at Kay n' Dave's. Consensus on time? 6:00? 7:00? Earlier?
Great, Kay n' Daves, 6:00 p.m. tomorrow, September 18. I'll wear a white label that says "Bogleheads" so I can be easily spotted.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! :P
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

My supervisor has asked me to stay late today. Until next time!
sarala

Post by sarala »

2015 wrote:
sarala wrote:
Great, Kay n' Daves, 6:00 p.m. tomorrow, September 18. I'll wear a white label that says "Bogleheads" so I can be easily spotted.

Looking forward to meeting everyone! :P
c u soon!
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

My attending kind of depends on the results of the GT v ND game today. Let's find out. Otherwise 6 sounds good to me

Post by 2015 »

Hello All,

I'll either be at the bar or on the patio depending on how crowded either is, and I'll have that label on with the word Bogleheads. Looking forward to meeting fellow LA Bogleheads!
Rick
Apxeolog

Post by Apxeolog »

Family medical issue came up, so I probably won't make it. Have a drink for me.

Apxeolog
FullYellowJacket

I'm the tall guy standing by the entrance in grey plaid in case you all are here. Scratch that. At the bar with a margarita.
FullYellowJacket

Bogleheads, party of 1?
Philip_Marlowe

Post by Philip_Marlowe »

Last edited by Philip_Marlowe on Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lanseril

Post by Lanseril »

Oh no! 2015 and I managed to rescue FullYellowJacket from the bar. We'll definitely invest in neon blinky signage for next time!

Post by 2015 »

Philip_Marlowe wrote:
FullYellowJacket wrote:Bogleheads, party of 1?
Oh no! My wife and I showed up for a few minutes and didn't see anyone so we thought we'd gotten confused about the time or location and left. Hopefully more people have shown up!
Sorry we missed you! We were at a table right next to the bar. Place turned out to be great: low key and very cool, great service, $4 happy hour drink prices!, lots of tables both inside and out (more tables outside in back). Had a great time.
Hopefully we can get more LA Bogleheads together next month!
dollar_sense

Post by dollar_sense »

hope to make it to your next meet up!
indexmantra

Post by indexmantra »

As someone who recently moved to LA from Phoenix, it is nice to see some activity in this bogleheads chapter
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Is there any interest in a meeting in February/March?

It'd be great to meet some folks.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

triceratop wrote:Is there any interest in a meeting in February/March?

It'd be great to meet some folks.
Yes, if it's close to downtown.
celia

Post by celia »

Yes, if it's closer to OC and not at a bar.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

I guess driving in perpetual traffic must be a big deterrence for BH meetings.

Smaller cities (smaller, not small) in CA such as San Diego County and Sacramento seem to have active chapters over an extended period of time. I wonder why??
MinimalJ

Post by MinimalJ »

I'm interested.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

OC might be hard given how many people typically want it to be downtown. I don't care personally since it's a bit of a drive either way for me, but...
HueyLD wrote:I guess driving in perpetual traffic must be a big deterrence for BH meetings.

Smaller cities (smaller, not small) in CA such as San Diego County and Sacramento seem to have active chapters over an extended period of time. I wonder why??
I drove from Venice to Altadena today in 45 minutes. It isn't as if there is perpetual traffic.
skh13x

Post by skh13x »

in, but similar to celia.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

triceratop wrote: I drove from Venice to Altadena today in 45 minutes. It isn't as if there is perpetual traffic.
I'm in awe!

Post by 2015 »

unclescrooge wrote:
triceratop wrote: I drove from Venice to Altadena today in 45 minutes. It isn't as if there is perpetual traffic.
I'm in awe!
Me too!! Drove what? A helicopter?? I'm retired and there is nothing but perpetual traffic and people all the time no matter where I go in Los Angeles. I attended the LA meeting in Culver City last year and really enjoyed it. IIRC, it was on a Saturday night.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

2015 wrote:
unclescrooge wrote:
I'm in awe!
Me too!! Drove what? A helicopter?? I'm retired and there is nothing but perpetual traffic and people all the time no matter where I go in Los Angeles. I attended the LA meeting in Culver City last year and really enjoyed it. IIRC, it was on a Saturday night.
I should note I started at 430am. 8-)
Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username »

I can be up for it.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.