2015 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

2015 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:59 pm

3-14-15 UPDATE: REGISTRATION IS CLOSED. WE'RE SOLD OUT.

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2015 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 14, 2015. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 16, 2015.
Our special guest for our Conference is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Mel Lindauer, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth. And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Officer at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year. After doing a presentation on Friday, Gus will join the Experts Panel for the Q&A session.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for a presentation and an extended Q&A session with Jack. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. There will also be a simultaneous breakout session as well as an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll hear from Gus Sauter, followed by Q&A sessions with our Expert Panels.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$260 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your online reservation early and then send in your registration fee promptly to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out very early (in just five weeks last year) and we expect to do so again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.

To register for the Conference, please go to our simple online registration at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_Ue6r8 ... w/viewform. Just open the link, complete and submit the form, and then mail your check (payment must be received to complete registration). If you have any problems or questions, contact us at: BogleheadsConference@gmail.com
Also check out the conference website... https://sites.google.com/site/bogleheadsmeeting/

Once your payment is received, you will be officially registered. You will then be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as Airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $139 per night (king or double queen) plus 8% tax. This special rate is available from Oct 12 through Oct 16. Other nights are at a reduced rate of $147 per night for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who attempted to book rooms later had to find other accommodations.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel Lindauer, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”).
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Emergent_Order

Re: 2015 BOGLEHEADS CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Emergent_Order » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm

Just signed up for the 2015 conference. Looking forward to attending this great event for the first time.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Sadly, a niece and a nephew in the UK decided to get married (not to each other :D) on the consecutive weekends that flank the meeting in October so I can't come this year. Was much looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be great!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Daryl

Post by Daryl » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I'd love to attend! Is this typically held in the city, or closer to Vanguard's campus (Valley Forge area)?

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:13 pm

I just signed up as well and the check is going out in Monday's mail.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 pm

Count me in.

Daryl - It's in the Philadelphia area, the location won't be more specific than that.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:41 pm

Will miss this year. Looking forward to visiting a country I visited during the Tet offensive 47 years ago.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Tristan

Post by Tristan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:45 am

I just signed up and am really looking forward to my first Bogleheads Conference.

etarini

Post by etarini » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:14 am

Just finished the forms for my wife and myself - I'm a first timer, too.

We retired at the end of 2014, so this is very exciting for us - I can't imagine how we could have done it without the support and expertise of the Bogleheads community.

Eric

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:42 pm

For any first timers considering to go, DO IT! I was a first timer in 2014 and had a blast. Between meeting Jack, the various discussions, the panel Q&A, and meeting our fellow Bogleheads, it was a wonderful experience. Sadly, I have a wedding on Saturday, October 17th as well as preparation activities in the days prior and thus, will be unable to attend this year. I will miss seeing you all and hope 2015 is every bit as great as 2014!

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:47 pm

Emergent_Order wrote:Just signed up for the 2015 conference. Looking forward to attending this great event for the first time.
You're in for a real treat, Emergent_Order.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:39 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:For any first timers considering to go, DO IT! I was a first timer in 2014 and had a blast. Between meeting Jack, the various discussions, the panel Q&A, and meeting our fellow Bogleheads, it was a wonderful experience. Sadly, I have a wedding on Saturday, October 17th as well as preparation activities in the days prior and thus, will be unable to attend this year. I will miss seeing you all and hope 2015 is every bit as great as 2014!
Are you getting married, which would explain all of the "prep" work? :) It was a pleasure meeting you in 2014. Let's look forward to 2016.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

SR II

Post by SR II » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:34 pm

Looking forward to the 2015 Conference as a second-timer!

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:43 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Are you getting married, which would explain all of the "prep" work? :) It was a pleasure meeting you in 2014. Let's look forward to 2016.
And here I was originally writing a longer message and thought "who would want all these details" and cut it all out for "prep-work". No, it's not me. Just a good friend of mine and I am part of the wedding party, so I have the bachelor party, the rehearsal dinner, photographs, etc. Some day it will be me, but not until I convince the other half to become a Boglehead!

And PS, the pleasure was all mine. Love meeting you all and putting faces to some great posts and seeing you get your "reward"! :)

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:35 am

6miths wrote:Sadly, a niece and a nephew in the UK decided to get married (not to each other :D) on the consecutive weekends that flank the meeting in October so I can't come this year. Was much looking forward to it. I'm sure it will be great!
There's always (hopefully) next year's event.

swimirvine

Post by swimirvine » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:29 am

I'll be there
The way I invest my money is not the right way to invest, it's the right way for ME to invest.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:16 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2015 Bogleheads® Conference will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, with check-in starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 14, 2015. The meeting will end around 1:30PM on Friday, October 16, 2015.
Our special guest for our Conference is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads®, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&A with the Experts are authors Christine Benz, Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Mel Lindauer, Mike Piper, and Allan Roth. And we’re excited to announce that Gus Sauter, the former Chief Investment Officer at Vanguard, will be joining us again this year. After doing a presentation on Friday, Gus will join the Experts Panel for the Q&A session.

We'll start with check-in followed by a wine and cheese reception on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for a presentation and an extended Q&A session with Jack. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. There will also be a simultaneous breakout session as well as an ongoing wiki demonstration. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll visit Vanguard. After breakfast on Friday, we’ll hear from Gus Sauter, followed by Q&A sessions with our Expert Panels.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$260 per person. This non-refundable and non-transferable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions.

Registration is now open. Space is limited. We suggest that you make your online reservation early and then send in your registration fee promptly to ensure getting one of the available spots. In previous years, we’ve sold out very early (in just five weeks last year) and we expect to do so again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly.

To register for the Conference, please go to our simple online registration at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1_Ue6r8 ... w/viewform. Just open the link, complete and submit the form, and then mail your check (payment must be received to complete registration). If you have any problems or questions, contact us at: BogleheadsConference@gmail.com
Also check out the conference website... https://sites.google.com/site/bogleheadsmeeting/

Once your payment is received, you will be officially registered. You will then be advised on the procedure for reserving a room as well as Airport to hotel transportation options. Our preferred Conference hotel discounted rate is $139 per night (king or double queen) plus 8% tax. This special rate is available from Oct 12 through Oct 16. Other nights are at a reduced rate of $147 per night for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area. The hotel only holds a limited number of rooms for us at these special rates, so be sure to make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who attempted to book rooms later had to find other accommodations.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel Lindauer, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson, Gail Cox and Mel Turner (aka TOM, “The Other Mel”).
Do you have a venue secured?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:53 pm

wfrobinette wrote:Do you have a venue secured?
Yes, it's always the case. The location is provided only to those who have registered.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

siamond

Post by siamond » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:21 pm

Took the plunge. Registered and mailed the check a few minutes ago.

rick53403

Post by rick53403 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm in as a 3rd time attendee. Received my confirmation e-mail today. whew whew.

camper

Post by camper » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:17 pm

I'm trying to convince my wife to let me go. We will be visiting family in Philly during that time. Bogleheads conference or visiting my sister-in-law? Tough choice. :wink:

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:43 pm

sschullo wrote:Will miss this year. Looking forward to visiting a country I visited during the Tet offensive 47 years ago.
Semper Fi, Steve. I'm sure it will be an emotional visit. See you and Dan at next year's event.

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:17 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Yes, it's always the case. The location is provided only to those who have registered.

Victoria
Just trying to get an idea on the general location. Downtown? King of Prussia, etc.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:23 am

BrandonBogle wrote:For any first timers considering to go, DO IT! I was a first timer in 2014 and had a blast. Between meeting Jack, the various discussions, the panel Q&A, and meeting our fellow Bogleheads, it was a wonderful experience. Sadly, I have a wedding on Saturday, October 17th as well as preparation activities in the days prior and thus, will be unable to attend this year. I will miss seeing you all and hope 2015 is every bit as great as 2014!
Any other descriptions on what it's like for a first timer? I'm not questioning the validity, I'm just wondering what the overall takeaway is, and who it's designed for. The forum has lots of serious experts, but newbies just starting out, so who is the event targeting?

SR II

Post by SR II » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:22 pm

I was a first-timer last year and I'm going back. My husband is the one interested in investing. Me, not so much...at least not BEFORE the 2014 conference. I found John Bogle, the panels and Vanguard visit very informative and extremely well organized. So much so that I was the one eagerly awaiting the announcement of the 2015 conference. Not only that, but we flew in from California the day before and left first thing the day after. This year, the last conference day is our wedding anniversary and I couldn't be more pleased to be spending it with the Bogleheads!
Last edited by SR II on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:28 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Just trying to get an idea on the general location. Downtown? King of Prussia, etc.
For security purposes, only folks who are registered and paid get that information. If folks aren't attending, it really doesn't matter where the event is being held.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:54 am

camper wrote:I'm trying to convince my wife to let me go. We will be visiting family in Philly during that time. Bogleheads conference or visiting my sister-in-law? Tough choice. :wink:
Let's see. Jack Bogle or sister-in-law? Jack Bogle or sister-in-law? Jack Bogle or sister-in-law? :)

wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:03 pm

Mel Lindauer wrote:
wfrobinette wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
For security purposes, only folks who are registered and paid get that information. If folks aren't attending, it really doesn't matter where the event is being held.
The reason I was asking on general location is because I live near Reading, PA and was trying to determine if I could make the drive daily(certainly if near KOP, Center City not likely) or I would need to get a hotel. I understand the security concerns.

Submitted info yesterday and sent payment as well. No confirmation yet. I assume that will come once you receive payment.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:14 pm

wfrobinette wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
wfrobinette wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
The reason I was asking on general location is because I live near Reading, PA and was trying to determine if I could make the drive daily(certainly if near KOP, Center City not likely) or I would need to get a hotel. I understand the security concerns.

Submitted info yesterday and sent payment as well. No confirmation yet. I assume that will come once you receive payment.
Yes, once your payment is received, you'll get full information, including how to make hotel reservations at the reduced rate, if needed.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:03 am

boroc7 wrote:
Any other descriptions on what it's like for a first timer? I'm not questioning the validity, I'm just wondering what the overall takeaway is, and who it's designed for. The forum has lots of serious experts, but newbies just starting out, so who is the event targeting?
The event targets investors of all ilks, from beginners to those who are more experienced. The attendees are normally split fairly evenly among first-timers and those who've attended previous events.

The Q&A sessions addresses lots of questions posed by the audience, so you/they determine what level questions get asked and answered. However, while we do cover broad areas, we don't give individual financial advice. Also, you'll find attendees informally discussing whatever interests them among themselves in the informal social settings, such as at the wine and cheese reception.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Never disappointed.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:11 am

Undicided Bogleheads:

Our first Reunion (now called "Conference") was held in our Miami condominium in March, 2000. I never heard or read of anyone who said they were disappointed they attended any conference!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

BrandonBogle

Re: Never disappointed.

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:46 pm

Taylor Larimore wrote:Undicided Bogleheads:

Our first Reunion (now called "Conference") was held in our Miami condominium in March, 2000. I never heard or read of anyone who said they were disappointed they attended any conference!

Best wishes.
Taylor
I will add that the biggest and only "regret" I heard last year was that you were not in attendance Taylor!

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:53 am

First time for me last year - zero regrets and I *drove* from Colorado. Going to skip this year so that a noob can have my would-be spot. Civic duty done, planning to attend again 2016.

I wouldn't say that the conference is "geared" toward anyone in particular. The hosts take extra care of the first-timers, but the overall feel of the conference is so homey, I can't imagine anyone feeling left out. The educational sessions reinforce (from experts) what you read in the forums every day.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:13 pm

BolderBoy wrote:I wouldn't say that the conference is "geared" toward anyone in particular. The hosts take extra care of the first-timers, but the overall feel of the conference is so homey, I can't imagine anyone feeling left out. The educational sessions reinforce (from experts) what you read in the forums every day.
I wholeheartedly agree!

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:12 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
BolderBoy wrote:I wouldn't say that the conference is "geared" toward anyone in particular. The hosts take extra care of the first-timers, but the overall feel of the conference is so homey, I can't imagine anyone feeling left out. The educational sessions reinforce (from experts) what you read in the forums every day.
I wholeheartedly agree!
Thank you both for those comments. We certainly do everything we can to make first-timers feel welcome and comfortable as members of the Boglehead Community.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:44 pm

Fair Warning: As of today, we're already at 75% of capacity, so if you're planning to attend, you're going to have to register and pay promptly before we're totally sold out. We're not able to increase capacity and there won't be a wait list.

P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:Fair Warning: As of today, we're already at 75% of capacity, so if you're planning to attend, you're going to have to register and pay promptly before we're totally sold out. We're not able to increase capacity and there won't be a wait list.
Sent my check in last Monday. Eagerly waiting to hear if I am part of the 75%.

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:12 pm

P&C actuary wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Fair Warning: As of today, we're already at 75% of capacity, so if you're planning to attend, you're going to have to register and pay promptly before we're totally sold out. We're not able to increase capacity and there won't be a wait list.
Sent my check in last Monday. Eagerly waiting to hear if I am part of the 75%.
I wonder how people will attend the Bogleheads conference and if it is less than 430, and with 43,000 Bogleheaders you will be a one percenter.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:18 pm

Wildebeest wrote:I wonder how people will attend the Bogleheads conference and if it is less than 430, and with 43,000 Bogleheaders you will be a one percenter.
I think the capacity is 200, which is less than 1% of registered users.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:08 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Wildebeest wrote:I wonder how people will attend the Bogleheads conference and if it is less than 430, and with 43,000 Bogleheaders you will be a one percenter.

Victoria
May I ask if you are part of the 1% this year?

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:15 pm

siamond wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
May I ask if you are part of the 1% this year?
Is this a tricky question?

Victoria

x35864

Post by x35864 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:05 pm

I really want to go, but I'm waiting on word for a potential deployment to Operation Atlantic Resolve (thank you, Vladimir Putin). Are there any last minute drawings closer to the conference?

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:07 pm

x35864 wrote:I really want to go, but I'm waiting on word for a potential deployment to Operation Atlantic Resolve (thank you, Vladimir Putin). Are there any last minute drawings closer to the conference?
Sorry, but I expect we'll be sold out within a week or so (just waiting for more checks to arrive). We don't have a wait list.

x35864

Post by x35864 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks, Mel. I look forward to hearing about the conference on the forum.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:20 am

x35864 wrote:Thanks, Mel. I look forward to hearing about the conference on the forum.
Thank you for your service. Let's hope things settle down and you don't have to deploy.

Premier

Post by Premier » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Mel,
What's the count at? I need to check in at work tomm to see if that time is available for me to go. Thanks.
Own stocks, the course to stay; Hold bonds, for they will pay; Keep cash reserves for a rainy day.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:59 pm

Premier wrote:Mel,
What's the count at? I need to check in at work tomm to see if that time is available for me to go. Thanks.
We're getting pretty close to shutting down the registration process, possibly within the next few days. Just waiting for folks who registered to pay and once we reach our paid number, we'll shut 'er down. Some folks register and fail to pay for any number of reasons, so it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings. If you find out tomm. that you can attend, register immediately and then get your check in the mail right away to avoid getting shut out.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:20 am

I am hoping my check reaches the west coast in time. I mailed it last Wednesday (mailbox pickup 2:30 pm) at the same time as I mailed another check addressed to a firm based in Atlanta, Georgia. I discovered the Atlanta firm posted my payment to them last night, so I assume they received it over the weekend or yesterday. Since cross-country mail is no longer delivered by pony express ( 8-) ), California might take a day longer than Georgia for mail originating from the northeast, but I am hopeful my check will reach boglehead conference organizers today.

EDIT: happy to report that I am now fully registered (and apparently the PO takes one more day to deliver mail from northeast to west coast than to Atlanta, at least based on this small datapoint.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:22 pm

I need a ride to the conference from somewhere near Princeton, NJ. Please PM me if you might be able to offer me one.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

fortyofforty

Post by fortyofforty » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm still waiting. The check went out about a week ago, but apparently the Pony Express is still in service, since my check hasn't been credited yet. East to West, in a week.

dodecahedron, did you receive an email telling you you've been registered?
Indexing works, not because of magic, but because of math. | Diligentia. Vis. Celeritas. - Jeff Cooper | Out of self-quarantine.