cat water fountain

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lululu

cat water fountain

Post by lululu » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:48 pm

So the vet says to buy a water fountain for pets to encourage the cat to drink water, because the cat has a urinary issue. There are numerous designs available. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks.

gkaplan

Re: cat water fountain

Post by gkaplan » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:50 pm

What's wrong with just a water bowl? (If your cat has urinary issues, it's best to feed him or her wet food and not dry food.)
Gordon

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:05 pm

gkaplan wrote:What's wrong with just a water bowl? (If your cat has urinary issues, it's best to feed him or her wet food and not dry food.)

The cat is getting special food for this. The vet says the fountains are more appealing to cats than water bowls, but I will have both available.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:09 pm

Our cats definitely drink more from a fountain vs a bowl. We had a plastic one, but one of the cats developed an allergy to it. Now we have a porcelain one, which works great. Unfortunately, I can't find a name on it anywhere!

EDIT: OK, this is what we have now. I paid around $40 during a lightning deal. It took a couple days for the cats to get comfortable with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LV ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by bhsince87 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BH87

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:09 pm

I had the same problem. My cats were not drinking water. I tried a fountain. They wouldn't touch it. I now put about four teaspoons of water (I have a measuring spoon) in the food every time I feed them. Now they get plenty of water.
Best Wishes, | Joe

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:31 pm

gkaplan wrote:What's wrong with just a water bowl? (If your cat has urinary issues, it's best to feed him or her wet food and not dry food.)

Many cats prefer to drink from running water. Wet food is also an excellent suggestion. It also helps with diabetes.
Run, You Clever Boy!

user5027

Post by user5027 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:37 pm

My cat only drinks from fine crystal. :oops:

lynneny

Post by lynneny » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:56 pm

My cats won't drink from their water dish either, and they ignore the cat fountain I bought them. But for some unknown reason they like drinking from the flower vase in the living room, so I just add fresh water to that every day (and no longer put flowers in it). They'll also drink water from a running tap in the kitchen or bathroom, so we do that too as a game. Sometimes they drink out of the watering can I fill to water houseplants. And for the three weeks the Christmas tree was up, they drank from the tree stand. Basically, whenever they seem interested in a source of water, we let them explore it and drink out of it (With one exception, which is why we keep toilet seat lid closed).

Gill

Post by Gill » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:22 pm

Reminds me of a cat my wife had before we were married. The cat learned to turn on the water faucets, and she would come home from work to find water running in all the sinks. She finally had to solve it by shutting off the water valves under the sinks except for one which she would set to come out as a trickle for the cat to drink.
Gill

walker46

Post by walker46 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Had the same issue with one of our cats (one of three.) This is the one we bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Fountain-Max-Stainless-Steel/dp/B004EFVQDC/ref=pd_sbs_petsupplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=043HR1JV0J7Z3JXHQA4P

They all seem to enjoy it.

Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:46 pm

+1

But my cats still prefer to drink from my glass when my back is turned.

tecmage

Post by tecmage » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:58 pm

My wife has had one of these forever:
http://www.amazon.com/Catit-Fresh-Clear-Drinking-Fountain/dp/B0015Z3RYK

Filters are easy to replace and the pump has lasted almost a decade with regular cleaning.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:51 pm

lululu wrote:So the vet says to buy a water fountain for pets to encourage the cat to drink water, because the cat has a urinary issue. There are numerous designs available. Anyone have any words of wisdom? Thanks.

Many years ago I read that to get your cat to drink more water, you should put the water some place other than next to the food dish. So I used to put my cat's water dish in the next room. My friends placed water dishes in several places around the house.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:20 am

Over the years, I've had the Drinkwell Classic, Drinkwell Platinum, and Drinkwell Zen. The Classic and Platinum have a faucet effect (e.g. a free-flowing stream of water just like water coming out of the faucet) while the Zen just runs water over a sloped platform. So the Zen is quieter as it does not have splashing water. However, some of my cats really like the free-flowing cascade of the Classic and Platinum better. Ultimately, the Zen is easier to clean (there were just too many nooks and crannies with the other two), so that's what I'm using right now even though some of the cats protested the loss of the faucet effect.

I also tried a Drinkwell Hy-drate, which is a recirculation pump that you put in an existing water dish. It's about $12 on Amazon. I had it in a 32oz weighted dog dish for my elderly cat who has to eat prescription food in a different room from the others. I had originally gotten that large of a dish because this particular elderly cat likes to push water dishes around the room and I needed something too heavy for him to do so. The pump worked pretty well, although I wouldn't try it in a smaller water bowl. I ultimately stopped using it because the elderly cat would carry pieces of kibble over to the water dish and drop it in to play with the food as the pump moved it around the bowl. It didn't matter how far away I moved the water dish, he kept doing it. That got to be too much to clean up after, so he's back to just the dog dish now.

For all of the fountains, there was an adjustment period where the cats had to get used to the fountain. Depending on how timid your cat is, this may or may not take a while. If the cat does not seem to be using the fountain after a day, put a small water dish next to the fountain, as dehydration can be bad for the cat. But leave the fountain running so the cat can get used to the sight and sound of it.

Once they get over their timidness, most cats seem to love fountains. As I said, the elderly cat loved to play with his kibble in it. And when I still had the Platinum, I had cats who would stick their whole heads under the water flow or just generally play with the water. So make sure to place the fountain somewhere that can withstand splashes and wet cats walking away from the dish. Vinyl or tile flooring away from human traffic (so no stepping or slipping in splashes) is probably the best option.

Edit: Here's the links to the models on Amazon.
Drinkwell Classic (plastic) - http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-FWB-RE- ... B00063446M
Drinkwell Platinum (plastic) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L3XYZ4/ref ... B002SB91QS
Drinkwell Zen (stainless steel + plastic) - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HRJS24/ref ... B002SB91QS
Drinkwell Hy-drate (plastic) - http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-Petsafe ... B004QGYY9C

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:29 am

Have you thought about a washlet bidet :?
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:20 am

I had this Drinkwell fountain for my cat:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=5864

At first he wouldn't drink from it so I took a glass saucer, turned it upside down and wedged it under the stream of water. He liked lapping up the water running over the saucer. Some ladies in my book club were repurposing those tabletop meditation fountains for their cats. You know those things with the pebbles. So I tried one of those. I got one that had been circulating in the family as a perennial holiday re-gift. My cat loved drinking from it. Well, for the first six months anyway. It was a pain to clean. All those pebbles. They grew slimy. Eventually he decided he preferred the Drinkwell. I did too. Much easier to clean.

lululu

Post by lululu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks, folks. I appreciate all the answers and suggestions.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:30 pm

GerryL wrote:Many years ago I read that to get your cat to drink more water, you should put the water some place other than next to the food dish. So I used to put my cat's water dish in the next room. My friends placed water dishes in several places around the house.

I had never heard this before, but can vouch that my cat only drinks out of the dog's water bowl in the living room, and not from her water bowl next to her food dish in the bedroom. Both are similar metal bowls kept filled with fresh water. I could never understand why this was till now (wondered if it was a "grass is always greener" kind of thing!) :)

Buysider

Post by Buysider » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:07 pm

You can also try ice ... I have a cat that loves cold water. If I put an ice cube in a tray, he will pounce on it and lick half way down. Seems to work for him!

chip25

Post by chip25 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:12 pm

What worked for us was moving the water bowl away from the food. We have the water bowl about 2 feet from his food bowl and we've noticed him drinking more water. You can google it and will get some hits that show this.

If you haven't already then try that.

Cheers.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:15 pm

I can say do NOT get the Drinkwell Platinum. I had one, and after about a year the seal in the reservoir came loose and caused the reservoir to empty all over the floor.

I replaced it with the Drinkwell Avalon. It holds less water than the Platinum so you have to refill it more frequently, but there's never more water than can fit into the base, so no chance of an overflow causing a flood. The Avalon also has fewer parts and is easier to clean than the Platinum, and is made of ceramic rather than plastic.

Many cats instinctively prefer a water source separate from their food, so as not to contaminate the water with their kill. That's why some cats will ignore a fountain if it's next to the food dish, but if you move it across the room they will drink from it. It's best to have several bowls or glasses around the house for them to drink from in addition to a fountain.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:31 pm

We had the Drinkwell, and the cats seemed to like it (especially two of them), but it made a HUGE difference if we kept *fresh* water in it. That was still better than letting the faucet run endlessly, even on a slow stream.

The other trick we learned was not to use plastic food or water dishes, especially not for water.
Stainless steel was much preferred to plastic, with glass being even "better" apparently.
We always wondered if that was because stainless and glass could be cleaned more thoroughly or didn't impart any subtle (or not so subtle?) flavors/odors, or both.

One cat developed a strong preference to drink from his paw.
He'd reach out under the fountain or scoop water up from a bowl with his paw cupped inward, with a tiny pool of water there, lap it up, dip again, over and over and over.
It was very cute, but we don't know how he learned that little "trick".
But he wouldn't drink the same water directly from the same bowl.
He would occasionally drink from the fountain, however.

We left assorted glass and stainless steel bowls of fresh water (always freshening them up!) scattered around, trying our best not to bump into them and spill them...

For a cat with terminal kidney disease, we finally just left the water faucet trickling slightly, considering this to be a matter of life or death (with agreement from vet).
Then she finally needed subcutaneous fluids every other day, so the trickling water was more for her enjoyment than for true hydration.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:13 pm

tuningfork wrote:I can say do NOT get the Drinkwell Platinum. I had one, and after about a year the seal in the reservoir came loose and caused the reservoir to empty all over the floor.

The Platinum reservoir works just like a human 3 gallon or 5 gallon water dispenser. A sealed container of liquid turned upside down in a liquid empties when air can enter into the container. The container will then dispense an equivalent volume of liquid to the air that enters. So the container will only dispense liquid if either the liquid drops below the edge of the container, which allows a bubble of air to enter the container, or if there is a hole in the container, which allows air to enter in. Try this out with a soda bottle in a glass of water for example. Same basic physics.

So the only way the reservoir seal can "come loose" is if a) there's a crack in the reservoir that's letting air in or b) there's hair on the pre-filter that is preventing water from circulating into the back (where the edge of the reservoir resides) so the water level in the back drops below the edge of the reservoir continuously. In the case of (a), it's a manufacturing defect if you haven't dropped it or otherwise done something that would cause a crack, so ask for a warranty replacement. In the case of (b), the reservoir is doing exactly what it is supposed to do by the rules of physics. No "seals" have broken; it just needs more maintenance. I had to clean the pre-filter on the Platinum nightly to prevent scenario (b) from happening.

gardemanger

Post by gardemanger » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:38 pm

I hadn't heard the thing about cats not liking water that's next to their food. I have no cats myself but I am in charge of feeding friends' cats when they are out of town. They live in a 3 story rowhouse. The cats get food in the kitchen on the first floor but they strenuously ignore the water dishes next to the food. Instead, every time I come over and put out the fresh food and water dishes, they eat the food and then climb all the way to the third floor where their cat fountain is and drink that water. And these are old cats with creaky joints, so they don't go up and down all those stairs more than they have to. I'm not in such good health myself so I *really enjoy* the subsequent climb to the third floor to refill the fountain. :?

lululu

Post by lululu » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:58 pm

I ordered the Drinkwell Pagoda Porcelain Pet Drinking Fountain. motivated mostly by the comment about plastics. I dimly recall one of my previous cats having a problem with plastic.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm

lululu wrote:I ordered the Drinkwell Pagoda Porcelain Pet Drinking Fountain. motivated mostly by the comment about plastics. I dimly recall one of my previous cats having a problem with plastic.

About the plastic, we had heard that plastic food dishes could also cause some sort of skin irritation on the face/chin.

I wasn't so sure that was true, until one cat (and only one cat, ever) started to get some sort of lesion on his chin.
Turned out to be "cat acne" (not the right technical/vet term, I'm sure).

Sure enough, it stopped when we switched away from all plastic.
As a true scientist :shock: , I changed back to plastic at one point, and sure enough, the "cat acne" started to come back.
That was the end of ALL plastic food or water dishes forever, here.

RM

four7s

Post by four7s » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:33 pm

Our kitties have had urinary issues and we solved the problem with Purina UR cat food. It comes in wet or nugget form and is available ( I think ) only from a vet. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems since they began the UR last year.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:44 pm

lululu wrote:I ordered the Drinkwell Pagoda Porcelain Pet Drinking Fountain. motivated mostly by the comment about plastics. I dimly recall one of my previous cats having a problem with plastic.

Just as an FYI, because it seems to come as a surprise to some people based on the Amazon reviews, all fountains will have at least some plastic parts for the pump and its housing. Cat fountains use aquarium/terrarium pumps, and those are primarily plastic.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:52 pm

four7s wrote:Our kitties have had urinary issues and we solved the problem with Purina UR cat food. It comes in wet or nugget form and is available ( I think ) only from a vet. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems since they began the UR last year.

You can get feline Purina UR from a reseller on Amazon, but, in my case, it is actually cheaper to get it from my vet. This is the prescription food that my elderly cat eats to control kidney stone formation, so I looked into online merchants to see if I could get it anywhere else for less.

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:02 pm

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:37 pm

lynneny wrote:My cats won't drink from their water dish either, and they ignore the cat fountain I bought them. But for some unknown reason they like drinking from the flower vase in the living room, so I just add fresh water to that every day (and no longer put flowers in it).

Sounds like something they could tip over and break???

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:12 pm

We use a fishtank backpack filter on a large bowl for our three cats.

It has a "waterfall" at the filter and a lot of relatively still water, which I think they like.

lululu

Post by lululu » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:41 am

Mudpuppy wrote:
four7s wrote:Our kitties have had urinary issues and we solved the problem with Purina UR cat food. It comes in wet or nugget form and is available ( I think ) only from a vet. Knock on wood we haven't had any problems since they began the UR last year.

You can get feline Purina UR from a reseller on Amazon, but, in my case, it is actually cheaper to get it from my vet. This is the prescription food that my elderly cat eats to control kidney stone formation, so I looked into online merchants to see if I could get it anywhere else for less.

I'm glad to know that, as the vet for my new kitty is adamant that I only give him CD urinary food not any other brand. She sells CD. The cat is not eating enough of it to maintain his weight. The prescription requirement had me stymied. I am looking for a new vet for that and other reasons.

Are there other sources of prescription urinary cat foods that anyone knows of where a prescription is not necessary?

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:56 am

You can ask your vet to fax the prescription to the store or web site that sells the prescription cat food. They have no problem doing that.

Petsmart stores have an in-store vet service that will write your cat a prescription.

We bought Hills Prescription UD and Royal Canid UD. Both require prescriptions. I got them both at our vet's office and also at Petsmart where they were slightly cheaper.

Royal Canid also sells a canned food that is high in calories for keeping weight on cats with kidney disease. Can't recall the name offhand, and it was awful hard to find. Royal Canid Recovery? Something like that.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:14 am

For specialty cat foods, including "prescription" foods, you can try online pet supply vendors, especially those geared toward breeders.
They may have a broader selection, and they might be able to offer suggestions about which tend to be most appealing, keeping in mind that each cat will have its own preferences, to put it mildly.

AFAIK, "prescription" pet foods aren't really regulated the pet *meds* are. These are often pet versions of human meds, plus some that are specifically for non-humans, obviously (things like distemper vaccine come to mind...)

It's been a while since we needed to purchase any of these supplies (all the other fuzzy family members are now in kitty heaven, unfortunately :( ) so I am not certain whether the "rules" have changed.

In fact, until relatively recently (no knowledge of change, just no recent experience), one could purchase some drugs and med/vet supplies that were for both humans and pets, things that needed an Rx at a regular drug store. Obviously most things, including controlled substances, were *not* available this way.

RM

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:34 pm

I'm not positive on this, but it's my understanding that prescription pet foods are controlled by contract, not by regulation. In other words, the reseller has a contract with the vendor to only sell by prescription, but there's no law mandating that. Pet medications on the other hand are controlled by regulation.

The contract might also prevent the veterinarian from selling alternative brands (e.g. an exclusivity clause). If your current veterinarian has such a contract with Hills/Science Diet, then she is pretty much stuck with c/d for urinary tract prescription food, even if your cat won't eat it. Although it would have been nice had she just told you that, or recommended alternative veterinarians who could provide a different urinary food.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:10 pm

We have a cat who gets urinary crystals. We got him a fountain and he wouldn't go near it. Then we started squeezing a few teaspoons of water from a can of water-packed tuna into his water and now he drinks lots.

Well, actually then the other cat got diabetes so we started feeding them both wet food and it took care of the water issue, as well, so we don't bother with the tuna juice any more. But before we switched to wet food that's what we did and it worked like a charm!

Also, we did a lot of research and the crappiest, cheapest wet food is still better than the most expensive dry food for cats. We paid like $30 a bag for a small bag of urinary cat food and it didn't help at all. Moving to cheap friskies "special diet" (low in cards for the diabetic one) has solved 100% of our problems with both cats. Like a miracle.

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:14 pm

Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

Carlton

Post by Carlton » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Have 2 of these little water dispensers for my cats. They work just like the human upside-down water jug coolers. The cats seem to like them, the only problem is they move the bowl so they can watch and hear the water bubbling in the container. Sometimes they'll move the dispenser 10' in one night.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/172206-aspen-pet-lebistro-1-gallon-pet-water-dispenser-breeze.html

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:13 pm

Had 2 older kitties that had kidney problems (as most cats do when they get old) and urinary tract problems/crystals and needed to be encouraged to drink more water for the last couple years of their lives. Some suggestions:

1. As others have said - add water to the food. I would go further and encourage you to experiment with adding A LOT of water, as much as your kitty will tolerate. One of our cats would eat it wet food almost soupy and was fine with eating it that way. So, it's worth experimenting a bit to see exactly how soupy your cat will eat wet food.
2. Try warming the food and rewarming if they will come back to it. This might them to eat more and get more of the added water in to them.
3. Try warming their water and provide warm, fresh water often during the day. This might seem overly fussy, but if you have a cat that isn't drinking well, this may work well. Our cats greatly preferred warm water and definitely drank more because of it.
4. Talk to your vet EARLY about if/when your cat might require Subcutaneous fluids due to dehydration, if fluid intake gets particularly low. If there is the prospect you might need to give the cat SubQ fluids, knowing it early helps to get in the frame of mind of actually having to do it. Depending on the cat, it's relatively easy to do once you have done it, but it's pretty intimidating the first few times.
5. If you vet does not track it for you, begin to keep the blood test results for your kitty, particularly for the kidney function indicators. It's instructive to have this information over time and familiarize yourself with the values and what the ranges are. If you get to a point that kitty has more serious problems, it will be easier if you are already familiar with BUN (Blood Urea Nitrogen) and the other kidney indicators (I forget what they are off hand).

Fluid intake is very urgent for kitties, as even a couple of days of zero to low fluid intake can cause irreversible harm to kidney's.

Not meaning to scare the OP - just want to provide some background from one cat owner that has gone through these issues.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:20 am

All cats will become dehydrated and get kidney problems if they only eat dry food.

Cats need to eat wet food. It's where they get their hydration. They will not drink enough water if they're only on dry food; they have a very low thirst drive, but their bodies need water!

Please, cat owners, before you give your cat another pellet of dry food, read this: http://www.catinfo.org/

Go about halfway down the page and read about poor Opie. It's heart-breaking.

Short version here: http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Feeding%20Y ... 011-13.pdf

packet

Post by packet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:16 am

Keep a very close eye on your kitty, urinary tract issues are extremely painful and life threatening.

Disclosure: I am not a vet, but have 6 six cats ranging in age from 2 years to 19 years.

lululu wrote:... the vet for my new kitty is adamant that I only give him CD urinary food not any other brand. She sells CD. ... I am looking for a new vet for that and other reasons.

Good for you on looking for a new Vet. As with financial advisers recommending products they sell... Vets are not immune to greed ... :(

lululu wrote:Are there other sources of prescription urinary cat foods that anyone knows of where a prescription is not necessary?

There's no such thing as prescription cat food. This is a marketing ploy. I have a diabetic cat that has responded very well to "prescription" Purina DM (my avatar with human teeth ... :D ). This can be purchased anywhere online, i often go to chewy.com where it says plainly that you "must have a prescription from your vet"... but you don't, just order it and it will show up. The whole prescription thing is a scam perpetrated by the food manufacturers and the Vets... :( ... unfortunately, some manufactures only sell to vets in order to perpetrate this myth ...

Also, wet food is the only way to go. The worst wet food out there is better than the best dry. Cats tend not to drink much water straight up and thus need to get the majority of moisture from their food. You can experiment with adding water to wet food but never add water to dry food! Adding water to dry food and leaving it out will likely mold. Don't worry about leaving wet food out, a cats digestive system works much faster and differently than ours an thus handles bacteria etc much better (plus properly canned wet food has much less bacteria to start with) ... ever see cats living out of garbage cans? Anyway, we feed our kitties wet food only, twice per day... and leave it out while away at work and over night. Been doing this for many years without issue.

We've also found that water sources away from their food source works very well. We place a water bowl in each room that has a sink (3 for us)... which makes refreshing them easy for us (refresh the water at least a couple times per day). I've read that cats prefer drinking sources away from food sources due to their killer instinct... in the wild they would pretty much never eat their pray at a water source... they would eat, then move on to finding water wherever they could. Sounds cool, so I go with it... :)

Good luck!

:beerCheers,
Packet
First round’s on me.

bpp

Post by bpp » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:40 am

Buysider wrote:You can also try ice ... I have a cat that loves cold water. If I put an ice cube in a tray, he will pounce on it and lick half way down. Seems to work for him!

My cat's the same. Loves ice water.

She's a rescue cat with health issues, including oral inflammation, so I thought the ice helped ease the mouth pain, but perhaps it is a more general preference among cats?

Can't get her to take much wet food -- definitely prefers dry -- but ice water seems to be a big hit.

Easy to try, anyway.

lululu

Post by lululu » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:55 am

Drat. I got almost to the end of placing an order on chewy.com, and then it flagged two of the three items as Vet approval required. I do have an appointment with another vet coming up.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:23 am

lululu wrote:Drat. I got almost to the end of placing an order on chewy.com, and then it flagged two of the three items as Vet approval required. I do have an appointment with another vet coming up.

Try googling the items to see if you can find a vendor who doesn't require a "prescription" or other form of vet involvement.

It's been a couple of years, but for a couple of decades, we used a few suppliers ("800 numbers" back in the day, not online, of course) and not only did we not need a vet's "permission", but they had vet specialists who could assist with some decisions on foods, and some meds & supplies as well.

If still the case, they may also have a wider selection of foods to choose from, and you can find something your cat prefers.
(Unfortunately, I don't remember offhand the names of the vendors we mostly used. In our case, our vets knew, and had no objection, which helped.)

Good luck.

RM

packet

Post by packet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:49 am

lululu wrote:Drat. I got almost to the end of placing an order on chewy.com, and then it flagged two of the three items as Vet approval required. I do have an appointment with another vet coming up.

well... i apologize for that... they must be getting paid off by the maker of the food you're trying to get ... like i said before, the food I get says it's required, but the order hasn't been blocked yet (3 orders so far)...

Just noticed you're trying to get Hills brand... they are probably the worst for enforcing "prescription" diets. I'm not a big fan of Hills in general... :/ ... not a big fan of Purina either, but it did get my cat out of needing insulin shots...

There are many "urinary track health" labeled foods out there, you don't need to get Hills. Moisture (wet food) is the only real key part to all of this.

Again tho, I am not a vet... call another vet and ask about Hills vs whatever for your particular cat and issue(s) ... also, the catinfo.org site mentioned above has a lot of good info (if you can get past all the doom and gloom and vet/food maker bashing).

Cheers,
Packet
First round’s on me.

packet

Post by packet » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:04 am

fyi... i just added Hills CD to my cart (didn't place the order) at Amazon and i didn't see any "prescription" warnings... I guess Hill's just couldn't pass on the potential $$ from Amazon ... :)

don't forget to use the amazon link from Bogleheads!

Cheers,
Packet
First round’s on me.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 am

packet wrote:fyi... i just added Hills CD to my cart (didn't place the order) at Amazon and i didn't see any "prescription" warnings... I guess Hill's just couldn't pass on the potential $$ from Amazon ... :)

Or it's an unauthorized reseller of Hills products. I noticed that pretty much all the vendors listed for the canned Hills c/d have very few ratings. This is not a good sign when buying from Amazon Marketplace. That's an indication of a shop that keeps popping up with a new name every time Amazon de-lists the old name for violating some policy (e.g. unauthorized or counterfeit products).

Edit: Interestingly, there's a lot of vendors that ship from Japan. And there does appear to be one domestic vendor with more than 6 months of listing history, which is a good sign. That could mean it's a legitimate, but low-volume, merchant. It would cost $76 with shipping to get a case of the food from that vendor though.

pellep

Post by pellep » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:49 am

packet wrote:Good for you on looking for a new Vet. As with financial advisers recommending products they sell... Vets are not immune to greed ... :(

lululu wrote:Are there other sources of prescription urinary cat foods that anyone knows of where a prescription is not necessary?

There's no such thing as prescription cat food. This is a marketing ploy. I have a diabetic cat that has responded very well to "prescription" Purina DM (my avatar with human teeth ... :D ). This can be purchased anywhere online, i often go to chewy.com where it says plainly that you "must have a prescription from your vet"... but you don't, just order it and it will show up. The whole prescription thing is a scam perpetrated by the food manufacturers and the Vets... :( ... unfortunately, some manufactures only sell to vets in order to perpetrate this myth ...

Packet

Please be careful with prescription diets. Choosing one should be based on the results of blood and urine testing. While some of them are truly harmless, some (if fed to the wrong animal) are not.

Prescription foods account for 3% of the income to our hospital. The markup is minimal.

Every state has different prescribing guidelines written by the state medical board. "Scam" and "marketing" it is not...

From the MA state board:

Policy No. 08-02

Purpose:

The purpose of this policy statement is to offer guidance regarding those circumstances in which prescription veterinary diets may be dispensed by a non-prescribing veterinarian to animals in the Commonwealth with whom the veterinarian does not have a genuine veterinarian-client patient relationship.

Policy:

Under normal circumstances, an individual holding a license issued by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Veterinary Medicine to practice veterinary medicine in the Commonwealth may dispense or prescribe veterinary diets only in the course of his or her professional practice after establishing a genuine veterinarian-client patient relationship as required in 256 CMR 7.01(1).

However, the Board recognizes that prescription veterinary diets are available only by prescription through a veterinarian, and that veterinarians may at times not stock all available veterinary diets necessary to save life or relieve suffering. Additionally, clients may not have ready access to the prescription diets for a variety of reasons, such as closure of the prescribing veterinarian's office on a particular day or lack of geographical proximity to the diet. Consequently, it is Board policy that in situations like those described above, another veterinarian who does not have a genuine veterinary-client patient relationship with that animal may dispense a prescribed veterinary diet to that animal.

A non-prescribing veterinarian may dispense a prescription veterinary diet for the treatment of a patient upon receiving the authorization of the prescribing licensed veterinarian, provided that:

(1) If the dispensing veterinarian creates a medical record, then that record should contain all the information required by 256 CMR 5.01; and

(2) The prescription is written, or transmitted by any electronic means, in accordance with M.G.L. c. 94C. If the prescribing veterinarian is not known to the dispensing veterinarian, the dispensing veterinarian must make a reasonable good faith effort to determine that the prescription came from a licensed veterinarian, including a callback to the prescribing veterinarian using his or her phone number listed in the telephone directory or other good faith efforts to verify his or her identity.

Authority: M.G.L. Chapter 112, Section 58; and 256 CMR 1.00 et seq.