Ashley Furniture

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jay22

Ashley Furniture

Post by jay22 »

Has anyone here bought furniture from Ashley Furniture Store? We went there recently and liked the stuff, even though it seemed a bit more expensive that other stores. I don't mind spending the extra money if product is of good quality. Any reviews you guys can give? Thanks.
BobStrauss

Re: Ashley Furniture

Post by BobStrauss »

I'm not a real big fan. I think Craigslist and antique shows are the way to go for major furniture purchases. Perhaps West Elm, IKEA, Pottery Barn, Crate & Barrel, or even Etsy for specific pieces that are just difficult to find, or for rugs. Most of the furniture I've seen at places like Ashley are of the modern variety that doesn't seem to age well, in my opinion.
matonplayer

Post by matonplayer »

+1 for Craig's list. Seems to me like the markup on furniture is outrageous and we've had very good luck buying used on Craig's list, the county virtual swap meet on FB, etc.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I agree that markup in furniture stores is high. Another factor is depreciation is also very high.

The result is if you can find what you want on Craig's List you are likely to get a far better price. However that's not always possible. What I would do if I was feeling fussy is snoop around on places like Garden Web for recommendations on outlets.
TT

Post by TT »

jay22 wrote:Has anyone here bought furniture from Ashley Furniture Store? We went there recently and liked the stuff, even though it seemed a bit more expensive that other stores. I don't mind spending the extra money if product is of good quality. Any reviews you guys can give? Thanks.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/ashley.html
86% rated @ 1 star
Ashley Furniture
838Complaints & Reviews

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

5/5 1%
4/5 0%
3/5 0%
2/5 12%
1/5 86%
based on 620 ratings
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

We bought living room and dining room furniture from Ashley a few years ago, but my imporession of them was very different than yours. They are one of the cheaper furniture stores I've seen, and the quality of the furniture reflects that. The stuff they sell is very lightweight and not very durable.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

We purchased 5-7 pieces from them, bedroom set, coffee table ect. It was middle of the road priced for us and has been holding up well (about 2 years old now), so no complaints. I would never buy any furniture from an ikea or value city you plan to use, it has all fallen apart on me
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

If you're not comfortable buying from individuals on Craigslist, try to find some furniture consignment stores. Sometimes they clump together in one area. You'll pay a little more (and don't hesitate to make an offer) but the experience is less stressful. You may have to make several visits before you find something you want, but you may find it enjoyable. I don't think Ashley furniture will last long enough to ever wind up in such a store.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

TT wrote:
jay22 wrote:Has anyone here bought furniture from Ashley Furniture Store? We went there recently and liked the stuff, even though it seemed a bit more expensive that other stores. I don't mind spending the extra money if product is of good quality. Any reviews you guys can give? Thanks.
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/furniture/ashley.html
86% rated @ 1 star
Ashley Furniture
838Complaints & Reviews

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.19/5

5/5 1%
4/5 0%
3/5 0%
2/5 12%
1/5 86%
based on 620 ratings
It shows very similar for chipotle..or any other good brand that I can think of. Point is only sour people will be there to complain. So please take this review system with a grain of salt.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/food/chipotle.html
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
ram

Post by ram »

Moderate quality at a moderate price. I never buy at their full price. There are frequent specials. I am comparing for brand new furniture purchase only ( Craigslist excluded).
Ram
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

We bought dining room furniture from Ashley Furniture about 10 years ago. Overall, we've been happy with the purchase. Everything has held up well so far and still looks great. The price was reasonable as well. I think their quality varies and some furniture there is not all that great while other pieces are fine or even good. Most of the furniture in our home has been purchased at other places; Ashley just happened to have a dining set we liked. Our experience with that one set has been positive.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Ashley makes garbage.
steadierfooting

Post by steadierfooting »

We bought our living room set from them 2.5 years ago. It still looks brand new. The sales are all gimmicky, so just monitor the prices for a few weeks to get an idea of what the real cost is.

I would not consider them high quality by any means. When compared to raymour or ethan allen you can feel the difference, but I'm satisfied enough for the price.

Same thing goes for american signature furniture. 2.5 years into it,still looks brand new. Hoping the bedroom set lasts forever.

I've also been very happy with Ikea couches. I bought 2 leather sofas from them in 2005 and they are still going strong. They weren't bottom of the line ikea crap.
Skiffy

Post by Skiffy »

We bought family room furniture last year from Ashley's. The dog and cat scratched up the "pleather" furniture. The wood furniture (3 pieces) had the veneer separate from shelves and front. In other words we aren't that happy with the quality. Maybe you won't be so hard on it as we have been.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

We ordered a dining room table and chairs from them a few weeks ago. They haven't been delivered yet, so I can't speak to quality. But Ashley was the only store where we found a table of the size and style we were looking for.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

We bought a breakfast table and chairs about 1.5 years ago during one of their "sales."

We looked all over for this particular size with leather backed chairs and they were the only store that offered it. The price was pretty decent as well. The set is still in good shape.

We went back a few months later for a couch and I found their couches to be uncomfortable and cheap. If I was looking for another table and chairs, I would buy from them again.

-E
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I prefer to support local stores than a chain store. We have several local furniture companies that I've supported in the past. Some are specialty stores (e.g. one specializes in pre-finished and in-house finished wood furniture, another specializes in leather furniture). Others are traditional furniture stores, with factory direct orders available from a variety of manufacturers (including Ashley if one were so inclined). It just seems like a better use of my money to support local businesses, instead of some franchise owner.
Jill07

Post by Jill07 »

As others have mentioned, you really can find some great deals on Craigslist, especially if you are looking for a dining room set. There are a lot of people downsizing and they just want to get rid of stuff. Many dining room sets have only been used on special occasions and are usually in very good condition. You can also pick up an entire set of china too.

Jill
lululu

Post by lululu »

I have some furniture my grandparents bought. From time to time additional pieces show up on ebay and if the finish and so on looks good and the buyer has lots of ratings and nearly 100% approval, I buy them. It's well made, solid stuff and the original pieces have held up since the 1930s. Usually several hundred dollars for each piece on ebay, except the little pieces are less, of course.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

In the universe of furniture stores Ashley is lower-end. Not terrible stuff, generally looks OK, cheap not quality construction.

Good furniture costs. It's one of those things that it is cheaper not to develop a taste for, like good wine and prime beef. If you do make it one of the things that you spend money on- good furniture will last forever, will still look good when it gets dinged, and might end up valued by your heirs.
goaties

Post by goaties »

Fixing/restoring/reupholstering furniture is one of my avocations. Ashley is not good quality stuff. You can buy older mahogany dining room table/chairs for $600 in our area at consignment shops, craigslist, auctions. Antique furniture is selling at bargain prices these days. Not sure why, but that's what I would suggest. At least take a look at consignment shops in your area. Maybe even thrift shops in wealthy neighborhoods.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

flyingbison wrote:We bought living room and dining room furniture from Ashley a few years ago, but my imporession of them was very different than yours. They are one of the cheaper furniture stores I've seen, and the quality of the furniture reflects that. The stuff they sell is very lightweight and not very durable.
+1. I have done a lot of furniture shopping in recent years. Ashley is low end furniture that may initially look nice but is of poor quality and will not last.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

ram wrote:Moderate quality at a moderate price. I never buy at their full price. There are frequent specials. I am comparing for brand new furniture purchase only ( Craigslist excluded).
This. Dunk & Bright, or Raymour & Flanigan (if in your area) will make them Ashley look dirt cheap. Stickley furniture has sky high prices. There are cheaper brands out there (Value City, or American Signature, can't remember what they are called now, but we bought a solid wood table from them that has lasted ~7 years so far)

We have a bedroom set from Ashley, and I can say that it is medium build quality. Better than what you'll get with cheap stuff from retail stores (Ikea, Target, etc...), but not necessarily high quality with dovetail construction. The set we bought I got at a great discount, as I offered to take most of their "scratched/broken" stuff along with some new pieces and negotiated a price discount on both the "broken" stuff and the new stuff. For example, I took the headboard and side boards on a bed and had them order a new foot board (the piece that was destroyed that would never sell to anyone as it looked like it was run into with a fork lift).
scone

Post by scone »

I just looked over the web site and I wasn't terribly impressed. The better brands provide a "specifications sheet" giving details on how the piece was made. There's nothing on Ashley "quality" other than some marketing video which is meaningless.

Personally I avoid Criagslist, partly for security reasons and partly because of the possibility of fleas and bed bugs. I would never buy from a hotel liquidator or a flea market. Mattresses should be bought new and sealed in plastic, and preferably not delivered in the same trucks that haul away old mattresses.

I like the high end consignment shops, since the furniture is better quality, and sometimes brand new, as they get dealer overstocks. The better furniture dealers and consignment shops are acutely aware of the bed bug issue, and they do inspect anything coming in. But of course, you will never hear them breathe a word of this.

For more info on furniture, try the GardenWeb Furniture sub-forum. They are the best: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/furniture/
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

scone wrote: Personally I avoid Criagslist, partly for security reasons and partly because of the possibility of fleas and bed bugs. I would never buy from a hotel liquidator or a flea market. Mattresses should be bought new and sealed in plastic, and preferably not delivered in the same trucks that haul away old mattresses.
How likely is a bedbug problem? I have some mattresses in storage at a good storage place, and I'm about ready to take them out now that I've finished work on part of the house. But I'm beginning to wonder about bedbugs. If I hadn't heard so many bad things about modern mattresses, I'd be tempted to get rid of these old but perfectly fine mattresses.
Statch

Post by Statch »

We had to get some furniture in a hurry ten years ago, and bought a 3-piece reclining vinyl living room set from Ashley on a good sale. Four moves later, it still looks like it did when we bought it. Unfortunate, since I never really liked it and would like an excuse to replace it :( but I can't complain about the quality. It's been in the family room for the last several years so gets a lot of use.
wtupden86

Post by wtupden86 »

I used to work at Ashley furniture for 7 years. I can tell you that the furniture is not very high quality. It is 3-5 year furniture, and the same quality as Rooms to go furniture. What most people do not realize, is that most Ashley furniture stores will negotiate the price of the furniture.
Here is a tip to find out how much wiggle room the store has to negotiate. Find the porter bedroom set. Look at the queen size sleigh bed. The store can sell that bed at around $500. Based on how much they are selling that for you can determine how much additional markup the store has on their products.

Hope that helps you out a bit.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Ashley sells cheap furniture that is made in China. You can tell it's cheap by the joints, which are glued or stapled together. It will probably look and work perfectly fine for a number of years, but don't expect to pass it down to your children or grandchildren. For that kind of quality, you pay handsomely these days.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

We bought a sofa and loveseat from Ashley 12 years ago. They are still OK. The fabric, a twill, has actually held up really well. The cushions however are getting somewhat uneven.
BarbaricYawp

Post by BarbaricYawp »

Try HomeDecorators.com instead. They were bought out by Home Depot a few years ago, so have a solid return policy. I've purchased from them several times (bathroom vanities, rugs) and the quality has been excellent and roughly 20% less than West Elm and the like. We're not talking heirloom pieces here, but what they sell is solid wood with good finishes. The delivery people were not only timely, they were actually at the early end of the time range they gave me :shock: were polite and went the extra mile.
"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." --Dorothy Parker
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

flyingbison wrote:We bought living room and dining room furniture from Ashley a few years ago, but my imporession of them was very different than yours. They are one of the cheaper furniture stores I've seen, and the quality of the furniture reflects that. The stuff they sell is very lightweight and not very durable.
Agreed. We purchased some office furniture from them knowing exactly what we were getting - fairly nice looking but low quality furniture. Every piece we received required some sort of repair - which was done by their very busy field service person - and still isn't perfect, but good enough for the price. We had to send the chair back because it wouldn't roll properly. Getting problems resolved with them is like dealing with a huge bureaucracy but we did finally get things taken care of. Picking up a back-ordered item at the warehouse was a half-day long ordeal.

Contrary to flyiongbison, the pieces we purchased were very heavy. Not because they were good quality but because they're made of composite material that is much heavier than solid wood, but not as durable. I never want to have to move it - I'll sell it on Craigslist and let someone pick it up! :-)
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
scone

Post by scone »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
scone wrote: Personally I avoid Criagslist, partly for security reasons and partly because of the possibility of fleas and bed bugs. I would never buy from a hotel liquidator or a flea market. Mattresses should be bought new and sealed in plastic, and preferably not delivered in the same trucks that haul away old mattresses.
How likely is a bedbug problem? I have some mattresses in storage at a good storage place, and I'm about ready to take them out now that I've finished work on part of the house. But I'm beginning to wonder about bedbugs. If I hadn't heard so many bad things about modern mattresses, I'd be tempted to get rid of these old but perfectly fine mattresses.
I don't even know how to calculate the probabilities. I only know that every comment I've ever read about people who have experienced this problem stresses how traumatic and miserable it is. I've never had bedbugs in my home, but I've lived in old apartments with cockroaches when I was a student, and that's nasty. It doesn't matter how clean you are if the apartment next door doesn't fight them off too.

I imagine bugs can travel between one storage compartment and another, just as easily as they move from one apartment to another. So, to me, it's not so much the probability of this happening, it's all about the high level of misery and trouble you will get if this does happen. I don't think it's worth the risk, even if the risk is small.

In any case, the dollar value of your old mattresses is approximately zero, so keeping them because they are "perfectly good" is costing you in storage fees. Quite frankly, the same probably goes for most stuff in storage containers. The only good reason to keep old furniture is where you are certain you will reuse it fairly quickly, and the replacement cost is high. Otherwise, it's cheaper to sell it, give it away, or dump it.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 »

Thanks for all the replies. I am hesitant to buy any "soft" furniture (couch, mattress) from Craigslist/thrift stores because of obvious reasons. Don't want to deal with online stores because returns will be a pain if I need to make one. I know I can get a better deal from online stores, but I don't want to deal with that hassle.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Rupert wrote:Ashley sells cheap furniture that is made in China. You can tell it's cheap by the joints, which are glued or stapled together. It will probably look and work perfectly fine for a number of years, but don't expect to pass it down to your children or grandchildren. For that kind of quality, you pay handsomely these days.
And then in all liklihood your kids or grand kids won't have any interest in it anyway.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Rupert wrote:Ashley sells cheap furniture that is made in China. You can tell it's cheap by the joints, which are glued or stapled together. It will probably look and work perfectly fine for a number of years, but don't expect to pass it down to your children or grandchildren. For that kind of quality, you pay handsomely these days.
And then in all liklihood your kids or grand kids won't have any interest in it anyway.
I am not looking to buy furniture to pass on to my heirs in any case. As long it can give me 10 years of good service, that's all I care about. :)
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Try Costco. We have purchased a kid's bedroom set, sectional for our rec room, TV stand, and a couple of wood file cabinets. We are happy with all of it.

We also purchased an outdoor table and chair set that we loved, however it didn't hold up well at all. We returned it when it was 3 years old, it was no longer usable. They gave us a full refund. Granted, this type of defect was probably pretty rare, but it was nice to know the store stands behind their products.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
smpatel

Post by smpatel »

We bought whole house furniture with insurance and it has worked well in last six years, no major complaints. It is cheaper than Ethan Allen for sure.
One suggestion, go to Ashley look around, notice what you like and then search the same item online. You will find a better deal even with the delivery charge! That is what we did with our dining room purchase.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

Judging by some of the comments Ashley's quality may have gone down, I don't know. What I do know, is the two pieces ( an Antigo dining set and a coffee table ) that we purchased about 10 years ago have held up nicely. The only complaint I have is the coffee table is a little too solid and is a real shin banger, that sucker can really zing you.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

You won't find much real wood, there.
I don't eat ramen noodles because I'm poor. No, I'm rich because I eat ramen noodles. | -moewcat
sesq

Post by sesq »

I have an office set from them. Its fine. Not heirloom quality or anything, but it gets the job done. We went in to get an extra file cabinet recently and the real young sales guy would make a used car dealer blush. I was pretty annoyed at the run around to get to a price as they kept trying to entice us with another permutation.

We were going to pick it up to save delivery until the guy said it would be unassembled unless delivered. I made an ikea crack and all of a sudden the delivery/assembly fee was waived.

For office furniture or a coffee table it seems fine. I wouldn't buy a dining set or couch there as I would doubt the quality.
LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ »

Ugh - don't do it. Buying cheap furniture is like throwing your money away. Either buy one piece at a time at a reputable place like Crate & Barrel, Ethan Allen, Room & Board, etc. or go to estate sales and buy older good quality furniture.
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Buying furniture is rough. It really depends on what your goals are. Unfortunately good quality furniture is very expensive. I have always preferred quality over quantity, so I prefer to pay the premium for good furniture that will last. Most large retail places do not use real wood. Ashley, IKEA, etc. are good for children's furniture and for pieces that you only want to get 5-10 years out of. If you want something made of real wood that will last 10+ years, you will have to pay the premium. We get most of our stuff from RH and local woodworkers who use reclaimed wood.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

DireWolf wrote:Buying furniture is rough. It really depends on what your goals are. Unfortunately good quality furniture is very expensive. I have always preferred quality over quantity, so I prefer to pay the premium for good furniture that will last. Most large retail places do not use real wood. Ashley, IKEA, etc. are good for children's furniture and for pieces that you only want to get 5-10 years out of. If you want something made of real wood that will last 10+ years, you will have to pay the premium. We get most of our stuff from RH and local woodworkers who use reclaimed wood.

Yes it does depend on your goals, but also on expected treatment. If you have kids, the furniture will likely take a beating. Our Ashley pieces look nearly as good as the day we bought them 10 years ago, but we have no kids and treat our stuff with reasonable care. The furniture itself is slate topped and metal frame, no exposed wood. Our goals we're something kind of stylish, not too expensive, and with a solid feel. The Ashley stuff fit those requirements and the durability was a bonus.