What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
shell921

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by shell921 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 pm

I am always reading multiple titles-at same time. Here are 2 I am reading currently:

Aging Backwards: Updated and Revised Edition: Reverse the Aging Process and Look 10 Years Younger in 30 Minutes a Day
by Miranda Esmonde-White

American Values: Lessons I Learned from My Family
by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm

The Public Domain Review: Selected Essays Vol. I Essays and Reviews from my new favorite website https://publicdomainreview.org/. The opening chapter, a review of the 1906 book The Criminal Prosecution and Capital Punishment of Animals, gives a good sense of the sorts of curiosities and obscurities featured there.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:24 pm

"The Battle Of The Wilderness", by Gordon C. Rhea (Louisiana State University Press 1994).

In June 2018, I traveled to Virginia and visited 4 Civil War battlefields in 4 days: Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania. No matter how much you prepare yourself by studying the specifics of each battle beforehand, more questions about them will pop into your head after you have finished with your perambulations and consider what you have seen up close. I consider the troop movements in the Wilderness battle to be the most complicated to follow, with those of Chancellorsville a close second. Rhea's book has proven to be absolutely superb in clearing up any confusions I had concerning the clash between the armies of Lee and Grant in this godforsaken, 2nd growth forest during the first week of May 1864. If you are a CW history buff, it is a must read. Rhea has written several other books about Grant's Overland campaign; after so thoroughly enjoying this effort from him, I can't wait to get to them.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pm

zeal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 pm
By recommendation of If You Can, I'm reading Thomas Stanley and William Danko's The Millionaire Next Door. About 30 pages in, can't put it down. If you haven't read If You Can, then do so--it's only a few pages.

After starting this book, I plan to follow all of the If You Can book recommendations...
Thank you for linking that! Looks very promising.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Squirm, by Carl Hiaasen.

A 14year old Florida boy who likes snakes in particular and wild animals in general, connects with his long-absent father, and . . . . (I don't want to spoil the book for anyone).

I recommend this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 pm

"The New Iberia Blues", the newest Dave Robicheaux book by James Lee Burke. Like all of the books in the Dave Robicheaux series, a page turner and totally enjoyable.

Dave

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm
jdb wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Started to reread The Iliad. Forgot how violent it is, even though epic poem. Remembered last one I read was translation by Samuel Butler. Remembered how great his novel was. Ended up re reading The Way Of All Flesh, one of my all time favorites. And only reason I got book was cause found a leather bound old Easton Press edition with illustrations and good sized font in my favorite Chicago used book store last year. Highly recommend especially if find leather bound edition in used book store. Still am looking at The Iliad.
What translation of the Iliad on 2nd read? The Iliad is a tough read and a good translation can make the difference between getting through it or not! And yes, it is a gore fest.

I think the Odyssey is more accessible because the stories are more interesting and there are some good lines in it. Zeus to his daughter Athena after she makes a suggestion Zeus disagrees with:
  • My child, what nonsense you let slip through your teeth.
    -- Odyssey, Book 1, Fagles translation
Do you have children? :happy

I also appreciate a well-made book, especially one I'm going to be with for a while.
I actually just finished the Iliad (Caroline Alexander transation) today! Now I am onto the Odyssey (Emily Wilson translation).
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

knpstr wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm
I actually just finished the Iliad (Caroline Alexander transation) today! Now I am onto the Odyssey (Emily Wilson translation).
I went back and forth between the Emily Wilson translation and the Fagles translation. I like those two the best, but I was never sure which one I liked better.

hdas

Post by hdas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm

The Quest
Energy, Security and the Remaking of the Modern World
By Daniel Yergin
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

My reading has been hijacked by the WSJ of all things. Started to reread one of my favorite novels, Les Miserables. Got through the first hundred pages. But then read in Wall Street Journal this weekend an opinion piece about the great writing by Cicero entitled “”Cato The Elder: On Old Age”. And of course I happened to have a old leather bound Folio Society edition of Cicero entitled “On The Good Life” which I had never read and which included the Old Age writing. Long story short, loved the essay, so much so that have put aside Les Mis to read Cicero. Jean Valjean and Cosette and Inspector Javert will have to wait their turn. They can blame the WSJ.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm

The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems by Martin Gardner
Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; | Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; | Thy fate is the common fate of all, | Into each life some rain must fall, | Some days must be dark and dreary. | Longfellow

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Calli114 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 am
DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am
I just finished The Obesity Code.

Fantastic book. Highly recommended.

Great thread here. I use it to build my reading list. Well done everyone.
I also recently finished The Obesity Code. Makes a lot of sense. Too bad at the moment my fridge is the fullest it gets, so fasting will have to wait for 2019 I guess. There have been some days I'll eat in a 6-8 hour window.

Just started reading Why We Sleep, which seems to be highly regarded.
I hadn't heard of "Why We Sleep" until your post introduced me to it--I got the book. I'm not finished yet, but it has already improved the quality of my life. Recommended.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm

jdb wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm
My reading has been hijacked by the WSJ of all things. Started to reread one of my favorite novels, Les Miserables. Got through the first hundred pages. But then read in Wall Street Journal this weekend an opinion piece about the great writing by Cicero entitled “”Cato The Elder: On Old Age”. And of course I happened to have a old leather bound Folio Society edition of Cicero entitled “On The Good Life” which I had never read and which included the Old Age writing. Long story short, loved the essay, so much so that have put aside Les Mis to read Cicero. Jean Valjean and Cosette and Inspector Javert will have to wait their turn. They can blame the WSJ.
If anyone's interested, a translation of this was recently published by Princeton as "How to Grow Old"--part of the "Ancient Wisdom for Modern Readers" series--books by Epictetus, Cicero, the other Cicero, and Seneca in nice little bilingual volumes. There are about eight so far, with a couple more coming out next month.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 am

Finridge wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm
Calli114 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 am
DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am
I just finished The Obesity Code.

Fantastic book. Highly recommended.

Great thread here. I use it to build my reading list. Well done everyone.
I also recently finished The Obesity Code. Makes a lot of sense. Too bad at the moment my fridge is the fullest it gets, so fasting will have to wait for 2019 I guess. There have been some days I'll eat in a 6-8 hour window.

Just started reading Why We Sleep, which seems to be highly regarded.

I hadn't heard of "Why We Sleep" until your post introduced me to it--I got the book. I'm not finished yet, but it has already improved the quality of my life. Recommended.

I have also not finished "Why We Sleep," but the part about fish sleeping with only half of their brain at a time was fascinating. Also, I think many people don't understand that you absolutely cannot "catch up" on a sleep deficit. I would say it's like skipping a toll on a turnpike - it is fruitless to pay double at the next toll booth; the deed has been done.