What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
shell921

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by shell921 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 pm

I am always reading multiple titles-at same time. Here are 2 I am reading currently:

Aging Backwards: Updated and Revised Edition: Reverse the Aging Process and Look 10 Years Younger in 30 Minutes a Day
by Miranda Esmonde-White

American Values: Lessons I Learned from My Family
by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm

The Public Domain Review: Selected Essays Vol. I Essays and Reviews from my new favorite website https://publicdomainreview.org/. The opening chapter, a review of the 1906 book The Criminal Prosecution and Capital Punishment of Animals, gives a good sense of the sorts of curiosities and obscurities featured there.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:24 pm

"The Battle Of The Wilderness", by Gordon C. Rhea (Louisiana State University Press 1994).

In June 2018, I traveled to Virginia and visited 4 Civil War battlefields in 4 days: Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness, and Spotsylvania. No matter how much you prepare yourself by studying the specifics of each battle beforehand, more questions about them will pop into your head after you have finished with your perambulations and consider what you have seen up close. I consider the troop movements in the Wilderness battle to be the most complicated to follow, with those of Chancellorsville a close second. Rhea's book has proven to be absolutely superb in clearing up any confusions I had concerning the clash between the armies of Lee and Grant in this godforsaken, 2nd growth forest during the first week of May 1864. If you are a CW history buff, it is a must read. Rhea has written several other books about Grant's Overland campaign; after so thoroughly enjoying this effort from him, I can't wait to get to them.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pm

zeal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:38 pm
By recommendation of If You Can, I'm reading Thomas Stanley and William Danko's The Millionaire Next Door. About 30 pages in, can't put it down. If you haven't read If You Can, then do so--it's only a few pages.

After starting this book, I plan to follow all of the If You Can book recommendations...
Thank you for linking that! Looks very promising.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Squirm, by Carl Hiaasen.

A 14year old Florida boy who likes snakes in particular and wild animals in general, connects with his long-absent father, and . . . . (I don't want to spoil the book for anyone).

I recommend this book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 pm

"The New Iberia Blues", the newest Dave Robicheaux book by James Lee Burke. Like all of the books in the Dave Robicheaux series, a page turner and totally enjoyable.

Dave

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm

bertilak wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm
jdb wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Started to reread The Iliad. Forgot how violent it is, even though epic poem. Remembered last one I read was translation by Samuel Butler. Remembered how great his novel was. Ended up re reading The Way Of All Flesh, one of my all time favorites. And only reason I got book was cause found a leather bound old Easton Press edition with illustrations and good sized font in my favorite Chicago used book store last year. Highly recommend especially if find leather bound edition in used book store. Still am looking at The Iliad.
What translation of the Iliad on 2nd read? The Iliad is a tough read and a good translation can make the difference between getting through it or not! And yes, it is a gore fest.

I think the Odyssey is more accessible because the stories are more interesting and there are some good lines in it. Zeus to his daughter Athena after she makes a suggestion Zeus disagrees with:
  • My child, what nonsense you let slip through your teeth.
    -- Odyssey, Book 1, Fagles translation
Do you have children? :happy

I also appreciate a well-made book, especially one I'm going to be with for a while.
I actually just finished the Iliad (Caroline Alexander transation) today! Now I am onto the Odyssey (Emily Wilson translation).
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm

knpstr wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:46 pm
I actually just finished the Iliad (Caroline Alexander transation) today! Now I am onto the Odyssey (Emily Wilson translation).
I went back and forth between the Emily Wilson translation and the Fagles translation. I like those two the best, but I was never sure which one I liked better.

hdas

Post by hdas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:52 pm

The Quest
Energy, Security and the Remaking of the Modern World
By Daniel Yergin
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm

My reading has been hijacked by the WSJ of all things. Started to reread one of my favorite novels, Les Miserables. Got through the first hundred pages. But then read in Wall Street Journal this weekend an opinion piece about the great writing by Cicero entitled “”Cato The Elder: On Old Age”. And of course I happened to have a old leather bound Folio Society edition of Cicero entitled “On The Good Life” which I had never read and which included the Old Age writing. Long story short, loved the essay, so much so that have put aside Les Mis to read Cicero. Jean Valjean and Cosette and Inspector Javert will have to wait their turn. They can blame the WSJ.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:46 pm

The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems by Martin Gardner
Be still, sad heart! and cease repining; | Behind the clouds is the sun still shining; | Thy fate is the common fate of all, | Into each life some rain must fall, | Some days must be dark and dreary. | Longfellow

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm

Calli114 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 am
DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am
I just finished The Obesity Code.

Fantastic book. Highly recommended.

Great thread here. I use it to build my reading list. Well done everyone.
I also recently finished The Obesity Code. Makes a lot of sense. Too bad at the moment my fridge is the fullest it gets, so fasting will have to wait for 2019 I guess. There have been some days I'll eat in a 6-8 hour window.

Just started reading Why We Sleep, which seems to be highly regarded.
I hadn't heard of "Why We Sleep" until your post introduced me to it--I got the book. I'm not finished yet, but it has already improved the quality of my life. Recommended.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:48 pm

jdb wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm
My reading has been hijacked by the WSJ of all things. Started to reread one of my favorite novels, Les Miserables. Got through the first hundred pages. But then read in Wall Street Journal this weekend an opinion piece about the great writing by Cicero entitled “”Cato The Elder: On Old Age”. And of course I happened to have a old leather bound Folio Society edition of Cicero entitled “On The Good Life” which I had never read and which included the Old Age writing. Long story short, loved the essay, so much so that have put aside Les Mis to read Cicero. Jean Valjean and Cosette and Inspector Javert will have to wait their turn. They can blame the WSJ.
If anyone's interested, a translation of this was recently published by Princeton as "How to Grow Old"--part of the "Ancient Wisdom for Modern Readers" series--books by Epictetus, Cicero, the other Cicero, and Seneca in nice little bilingual volumes. There are about eight so far, with a couple more coming out next month.

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 am

Finridge wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:47 pm
Calli114 wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:10 am
DanMahowny wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:32 am
I just finished The Obesity Code.

Fantastic book. Highly recommended.

Great thread here. I use it to build my reading list. Well done everyone.
I also recently finished The Obesity Code. Makes a lot of sense. Too bad at the moment my fridge is the fullest it gets, so fasting will have to wait for 2019 I guess. There have been some days I'll eat in a 6-8 hour window.

Just started reading Why We Sleep, which seems to be highly regarded.

I hadn't heard of "Why We Sleep" until your post introduced me to it--I got the book. I'm not finished yet, but it has already improved the quality of my life. Recommended.

I have also not finished "Why We Sleep," but the part about fish sleeping with only half of their brain at a time was fascinating. Also, I think many people don't understand that you absolutely cannot "catch up" on a sleep deficit. I would say it's like skipping a toll on a turnpike - it is fruitless to pay double at the next toll booth; the deed has been done.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

Look for any recommendations for authors that are similar to Robin Sloan.

I like the whole modern day (technology) meets science fiction.

Thanks.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am

Just read The Quiet American by Graham Greene - highly recommend.

Partly into Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari. Very good so far.

Working my way through Herzog by Saul Bellow - not an easy read, so taking my time there

The Aspern Papers, by Henry James - very good

Educated, Tara Westover - very good

How Music Got Free, by Stephen Witt - excellent if you enjoy this topic (copyright law, music industry)
67 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan:4% until age 70, 3% when social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 under diff names

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm

SagaciousTraveler wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks.
You may like James Rollins. He has a pretty specific formula he follows: historical mystery meets bleeding-edge scientific theory meets action thriller. He usually includes an epilogue to his books explaining which elements in the novel are factual. I'd recommend Map of Bones if you want to check him out.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:47 pm

Halicar wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm
SagaciousTraveler wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

Thanks.
You may like James Rollins. He has a pretty specific formula he follows: historical mystery meets bleeding-edge scientific theory meets action thriller. He usually includes an epilogue to his books explaining which elements in the novel are factual. I'd recommend Map of Bones if you want to check him out.
Thank you. I'm going to check out Sandstorm which according to Goodreads is the first book of the Sigma Force series (Map of Bones is #2).

I don't know if anyone uses Goodreads but I use it for researching and to collect/organize every book I've read.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 pm

Just finished "In Our Image: America's Empire In the Philippines" by Stanley Karnow. Since I frequently visit the Philippines, I thought it good to learn more about their history and I did learn a lot. Unexpectedly, I also learned a lot about America as well. It was a long book but just the thing for the 20+ hours of flying each way.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:24 pm

jdb wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:32 pm
I saw the same article which got me hunting on Google Books for a free copy. I found one, but it was in Latin. So that got me thinking maybe I should learn Latin first in order to read it in the original, following J. Robt. Oppenheimer’s example. If there was a book in a foreign language he was interested in he would first learn the language, then read the book. He studied Sanscrit, for example, before reading the Bhagavad Gita. The problem with this is I’m not as intelligent as was J. Robt. Oppenheimer. I then found it in English on Google Books.
GATHER ye rosebuds while ye may, Old Time is still a-flying: And this same flower that smiles to-day To-morrow will be dying.-- Robt. Herrick, 1591–1674, from To the Virgins, to make much of Time

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 pm

Blackwater Sound, by James W. Hall.

A loner from Key Largo out fishing on Blackwater Sound observes an airliner crash, rescues some survivors, and pursues those responsible.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Stoic9

Post by Stoic9 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 am

Educated by Tara Westover, I'm a consistent reader and this is the best book I've read in 3-5 years maybe more.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 am

Just finished Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Now reading You Are What You Love by James K. A. Smith
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

Smk18

Post by Smk18 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:28 am

A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton G .Malkiel.

FireHorse

Post by FireHorse » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 am

"The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.
It is about how information technology changing the way we do business, from India to London to Las Angles to Beijing no longer a 24 hour red eye required but you can connect anywhere online in your bedroom to execute the business.
Around year 2000ish time, we heard a lot of Corporations Outsourcing and offshoring their business abroad, and left American workers jobless...etc, these were part of the "flat world".

I am still reading it, midway through. I am anxious to read what the author has to say about while the technology and AI enriched corporate America as well as the third countries yet they have left middle level American workers behind. These are the exact problem caused our country's chaos today.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:17 am

FireHorse wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 am
"The World is Flat" by Thomas Friedman.
It is about how information technology changing the way we do business, from India to London to Las Angles to Beijing no longer a 24 hour red eye required but you can connect anywhere online in your bedroom to execute the business.
Around year 2000ish time, we heard a lot of Corporations Outsourcing and offshoring their business abroad, and left American workers jobless...etc, these were part of the "flat world".

I am still reading it, midway through. I am anxious to read what the author has to say about while the technology and AI enriched corporate America as well as the third countries yet they have left middle level American workers behind. These are the exact problem caused our country's chaos today.
This is a very interesting book. It was especially so when it first came out because so much of what he was describing was just beginning to happen on a large scale. I was the IT Director for a large organization at that time and used examples from this book with my staff and customers. It should still be a good read.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Stoic9 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 am
Educated by Tara Westover, I'm a consistent reader and this is the best book I've read in 3-5 years maybe more.
Agree completely. Great book. Incredible story. WOW!
Funding secured

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:59 pm

Finishing Elysium Fire by Alastair Reynolds.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=146455&start=350#p4338800
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

DPezz1029

Post by DPezz1029 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:06 pm

Finished the Obesity Code Unlocking the Secret to Weight Loss by Jason Fung, MD and now reading The Complete Guide to Fasting by the same author.

Next up: Tailspin by Stephen Brill

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:12 pm

DPezz1029 wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:06 pm
Finished the Obesity Code Unlocking the Secret to Weight Loss by Jason Fung, MD and now reading The Complete Guide to Fasting by the same author.

Next up: Tailspin by Stephen Brill
Are you trying to lose weight? Do you believe that these books will help you?

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 pm

I am reading Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson for fun and I'm working my way through Bogleheads Guide to Investing for my more "serious" book. Both have been great! I'm learning a lot from Bogleheads Guide to Investing.

hdas

Post by hdas » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:26 am

Going through what might be the best book on futures I have come about:

The Treasury Bond Basis: An in-Depth Analysis for Hedgers, Speculators, and Arbitrageurs by Galen Burghardt

Incredibly detailed and practical. It's unfortunate one does not have privileged access to the treasury cash market

Cheers :greedy
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:56 pm

I removed an off-topic post responding to mention of The Obesity Code. The comments were trending towards medical advice (health benefits of dieting).

Please don't use a book review as a pretext for discussing other topics.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:00 pm

The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts.
100% VTWAX

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 pm

I read "Small Fry: A Memoir" by Steve Jobs' first-born child, Lisa Brennan-Jobs. This is the daughter who Steve Jobs infamously denied paternity of (even after this was confirmed via a DNA test) and was supported by welfare even while Steve Jobs' net worth increased to hundreds of millions of dollars. He eventually came around to recognizing her as his daughter and for several years she lived with him and his wife...

I avoided this book at first because I assumed it would be just a ghost-written book cynically churned out to cash in. I was wrong. Lisa is a skilled writer -- she was already a published writer before writing this book. The book is interesting and well-written. Many of the reviews focus just on the dirt, serving up the grittier details as juicy soundbites. But the portrait of Steve Jobs that emerges was, to me at least, more "human" and more sympathetic than that in "authorized" biography.

schachtw

Post by schachtw » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Currently reading:

“What Would Happen if the President of the
USA Went Stark-Raving Mad”?

subtitle: Night of Camp David

Author: Fletcher Knebel

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:44 pm

Just finished Bad Blood, about the Theranos debacle. Wow. I love business stories line that and the Big Short. Always looking for new titles.

Also reading the History of France from the Earliest Times, and re-reading Au Rebours and 10,000 Explosion.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:30 pm

Reality Is Not What It Seems by Carlo Revolli. An extremely readable book by a theoretical physicist whose focus ( I almost said field, but after reading this book I realize I have an incomplete understanding of that word ) is loop quantum gravity. I previously read his Seven Brief Lessons on Physics, where was originally a series that appeared in an Italian newspaper. I found his books extremely interesting, and have gotten at least some small sense of the contributions of Einstein, Bohr, Dirac and so on.

By coincidence I had just previously completed a couple of volumes on pre-socratic Greek philosophy. Rovelli draws a strong connection between Democritus and quantum theory, and, for a book on mostly 20th and early 21st century physics, spends a lot of time on the ancient Greeks.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:08 pm

Stay the Course, by John C. Bogle.

The book is a history of The Vanguard Group and index fund investing.

I was previously aware of Vanguard's mutual structure and of their leadership in the creation of low cost index funds.

I learned from this book that:
1) it took many years before the S&P 500 index fund became really popular;
2) money market funds were very important in Vanguard's early years; and
3) Vanguard pioneered in the creation of fixed duration bond funds (i.e. short-term, intermediate-term, long-term) for both actively managed and indexed bond funds.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Just finished "The Last Dead Girl" by Harry Dolan.

This is the second Dolan novel I have read ("The Man in the Crooked Hat"). Wow, good writer in the lines of a Lawrence Block or perhaps Harlan Coban.

Next up is John Feinsteins latest book about quarterbacks. I am not an NFL fan, but I am a John Feinstein fan. He covers sports quite well.

Ed

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:25 pm

Off The Chart, by James W. Hall.

A anti-social loner on Key Largo finds himself at war with a local thug and wannabe pirate, the older brother bbc of an ex-girlfriend.

hdas

Post by hdas » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Active Portfolio Management. Grinold, Kahn. 2nd Edition

stuper1

Post by stuper1 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:24 pm

The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes.

An incredible, comprehensive history of 20th century physics and the horrible, unforeseen outcome.

Fate decreed that the secrets of the atom would be uncovered exactly when Hitler was trying to conquer Europe. Have to wonder how things would have worked out if the atomic secrets had been learned in peaceful times.

Not to get too political, and this is definitely not discussed in the book, but if the US had stayed out of WW1 and let Europe work things out itself, probably Hitler never would have come to power, and the secrets of the atom would have come to light under completely different circumstances.

jayk238

Post by jayk238 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:31 pm

These truths by jill lepore. Cant put down american history and its 1000 pages long

Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:00 am

Just finished Our Homesick Songs: a Novel / by Emma Hooper - recommended recently on NPR interview with librarian/ book critic Nancy Pearl. I read very little fiction but interested in theme of economic social & physical dislocation in Newfoundland resulting from the demise of the cod fishing. Never been to Newfoundland but that has been on my want to visit list for a long time (unique geology history & culture with no close analogues elsewhere).
Book was OK but no better - some good descriptions of the landscape natural history & unique culture and responses to dislocation. But not as deep as I expected.

Next on list is Michael Pollan's new book How to change your mind (might be too lengthy with overly detailed discussion of scientific research) pick it up tomorrow at the Public Library I will see how that goes

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:55 pm

"The Gospel According to Luke" by Steve Lukather (with Paul Rees).

Who is Steve Lukather you ask? Big time guitar player in the band Toto and other side groups, but also an LA session player with a massive discography over the years.

Interesting look at a like as a rock and roll musician....too much booze, too much time on the road, two divorces and many friends and fellow muscians who have died (Porcaro brothers in particular).

He kicked the booze 9 years ago and assumed management of the group Toto, in addition to being a guitar force.

About 2/3 of the way thru I grew tired of the constant rock star life style but kept on reading and am glad I did. Had someone asked me who he was last week, I wouldnt have had a clue.

Toto was (and is) and amazing collection of session musicians who hit it pretty big.

Ed

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:00 am

Presidents of War by Michael Beschloss. Very well-written and researched.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:45 pm

Ark of Empire, by Dale Van Every.

A history of the U.S. frontier from the end of the Revolution to the Louisiana Purchase.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am

I'm reading Keith Richards' autobiography, "Life". To quote:
"Then 'Since my baby left me'. That was the first rock and roll I heard. It was a totally different sound, stripped down, burnt, no bullshit, no violins and ladies' choruses and schmaltz....
The silence is your canvas, that's your frame, that's what you work on; don't try to deafen it out."

The silence is your canvas. That's what you work on. Don't try to deafen it out. That is what just about every jazz instructor I have had to date has been trying to teach me, in a nutshell.

I don't often read celebrity autobiograhies, but Richards is a remarkably good writer. 10% into the book and I am finding it hard to put down, even to watch one of my favorite TV shows. (hoping you are giggling....)

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm

protagonist wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 am
I'm reading Keith Richards' autobiography, "Life". To quote:
"Then 'Since my baby left me'. That was the first rock and roll I heard. It was a totally different sound, stripped down, burnt, no bullshit, no violins and ladies' choruses and schmaltz....
The silence is your canvas, that's your frame, that's what you work on; don't try to deafen it out."

The silence is your canvas. That's what you work on. Don't try to deafen it out. That is what just about every jazz instructor I have had to date has been trying to teach me, in a nutshell.

I don't often read celebrity autobiograhies, but Richards is a remarkably good writer. 10% into the book and I am finding it hard to put down, even to watch one of my favorite TV shows. (hoping you are giggling....)
Thanks for sharing protagonist. This will be the next book I read.
Funding secured