What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
PhilosophyAndrew

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Fri May 04, 2018 9:24 pm

1983: Reagan, Andropov, and a World on the Brink by Taylor Downing.

An historical analysis of an incident on 1993 when the Soviet leadership came to believe that an American first stroke was imminent. Downing argues that an accidental thermonuclear war nearly occurred.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35508945-1983

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sun May 06, 2018 4:51 pm

"Waterloo" by Bernard Cornwell (Harper Collins Publishers, 2014)

Two weeks ago I was at the library staring at several shelves worth of books about this famous battle. After about one-half hour of perusing, I picked this tome. Good choice. It's an comprehensive, engaging, and very readable overview of the famous confrontation between the forces of the Emperor Napoleon and the Duke of Wellington/Prince Blucher, including the oft-forgotten preliminary "skirmishes" at Quatre-Bras and Ligny. The Duke said that the Allies' victory was the "nearest thing you ever saw in your life"; this book repeatedly hammers home that point. I was reminded of all the "what if" alternative histories that have been postulated concerning the battles of Gettysburg and Midway. This book would be perfect for the first year cadets' curriculum at Sandhurst and West Point. High recommendation.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sun May 06, 2018 5:19 pm

The Vanguard Experiment by Robert Slater. Five Stars!! I'm sure most of the Bogleheads here already read this book being it was written in 1996. However, if you already love John Bogle, this will make you love and admire him even more (if that's possible).
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 am

Silence of the Grave, by Arnaldur Indridason.

This is a murder mystery set in Iceland. A body is found in the excavation for a new home. The first clue is a line bushes on a nearby hillside, where neighbors have seen a crippled woman dressed in a green coat.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Mon May 07, 2018 6:40 pm

"The Curve of Time" by M. Blanchet.

A very pleasant memoir by a widowed mother of five, recounting several summers' sailing explorations of coastal British Columbia with her children.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Mon May 07, 2018 8:36 pm

Gorbachev: His Life and Times by William Taubman.

2017 biography of Mikhail Gorbachev; Taubman won a Pulitzer Prize for his 2003 biography of Nikita Khrushchev.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/33860134-gorbachev

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am

The Roman Republic, by Michael Crawford.

I am disappointed, I hoped for more discussion of the inception and workings of the Roman Republic rather than a history of it's downfall. The book is plagued with incomprehensible run-on sentences. I don't think that I will finish the book.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat May 12, 2018 7:36 pm

Don’t Look Now and Other Stories (1952 – 1976) by Daphne du Maurier

Stories included:
  • Don’t Look Now
  • The Apple Tree
  • The Pool
  • The Blue Lenses
  • Kiss Me Again, Stranger
  • The Chamois
  • Not After Midnight
  • The Old Man
  • The Birds
Daphne du Maurier is very inventive. These stories are all quite different, demonstrating a wide range of subject matter, especially when also considering her novels (e.g. Rebecca, Jamaica Inn). Her stories are evocative -- it is easy to be drawn into them and keep reading. The variety keeps you from getting bored. Each story Is something new. If there is one thing in common, it is subtle suspense. There is often some hint of the supernatural, with “natural” being the keyword. Mother Nature often (but not always) plays a part. Think of The Birds!

Note that Hitchcock made movies of Jamaica Inn, The Birds, and Rebecca.
Last edited by bertilak on Sat May 12, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat May 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Rebecca (1938) by Daphne du Maurier
A character-driven, Gothic-like, mystery-thriller involving a rich man, his new working-class wife, and the circumstances surrounding the recent death of the man’s first wife, Rebecca. The sinister housekeeper Mrs. Danvers keeps everyone on their toes. The large foreboding estate called Manderley supplies the background. The protagonist (the working-class wife) is the narrator and is never named.

(I thought I'd posted this earlier but can't find it.)
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sat May 12, 2018 8:18 pm

The Philosopher's Flight, by Tom Miller. I'm more than halfway through, I'm enjoying it a lot... although I want to say it is like "Harry Potter meets Starship Troopers." Interesting twists of ideas, and, so far anyway, interesting characters and skillful storytelling. It's about an alternate universe (I guess) in which a sophisticated technology-like magic called "sigilry" has been developed. Sigilry is considered entirely a women's field, and the protagonist is a young man who is surprisingly good at it, and suffers sex discrimination trying to study sigilry at Radcliffe College. Which just sounds silly, but it's a good book and I'm enjoying it so far.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:04 pm

I just finished Sam Zell’s first book “Am I Being Too Subtle”. I enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun May 13, 2018 11:29 pm

goodbye, things — The New Japanese Mininalism by Fumio Sasaki.

How (and why) to get rid of your stuff to simplify life and increase happiness. I just started it but so far it's promising. I checked it out of my public library.

My wife is always after me to get rid of my stuff and so far I’ve been resisting. I (seemingly) can’t bear to part with these things. Maybe this book will help me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03936 ... ctObb=used

bpp

Post by bpp » Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am

I am disappointed, I hoped for more discussion of the inception and workings of the Roman Republic rather than a history of it's downfall. The book is plagued with incomprehensible run-on sentences. I don't think that I will finish the book.
Try SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome, by Mary Beard. She covers from the founding up to the year 212, explicitly not covering the downfall. Just started it myself, but so far it is a ripping yarn, well written.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon May 14, 2018 1:33 pm

Read "The Lock Artist" by Scott Hamilton, and really enjoyed it.
Picked up "The 2nd Life Nick Mason" and "Winter of the Wolf Moon; An Alex McNight Mystery" both by Hamilton. "Winter of the Wolf Moon; An Alex McNight Mystery" is good, and "The 2nd Life Nick Mason" is excellent.

Dave

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:25 am
Bungo wrote:I recently read The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Excellent book, a rare five star rating from me.
Ishiguro's command of the language is astounding
Especially since English isn't even his native tongue (although he did move to I think England as a young kid).

Non-Fiction: Brain Rules for Baby, John Medina
Fiction: A Wild Sheep Chase, Haruki Murakami

Murakami is a rare talent. Many of his stories have an element of magical realism in the vein of Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Salman Rushdie. Not sure how to describe it ... maybe, frustratingly engaging? :confused
My friends said stick to your guns, but instead I just got stuck.

SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler » Mon May 14, 2018 1:52 pm

For all my tech/sci fi nerds, please read Robin Sloane's Sourdough or Mr. Penumbra's 24 hour book store.

For people who like political science, I'm going to recommend by Uncle's book: Framing the Farm Bill by Christopher Bosso. Absolutely fascinating on the politics that go into this single bill every 5 years.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm

I just finished "Coop: A Year of Poultry, Pigs and Parenting" by Michael Perry.

This is the third book by Michael Perry that I've read and pretty much continues where the previous two, (Population 485 and Truck) left off. This book covers the birth of his first daughter, moving to a farm and trying to become more self-sufficient by raising pigs and chickens. Perry's writing style of short non-fiction essays collected together to form a moving story keeps my attention and are very enjoyable reads.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:29 pm
goodbye, things — The New Japanese Mininalism by Fumio Sasaki.

How (and why) to get rid of your stuff to simplify life and increase happiness. I just started it but so far it's promising. I checked it out of my public library.

My wife is always after me to get rid of my stuff and so far I’ve been resisting. I (seemingly) can’t bear to part with these things. Maybe this book will help me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03936 ... ctObb=used

I picked this up as an Audible daily deal, and have been listening to sometimes during my morning stretching / yoga. Very good with useful insights.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon May 14, 2018 7:29 pm

bpp wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:24 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 9:19 am

Try SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome, by Mary Beard. She covers from the founding up to the year 212, explicitly not covering the downfall. Just started it myself, but so far it is a ripping yarn, well written.
I had already read SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome. You are correct, it is well written and is a much better book.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Mon May 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors by Stephen E. Ambrose

I learned more about American Indian culture from reading this book than a visit to the new Smithsonian in Washington. I would highly recommend the book if you like history.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Tue May 15, 2018 1:28 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:47 pm
Artful Dodger wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:01 pm
While working in the yard this weekend, I began to listen to the second book of Robert Caro's biography of Lyndon Johnson, Means of Assent, which covers his career from early WW2 to his campaign for the Senate in 1948. As many others have noted, this series is one of the best biographies written of an american president.
Caro’s boographies of Johnson are superb — perhaps the best biographies I’ve read. I’ve not yet read his biography of Robert Moses, but I want to read it.

Andy.
Just about done; an hour left. Even though I knew the ending, this is still a thrilling tale.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue May 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Cycle wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:38 pm
Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors by Stephen E. Ambrose

I learned more about American Indian culture from reading this book than a visit to the new Smithsonian in Washington. I would highly recommend the book if you like history.
I read that some time ago, it did give a lot of insight into the traditions and customs of the Sioux and the U.S. Army in the 19th Century. This is a very good book.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Sat May 19, 2018 6:25 pm

"Strange New Worlds: The Search For Alien Planets" by Ray Jayawardhana (Princeton University Press, 2011).

The author is an active astrophysicist and he has done us all a favor here by publishing this little book (227 pages of text). Ever wonder how astronomers have been able to discover and characterize planets around stars other than our Sun? Dr. J. summarizes all the necessary methods, evidence, and detective work in a readily comprehensible 9 chapters. He also humanizes the science by giving us brief biographies of the talented and fascinating individuals who work in this field of astronomy. If the reader has had a good course in high school physics, he/she will have no trouble understanding the scientific concepts in this book.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:10 pm

John Sandford - Twisted Prey....yet another Lucas Davenport series novel.

Davenport is now an agent with US Marshal Dept and investigates an attempted assassination of Minnesota Senator Porter Smalls.

I had felt Sandford had slipped some recently...this is an excellent Davenport novel and moves Sandford back into the elite mystery writers...at least in my opinion.

Ed

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:11 pm

"Trophy Hunt" by C.J. Box

Dave

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm

The Acadian Exiles, by Arthur G. Dougherty.

This history was published in 1916, based on primary sources. This is a history of the French settlement of Canada's Maritime Provinces starting in 1604, the multiple shifts of the territory between English and French control, and finally the mass forced deportations of 1762 of about 6,000 Acadians from Nova Scotia and the burning and confiscation of their property. The deportations were primarily to South Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland and New York. I thought that the book was very interesting.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 pm

How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World -by Harry Browne

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Wed May 23, 2018 3:59 pm

JANE AND MARK

One benefit of retirement is having large stretches of time in which to fiddle around. For me, that means reading. Magazines, news articles, smart-aleck blogs, and random junk mail.

Also books. I've lately finished "Pride and Prejudice" -- one of Jane Austen's major works -- and "Tom Sawyer, Detective" -- a third-tier production from the pen of Mark Twain.

But I'll be frank. "P & P" was a read-it-because-it's-good-for you enterprise. I've enjoyed movie adaptations of Ms. Austen's book, but the page-turning itself was a rough slog, partly because of the meandering plot (will Elizabeth Bennet fall for the rich and good-looking Mr. Darcy or WON'T she?), and partly because of the ornate, plummy dialogue. Like this:
"My beauty you had early withstood, and as for my manners -- my behavior to YOU was at least always bordering on the uncivil, and I never spoke to you without rather wishing to give you pain than not. Now be sincere, did you admire me for my impertinence?"

"For the liveliness of your mind, I did."
And so on.

(I've got my doubts people talked this way in the early 19th century, but what do I know? I wasn't there at the time. Maybe the above is exactly the way they talked.)

Mr. Twain, on the other hand, knows how to make his characters spout frontier dialects, even inside a less than compelling plot: here's Tom Sawyer explaining a crime to a packed courtroom:
"Your honor, it wasn't right to call him a thief, and I'll let up on that a little. He did steal the di'monds, but he didn't know it. He stole them from his brother Jake when he was laying dead, after Jake had stole them from the other thieves; but Jubiter didn't know he was stealing them, and he's been swelling around here with them a month; yes sir, twelve thousand dollars worth of di'monds on him -- all that riches, and going around here every day just like a poor man. Yes, your honor, he's got them on him now."
"Tom Sawyer, Detective" is Mark Twain's stab at an Agatha Christy style murder mystery, long before the arrival of Ms. Christy. It doesn't come off, but it's nice to hear Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn (the narrator) bloviating.