What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mggray17

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by mggray17 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:07 am Run Lola Run

The online synopsis doesn’t do this film justice:
In this visually and conceptually impressive film, two-bit Berlin criminal Manni (Moritz Bleibtreu) delivers some smuggled loot for his boss, Ronnie (Heino Ferch), but accidentally leaves the 100,000 mark payment in a subway car. Given 20 minutes to come up with the money, he calls his girlfriend, Lola (Franka Potente), who sprints through the streets of the city to try to beg the money out of her bank manager father (Herbert Knaup) and get to Manni before he does something desperate.
This is one of my favorite films. I just got a new TV (83” Sony A90J) and thought I’d give it a shot even though the screen hasn’t been broken in yet.

Available on Showtime but also on BRAVIA CORE which streams select movies for Bravia owners at extreme bit rates (up to 80 Mbps compare to most streamers 20 Mbps max).
I got a 77A80J in December. Thanks for the recommendation. Cueing it up on Bravia Core now.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Netflix just recently released a movie called "Senior Year" (I think we just happened to watch it the day it came out, not that we knew anything about it). On the surface, it's a pretty standard teen movie (leaning more towards "chick flick", not that guys can't enjoy them) about high school drama. However, what separated it from the pack was the social satire.

The premise is that a popular cheerleader in the early 00s falls during a performance, wakes up from a coma 20 years later, and goes back to school to finish where she left on, only to discover just how much society and culture has changed in those 20 years. As a 90s kid myself, the 90s references had me crying from laughter, but the best part was that earlier on the day we watched the movie, we witnessed a little incident with a streamer in public. We were at the mall, and my wife was buying a purse for herself, when a streamer just set her phone tripod on the checkout counter, grabbed a bunch of bags, and started doing a live stream about them right there in the store. My wife saw a bag just sitting on the counter in view of the streamer's phone, not realizing the streamer was using it in her video, and she asked the clerk how much that bag was. The clerk walked over and grabbed the tag just to check the price, to which the streamer responded by angrily glaring at the clerk and clutching the bag to her chest like she was being robbed. Later that night, we watched the movie, and there was a major character who would live stream from school and do all the stereotypical streamer things, so we got a chuckle from how relevant it was to our day.

My only criticism of the movie is that it started off strong with the satire in the first half, but by the end, it ultimately fell into a pretty standard teen movie formula, focusing on the specific plot and characters. I guess I should have expected that, but honestly, the first half of the movie could have been the start of a really great Mike Judge show. It just didn't keep that same vibe going the whole way through. I still think it was much better than it could've been, and I would recommend it to 90s kids in particular. I've also never really been a big fan of Rebel Wilson as an actress, but she was a good fit for the role nonetheless.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Apartment
1960, Starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine
Nice guy C.C. Baxter (Lemmon) tries to please everyone in his gargantuan
office complex hoping it will advance his career. He allows philandering
work associates access to his apartment for their illicit rendezvous at great
inconvenience to himself.
He falls for elevator operator Fran Kubelik (MacLaine) and a bittersweet
story with a gem of an ending develops.
Great classic. Recommended.
Viewed on Amazon Prime
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

The Brood

1979 horror flick recorded from TCM a while back. It is a rather odd concept, yet follows a mainstream plot progression. A rogue Canadian psychotherapist breeds human-camel-chicken hybrid children (maybe), and despite the efforts of our Volvo-driving, sweater-wearing hero, it doesn't end very well for anyone.

It stars Oliver Reed (The Three Musketeers, Gladiator), Samantha Eggar (Doctor Dolittle (1967), and who has six given names), and Art Hindle (who later played the sheriff in Porky's).

It's quite violent and bloody at times (written and directed by David Cronenberg), yet descends far too much into pathos at other times. The architecture is comforting. I suspect there would be ethical questions with putting the child actors through some of the scenes today. Apparently it was a cathartic creation of the director regarding his own divorce and shared child. After viewing it leaves one a bit on edge.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Capsu78 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:56 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:56 pm
KSOC wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:10 am
Capsu78 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:21 pm "Fishermans Friend" on Prime surprised me with a touching story based on a true one. I watched it without DW as I was expecting a story she would have little interest in but now will watch it again so she can see it. A cast of very likable characters and some interesting music as well.

Wife and I really enjoyed this movie. Songs stuck in our heads for days, so I ended up buying the CD. Watched a second time with our adult daughters and both of them really liked it.

My wife got the sound track on CD from a friend awhile back, but we had never seen the movie until about a week ago. Wife and I agreed it was the most enjoyable movie we've watched in awhile. Great soundtrack also.
I'm glad others enjoyed! I did end up re watching it with DW and she enjoyed it as well.
Thanks for the recommendation. We watched last night and really enjoyed it.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

So I'm about 60, and I laughed my butt off at Senior Year (Netflix). A colorful, mindless, predictable and funny movie is so much needed today. I'm sure I missed a few of the jokes, but at least I'm a pop music freak who loved the turn of century song references. People in their 30s or 40s will die laughing. 20s and before may be offended, because there's a lot of pokes at current social topics and their generation, all while respectfully embracing the change that has occurred on those same topics. The best comedy rankles while still respecting.

dboeger1 (referenced below) is right in that the real satire in the movie is about today's "influencer" streamer culture. The movie doesn't hold back.

Some who absolutely loved Don't Look Up (another recent Netflix comedy) may not like this film because Senior Year doesn't have some great hidden message about current topics. Nope. It is all right out there, simply for fun. No big save-the-world message, just a fun predictable ending.

One more thing. I knew of Rebel Wilson but haven't seen any of her other movies. She's unique. I see echoes of past comedians like Chevy Chase, Gilda Ratner, Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers and a little of Drew Barrymore thrown in. I'll take her in small doses only, one movie every now and then.
dboeger1 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 pm Netflix just recently released a movie called "Senior Year" (I think we just happened to watch it the day it came out, not that we knew anything about it). On the surface, it's a pretty standard teen movie (leaning more towards "chick flick", not that guys can't enjoy them) about high school drama. However, what separated it from the pack was the social satire.

The premise is that a popular cheerleader in the early 00s falls during a performance, wakes up from a coma 20 years later, and goes back to school to finish where she left on, only to discover just how much society and culture has changed in those 20 years. As a 90s kid myself, the 90s references had me crying from laughter, but the best part was that earlier on the day we watched the movie, we witnessed a little incident with a streamer in public. We were at the mall, and my wife was buying a purse for herself, when a streamer just set her phone tripod on the checkout counter, grabbed a bunch of bags, and started doing a live stream about them right there in the store. My wife saw a bag just sitting on the counter in view of the streamer's phone, not realizing the streamer was using it in her video, and she asked the clerk how much that bag was. The clerk walked over and grabbed the tag just to check the price, to which the streamer responded by angrily glaring at the clerk and clutching the bag to her chest like she was being robbed. Later that night, we watched the movie, and there was a major character who would live stream from school and do all the stereotypical streamer things, so we got a chuckle from how relevant it was to our day.

My only criticism of the movie is that it started off strong with the satire in the first half, but by the end, it ultimately fell into a pretty standard teen movie formula, focusing on the specific plot and characters. I guess I should have expected that, but honestly, the first half of the movie could have been the start of a really great Mike Judge show. It just didn't keep that same vibe going the whole way through. I still think it was much better than it could've been, and I would recommend it to 90s kids in particular. I've also never really been a big fan of Rebel Wilson as an actress, but she was a good fit for the role nonetheless.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

wilson08 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 pm The Apartment
1960, Starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine
Nice guy C.C. Baxter (Lemmon) tries to please everyone in his gargantuan
office complex hoping it will advance his career. He allows philandering
work associates access to his apartment for their illicit rendezvous at great
inconvenience to himself.
He falls for elevator operator Fran Kubelik (MacLaine) and a bittersweet
story with a gem of an ending develops.
Great classic. Recommended.
Viewed on Amazon Prime
An outstanding classic.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Men. A new art house horror/thriller made with panache and humor.

It stars the excellent Jessie Buckley (The Lost Daughter, Wild Rose), and was directed by Alex Garland (Ex Machina). It's a scary movie that gets under your skin.

Now in theaters.

Recommended.
Last edited by jginseattle on Sun May 22, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harmanic

Post by Harmanic »

dboeger1 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 pm Netflix just recently released a movie called "Senior Year" (I think we just happened to watch it the day it came out, not that we knew anything about it). On the surface, it's a pretty standard teen movie (leaning more towards "chick flick", not that guys can't enjoy them) about high school drama. However, what separated it from the pack was the social satire.

Speaking of teen movies, I really enjoyed Euphoria on HBO.
The question isn't at what age I want to retire, it's at what income. | - George Foreman
MillennialFinance19

Post by MillennialFinance19 »

Watched 'Black Site' yesterday evening. I can now consider yesterday evening a complete waste of time I'll never get back.
VTI and chill until 57...
RJC

Post by RJC »

Everything Everywhere All At Once. The craziest, weirdest movie that I've seen in a while.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

Blues wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:37 pm
Capsu78 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:26 pm "Girlfriend Day" on Netflix. We are fans of Bob Odenfeld from Better Call Saul so we were predisposed to like this movie, which he wrote and starred in. Dark, quirky comedy that comes in at 1Hr/10 minutes so it fit well as a wrap up the weekend flick.
Odenkirk... :beer
Correct :sharebeer
sgr000

Post by sgr000 »

Frank Capra's Lost Horizon (1937). Streamed for free from PBS web site.

The casual racism of the 1930s is quite jarring, though much of it is there to point out how much the lead character is against racism. The rest is very naively idealistic, as I was when I was young and wish we could all be. For me it was a combination of nostalgia and utopian longing in a troubled world.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ninth Gate on Amazon Prime ($3.99), rated R, Johnny Depp, 1999, mystery / thriller. A rare book dealer searches for two copies of a demon text. I have no clue why this film was reviewed so highly. Meh.

I have this movie on Blu-ray DVD, but it wouldn't work in my player. I rented it instead. I won't lose any sleep if it's not replaced.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

Anyone seen the new Downton Abbey movie?
retiredbuthappy

Turning Red

Post by retiredbuthappy »

We laughed so much, we watch it again to get laughs again.
Son did not like it, we think there's too much realism for him ;)
RetiredbutHappy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Cocoanuts (1929) The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont

From IMDb:

During the Florida land boom, The Marx Brothers run a hotel, auction off some land, thwart a jewel robbery, and generally act like themselves.

This is the Marx Brothers’ first feature film and they are typically hilarious and so young! It’s only 1929. One caveat is that the obligatory romance and the songs the young couple in the plot sing to each other are sappy and cloying. But it’s a product of its time and is expected. Groucho later called Dumont “the fifth Marx Brother”. Recommended.

We streamed it on The Criterion Channel.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

“Striking Distance” on Tubi. Bruce Willis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striking_Distance

Enjoyed it.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Tubes wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:24 am So I'm about 60, and I laughed my butt off at Senior Year (Netflix). A colorful, mindless, predictable and funny movie is so much needed today. I'm sure I missed a few of the jokes, but at least I'm a pop music freak who loved the turn of century song references. People in their 30s or 40s will die laughing. 20s and before may be offended, because there's a lot of pokes at current social topics and their generation, all while respectfully embracing the change that has occurred on those same topics. The best comedy rankles while still respecting.

dboeger1 (referenced below) is right in that the real satire in the movie is about today's "influencer" streamer culture. The movie doesn't hold back.

Some who absolutely loved Don't Look Up (another recent Netflix comedy) may not like this film because Senior Year doesn't have some great hidden message about current topics. Nope. It is all right out there, simply for fun. No big save-the-world message, just a fun predictable ending.

One more thing. I knew of Rebel Wilson but haven't seen any of her other movies. She's unique. I see echoes of past comedians like Chevy Chase, Gilda Ratner, Adam Sandler, Mike Meyers and a little of Drew Barrymore thrown in. I'll take her in small doses only, one movie every now and then.

We're 41 and 36 and made it through ~15 minutes of "Senior Year" last night before wife demanded we watch something else. We generally find Rebel Wilson and ridiculous comedies amusing (and are all but impossible to "offend", definitely not the crowd for "Don't Look Up"), but this just wasn't good. To each their own.
Last edited by stoptothink on Sun May 22, 2022 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

Downtown Abbey. Good stuff, if you liked the series
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

RJC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:36 pm Everything Everywhere All At Once. The craziest, weirdest movie that I've seen in a while.
Wondering if you enjoyed it? My parents went based on really good reviews, but said a significant portion of their theatre walked out and they wished they would have. I have no clue what the film is even about.
RJC

Post by RJC »

stoptothink wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:12 pm
RJC wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:36 pm Everything Everywhere All At Once. The craziest, weirdest movie that I've seen in a while.
Wondering if you enjoyed it? My parents went based on really good reviews, but said a significant portion of their theatre walked out and they wished they would have. I have no clue what the film is even about.
I did enjoy it because I tend to like weird, quirky movies. But I can see how it can turn people off. I think I need to see it again to catch everything.

It's basically about a family trying to understand and relate to each other during some hard times.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

While not exactly a movie, but on the Netflix. Watched Ricky Gervais: SuperNature last night.

Extremely crude, but my cocktail almost came out my nose a couple of times I was laughing so hard.
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Nicolas wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 pm The Cocoanuts (1929) The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont

From IMDb:

During the Florida land boom, The Marx Brothers run a hotel, auction off some land, thwart a jewel robbery, and generally act like themselves.

This is the Marx Brothers’ first feature film and they are typically hilarious and so young! It’s only 1929. One caveat is that the obligatory romance and the songs the young couple in the plot sing to each other are sappy and cloying. But it’s a product of its time and is expected. Groucho later called Dumont “the fifth Marx Brother”. Recommended.

Dumont was always the perfect foil to the boys. Impeccable comedic timing.
Animal Crackers is still one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
Groucho's one liners are a work of art :beer
The perfect line for Bogleheads: "There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit: Retire."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tenkuky wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:39 am
Nicolas wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 pm The Cocoanuts (1929) The Marx Brothers, Margaret Dumont

From IMDb:

Dumont was always the perfect foil to the boys. Impeccable comedic timing.
Animal Crackers is still one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.
Groucho's one liners are a work of art :beer
The perfect line for Bogleheads: "There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit: Retire."
Yes AC is a great film. I really loved this line from The Cocoanuts. Groucho (Hammer) is the proprietor of a hotel and the bellhops are demanding their pay.

Hammer: Wages? Do you want to be wage slaves? Answer me that!
Bellhops: No.
Hammer: No, of course not. But what makes wage slaves? Wages!
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Watched Nomadland on Hulu last night. Did not like it at all, and neither did wife or son. Very slow, son called it boring, and I agree.

As an RVer, I found the book to be depressing and repetitive, but somewhat interesting regarding the nomads meeting up regularly, working as camp hosts, working at Amazon and the earthship house. I just found the movie to be slow, shallow and depressing, and it pretty much glossed over many of these aspects.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Serie1926 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:33 am While not exactly a movie, but on the Netflix. Watched Ricky Gervais: SuperNature last night.

Extremely crude, but my cocktail almost came out my nose a couple of times I was laughing so hard.
I know what we'll be watching this weekend.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

stoptothink wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:54 am
Serie1926 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:33 am While not exactly a movie, but on the Netflix. Watched Ricky Gervais: SuperNature last night.

I’m a fan, but agree he doesn’t hold back on the “crude”… however his jokes are not funny because “crude” , but rather he is making a case to save Comedy as an entertainment vehicle. I watched by myself and don’t intend to watch with DW. I was uncomfortable with some of the material. I think the entire presentation is structured like South Park where everyone gets targeted for triggering at some point… I think Free Speech is the message he is advocating for.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

One of the funniest standup specials I’ve seen in a while. Not for the easily offended.

If you can find it, a gem of a short series back in 2010 was the Ricky Gervais show on HBO. It was Gervais and a couple of other Brits kind of free forming stories, bouncing off each other, but their stories are animated while they are describing them.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Capsu78 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm

I’m a fan, but agree he doesn’t hold back on the “crude”… however his jokes are not funny because “crude” , but rather he is making a case to save Comedy as an entertainment vehicle. I watched by myself and don’t intend to watch with DW. I was uncomfortable with some of the material. I think the entire presentation is structured like South Park where everyone gets targeted for triggering at some point… I think Free Speech is the message he is advocating for.
We're darn near impossible to "offend" and tend to like Gervais' message - even if we didn't, we'd watch because he's hilarious. Wife is a bigger fan than I am.
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

stoptothink wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:32 am
Capsu78 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:44 pm

We're darn near impossible to "offend" and tend to like Gervais' message - even if we didn't, we'd watch because he's hilarious. Wife is a bigger fan than I am.
I "discovered" RG way back in the aughts when one Saturday I was deep channel surfing and came upon the UK version of "The Office". I saw the whole series before ever knowing who Michael Scott was.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

Here are the two we watched last night on the Prime.

"Georgetown" and "The Beach House" (this one will only be on the Prime until May 31).

Both were good.
yog

Post by yog »

Top Gun: Maverick in IMAX

"it's not the plane, it's the pilot"
tiger74

Post by tiger74 »

This Top Gun sequel is REALLY good!
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

Zero Dark Thirty - no spoiler warnings required.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Divergent on Blu-ray DVD, rated PG-13, Kate Winslet, Action / Adventure / Mystery. In a world divided by factions, the main character discovers a plot to destroy those who don't fit in. Well produced and it kept me interested the entire time. This movie won several awards.

If you like Hunger Games with a bit of a teenage heart-throb thrown in, this movie is for you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

Moonlight (2016)

A very compelling drama with a lot of heart.
hmw

Post by hmw »

The Top Gun maverick.

Both my son (who had never watched the original) and I liked it.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

"The Protégé" on the Prime.

It was pretty good.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

hmw wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:56 pm The Top Gun maverick.

I re-watched the original Top Gun recently and enjoyed it. I've heard the new one is better. :happy
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:47 am
Blues wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:24 am
stoptothink wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:37 am "The Batman". Dark and gritty, just how I like my superhero movies. Pattinson was surprisingly good and the villains were fantastic. The film should have ended ~30 minutes earlier. That's a big pet peeve of mine regarding recent movies; they just keep the ending going and going and going, for no real reason. Was good though.
We couldn't make it past the first 15 or 20 minutes.
The first poor review I've heard. Most people I have talked to said it was their favorite Batman movie.
Saw it last night.
Cost $0.75 after coupon code Redbox :greedy
Too draggy and music was drone repetitive.
Meandering storyline.
Not even close to Nolan’s trilogy.
Almost 3 hours I won’t get back.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

tenkuky wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:45 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:37 am "The Batman". Dark and gritty, just how I like my superhero movies. Pattinson was surprisingly good and the villains were fantastic. The film should have ended ~30 minutes earlier. That's a big pet peeve of mine regarding recent movies; they just keep the ending going and going and going, for no real reason. Was good though.
The first poor review I've heard. Most people I have talked to said it was their favorite Batman movie.
Saw it last night.
Meandering storyline.
You’re too smart to be beholden to the sunk cost fallacy, especially for a $0.75 cost. 3 hours is a lot of time at my age 😁
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:38 pm

I re-watched the original Top Gun recently and enjoyed it. I've heard the new one is better. :happy
Maverick is technically better, but the two are different. Top Gun is simpler -- it's the 80s -- and it has the young Ice Man.

Maverick is more sophisticated and the action way amped.

Both have good music. :)

Both are worth seeing.
mancich

Post by mancich »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 1:24 am
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:38 pm

Maverick is technically better, but the two are different. Top Gun is simpler -- it's the 80s -- and it has the young Ice Man.

Maverick is more sophisticated and the action way amped.

Both have good music. :)

Both are worth seeing.
+1 It was a lot of fun to watch.
gips

Post by gips »

we were looking for a movie to watch and were surprised to see Sixth Sense on an afi top 100 list. Decided to watch it again and once one has seen the ending, it's really the performances by the actors playing the three main characters that stand out and make the film worth watching again.

best,
Last edited by gips on Mon May 30, 2022 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
turtlebug

Post by turtlebug »

tenkuky wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:45 pm
Saw it last night.
Meandering storyline.
I also saw it last night. Too long, very boring actually, and some of the scenes and a great deal of the movie's mood smacked of Se7en.
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

We saw Top Gun Maverick this weekend and enjoyed it more than I expected to. So that's a win.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

"Whiplash" (2014). Powerful. Riveting.

As frequently as it's mentioned (because of the Farmer's Insurance guy), I avoided watching it because I thought it was about a classical music conservatory, which didn't really arouse my enthusiasm. The actual genre is jazz, which changed everything. That got me in the door. Propelling me to the end was the tremendous acting by Miles Teller and especially J.K. Simmons...and the dramatic storyline.

I must say the movie was well-titled.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:53 pm "Whiplash" (2014). Powerful. Riveting.

As frequently as it's mentioned (because of the Farmer's Insurance guy), I avoided watching it because I thought it was about a classical music conservatory, which didn't really arouse my enthusiasm. The actual genre is jazz, which changed everything. That got me in the door. Propelling me to the end was the tremendous acting by Miles Teller and especially J.K. Simmons...and the dramatic storyline.

I must say the movie was well-titled.
J.K. Simmons won an Oscar for his role in Whiplash. And Miles Teller is in the new Top Gun: Maverick.
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

From the Prime:

"Flag Day" - bizarre
"The Beach House" - good tear jerker
"Night Sky" - started, but interesting
"Beach:Legacy" - started, but good
"From The Vine" - good and funny