Free "If You Can" Kindle and .pdf eBook

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:56 am

[Thread merged into here, see below --admin LadyGeek]

Hi All:

I’ve come out with a starter retirement finance booklet for millennials that lays out what I think is the fundamental problem with an effective three-fund portfolio which, as we all know, is simple, but not easy.

It’s not easy, again, as we all know, because people’s plans get hijacked by, among other things, panic during market declines, the temporary success of their neighbors during a tech or real estate bubble, and the Wall Street noise machine. (Or, as that great investment observer Mike Tyson put it, Everyone's got a plan til they get punched in the face.)

This booklet, If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly, lays out the knowledge base that the young person needs to fortify themselves with to successfully execute a simple portfolio plan. It’s not the complete “course work,” just a road map, and prominently features Boglehead favorites. (Believing it tacky to plug my own overpriced books, I’ve intentionally left them out.)

It’s available for download in acrobat format at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/290 ... ou_Can.pdf

Most folks, though, would rather read it on their Kindle or mobile devices. I’d like to simply give it away, but Amazon only lets me do that 5 days per 90 day period; otherwise it’ll cost the Amazon mandated minimum Kindle price of $0.99. Here's its tentative Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Millen ... +bernstein

That first free period should start tomorrow or the day after. I’ll leave the free pdf up, and will announce the “promotional” windows for the free Kindle download periodically on the board (assuming I actually understand Amazon’s policy properly).

PM me, please, if you find any typos.

Best,

Bill

richard

Re: New E-book for Millennials

Post by richard » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:51 am

Very nice. Looks useful for a much wider audience than millennials.

steve_14

Post by steve_14 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Good primer, Bill. You certainly take a sanguine view of the future of Social Security.

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:43 pm

I didn't read the whole piece yet, but it very nice. I love the breezy style.

Thanks Bill for all of your contributions to investor education.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 pm

I am definitely a millennial and I will definitely be reading this book!

Methedras

Post by Methedras » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 pm

Great insights, but of course it almost goes without saying at this point, Bill.

However, and I say with the utmost respect, but the typesetting/typography could use a little work, if you're trying to connect with Millenials (or the average person, really). We all here at the forum already know that, coming from you, good information will be contained within. However, for the uninformed novice, this purely black & white colored, Times New Roman document has to compete with all of marketing hype, color diagrams, charts, and general other distractions which large financial firms can generate.

chaz

Post by chaz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 pm

A very educational book written by a very smart author.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:35 pm

I think I'm not a very jazzy person.

The Kindle version looks as good as any other Kindle pub I've seen, but I agree that the pdf could use a little work.

Happy to send you the doc, and if you know how to jazz it up, PM me, please! I have a terrible, geezer eye, I'm afraid.

The off-the-shelf Amazon cover is easily print-screen-able from the Amazon kindle site preview:

http://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Millen ... B00JCC5JKI

if you think that might help.

Thanks again!

Bill

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:41 pm

I tried to open the pdf and keep getting a message saying the window can't be opened. What am I missing? - Forget it, I got the file downloaded.

Great primer - if I didn't know better, I'd say you were looking at my bookshelf while writing it up - I own many of those books. :D
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

aznkaz

Post by aznkaz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm

Thank you, Bill. If you don't mind could you post it in mobi format? I think amazon has people upload their book in that format.

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:42 pm

Bill Bernstein wrote:Believing it tacky to plug my own overpriced books, I’ve intentionally left them out.
Hi Bill,

FWIW, your books are worth every penny, compounded by market returns over investment lifetimes.
:sharebeer
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Thanks, I downloaded the PDF.

I also posted a link to this thread from our sister Canadian site, Financial Wisdom Forum. See: Bill Bernstein - Free E-Book (for Millenials)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

technovelist

Post by technovelist » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:11 pm

A very good introduction, and one that could save a lot of people a lot of trouble.
Although he did leave out my favorite investment. :mrgreen:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.

Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:39 am

Hi All:

I've finally figured out how to give away the Kindle for free, at least intermittently, here:

http://www.amazon.com/If-You-Can-Millen ... +bernstein

Amazon allows me to do so 5 days in each 90-day period, so I've picked 2 and 22 days from now, April 5 (this Saturday) and April 25. (Midnight to midnight PDT), so let anyone who you think might benefit (and who wants to save 99 cents!) know.

Best,

Bill
Last edited by Bill Bernstein on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KyleAAA

Re: Free "If You Can" Kindle

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:40 am

I went ahead and just paid the 99 cents. Enjoy that 1/4 of a coffee ;)

jjustice

Post by jjustice » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:11 pm

My child is too old, and my grandchildren are too young, to benefit from a book for millennials. But thanks, Bill, for all your good publications that I have enjoyed and profited from.

John

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:20 pm

Many thanks - I posted the info to my FB page and hopefully some of my younger friends/family will bite (a few are mentioning funding IRAs and such, and it's good to see folks starting out early). I remember 4 Pillars of Investing being very helpful back when I was getting started. I also picked up a free copy of this one too, just to take a look through it.

richard

Post by richard » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:57 pm

jjustice wrote:My child is too old, and my grandchildren are too young, to benefit from a book for millennials. But thanks, Bill, for all your good publications that I have enjoyed and profited from.

John
The book may be aimed at millenials, but it's an excellent introduction to investing for anyone. I have no problem recommending it for off-label use.

gailcox

Post by gailcox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:23 pm

Thanks, Bill, Just got my copy to my kindle and will post on Facebook for all my friends with kids in their 20's to see. Thanks for all you do and see you at Bogleheads 2014! Tell Jane I say, "hi".
gail

Confused

Post by Confused » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:25 pm

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Thanks for the freebie Bill. I'll publicize it to my list tomorrow if you like.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

ps56k

Post by ps56k » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:20 pm

Bill Bernstein wrote:I've finally figured out how to give away the Kindle for free, at least intermittently.....
You had me with the title, but it really was missing a key wording.... Kindle ebook,
otherwise it looks like you are talking about a "Kindle".

Would suggest going back and editing the title to be [ Free "If You Can" Kindle eBook ]

Anyway - just bought the ebook - (can't even get McD fries for that low price - they are now $1.19)
Last edited by ps56k on Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Confused wrote:Was expecting a free Kindle. Came away disappointed.
Not me, because I assumed "I Can't."
PJW

Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:08 pm

Hah! Sorry, I'm not shipping out free Kindles. Not even the basic, wireless-only ones.

I'm new to the free/promotional file biz, and I've made a few mistakes, most importantly, accepting the DRM default on Amazon upload, which cannot be changed.

But, if I've done it right, here is a DRM-free version for those upset with having to wait two days (or pay $0.99) if they can't:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/290 ... C-v_0.azw3

Someone please let me know if it works.

Emergdoc, and everyone else, feel free to distribute the pdf and the above e-book file widely. I intend this as an eleemosynary undertaking.

Bill

ps56k

Post by ps56k » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:28 pm

Bill Bernstein wrote:...feel free to distribute the pdf and the above e-book file widely....
What PDF ?
The first posting links to a normal Amazon ebook.
The DropBox posting links to a Kindle format AZW3 file.

Would also suggest going back and editing the orig title
to be --> Free "If You Can" Kindle eBook
or --> Free Kindle eBook - "If You Can"
Last edited by ps56k on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

aw82

Post by aw82 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:31 pm

Bill Bernstein wrote:Hah! Sorry, I'm not shipping out free Kindles. Not even the basic, wireless-only ones.

I'm new to the free/promotional file biz, and I've made a few mistakes, most importantly, accepting the DRM default on Amazon upload, which cannot be changed.

But, if I've done it right, here is a DRM-free version for those upset with having to wait two days (or pay $0.99) if they can't:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/290 ... C-v_0.azw3

Someone please let me know if it works.

Emergdoc, and everyone else, feel free to distribute the pdf and the above e-book file widely. I intend this as an eleemosynary undertaking.

Bill
Thanks for sharing! I downloaded the file and used this tool to convert to a PDF: http://www.epubconverter.com/azw-to-pdf-converter/

Is it only supposed to be about 8,600 words?

By the way, I got a lot out of The Investor's Manifesto!

Bill Bernstein

Re: Free "If You Can" Kindle and .pdf eBook

Post by Bill Bernstein » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:11 pm

That's right; it's not intended as a full-length, but rather as an introduction.

The "full course" is outlined in the book: Bogle, Ferri, Chancellor, Zweig, Stanley/Danko, and 2 different Roths.

Bill

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:54 pm

I can read the Amazon format in calibre, it works.

I've also posted the update in our sister Canadian site: Financial Wisdom Forum • Bill Bernstein - Free E-Book (for Millenials)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

neurosphere

Post by neurosphere » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:58 am

I just paid the $0.99 (impulse buy! Should have waited until tomorrow... :oops: )

I'm giving a talk today to a group of psychiatry residents, and have already updated my talk with a link to this e-book (hopefully they'll download it tomorrow) and also updated my talk with this quote from the book:
Act as if every broker, insurance salesman, mutual fund salesperson, and financial advisor you encounter is a hardened criminal, and stick to low-cost index funds, and you'll do just fine.
And be careful, if Taylor decides to do a "gems" post of this book, he'll end up quoting the entire book. :wink:

Neurosphere

2retire

Post by 2retire » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:41 am

Bill Bernstein wrote: Someone please let me know if it works.
Thanks for providing the DRM free version, it does work.

ndayev6

Post by ndayev6 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am

Dr. Bernstein,

Just read the short booklet (first run through). I thought it was excellent and I am sure it was challenging to write something so short given your prior works. I also learned what eleemosynary meant after a quick google search...haha. Anyways, I am thankful for all that you do and look forward to future contributions!

Nick

Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for the kind words.

Eleemosynary is one of my favorite words. Ninety-nine percent of its spoken usage is by lawyers telling someone that they're not paying them enough.

Bill

EvelynTroy

young investors a new Wm. Bernstein e-booklet

Post by EvelynTroy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:16 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

I noticed this link on The FianceBuff today:
William Bernstein wrote a short Kindle e-book for young investors: If You Can: How Millennials Can Get Rich Slowly. It’s $0.99 now on Amazon. I heard it will be free on Saturday April 5.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JCC ... &tag=pucif

Evelyn

ndayev6

Re: young investors a new Wm. Bernstein e-booklet

Post by ndayev6 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:34 pm

There is an ongoing thread with posts by Dr. Bernstein at:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... st=2017736

It is a great read. Will take much more time the second time through if you read the recommended books as instructed.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:03 pm

FYI - I merged a similar thread into here.

This thread is now in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum. Upon further review (I read the book...), I think it's more appropriate for the thread to be in this forum. It covers both personal finance and investing, but a lot more towards investing.

Dasnyc

Post by Dasnyc » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:45 am

I downloaded this morning. I will share with the 'next' generation of Bogleheads in my family. Thank you for your generosity!

Park

Post by Park » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 am

Many thanks to Bill Bernstein for an excellent paper. In the paper, he recommends reading Rick Ferri's "All About Asset Allocation" and Allan Roth's "How A Second Grade Beat Wall Street". Although both books are certainly worth reading, I would recommend Bill Bernstein's books as substitutes.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:58 am

Park wrote:Many thanks to Bill Bernstein for an excellent paper. In the paper, he recommends reading Rick Ferri's "All About Asset Allocation" and Allan Roth's "How A Second Grade Beat Wall Street". Although both books are certainly worth reading, I would recommend Bill Bernstein's books as substitutes.
Bill wrote that it's tacky to recommend your own books, but I disagree! Marketers do it all the time. A little self-promotion never hurt anyone so long as the product actually delivers, and Bill's books do.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks Dr. Bernstein,
That was an enjoyable read, as have been all of your books I've read so far. Very nice words for Mr. Bogle, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for the link to the savings path spreadsheet. I enjoy your no nonsense approach.

Will definitely recommend to others. Thanks!
"Invest we must." -- Jack Bogle | “The purpose of investing is not to simply optimise returns and make yourself rich. The purpose is not to die poor.” -- William Bernstein

avbferry

Post by avbferry » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Could someone share the ebook with us people from other countries?

moshe

Post by moshe » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Thank you! I have just read it and shared it with my wife and 2 college age children.

Now i have a nice reading list also :-)

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

ABQ4804

Post by ABQ4804 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks very much, Bill. It downloads very easily from Amazon to iPhone Kindle app. Now I'll just wait for opportunities with millennials in our family, to share this quick read. I agree, The Millionaire Next Door, is a good teaser to start with.

wilpat

Post by wilpat » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:33 am

Thank you very much! I am just beginning to read it. :D
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

kelage

Post by kelage » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:57 am

Thank you for making the book available. I enjoyed your father's response to the question about being "rich". I am hoping the words "free" and "Kindle" will at least get my children to open the link I sent them yesterday. :happy

Bill Bernstein

Post by Bill Bernstein » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Amazon tells me that it was free downloaded 1425 times yesterday; if even 10% of those change readers' behavior, the effort was worth it.

There are links on the book's webpage here:

http://efficientfrontier.com/ef/0adhoc/2books.htm

for free Acrobat, mobi, and azw3 (Kindle) format downloads.

Bill

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Thank you for a valuable resource! As a late boomer, I certainly don't qualify as millennial - but I do work with a number of them. I'll definitely be sharing this with them. Based on all the water cooler discussion I've heard about the company stock price, I can only assume a fair number of them have made the mistake of investing in company stock instead of the institutional class Vanguard index funds that are available in our 401k. :oops:

I downloaded the e-book myself and found it very engaging. Your analogies should be relevant to the targeted audience, as well as being short enough to keep their attention span!

siamond

Post by siamond » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:02 pm

Many thanks for this great write-up, Dr Bernstein. This was timely for me, as one friend and one colleague had just asked me questions about investing/retirement-planning '101', and this little e-book is the perfect answer for them!Much clearer than anything I could have said. Counting myself, this should make for 3 of the 1425 (+) readers! :wink:

Hub

Post by Hub » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:18 pm

This is great. Thank you for your generosity and contributions.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:31 pm

Great work Bill. Love the format.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:34 pm

FYI - I found an earlier thread and merged it into here, which is in the Investing - Theory, News & General forum.

The older thread had the title "New E-Book for Millenials". I'll keep the current title - "Free "If You Can" Kindle and .pdf eBook" since it's more descriptive.

The links are on Bill Bernstein's website: If You Can and Rational Expectations