Determining allocations of a fund

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
lcrock

Determining allocations of a fund

Post by lcrock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:30 pm

Hello,
I've been using the morningstar x-ray tool to determine what the asset allocation of a specific fund is, and plugging the percentages in to a custom spreadsheet to help with re-balancing. Unless I'm mis-using this tool, it seems to only gives a few a broad categories, like cash, us, foreign, bonds, other and not classified. I'd like to get better detail, like small, mid cap, large cap, value and growth etc. Some funds are simple, because they are target one thing, others not so easy to tell.

What do you folks use?
Thanks

livesoft

Re: Determining allocations of a fund

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Are you using the 9-box style grid of M* X-ray at all? That's where it has large-mid-small by value-blend-growth.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

harikaried

Post by harikaried » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 pm

What tool are you using? Is it this one?

http://portfolio.morningstar.com/Rtport ... Entry.aspx

When I enter "vt" for Ticker Symbol and "1" for Dollar Value then click "Show Instant X-Ray," near the top-right of the output is "Stock Style Diversification" with the usual Value/Core/Growth and Large/Med/Small output:

26 25 26
6 6 6
2 2 1

lcrock

Post by lcrock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:56 pm

Yes, thats it. I misunderstood what I was looking at. Thanks.

lcrock

Post by lcrock » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:01 pm

Follow-on question: what about bond funds? What's a good way to determine the allocation down to the level of govt short-intermediate-long, corp intermediate-long etc? It doesn't appear that the x-ray is a useful tool for bond funds, unless I am again operating with my head up my rear. VBIMX is one that I was looking at.
Thanks