List of Top 100 Things Desired To Do Yet in Lifetime

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retired at 48

List of Top 100 Things Desired To Do Yet in Lifetime

Post by retired at 48 »

Several Diehards requested it, here it is!...The Top 100 List

I recently made a Posting #12649 titled: First time Poster’s IRA @ $1,000,000: Shares Wisdom Learned. Within that posting I shared:
What did I do in early retirement? My wife and I made a list of the top 100 things we wanted to do in our remaining lifetimes. We have completed 47 of these.

This human interest tidbit created the most replies, and I later agreed to provide the list via a separate posting.

But first, let’s talk. If you are considering making such a listing for yourselves, here are the lessons learned and some suggested guidance I have provided to others:

1.There are some huge, personal lifetime goals or achievements that I recommend not be added to the list. Among these are: Have Children; Get Married; Graduate from College. The reason is most people are fully focused on their personal desires, and putting them on a list serves no useful purpose.

2.Do consider such things as “See an Ocean” or “Climb a High Mountain”. While these may be blasé to some, there are thousands of people, like Midwesterners, who have never seen an ocean.

3.The main purpose of the list is to help keep one focused. For instance, on a recent visit to Colorado, my wife and I stayed at the Brown Palace Hotel, Denver and the Broadmoor Resort, Colorado Springs, as part of our goal of visiting at least 25 of top 100 Historic Hotels in America.

4.While each item listed is precise, sub themes underlay many. For example, we recently visited The Alamo, an item on our list. However, the sub themes were to explore Texas, a most interesting State given it was once a separate Country (Republic) with its own currency, laws, etc., which we did.

5.If visiting any place, ask people attending the hotel desk “Where do the rich people live here, the poor people, and where are the Universities?” Touring or hanging out in these areas provides a full spectrum of what life is like in those parts.

6.Some items you may not have yet accomplished are inexplicable. For instance, I live 50 miles from Cooperstown, but have not yet visited the Baseball Hall of Fame. It’s so easy to put things off!

7.There is a tendency to fill the list with places to visit, e.g., traveling. Balance the list with truly difficult things, like write a book or learn to play a musical instrument. Also, consider personal fulfillment items such as: Get an A in a Course. If you have never done this, consider what you do very, very well, take a course in it, try for that A, i.e., try to relatively master something in your lifetime. It’s exhilarating!

So sit back, relax, perhaps discuss with your spouse, and enjoy our personal list. Here goes! And no, I did not show the 47 items we have completed to date…need some mystery! Remember, list was made in 1993!

100 Things Desired
To Do Yet In Lifetime

Play The Augusta National Golf Course (Masters)

Revisit Hawaii, exploring Kilauea Volcano and
Big Island

Write something published widely

Attend Kentucky Derby Horse Race

Witness a Space Shuttle Launching

Learn Ballroom Dancing

Visit at least 25 of Top 100 Historical
Hotels & Mansions in USA

Cruise Caribbean Islands, Eastward

Visit China

Teach a Course to a Class

Get a Golf Hole-in-One

Train Ride the Orient Express

Attend Indianapolis 500 Auto Race

Coach an Organized Athletic Team

Experience Mardi Gras in New Orleans

Achieve Financial Independence

Visit Paris, and Normandy Beachheads

Take Spouse to Aspen, Colorado

Tour the Hearst Castle, California

Live Briefly With Monks in a Monastery

Invent & Develop a Marketable Product

Ride Super Large Roller Coaster

Take Spouse to Yellowstone National Park

Cruise Caribbean Islands Westward

Visit Alaska

Visit Mount Rushmore

Paint a decent painting

Be at Times Square (NY City) on New Year’s Eve

Attend Rose Bowl Parade

Play Scotland’s Royal Saint Andrews Golf Course

Take Spouse to Cypress Point, Monterey, California

Visit Banff Resort, Alberta, Canada

Become Grandparents

Visit Redwoods National Forest

Tour University of Virginia

Speak as Feature at a High School Graduation

Visit Scotland

Tour “The Alamo” in Texas

Visit Zion National Park

Attend The America’s Cup Sailboat Races

Take my Mother to London

Visit German Concentration Camps

Attend Daytona 500 Stock Car Race

Serve on Charitable Organization’s Board of Directors

Attend US Open Golf Championship

Visit the New York Stock Exchange

Explore Turkey (Istanbul, and Goreme Cappadocia Fairy Chimneys Region)

Buy or Have Built Family Vacation Home

Sail a Large Windjammer Sailboat

Learn to Play a Musical Instrument

Catch a Large Ocean Fish (e.g., Marlin)

Visit Catalina Island, California

Visit Italy (Rome, Pompeii & Amalfi Coast)

Attend NCAA Final Four Basketball Championship

Play Pebble Beach Golf Course, Monterrey, CA

Explore Mammoth Cave Caverns in Kentucky

Visit Baseball Hall of Fame, Cooperstown, NY

Tour Gettysburg Battlefield in Pennsylvania

Visit Sedona, Arizona (Red Rocks and Indian Cliff Dwellings)

Explore North Carolina Outer Banks Region

Take a 3-Day Western Wagon Train Trip

Attend Breeder’s Cup Horse Racing Day

Learn to Use a Personal Computer

Visit Africa and Take Wild Animal Safari

Do Whitewater Rafting

Visit the Taj Mahal

Visit Ireland

Explore an Active Volcano

Visit Buddha Temples in Angkor Watts, Cambodia

Attend a large scale Rodeo (aka Calgary Stampede, or Vegas Chmpshp)

Bag an Antlered “Buck” Deer

Visit Bryce Canyon Nat’l. Park

Attend a Baseball World Series, Game Seven

Revisit Las Vegas

Visit Australia & New Zealand

Tour Jefferson’s House, Monticello, Virginia

Visit Switzerland

Weigh 180 Pounds

Tour a Southern Plantation

Train Ride Cross Country Tour

Visit Annapolis Naval Academy

Tour the Great Flood Area of Johnstown, Pennsylvania

Read Selected Books, per List

Visit Muir Woods in San Francisco

Visit the Woodstock, NY site of 1960’s Rock Music Festival

Visit a Crater Site (e.g. Crater Lake & Volcanic Nat’l. Monument Area)

Tour Frank Lloyd Wright Architectural Designs (Falling Water near Pittsburgh; Taliesin West near Scottsdale, Arizona)

Attend the Siegfried & Roy Animal and Magic Show, Las Vegas

Explore a Rainforest

Visit Lake Tahoe

Attend Barrett-Jackson Automobile Auction In Scottsdale, Arizona

Ride the Goodyear Blimp

Attend Bruce Springsteen and Rolling Stones Concerts

Attend a Penn State Football Bowl Game

Visit Great Smokey Mountains National Park

Watch Penn State Beat Indiana in Basketball

Revisit Mount Saint Helens Eruption Area

Attend The Master’s Golf Tournament

Accumulate the Card Game “Bridge” Masters Points

Snorkel in warm, fish loaded waters

Retired at 48
Last edited by retired at 48 on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Better take the NYSE off the list, I tried to do that last month. Closed for tours. But NASA is hiring.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

How about 1 thing.

- Enjoy what I do from day to day.

BTW, I've done 26 of the things on your list.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Retired_at_48,

I think it is a wonderful thread and I liked your introductory insights.

I will probably create a similar list for myself, but my major issue is that as I am gaining experiences my interests and desires also evolve. For example, when I travel I learn about places to visit that I have not considered before. When I read books I want to read other books that were not on my list. How do you deal with this? Do you prioritize your list? Do you replace entries?

Thank you,
Victoria
stratton

Post by stratton »

Revisit Mount Saint Helens in Oregon
I suppose if you mean the volcanic dust that drifted into Oregon from Washington. :wink:

Paul
actuaryinvestor

List of things to do

Post by actuaryinvestor »

Retired at 48, thanks for the list. I was looking forward to reading it. It's an interesting mix of big difficult tasks (invent and develop marketable product, write something published widely), easier goals (learn to use a personal computer, snorkel), and things you have no control over (watch Penn State beat Indiana, become grandparents).

Hopefully they will open up the NYSE tours soon, because I wanted to see that too (along with the Fed Reserve Bank tour). I don't know if Siegfried and Roy will come back, but there are rumors.

The goal on my list that may be out of my control is going into space.

--
Brian
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Hi VictoriaF!

The list is not prioritized. The book list is updated, and note "books to read, per list" is only one item on top 100. I just circle an item when done, on master list.

Some have suggested that when we complete the first 50, we should add another 50 and start over. We may do that.

Glad you enjoyed list...Retired at 48
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Hi Stratton...yes, I corrected it (Oregon added to clarify, but it is Wash.) I seem to remember going up a road from Oregon to get to the mountain one week after eruption!? Brought lot's of ash home.

Retired at 48
stratton

Post by stratton »

retired at 48 wrote:Hi Stratton...yes, I corrected it (Oregon added to clarify, but it is Wash.) I seem to remember going up a road from Oregon to get to the mountain one week after eruption!? Brought lot's of ash home.
It's definitely a popular hike. It's off I-5 about 20 miles north of Vancouver, Washington.

Paul
bolt

Post by bolt »

[removed at request of poster]
biasion

Post by biasion »

[removed]
1. Do not confuse strategy with outcome | 2. Those who fail to plan plan to fail | 3. Do not assume the unlikely is impossible, and | 4. Be ready to deal with the consequences if you do.
Bruce

Write something published widely

Post by Bruce »

I believe your first post may well qualify for checking off the "Write something published widely". We live in an age of electronic communication and you had a wide readership of your post.

Thanks for sharing your "100" list, since you mentioned it in your first post it has been a lot of fun talking with different family members about what their "top 10" items are for the start of a combined family "100 things to do list".

Don't know if you already checked Alaska off your list.

"There is one word of advice and caution to be given those intending to visit Alaska for pleasure. If you are old, go by all means. But if you are young, wait. The scenery of Alaska is much grander than anything else of the kind in the world and it is not well to dull one's capacity for enjoyment by seeing the finest first."
(National Geographic Society President Henry Gannett, Member of the 1899 Harriman Expedition to Alaska)

best regards,
Bruce
Bruce | | Winner of the 2017 Bogleheads Contest | | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
modal

Post by modal »

I think with a list like this you should make it so the items are contingent on you alone.

I have a 101 list though it's not completely filled out.

Select items from my list

To do:
Run a Marathon
Visit South America
Go to jail with someone who shares hard views against my own
Visit the Yukon Territory

Done or partially done:
Visit Italy
Write 10 short term people letters (5 done)
Go Deer Hunting
Try Moxie
White Coat Investor

Re: Write something published widely

Bruce wrote:
"There is one word of advice and caution to be given those intending to visit Alaska for pleasure. If you are old, go by all means. But if you are young, wait. The scenery of Alaska is much grander than anything else of the kind in the world and it is not well to dull one's capacity for enjoyment by seeing the finest first."
After spending the first 18 years of my life in Alaska and the next 14 years of my life elsewhere, there is great truth in this statement. Although I have found a few small places that were also wonderfully majestic...Yosemite, Sedona, parts of British Columbia, and parts of Utah come to mind.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

bolt wrote:Great "bucket list" R48, I've done a few of those things you've listed. You really should do Byrce, its surreal, as if your on another planet, as are some other surrounding AZ attractions. Good Luck!
Hi bolt...I'll join you in telling other diehards that Bryce Canyon is a teriffic place, probably in my wife's top five things, and my top 10. We both had this eerie feeling of "boundless time, spirits about and deep satisfaction." Strongly urge people to include Bryce in their top 100.

Sorry to hear of your current physical challenges...Retired at 48
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I like your list and why you made it.

I am happy to say I have visited and/or experienced 38 of them and would love to do some of those which I or my wife can still do physically. (Her gimpy knees have stopped some planned trips like China). I have plans for some of yours, though, in the next few years.
Thanks for giving your thoughts.
Our retirement has opened up more vistas for us.
Jim
Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn.~ Delmore Schwartz
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

[quote="Bruce"]I believe your first post may well qualify for checking off the "Write something published widely". We live in an age of electronic communication and you had a wide readership of your post.

Thanks for sharing your "100" list, since you mentioned it in your first post it has been a lot of fun talking with different family members about what their "top 10" items are for the start of a combined family "100 things to do list"...and:

The scenery of Alaska is much grander than anything else of the kind in the world and it is not well to dull one's capacity for enjoyment by seeing the finest first." /quote]

Reply: Good advice re "write something published widely". However, I am also trying for a home run here, writing a book on a subject five years in research, and for which I have been taking writing classes, etc. to learn tricks of trade. When I google my book's subject it comes up blank, so I am encouraged. Problem is I wait for rainy days to write, but seldom have any!

I agree re Alaska, but also notice a possible bias here, because your name location says "Alaska"!

Regarding making your own top 100's list, let me share this with you and other diehards so inclined. I was writing a book on the Top 100 things everyone should have done in lifetime, but got diverted. However, my research, which involved casually interviewing and talking with folks, showed that the top thing most would say is to "Visit Disneyworld and related complexes!"

Regarding Disneyworld, I know others might say, no way! The related complexes include Sea World, Universal Studios, Epcot, etc., and perhaps a one day sidebar to the Kennedy Space Center and touch the Saturn V moon space rocket. I point out that the Make A Wish Foundation, a charity which grants wishes to terminally ill children, has Disneyworld far and away the number one wish selected by children. And don't we adults all have a little bit of child in us?

Retired at 48.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

retired at 48 wrote:However, I am also trying for a home run here, writing a book on a subject five years in research, and for which I have been taking writing classes, etc. to learn tricks of trade. When I google my book's subject it comes up blank, so I am encouraged. Problem is I wait for rainy days to write, but seldom have any!

[snip]

I was writing a book on the Top 100 things everyone should have done in lifetime, but got diverted.
retired at 48,

Considering the interest your topic has generated here, perhaps you should switch to writing on sunny days :)
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Well put, VictoriaF....I'm taking a pulse of this thread! Ret/48.
Topic Author
retired at 48

Re: List of things to do

Post by retired at 48 »

actuaryinvestor wrote:Retired at 48, thanks for the list. I was looking forward to reading it. It's an interesting mix of big difficult tasks (invent and develop marketable product, write something published widely), easier goals (learn to use a personal computer, snorkel), and things you have no control over (watch Penn State beat Indiana, become grandparents).

--
Brian
Reply: Good observation Brian, but I must point out the two items of no apparent control, becoming grandparents and Penn State beating Indiana in Basketball, are two areas one can exert influence, and make a difference. For example, one does not causually beat Indiana. The collegiate program must be developed, the proper coaching staff hired, the resources provided, like a new Arena, etc. Then one becomes involved with Penn State to make these happen.. The ultimate consummation is then "Watch PSU beat Indiana".

Go Nittany Lions! Ret/48
kittychaos

Post by kittychaos »

Dear Dad - Congratulations on your financial success, your success with your earlier post, and on completing half of your "Things to Do" list. Hope you get to complete the rest of the list & then some. Love, Jen :D
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

kittychaos wrote:Dear Dad - Congratulations on your financial success, your success with your earlier post, and on completing half of your "Things to Do" list. Hope you get to complete the rest of the list & then some. Love, Jen :D
Jen,
Congratulations with having such a great father! And now he is also a star :)
Victoria
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
kittychaos

Post by kittychaos »

Thanks Victoria. My dad's an interesting person, truly one-of-a-kind. He loves and cares for his family very much and I'm lucky to have him as a father.
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

EmergDoc wrote:Better take the NYSE off the list, I tried to do that last month. Closed for tours. But NASA is hiring.
EmergDoc, judging by his posts, is the last person I would expect a minor detail like "The NY Stock Exchange is closed for tours" would keep him from doing it. :D C'mon Doc, the Augusta National Golf Course (Masters) , Riding The Goodyear Blimp, etc are not open to the public. This is part of the challenge.

Who said, There are many roads to Dublin? This is the fun part of it!

Ret/48
ipod_keith

Ride the Goodyear Blimp

Post by ipod_keith »

Ride the Goodyear Blimp

I would like to say that riding the Good Year blimp is not easy. I tried to get on it several years ago and was told it would not be happening. I also tried MetLife :(
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

I was lucky...I rode in the Goodyear Blimp :) Ret/48

BTW: A writer subsequently did a magazine story on my endeavor!
(15 minutes of fame)
Scarab

Worthwhile goals in life

Post by Scarab »

Wanted to mention that a friend of mine each year picks out three things to accomplish. Examples: learn a new language, learn to paint, etc.

She has done this for years......it is so humbling as I have not set out to accomplish such feats over my lifetime. At least, not in such an organized manner.

A wonderful idea to begin early in life.

Enjoyed reading your list. BTW, I have done/visited 36 of them. Among my travels, have visited all 7 continents.

Scarab
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Hi Scarab!

Perhaps visiting all seven continents should be on people's list. A nice goal. Ret/48
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

To: Diehards

There is one area perhaps off-limit to me in discussing. You see, one of my three daughters made a “congratulatory” post to me, above.

Therefore:

I won’t tell you that she is our middle daughter, having survived being bossed by her older sister!

I won’t tell you that she was an all-star field hockey player and she has a picture-perfect golf swing!

I won’t tell you that she was the third person granted an admissions offer to Penn State her freshman year, and graduated on-time!

And I won’t tell you how caring and sensitive she and her (Dukie) husband are!

For if I tell you, she might be embarrassed!

I will tell you, though, for the record, that her mother and I love her greatly! Thanks for the post, Jennifer.

Dad…Retired at 48
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

TO: Sheepdog

My wife and I are currently exploring the best way to tour China, "on gimpy knees!" Will keep you posted.

Retired at 48
rob

Post by rob »

There is a website I have used for a long time that lets you record 43 things and you can connect with others that want to or have done the same thing. Figured I would throw it out these for those interested.... http://www.43things.com/
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Basketball Alert! PENN STATE 68 -- INDIANA 64

Looks like I can check off another one from the top 100 list!

Retired at 48
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Retired at 48,

Don't bother going to see the Alamo. As a native Texan and as someone who has been to the Alamo twice, it is a great disappointment. The current Alamo was re-built, contains very few artifacts relevant to the battle, and is much smaller than one might imagine. I can't even begin to explain to you the disappointment I felt after visiting the Alamo. In 7th grade, all Texas students are required to take Texas History. You would've thought we won Independence from Mexico listening to the teacher explain the Alamo to us.

Instead of visiting the Alamo, I think you should add "Attend an OU/Texas Football Game." Now, THAT'S a sight to see in person!

John
dm200

Just thought of another one ...

Post by dm200 »

About 35 years ago, the Mormons built a new temple in the Washington DC area. For a period of time, they opened it up for tours, and I was able to tour the new Mormon temple. Very interesting.

Then, they did some things to it (like replacing the carpets, etc.) and closed it to non-Mormons (forever, I believe).

S, if you are not a Mormon, and they build a new temple in your area, go visit, if you have the opportunity.
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

HI Boomer Sooner!...I agree that taken by itself, the Alamo is not a great singular attraction.

But as I stated elsewhere, we try to do a lot more than the target item. My wife and I visited the Alamo last spring, but we also made it a visit to learn about Texas. So we did enjoy tours of old San Antonio and its history, walking the Riverwalk Area, visiting Austin and touring the State Capital, visiting the Univ of Texas campus, dining at an old historic hotel in downtown Austin, visiting presidential libraries, driving the wealthy suburbs, etc. Often these sidebars are more rewarding than the specific item.

Now if you want to talk about real disappointment, my last was attending the Oklahoma -- Southern Cal National Collegiate Football Championship Game in Miami! BTW did Okla then drop football...it was rumored back here!

Retired at 48.....Go Nittany Lions!
White Coat Investor

Re: Just thought of another one ...

dm200 wrote:
Then, they did some things to it (like replacing the carpets, etc.) and closed it to non-Mormons (forever, I believe).

S, if you are not a Mormon, and they build a new temple in your area, go visit, if you have the opportunity.
They occasionally reopen one to public tours when it has to be closed for renovations, then they rededicate it. But I agree, it is a rare opportunity.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

how about a visit to the Playboy Mansion?
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Gekko wrote:how about a visit to the Playboy Mansion?
My list is for things YET to do in lifetime. Gekko, if you haven't yet visited the Playboy Mansion, by all means add it to your list. :)

Notably, in the space of a couple response postings, we have recommendations ranging from visiting the playboy mansion to touring a mormon temple! The forum does not lack for interesting people.

Retired at 48
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

retired at 48 wrote:
My list is for things YET to do in lifetime. Gekko, if you haven't yet visited the Playboy Mansion, by all means add it to your list. :)

Notably, in the space of a couple response postings, we have recommendations ranging from visiting the playboy mansion to touring a mormon temple! The forum does not lack for interesting people.

Retired at 48
so how was it? details, please.
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

Gekko wrote:
retired at 48 wrote:

Retired at 48
so how was it? details, please.
Gekko, you're calling my potential bluff. Understand, not only my three daughters and spouse, but my mother-in-law is surfing this posting! Please let me off the hook here. :!: :) Now I feel like Elliot Spitzer :cry:

Retired at 48
SoonerSunDevil

Post by SoonerSunDevil »

Send Gekko a PM with the details, and be sure to copy me, too!
J-e-L-L-o

Post by J-e-L-L-o »

for retired 48

have u been to the Hotel del Coronado? Phenominal hotel. Marilyn Monroe frequented there often.

myself i just have a short list:
London
Sydney
Toronto
Tokyo.
J-e-L-L-o

Post by J-e-L-L-o »

for retired 48

have u been to the Hotel del Coronado? Phenominal hotel. Marilyn Monroe frequented there often.

myself i just have a short list:
London
Sydney
Toronto
Tokyo.
Stevewc

The Blimp

Post by Stevewc »

I've been able to do a few things on your list.
The one that stood out to me though was riding the blimp.
I did get to ride on the Bud Blimp a few years back.
I work at an Airport and talked the pilot into letting me ride.
It took a while but I think he realized I wasn't going to give up until I Rode <smile>.
Later Guys,
Steve
dm200

If I can arrange it,

Post by dm200 »

I hope to see baseball games at both Shea Stadium and Yankee Stadium in 2008. I believe 2008 is the last year for both Stadiums. I have never been to Yankee Stadium, and I saw one baseball game at Shea back in the 1960's. I also saw a Jets game there in the late 60's.
Topic Author
retired at 48

Re: If I can arrange it,

Post by retired at 48 »

dm200 wrote:I hope to see baseball games at both Shea Stadium and Yankee Stadium in 2008. I believe 2008 is the last year for both Stadiums. I have never been to Yankee Stadium, and I saw one baseball game at Shea back in the 1960's. I also saw a Jets game there in the late 60's.
IMHO Shea stadium is more of a cookie cutter type stadium and would not venture far to see it. Perhaps you just like those NY teams. But Yankee Stadium is another story. For anyone, it certainly is full of tradition, etc. A great pick. Hope you get there. Ret/48.
dm200

Yes

Post by dm200 »

IMHO Shea stadium is more of a cookie cutter type stadium and would not venture far to see it. Perhaps you just like those NY teams. But Yankee Stadium is another story. For anyone, it certainly is full of tradition, etc. A great pick. Hope you get there.
I agree with you about Shea Stadium. Those National league stadiums of the 60s and 70s were multipurpose and very similar. Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cincinati have all replaced theirs with separate baseball and football stadiums. RFK in Washington is being replaced by a baseball only stadium this year. I think Shea is the last one left.

On the other hand, there is a lot of history at Shea. The Mets played several World Series there, and the Jets were tenants for decades. The Yankees played there for (I think) 2 seasons while Yankee Stadium was being rebuilt. I think (not 100% sure) that the NY Football Giants even played some games there.

I am trying to figure out if there are games in both stadiums on adjacent dates where I can make one trip and attend games at both places.

dan
Topic Author
retired at 48

Re: The Blimp

Post by retired at 48 »

Stevewc wrote:I've been able to do a few things on your list.
The one that stood out to me though was riding the blimp.
I did get to ride on the Bud Blimp a few years back.
I work at an Airport and talked the pilot into letting me ride.
It took a while but I think he realized I wasn't going to give up until I Rode <smile>.
Later Guys,
Steve
Steve. You are the first person I ever heard of who also flew in a blimp. :D It sounds like you are younger, as you state you have only completed a few items on my list. I note the more senior diehards state they did about 35 of my list. Even if you don't formally make up a list, get focused on those special things you want to do, and carve out some of life doing them, IMHO. Then, if you start a list when retired, hopefully it is short on the big hitters.

Good luck Steve.....Retired at 48
jimmydean

Great List

Post by jimmydean »

Thank you for sharing your list. I started by counting which items on your list I've already done but quickly found myself thinking "well, I don't know about that, but I'd really like to/already experienced _____(sometimes something similar, sometimes wondering why waste your time with what you listed)." It just made me appreciate our uniqueness a little more. Good luck, please don't take "No" or "I can't" for an answer and again, thank you.
Topic Author
retired at 48

Post by retired at 48 »

J-e-L-L-o wrote:for retired 48

I'm relaying the following from my wife. Yes, we lived in San Diego for a year, forty years ago. She loves Hotel del Coronado, and when we return periodically to SD, we try to stop there for lunch or drinks.

For your info, there are publications regarding the top old historic hotels in USA, and based on our visits to several, there are many similar to the del Coronado. An example is The Sagamore on Lake George, near where I live in upstate NY. Have fun visiting any of them. retired at 48