Wife's birthday gift

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newboggler

Wife's birthday gift

Post by newboggler » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi Bogleheads...
what gift we should give wife on her bday which is money well spent... like something she likes and which does not depreciates !
Any suggestions?

mike143

Re: Wife's birthday gift

Post by mike143 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:00 pm

Verbalized request include flowers and jewelry. We have agreed to stop gifting after the first year. For our birthdays, anniversary and valentines day we go out for a nice dinner and I get the wife flowers.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:18 pm

If you own your own home, perhaps a special bush/shrub, or a small tree, perhaps something flowering or an evergreen?
Something "nice" can be fairly inexpensive, or go up to <whatever you'd want to spend>.

If you don't own, then perhaps a decorative urn with a small plant, or with perennials that would get replanted each spring (the gift that YOU keep giving!).

That will continue to provide enjoyment every day, in addition to being a reminder of your thoughtfulness.

If either of you are good with indoor plants, that's another possibility, but we've found they don't often last quite as long, ahem :shock:

RM

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:24 pm

A photo album of the pictures of the two of you? I did that for my wife with the pictures in chronological order. She loved it. I did it recently for Mothers Day. I try not to spend too much money and go for the more personal gifts which almost always leave more of an impression.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

My best investments.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:31 pm

newboggler wrote:Hi Bogleheads...
what gift we should give wife on her bday which is money well spent... like something she likes and which does not depreciates !
Any suggestions?
newboggler:

Not exactly a birthday gift, but I liked to bring my wife fresh flowers at least once a week (the best investments I ever made). :wink:

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:44 pm

My policy is that birthday, anniversary and Holiday gifts are all about the heart and not the pocketbook. Decide how much you want to spend and buy her something that will make her feel loved and appreciated. It doesn't have to be a romantic gift. Sometimes a gift that she will use and appreciate fills the bill. I gave my wife an iPad for her birthday a couple of years ago and it went over far better than I ever dreamed it would. She loves it, takes it everywhere and uses it every day.

A friend asked his new bride what she wanted for their first Christmas as husband and wife. She asked for a band saw. She likes to build things and wanted to build some new cabinets for their house. God love her! :sharebeer My friend is smart and gave her one. Know thy bride and give her what makes HER happy.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

SnapShots

Post by SnapShots » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 pm

You don't say how long you've been married. Early in marriage it is important to remember and do something. It is not possible to get that special and most memorable gift every year. Some years there's that special something. Other years nothing stands out.

It use to hurt my feelings when DH didn't do anything. I no longer care. He is thoughtful throughout the year by remembering to open the garage door when I'm late, to bring me an umbrella because it might rain, warm my cup for coffee before I get up, fill the car up with gas because I hate doing it, never complains about what I cook...even though he eat's cereal a little later after dinner, doesn't turn on the lights when he gets dressed in the morning so not to wake me, is always 100% on my side even when I'm wrong.....etc.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:15 am

SnapShots wrote:
It use to hurt my feelings when DH didn't do anything. I no longer care. He is thoughtful throughout the year by remembering to open the garage door when I'm late, to bring me an umbrella because it might rain, warm my cup for coffee before I get up, fill the car up with gas because I hate doing it, never complains about what I cook...even though he eat's cereal a little later after dinner, doesn't turn on the lights when he gets dressed in the morning so not to wake me, is always 100% on my side even when I'm wrong.....etc.
SnapShots:

I think your marriage is likely to match our own 62 years together!

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Topic Author
newboggler

Post by newboggler » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks for input guys...
I really like ipad idea but already have one !
I think I am going to get flowers and something else!
May be two tickets to nyc river cruise ferry with dinner on it ! Not sure how much is the price though.

Ill keep posted!
Again thx

DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 pm

For next year, whenever she (or anyone really) seems very interested in something, write it down so you remember to buy it or something associated with it. Cost isn't important. Taking note of her interests is. That's all the gift advice you will ever need. Now run with it.
"Stay the course." - J. Kirk