DIEHARDS VII ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

DIEHARDS VII ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:17 pm

Hello Bogleheads/Diehards:

***************SEE MEL'S 1-13-08 DIEHARDS VII SOLD OUT POST***************

We are pleased to announce that our 2008 Bogleheads/Diehards Reunion (Diehards VII) will be held in San Diego, California, with registration and reception starting at 3PM on Monday, September 22, 2008, and ending at noon on Wednesday, September 24, 2008. The hotel chosen is just 0.7 miles from the city center and 2 miles from San Diego International Airport. The hotel offers free airport shuttle.

Our special guest for Diehards VII is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle. Jack is attending specifically to meet with his Bogleheads, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend are authors Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Taylor Larimore, Michael LeBoeuf, Mel Lindauer, and Bill Schultheis. In addition to the Diehard authors, our Q&A Panel of Experts is also expected to include Morningstar's Sue Stevens, Professor Ed Tower of Duke University, and our own Queen Laura.

We'll start with a wine and cheese reception on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle for his personal presentation and Q&A. After lunch, there will be book signings with Jack and the Diehard authors. Then on Tuesday evening, we’ll enjoy our annual Bogleheads Banquet with Jack Bogle and the authors. Finally, we'll wrap up the meeting on Wednesday, after a morning Q&A session with the Panel of Experts.

The registration fee for this meeting is $179 per person. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE since we must sign a contract with the hotel and guarantee them a minimum level of revenue. This non-refundable fee covers the reception on Monday, breakfast, lunch, and dinner banquet on Tuesday, breakfast on Wednesday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the question and answer sessions. The registration will be on a first-come basis. We suggest that you make your reservation early and send in your registration fee right away, since attendance will be limited.

To make your reservation for the meeting, please send an email with your Boglehead and/or Morningstar login name, your real name, and your contact information to diehardsvii@gmail.com ASAP. Paul Globerson, who is the coordinator of the San Diego Diehards Local Chapter, will respond via email with details regarding where to send your non-refundable registration fee. Once your payment is received, Paul will advise registered Diehards on the procedure for reserving a room at our conference hotel at the discounted rate of $129 per night (versus the regular rate of $229 per night). The hotel is holding a limited number of rooms for us at this special rate.

We look forward to another exciting event, meeting with Jack Bogle and our author friends, seeing many previous attendees again, and meeting some of you for the first time.

Mel, Taylor, & Paul Globerson
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:11 am

Bump

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:19 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:Bump
Mel,
Perhaps you should also write something in the preliminary announcement within Investing - Help, Personal Issues and Advice. That's where I was looking for updates.

Happy New Year and will see you in San Diego,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:26 am

VictoriaF wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Bump
Mel,
Perhaps you should also write something in the preliminary announcement within Investing - Help, Personal Issues and Advice. That's where I was looking for updates.

Happy New Year and will see you in San Diego,

Victoria
OK, Victoria. Will do.

Looking forward to seeing you again in SD.

Best regards,

Mel

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Diehards VII

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 am

Hello Everyone:

Early registrations are running very high, so it looks like we're going to have a sell-out again this year. Anyone who knows they'll be coming should get their registration in so they don't get shut out.

Best regards to all,

Mel

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Boglehead Reunion Registration

Post by Taylor Larimore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Bump up for those who missed the earlier post.

Best wishes
Taylor

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

DIEHARDS VII SOLD OUT

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Hello Everyone:

I'm both pleased and sorry to say that we've stopped accepting any more reservation requests at this time. We're nearly sold out with checks in hand, and there are still a number of reservations requests outstanding that will put us over the top, once those checks are received.

So, if you've received your reservation request and haven't sent in your check yet, you need to do so now. Otherwise, we'll assume you're not coming and will start accepting new reservations again.

Best regards to all,

Mel

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:25 pm

I somewhat stumbled on to this when reading a thread on questions generated for last year.

Do the responses from the meeting getting documented and posted somewhere (like for 2007)?

Thanks.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Webfoot wrote:I somewhat stumbled on to this when reading a thread on questions generated for last year.

Do the responses from the meeting getting documented and posted somewhere (like for 2007)?

Thanks.
Hopefully we'll have someone volunteer to take notes and then post them again this year, like Victoria did last year. (HINT: Are you listening, Victoria?)

Regards,

Mel

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:05 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
Webfoot wrote:I somewhat stumbled on to this when reading a thread on questions generated for last year.

Thanks.
Hopefully we'll have someone volunteer to take notes and then post them again this year, like Victoria did last year. (HINT: Are you listening, Victoria?)

Regards,

Mel
I am listening, Mel :)

LA Guy

2007 Diehards Meeting Summary by Victoria

Post by LA Guy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:09 am

Hi,

I tried searching the bogleheads.org for 2007 Diehards post but I can't seem to find it.

Appreciate some help with the link.

Best Regards, LA Guy

VictoriaF

Re: 2007 Diehards Meeting Summary by Victoria

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:56 am

LA Guy wrote:Hi,

I tried searching the bogleheads.org for 2007 Diehards post but I can't seem to find it.

Appreciate some help with the link.

Best Regards, LA Guy
Hi LA Guy,

Try the link for Post Diehards VI "Reports" Here :

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3288

Victoria

LA Guy

Diehards 2007 Meeting Review

Post by LA Guy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi Victoria,

Thanks for the very informative link.

I know that the Sept 2008 Event in San Diego has long been sold out, so
I'm hoping there will be another round of posts with those proceedings.

Take care, LA Guy :D

sschullo

2 slots available

Post by sschullo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:55 pm

Hi all,
My companion and I just informed Paul that we cannot make it.
Good luck,
Steve
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

LA Guy

Post by LA Guy » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear you can't make it.

But, I would like to get 1 of those tickets if possible.

Last year, I drove to Vegas from LA, Ca after having booked online
only to find out at the Event that the event was already full.

I was turned away ... :cry:

Regards, LA Guy

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:46 am

Hi LA,
I don't have any "tickets." Don't know what the procedure is for new vacancies. You need to contact Paul, the SD coordinator.
Good luck,
Steve
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

LA Guy

Post by LA Guy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:37 am

Hi Steve,

Paul G. has responded that the event is all booked and that their was a waiting list.

He said that you did NOT contact him about not coming ? ...

So, I don't know if you're "place" is being taken by waiting list people.

Anyway, I'll have to wait for the "posted highlights" from a thoughtful Boglehead at the meeting.

No worries. Wasn't meant to be.

LA Guy

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:56 am

Hi LA,
Probably our spots are being taken by waiting list people.
BTW, I have informed Paul, must have mistaken me for somebody else. There are a lot of Steves in this world.

Wasn't meant to be for me either. I have been wanting to go for many years. First it was work scheduling conflicts and now it is something I have only heard about, not experienced until now: retirement activity conflicts.

Maybe next year,
Steve

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:01 pm

Mel,

I am on the waiting list for the September Boglehead meeting. Is it possible to know how many people are ahead of me on the list? We need to arrange for the trip if we are lucky enough to get in.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:58 pm

HueyLD wrote:Mel,

I am on the waiting list for the September Boglehead meeting. Is it possible to know how many people are ahead of me on the list? We need to arrange for the trip if we are lucky enough to get in.

Thanks in advance for your reply.
Sorry, Huey, but we're fully booked. Perhaps you and all the other folks who got shut out will get your reservations in early next year in order to make sure you get a spot.

Regards,

Mel

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:10 am

Hi,
For the Bogleheads that will have a little extra time in San Diego when they attend Diehards VII, the NY Times has an article about things to do in San Diego:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/trave ... ref=slogin Have fun.
Best Wishes, | Joe

stratton

Post by stratton » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:36 am

JMacDonald wrote:Hi,
For the Bogleheads that will have a little extra time in San Diego when they attend Diehards VII, the NY Times has an article about things to do in San Diego:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/trave ... ref=slogin Have fun.
Thanks!

The entire article is incredibly condescending. Lots of information, but not sure how good it is because of the writers attitude.

Paul