BOGLEHEADS 10 -- REGISTRATION ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

BOGLEHEADS 10 -- REGISTRATION ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

3-27-11 UPDATE: Due to the overwhelming response, we've added additional space, so if you'd like to attend, send in your request as per the instructions below.

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2011 National Bogleheads Reunion (Bogleheads 10) will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with registration and reception starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 12, 2011 and the meeting ending around noon on Friday, October 14, 2011. Airport to hotel transportation options will be provided to registrants.

Our special guest for Bogleheads 10 is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend and participate as panel members in the Q&Q with the Experts are authors Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Bill Schultheis, Allan Roth, Mel Lindauer and our own “Queen” Laura Dogu.

We'll start with registration and a wine and cheese reception with Jack Bogle on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle again for an extended Q&A session. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll have a special treat: a visit to Vanguard. Finally, we'll wrap up the reunion around noon on Friday after breakfast and a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$235 per person. This non-refundable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and evening meal on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions. Transportation to and from Vanguard is also included.

Registration is now open. Due to the conference room size, we have to limit the number of attendees this year, so the registration will be on a first-come basis. We suggest that you make your reservation early and send in your registration fee right away to ensure getting one of the available spots. Last year we sold out in three weeks and had to return some checks that arrived after we had reached our limit, and we expect to sell out quickly again this year. There will be no wait list, so if you want to join us, you’ll need to act promptly or risk being shut out.

To make your reservation for the meeting, please send an email with your Boglehead and/or Morningstar login name, your real name, and your contact information to Bogleheads10@gmail.com ASAP. Please include the words “BH10 registration form request” in the subject title so we’ll know immediately what it’s in reference to.

Paul Globerson of the San Diego Bogleheads Chapter, who is one of the coordinators for this event (along with Ed Rager of the DC Chapter and Gail Cox of the Dallas Chapter) will respond via email with details, starting on March 28th, regarding where to send your non-refundable registration fee. Once your payment is received, Paul will advise registered Bogleheads on the procedure for reserving a room at our preferred conference hotel at the discounted rate of $129 per night single and $144 per night double (both plus 8% tax). The hotel will hold a limited number of rooms for us at this special rate, so we suggest you make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to pay a higher rate. This special room rate is available for three days prior to, and three days after our event for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel, Taylor, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson and Gail Cox
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
natureexplorer

Post by natureexplorer »

Thanks for organizing!

Let's have this in Hawaii some time. :)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Email sent. Count me in!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

I'm going to be one state away at a different conference on precisely those dates... count me as bummed!!
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

natureexplorer wrote:Thanks for organizing!

Let's have this in Hawaii some time. :)
Would love to hold one in Hawaii, but that's too long of a trip for Jack, given his uncertain health.
Allan Roth

Post by Allan Roth »

I can't wait to attend. Missing last year was a real disapointment for me. See you all in Philly!
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Allan, it will be great to see you this year!

Everyone, request your registration form soon! This years will sell out quickly since we are limited on space!

Gail
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Last edited by VictoriaF on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

What fun, a first BH event for me in my home town. My only concern would be whether those dates conflict with the Phillies World Series parade :D
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld
Taylor Larimore

No regrets

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Hi Bogleheads:

For what it's worth, I have never heard of anyone who attended a Boglehead Reunion regretting their decision.

This year, author and columnist, Allan Roth, CPA, CFP is replacing me on our Panel of Experts which will be an improvement.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Rager1

Re: No regrets

Post by Rager1 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:...This year, author and columnist, Allan Roth, CPA, CFP is replacing me on our Panel of Experts.....
Not true, Taylor. No one can replace you!

Ed
JimTed

BH10 Registration Confirmation?

Post by JimTed »

I am really looking forward to attending my first BH reunion! I sent the requested registration email. Is there a way to confirm that I am "officially" registered before the payment information is provided on March 28th?

Thanks,
Jim
Kathleen Ryan

Bogleheads 10

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Dear Taylor, Mel, Gail, Ed, and Paul,

Count me in! :)

I sent my email information in, and am so looking forward to seeing Mr. Bogle, and the friends I've made through the years at these wonderful reunions.

I regret having missed BH 9, but I had just started a new job and couldn't get time off so soon.

Dear Taylor,

I agree wholeheartedly with Ed in that you can never be replaced!

With best wishes to all,
Kathleen
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

Never been to the "City of Brotherly Love."
We just might make it this time.
Steve
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 »

Looking forward to our third BH event... Thanks to the unsung heroes here. The tireless volunteers who make this event happen. You along with Jack are truly appreciated in the 'Great white north.'

Cheers
The SB's....
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein
Rager1

Re: BH10 Registration Confirmation?

Post by Rager1 »

JimTed wrote:I am really looking forward to attending my first BH reunion! I sent the requested registration email. Is there a way to confirm that I am "officially" registered before the payment information is provided on March 28th?

Thanks,
Jim
Hi Jim,

You're not officially "registered" until we've received your check. However, we have received your request for registration information, which you'll receive starting on March 28th.

Ed
White Coat Investor

Re: No regrets

Post by White Coat Investor »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Bogleheads:

For what it's worth, I have never heard of anyone who attended a Boglehead Reunion regretting their decision.

This year, author and columnist, Allan Roth, CPA, CFP is replacing me on our Panel of Experts which will be an improvement.
Does that mean you're not coming or that you're not on the panel?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Taylor Larimore

Can't make it this year.

Emerging Doc:
Does that mean you're not coming or that you're not on the panel?
Unfortunately, due to health reasons, Pat and I will be unable to attend this year. :cry:
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

You'll definitely be missed, Taylor.
Startled Cat

Post by Startled Cat »

I've really wanted to go to one of the reunions, but my inner Boglehead won't let me spend the money, frequent flyer miles, and time off from work. Maybe next year.
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Taylor,

A Bogleheads reunion definitely will not be the same without you and Pat there. :cry:

I may be in Miami with Michael in the next few months for business and I would love to meet you and Pat for dinner.

You will be very, very, very missed this year!!

Gail
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

sschullo wrote:Never been to the "City of Brotherly Love."
We just might make it this time.
Steve
If you're really serious about attending, Steve, I suggest you get your request in promptly. From the response we've received so far, it looks like we're well on our way to another quick sellout.
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mel Lindauer wrote:From the response we've received so far, it looks like we're well on our way to another quick sellout.
Hi Mel,

By 28 March, you may get far more registration requests than the conference capacity. After that, it may become a competition between different branches of the Postal Service with disadvantage for our neighbors from the North.

Is there a plan to send registration information before 28 March, if you see the imminent sellout?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Rager1: Hopefully, you've received the email regarding my interest in attending BH10. Really looking forward to it!

Are you at liberty to reveal the hotel yet? Since I'll also be visiting my 87 year old mom, and friends as well, I am not totally sure where I'll be bunking.

Cheers & many thanks
Ron
Taylor Larimore

Why the secrecy ?

Hi Ron:

The identity of the hotel is not being publicly revealed because we want to be sure the limited number of discounted rooms go to registered Bogleheads.
FabLab

Re: Why the secrecy ?

Post by FabLab »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Hi Ron:

The identity of the hotel is not being publicly revealed because we want to be sure the limited number of discounted rooms go to registered Bogleheads.
Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the note. I understand completely.

Cheers,
Ron
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:From the response we've received so far, it looks like we're well on our way to another quick sellout.
Hi Mel,

By 28 March, you may get far more registration requests than the conference capacity. After that, it may become a competition between different branches of the Postal Service with disadvantage for our neighbors from the North.

Is there a plan to send registration information before 28 March, if you see the imminent sellout?

Victoria
Hi Victoria:

Don't worry; we plan to respond in the order we received the requests.

And, if we're oversubscribed, to equalize it for all parts of the country, we'll use the postmark on the envelope with the check and registration paperwork to determine who gets a spot. So make sure you respond promptly once you get the instructions and that the postmark shows clearly when you mail in your paperwork and check.

Those who procrastinate in getting their registration and check in promptly may well get shut as, as many did last year.

Forewarned is forearmed.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

Mel Lindauer wrote:You'll definitely be missed, Taylor.
Ditto that thought. I had been looking forward to finally meeting you in person.
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
dpbsmith

Post by dpbsmith »

ObliviousInvestor wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:You'll definitely be missed, Taylor.
Ditto that thought. I had been looking forward to finally meeting you in person.
Likewise.
gypsylady

Post by gypsylady »

Request sent in! I am so excited! This will be my 3rd Reunion! If there is anyone out there 'sitting on the fence' about this, I'd urge you to get off and come to this amazing gathering! The level of discourse (and fun) is pretty neat!
Kathleen, if the 'Bogleettes' are performing, I'll be available!
Will probably come in Tues afternoon, if we need to practice!

Deb from NM
shawcroft

Looking forward to BH10

Post by shawcroft »

Our request is in! Hope to see you all in Philadelphia. The program sounds like a winner, as usual!
Shawcroft
Dan-Fl

BH10

Post by Dan-Fl »

Afternoon,
I sent my request in within hours after getting the early heads up about the BH10 gathering. I have gotten nothing back yet?
Am I alone or what is up? I would hate to get closed out due to a glitch.
Dan-Fl
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Dan,

From Mel's first post:

"Paul Globerson of the San Diego Bogleheads Chapter, who is one of the coordinators for this event (along with Ed Rager of the DC Chapter and Gail Cox of the Dallas Chapter) will respond via email with details, starting on March 28th, regarding where to send your non-refundable registration fee."
Dan-Fl

Post by Dan-Fl »

Thanks Huey,
Scanning is not an effective reading technique. Thanks for the information!
Dan
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: BH10

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Dan-Fl wrote:Afternoon,
I sent my request in within hours after getting the early heads up about the BH10 gathering. I have gotten nothing back yet?
Am I alone or what is up? I would hate to get closed out due to a glitch.
Dan-Fl
Hi Dan:

I checked the e-mail requests and yours is there, so you can rest easy.
Kathleen Ryan

Hi Taylor

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi Taylor

You will be missed so much, as a Bogleheads Reunion just isn't the same without you.

Thank you again so much for when you and Pat hosted the very first Bogleheads Reunion in your home. I missed that very first one, but it was such a pleasure to meet you at BH 2. You always have a way of making everyone that attends feel welcome.

With best wishes to you always,
Kathleen
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Kathleen Ryan

Hi gypsylady

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Hi gypsylady

Thank you for volunteering to join in with the Boglettes at BH 10.

I don't know if there will be time for us to sing to Mr. Bogle, being the schedule is so full already, but if so, it is good to know you will be there a day early for practice!

What fun we all have had singing to him. 8)
Best wishes, | Kathleen
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: Hi gypsylady

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Kathleen Ryan wrote:Hi gypsylady

Thank you for volunteering to join in with the Boglettes at BH 10.

I don't know if there will be time for us to sing to Mr. Bogle, being the schedule is so full already, but if so, it is good to know you will be there a day early for practice!

What fun we all have had singing to him. 8)
Hi gypsylady and Kathleen:

The schedule is full, so there won't be any performance by the Boglettes this year.
winterescape

Post by winterescape »

We had a great time last year at our first one and look forward to this one! Thanks for all the work everyone of the volunteers puts into this event...
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

We (John and Therese - AustinJohn and Zanahorias) are looking forward to seeing all our friends and sharing ideas.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

AustinJohn wrote:We (John and Therese - AustinJohn and Zanahorias) are looking forward to seeing all our friends and sharing ideas.
Did you send your registration request in as per the announcement?
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

Yes, we did, Mel. I hope it's there. John
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

AustinJohn wrote:Yes, we did, Mel. I hope it's there. John
Yes, it's there, John. You (and everyone) will be hearing back in the order we received the requests.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

The response has been so overwhelming that we've added more space. If you're thinking you'd like to attend, you need to act now before that additional space is all gone.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Mel Lindauer wrote:The response has been so overwhelming that we've added more space. If you're thinking you'd like to attend, you need to act now before that additional space is all gone.
Hi Mel,
I hope you've got mine; probably do since I sent it in fairly soon after your initial post. Thanks.

Cheers,
Ron
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RonV wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:The response has been so overwhelming that we've added more space. If you're thinking you'd like to attend, you need to act now before that additional space is all gone.
Hi Mel,
I hope you've got mine; probably do since I sent it in fairly soon after your initial post. Thanks.

Cheers,
Ron
Hi Ron:

Just looking through the names on the e-mails (not actually opening each one up) I'm not sure we got yours. Why don't you send it again, just to be sure. Better to get two e-mails from us than none.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
RonV wrote:
Hi Mel,

Cheers,
Ron
Hi Ron:

Just looking through the names on the e-mails (not actually opening each one up) I'm not sure we got yours. Why don't you send it again, just to be sure. Better to get two e-mails from us than none.
Mel,
Thanks for the heads up! Though I originally sent in my request within 24 hours of your first BH 10 announcement post, I just sent the second per your advice. I'm really looking forward to this event.

Cheers,
Ron
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

RonV wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:
RonV wrote:
Hi Mel,

Cheers,
Ron
Hi Ron:

Mel,
Thanks for the heads up! Though I originally sent in my request within 24 hours of your first BH 10 announcement post, I just sent the second per your advice. I'm really looking forward to this event.

Cheers,
Ron
I did see your latest e-mail show up, Ron.
rayout

Post by rayout »

I haven't heard back yet either so I sent another e-mail. Hope I get a chance to attend :D
Sally

Post by Sally »

I, too, sent an email back (March5th at 11:27) but haven't heard anything. I just sent another email asking about it, but then thought maybe this was a good to do to make sure the email is getting there.

I would like to attend (and don't have other obligations this year!!).

Sally