Body by Science Workout

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gatorman

Body by Science Workout

Post by gatorman »

This is a great workout, I raised my bench press from 150 lbs to 310 lbs in 16 weeks, had similar gains on the other exercises. Get your doctor's approval before attempting.

Here is a summary of the exercise program:

5 exercises:
Bench Press
Overhead Press
Cable Row
Pulldowns
Leg Press

Make sure you do the exercises with perfect form.
Start with weights you can do 15 reps.
Do the pulldowns with an underhand grip.
On the cable rows and pulldowns, try and pinch your shoulder blades together at the end of each rep.
Raise the weight slowly over 10 seconds and lower it slowly over 10 seconds.
Do not jerk the weights and do not attempt to lift quickly.
Don't rest between exercises.
Exercise once per week, 1 set of each exercise.
Raise the weight on each exercise 10 lbs. per week until you reach a weight you can only do 5-8 reps.
After you reach that weight, try and increase your reps until you can do 8 reps again, then increase the weight.
The objective is to achieve momentary muscle failure at 5-8 reps.
Once you are doing 5-8 reps of each exercise the entire workout shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes max.

Diet: Try to eat a paleo diet- lean meat, green veggies, fruits, nuts (but not peanuts). No dairy, no bread, cereal, pasta, legumes or grains. No corn,rice or potatoes.

Here is a link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Science-Rese ... 451&sr=1-1

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me.

gatorman
Toons

Post by Toons »

"I raised my bench press from 150 lbs to 310 lbs in 16 weeks"

Will this work for a youthful feeling 59 year old? :lol:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I think I broke my collarbone just reading your post. But I will give it go when it heals. Thanks!

PS: What about crunches or something to keep my six-pack from turning into a keg?
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

yeah it sounds like a lot of work
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Toons wrote:"I raised my bench press from 150 lbs to 310 lbs in 16 weeks"

Will this work for a youthful feeling 59 year old? :lol:
I turned 58 last month, didn't feel too "youthful" before i started the program.
gatorman
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

livesoft wrote:I think I broke my collarbone just reading your post. But I will give it go when it heals. Thanks!

PS: What about crunches or something to keep my six-pack from turning into a keg?
If you do the pulldowns as described in the book, it should get your midsection as well. Dr. McGuff is a proponent of compound exercises and his version of the pulldown is modified a bit to get the midsection. However, if it doesn't feel like you are getting enough work, I don't see any reason you couldn't add crunches.

gatorman
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Thanks, I will check it out.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

WolfpackFan wrote:yeah it sounds like a lot of work
It can be somewhat painful while you are doing it, but the short length of the workout and the fact you only workout once a week makes up for it, as do the results.
gatorman
DA

Re: Body by Science Workout

Post by DA »

gatorman wrote:Here is a link to the book:

Fitness in 12 minutes a week? Bravo Sierra :)
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D Compound exercises are the wise way to go. Wish I knew that 35+ yrs ago. Heres a very important question, concerning your "spike" in strength in 4 months Gatorman. How much do you weigh? My curiosity is if you weigh 300lbs you should be able to bench the same. JMO in my yrs of reading views on strength training. Pullups/ Benching/ Squating / +CARDIO-STRETCHING, + crunches are my suggestions. I believe the weight moving slowly is key. The 10 count you suggest from your read sounds great. If by chance some prefer a "trainer" only a CSCS* certification is whats recognized in major league "sports". There are so many uncertified "trainers" out there these days its akin to some financial planners, AS I'm sure YKWIM. www.exrx.net is a helpfull site. Diet certainly is key.......but once a week sounds "to good to be true to me" Hope this helps.
" Wealth usually leads to excess " Cicero 55 b.c
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

DA wrote:

"BS"-That is pretty much what I thought when I first heard about it, but it really does work. Those 12 minutes are pretty tough, and the gains have been real for me as reported, but I'm only one data point. My daughter and son-in-law started working out with me last week, so in a few months I'll have a couple more data points to report.

If you have an interest in getting stronger, why don't you buy the book and give it a try? Or, you could just follow the directions I posted and see what happens. There are also some videos posted on You Tube which explain the concept.

If it doesn't work for you, you can always go back to what does work for you.

Just a thought,
gatorman

P.S. Here is an example of how one young man transformed himself-

http://www.thedreamlounge.net/2010/07/2 ... l-program/

His before and after pictures will give you an idea of what can be accomplished.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

The fact that one only has to work out one day a week should make this very popular.

However, I think 4 minutes is even better:
http://www.fastexercise.com/
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

A few questions as more than doubling a bench press in 16 weeks seems, well, a bit amazing:

That was your diet? No protein shakes, etc?
What was your major source of carbs .... nuts and fruit?
What was your weight/bf% before you began the regiment?
What body type are you (e.g. ecto, meso, etc)?
What's your height?
What level of fitness did you maintain before you started the program?
Do you have pre/post pictures?
Your bench is 310 - what about your squat?
gatorman wrote:
It can be somewhat painful while you are doing it, but the short length of the workout and the fact you only workout once a week makes up for it, as do the results.
gatorman
IMHO - this is a solid sign something is wrong. Exercise should never be painful.
Last edited by XtremeSki2001 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

norookie wrote::D Compound exercises are the wise way to go. Wish I knew that 35+ yrs ago. Heres a very important question, concerning your "spike" in strength in 4 months Gatorman. How much do you weigh? My curiosity is if you weigh 300lbs you should be able to bench the same. JMO in my yrs of reading views on strength training. Pullups/ Benching/ Squating / +CARDIO-STRETCHING, + crunches are my suggestions. I believe the weight moving slowly is key. The 10 count you suggest from your read sounds great. If by chance some prefer a "trainer" only a CSCS* certification is whats recognized in major league "sports". There are so many uncertified "trainers" out there these days its akin to some financial planners, AS I'm sure YKWIM. www.exrx.net is a helpfull site. Diet certainly is key.......but once a week sounds "to good to be true to me" Hope this helps.
My strength increase may be atypical, although after reading the book I don't really think so. I was an NCAA D-1 athlete and "back in the day," could bench 385, but that was many, many years ago (1973 to be exact) so I don't know whether that is really all that relevant today.

gatorman
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:A few questions as more than doubling a bench press in 16 weeks seems, well, a bit amazing:
I am not amazed. Remember he did 15 reps at 150. He could probably do a rep at 200 or more. Maybe when he started he was sandbagging.

Also, there's different definitions of fitness, so 12 minutes a week fitness is different from run an hour every other day fitness.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

livesoft wrote:
XtremeSki2001 wrote:A few questions as more than doubling a bench press in 16 weeks seems, well, a bit amazing:
I am not amazed. Remember he did 15 reps at 150. He could probably do a rep at 200 or more. Maybe when he started he was sandbagging.

Also, there's different definitions of fitness, so 12 minutes a week fitness is different from run an hour every other day fitness.
I didn't see where he said he started out w/ 15 reps at 150. If that's the case - he didn't increase his bench by as much as he stated. When someone mentioned their bench weight, it's typically their max. So if he could do, say 225lbs once then he only increased his bench by 85 lbs in 16 weeks which seems more reasonable.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

What's your height?
gatorman wrote:
gatorman
IMHO - this is a solid sign something is wrong. Exercise should never be painful.
I get the distinct impression you are calling me a liar. Is that the case?

As to pain being a "solid sign" something is wrong, at one point in time I probably would have agreed with you. Now I think that if I don't experience muscle pain during the workout, I'm not really doing myself any good. I understand your opinion may differ. I do agree that joint pain is a definite sign of trouble.

It really is not possible to lift as described in the book without experiencing muscle pain. However, the pain ends as soon as the workout is over, except for the residual soreness always experienced after a heavy workout, which develops over the next few days. By the time the next workout rolls around, I find I'm really eager to get at it and feel great.

gatorman
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

1. Running 3 miles a day in the morning.
2. Riding bicycle to work.
3. 40 min. intense exercise.
4. Every Saturday 12-13 miles run marathon. Every Saturday.

Six pack Ed

:thumbsup
Last edited by Ed 2 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Scottner

Post by Scottner »

I set a goal for myself 3 years ago to max 300 pounds (and actually made it to 305 which I still maintain today), but I had to include isolation excises for my triceps to do so. I found my chest muscles to be less important to achieving a maximum bench press than my triceps. Interesting you were able to get there focusing solely on chest. The bench press is a good, all round upper body exercise, but is generally poor at tricep development.

I am curious about something, why does the diet avoid beans and whole grains? Beans are perhaps one of the best foods in nature to find high protein, low fat, and high fiber. Whole grains (not the refined junk found in most pastas and breads) is also a very healthy source of carbohydrates and fiber. Is the diet seeking to avoid carbs entirely?

Congrats on meeting your goal. I had to put in a lot more time than 15 minutes a week to achieve mine!
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

livesoft wrote:

Livesoft- I started off doing 15 reps @150, which felt pretty heavy. After 16 weeks I could do 15 reps @310. When I started I could probably have done 5 or 6 reps @ 225 or so, not really sure, but I've always been pretty strong. At that time I was pretty deconditioned, hadn't worked out for about a year. I have no idea what my one rep max was or is, and have no intention of finding out. After many years of working out, playing sports and just experiencing general wear and tear on my body, my main aim was to get stronger without hurting myself. I think I've accomplished that goal, feeling better than I have in years.
gatorman
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

Congratulations sir. Doing 15 reps of 310 at your age is quite a feat. You're stronger than a lot of NFL players. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? I imagine at least 225lbs lean.
DA

Post by DA »

gatorman wrote:
DA wrote:

"BS"-That is pretty much what I thought when I first heard about it, but it really does work. Those 12 minutes are pretty tough, and the gains have been real for me as reported, but I'm only one data point. My daughter and son-in-law started working out with me last week, so in a few months I'll have a couple more data points to report.
gatorman, I am happy for your success. Just be sure not to neglect that muscle that beats inside your chest.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

You have my admiration.

I've been exercising daily since 18 (and it works great -- I'm 132* now.)

1) I ran across the "Body By Science" thingie here on Bogleheads, and I've modified my exercise routine to:

2) 40 minutes of weight machines, bar dips, pushups and pull ups once a week, until the muscle groups are singing and I'm sitting against a wall in exhausted disorientation.

3) One light fifteen-minute workout (bar dips, pushups, sit-ups) three days later.

One hour of brisk walking each day.

So far, it works like a charm. Like it much better than my earlier three-day a week routine. got to a point where I was maniacally doing 100 chin-ups every other day, and one of the rotator cuffs began protesting.

Fifty pull ups once a week seems to be about right. The cuff has calmed down.

* Actually, I'm 50% of that age. I'm not working to add weight and generally don't. After a couple more months (I've been at this routine eight weeks), I'll do some experimenting. Lastly: I'm 6' 2 1/2" and weight 168. Several years ago I was 207 with cholesterol of 237 -- the price paid for having small children and taking them to McDonalds too much.
fluffyistaken

Post by fluffyistaken »

Gatorman, it sounds like you had close to 15@310 (15@315 -- three plates to a side?) in you all along and this was just the first time you focused on the bench press and kept track of your progress. I'd be comfortable in saying that nobody can double their bench press in 16 weeks to 15@315 regardless of program or even steroid use for that matter. The only exception would be a naturally extremely strong individual who never did weights before or at least not in very very long time. That way the muscle potential is already there and it's just a matter of "teaching" the nervous system to efficiently recruit those muscles.

In any case 15@315 is crazy strong, probably on par or better than average NFL lineman, as somebody mentioned, so congrats!
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

fluffyistaken wrote:Gatorman, it sounds like you had close to 15@310 (15@315 -- three plates to a side?) in you all along and this was just the first time you focused on the bench press and kept track of your progress. I'd be comfortable in saying that nobody can double their bench press in 16 weeks to 15@315 regardless of program or even steroid use for that matter. The only exception would be a naturally extremely strong individual who never did weights before or at least not in very very long time. That way the muscle potential is already there and it's just a matter of "teaching" the nervous system to efficiently recruit those muscles.

In any case 15@315 is crazy strong, probably on par or better than average NFL lineman, as somebody mentioned, so congrats!
I think you are underestimating their strength. Tim Tebow can bench better than 400, which was the maximum the Gator strength staff would let him lift. I remember a few years ago reading about a guard at Arizona State who said he could bench 500, so 310 is not all that much. Most NFL linemen can probably bench a lot more than 310.

gatorman
leo383

Post by leo383 »

[/quote]
gatorman, I am happy for your success. Just be sure not to neglect that muscle that beats inside your chest.[/quote]

A lot of the new research in fitness suggests that weight training like gatorman is doing is every bit as good for the heart as cardio.

The stimulative effect of all of this breaking down and building up once per week is apparently good for the heart. As is the creation of all of the new muscle that needs new blood supply.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

gatorman wrote:

What's your height?
gatorman wrote:
gatorman
I get the distinct impression you are calling me a liar. Is that the case?

As to pain being a "solid sign" something is wrong, at one point in time I probably would have agreed with you. Now I think that if I don't experience muscle pain during the workout, I'm not really doing myself any good. I understand your opinion may differ. I do agree that joint pain is a definite sign of trouble.

It really is not possible to lift as described in the book without experiencing muscle pain. However, the pain ends as soon as the workout is over, except for the residual soreness always experienced after a heavy workout, which develops over the next few days. By the time the next workout rolls around, I find I'm really eager to get at it and feel great.

gatorman
No, of course not. However, I think for readers to understand whether they can expect similar results - the various important variables need to be considered (my questions). Maybe you're 6'6", 300lbs and 25% bodyfat? See what I mean?

I personally believe muscle "pain" during a workout is a bad sign. Muscle "soreness" post workout is normal in the rebuilding process of the muscle.

If you want my personal opinion, I actually don't like many of these "get big quick" programs. Unless you're a D1 athlete preparing for the season or trying to get bigger - it seems silly for the average person to bulk up. I don't feel it's very sustainable and eating little to no carbohydrates is not healthy in my opinion.

At the same time, while I dislike many "get thin quick" or "get big quick" programs - if these programs is what gets people out to exercise ... so be it.

EDIT: Tim Tebow is a beast, but he's also a professional football player.
Last edited by XtremeSki2001 on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norookie

Post by norookie »

:D We still do not know what you weigh? 2 folks inquired. The stats IIRC is a full squat (thighs parrallel to the floor 0R lower!) = great condition if its twice your weight . I Forget the other stats for bench press, (150% 0f you body weight IIRC?) Those are the only two real* stats I recall reading solid info about. My lifting days were built around the squat.~
Last edited by norookie on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottner

Post by Scottner »

fluffyistaken wrote:In any case 15@315 is crazy strong, probably on par or better than average NFL lineman, as somebody mentioned, so congrats!
There are only a handful of individuals at my gym (a fairly large gym too), that I've seen with 3 plates to a side. Even then they will either max that or do just a few reps with it. None are close to 58 years young either.

15 reps @ 315 is crazy strong in my realm of the universe as well. That's a feat most weightlifters training for years would be jealous of.
Scottner

Post by Scottner »

norookie wrote::D We still do not know what you weigh? 2 folks inquired. The stats IIRC is a full squat (thighs parrallel to the floor 0R lower!) = great condition if its twice your weight . I Forget the other stats for bench press, (150% 0f you body weight IIRC?) Those are the only two real* stats I recall reading solid info about. My lifting days were built around the squat.~
I'm not sure about squats, but 150% of body weight was always what I understood for bench, which is why I had 300 as my target max and stopped there. A ripped pec is very painful I understand!
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Scottner wrote:
norookie wrote::D We still do not know what you weigh? 2 folks inquired. The stats IIRC is a full squat (thighs parrallel to the floor 0R lower!) = great condition if its twice your weight . I Forget the other stats for bench press, (150% 0f you body weight IIRC?) Those are the only two real* stats I recall reading solid info about. My lifting days were built around the squat.~
I'm not sure about squats, but 150% of body weight was always what I understood for bench, which is why I had 300 as my target max and stopped there. A ripped pec is very painful I understand!
For an adult male for someone to be considered "Advanced" you're looking for a squat of double their body weight. For bench press, you're pretty spot on.
norookie

Post by norookie »

Thats what I recall. Of course my knees are not what I can call well cared for having that as a goal and ...........well you know. :?
brxn

Post by brxn »

15 reps at 310, I would like to see a video of this
RezH

Post by RezH »

Not saying the program doesn't work, but I think you are a fairly large man who was always reasonably strong, just probably deconditioned. Muscle memory is a funny thing.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Gatorman:

Congradulation. I have never lifted regularly, as after about a month my shoulders begin hurting....time to back off.

I am going to start a new thread, as to not hijack this about the weightlifting. I am looking for general fitness, weight control, muscle tone, etc.

Ed
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

When I'm in shape I'm around 250. Right now I'm probably about 280 . I'm 6'1" tall.
gatorman
norookie

Post by norookie »

gatorman wrote:
"When I'm in shape" I'm around 250. Right now I'm probably about 280 . I'm 6'1" tall.
gatorman
No big Deal I hope.........if you weigh close to 300 your benching it should come easier than someone who weighs 200 right? If a 200lb person has to get up after a fall they should be able to bench 200lbs. LEVERAGE not considered. Consistancy and variation in exercise is the key IMO. No "frequent" same motion injury (RPSI). Good Luck! Really! Diet as you say is key#1. Tired bad, have to sign off.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

Scottner wrote:
fluffyistaken wrote:In any case 15@315 is crazy strong, probably on par or better than average NFL lineman, as somebody mentioned, so congrats!
There are only a handful of individuals at my gym (a fairly large gym too), that I've seen with 3 plates to a side. Even then they will either max that or do just a few reps with it. None are close to 58 years young either.

15 reps @ 315 is crazy strong in my realm of the universe as well. That's a feat most weightlifters training for years would be jealous of.
Scottner- I've lifted off and on since I was 15, I'm 58 now. For a long period, from my teens into my late 30's I was a pretty serious lifter. So, yes there is some muscle memory, as others have intimated. There also have been some injuries, which limit some of my lifting.

The aspect of the workout I like the most is that I've been able to stick with it without getting hurt. Over the years, I've often been limited by injuries. I think the slow motion aspect of it minmizes those and I think the low number of reps limits overuse problems.

I also think that the average person, and I accept the premise that I'm not average, will benefit from this program by not overtraining, getting a sufficient stimulus to produce the desired response, strength, and getting sufficient recovery time.

My particular results are not the issue, except for me. Everyone's results will vary and will be determined by their particular genome. The real question is whether it is an effective and sustainable program. I think it is, but for each individual there is one good way to determine if it will work for them. Give it a try.

gatorman
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

I'd like to see video or some other evidence as well. I am 31 and lift just about every day, and could not get close to 15@310. I do very heavy chest lifting every week, along with every other muscle group.

Shawne Merriman of the Chargers was in my gym last week, he was doing 3 plates, and he could not get close to 15. I am not sure how a 58 year old doing one group set of lifting a week for 16 weeks can get there.

It cannot be that simple. Be it genetics, diet, your history of lifting over 40 years, whatever. Something else is making up a bulk of this feat if it is in fact legit.

Just my 2 cents, and I consider myself a serious weight lifter.

Either way, well done and congrats. I'd be happy to do 5@315 someday.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

When you say "bench press" are you talking about *barbell* bench press, or some sort of machine? How strict is your form? Are you bouncing the weight off your chest, or doing a strict touch-and-go?

Since it only took you sixteen weeks to go from 1x15x150 to 1x15x310, you must have been able to increase the weight 10 pounds each workout. (150 + 10*16 = 310)

So you lifted for 4 months straight, doing a 10 pound linear progression on bench press?

That's impressive.
RezH

Post by RezH »

To each his own, but being able to do 15 reps at 315 is nice, but how is your bodyfat? At 58, overall function should be the concern. A paleo diet is however the right way to eat in my opinion. I actually follow the Primal Blueprint. No grains, period.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

RezH wrote:I actually follow the Primal Blueprint. No grains, period.
Not trying to hi-jack the thread and I think my point is relevant.

Just out of curiosity, can you post an average day meal via your meal plan? I'm always surprised by anyone who can sustain a low/no carb diet for the long-term. How long have you been doing this? I'm used to doing it when I'm cutting, but I don't think I could do it forever :lol:
RezH

Post by RezH »

A Paleo/Primal diet's main feature is high levels of fat from oils (EVOO, coconut, butter) and meat. If you're one to buy into high fat = bad, then it wouldn't be for you. Carbs come from unlimited vegetables (save for starchy vegs). A shortage of carbs (under 150g per day, less if you really want to drop weight) should cause your body to use fat stores instead for energy. Also, never eating a high amount of carbs controls spikes in insulin, which is the accepted reason for body fat storage.

If you're someone who likes to run 5 miles a day or bikes for long distances, the diet would be difficult. The Primal lifestyle advocates lots of walking, two short strength sessions per week, and one sprint session weekly. Daily lengthy cardio would probably require more carbs.

Mark's Daily Apple is the main site for this type of diet.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

I think the repeated questions about my results are hijacking the thread, which really is about a new way to lift weights which minimizes time in the gym and the potential for injury and overuse. So, I'm not going to answer any more questions about myself, but I would like to continue the discussion as to the ideas contained in the Body by Science book with anyone who is interested.

gatorman
arthurb999

Post by arthurb999 »

DA wrote: gatorman, I am happy for your success. Just be sure not to neglect that muscle that beats inside your chest.
If he's doing the high intensity lifts described.... his heart and lungs are working harder than any slow jog cardio would produce.

People usually confuse "cardio" with endurance traininig. A sprint session or high intensity weight lifting will work your circulatory system a lot more than a slow jog.

I've personally have had great success following a primal diet and the exercise plan (a lot less exercise than I was used to)... went from 196 at 19%bf to 180 at 10% over 18 months. Huge change.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

RezH wrote:A shortage of carbs (under 150g per day, less if you really want to drop weight) should cause your body to use fat stores instead for energy.
:shock: That's impressive. I bet you'd lose weight like it's your job!
JasonF

Post by JasonF »

I ordered the book last night and finished it this morning. Although I've been lifting on and off for 25 years (I'm 41) I have recently stalled in my workout routine due to work, family and community commitments. Compound exercises have always been the foundation of my workouts, and I like the fact that, if done with the proper intensity, resistance training should be done only once per week.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to put together a template and begin the program. I have a well-stocked home gym (will have to sub squats for leg press) so I'm excited to try it out.
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

arthurb999 wrote:
DA wrote: gatorman, I am happy for your success. Just be sure not to neglect that muscle that beats inside your chest.
If he's doing the high intensity lifts described.... his heart and lungs are working harder than any slow jog cardio would produce.

People usually confuse "cardio" with endurance traininig. A sprint session or high intensity weight lifting will work your circulatory system a lot more than a slow jog.

I've personally have had great success following a primal diet and the exercise plan (a lot less exercise than I was used to)... went from 196 at 19%bf to 180 at 10% over 18 months. Huge change.
The key is to do the exercises with preferably no or, at worst, minimal rest between exercises, which can be a challenge in a commercial gym situation.
gatorman
Topic Author
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

JasonF wrote:I ordered the book last night and finished it this morning. Although I've been lifting on and off for 25 years (I'm 41) I have recently stalled in my workout routine due to work, family and community commitments. Compound exercises have always been the foundation of my workouts, and I like the fact that, if done with the proper intensity, resistance training should be done only once per week.

Thanks for the link, I'm going to put together a template and begin the program. I have a well-stocked home gym (will have to sub squats for leg press) so I'm excited to try it out.
You are a fast reader! Let us know how it works for you.
gatorman
leo383

Post by leo383 »

[/quote]

The key is to do the exercises with preferably no or, at worst, minimal rest between exercises, which can be a challenge in a commercial gym situation.
gatorman[/quote]

Another important bit to this kind of workout is the slowness of the lifts. Getting rid of momentum really maximizes the efficiency of each lift.

Also, the focus on never allowing the weight to rely on bones for support, and only on muscle, makes this quick kind of workout effective.