Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sagefemme

Re: Bird watchers – what birds are you seeing?

Post by Sagefemme »

dratkinson wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:59 pm
Sagefemme wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:15 am
For some reason I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the pictures (as opposed to links) into my post. Can anyone direct me to step by step instructions? I think I've done it in the past, which makes it surprising I couldn't do it here.
Your images are missing some of the closing stuff.

First image example:
--You entered:               "...mp90/img]"
--But this was required: "...mp90.jpg[/img]" ...the missing stuff: ".jpg[".

Second image example: ditto.

Idea. If you create a free postimages.org account, then you can group all of your pictures by categories/topics.
--You will not need to remember individual image links, only your account id ...which you'll logon to again find all of your posted pictures.
--And you'll be able to store additional pictures for additional topics/posts.

How do I know you are not using a postimages account?
--If you were, the image link would look like: "...postimg.cc/ABCXYZ/fVZ7mp90.jpg".
--Where "ABCXYZ" is your account directory/folder.

Notice in LadyGeeks "code" examples, there are directories listed before the image.jpg ...which she shows correctly formatted.
Believe it or not I DID use postimages.com, that's how I got URLs for these two photos that were on my laptop. But clearly I didn't really know what I was doing, and I used the site without creating an account, which probably means I didn't have full functionality. I have now set up an account, and I'll do my best to learn how to use it!

Anyway, thank you for all the useful posting advice!
Fiddle-Bow

Post by Fiddle-Bow »

Saw a Swallowtail Kite yesterday while out biking in North Florida. Once you’ve seen one in flight you will easily recognize it. This one was flying low just above the tree tops.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Small redheaded wood pecker.
Ruby throated hummingbird".
brucebuck1010

Post by brucebuck1010 »

This Northern Cardinal is right outside my window. 4 eggs that are at least a week old. I trimmed some branches to get a better view. She was skittish at first, but now is okay with me being there. The male shows up every now and then to provide food.

Last edited by brucebuck1010 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

brucebuck1010 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:31 pm This Northern Cardinal is right outside my window. 4 eggs that are at least a week old. I trimmed some branches to get a better view. She was skittish at first, but now is okay with me being there. The male shows up every now and then to provide food.

http://oldbuckeye.com/Final_IMG_4625.jpg
Good stuff. Hope the littles ones hatch and fledge. cardinals are my favorite, despite their tendency for 5 AM choir practice.

What type of shrub is that? Now that we own our own place, i really want a few shrubs that are hospitable to nesting of native songbirds.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

brucebuck1010 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 3:31 pm This Northern Cardinal is right outside my window. 4 eggs that are at least a week old. I trimmed some branches to get a better view. She was skittish at first, but now is okay with me being there. The male shows up every now and then to provide food.

http://oldbuckeye.com/Final_IMG_4625.jpg
Nice! :beer
ExTx

Post by ExTx »

Sandhill Cranes, everyday in my backyard. always in pairs, sometimes with 2 chicks.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

While sitting at a stoplight today I saw a small bird chasing a turkey vulture over the fields and roadway. Looked like the smaller bird may have been a red winged blackbird. I've seen sparrow sized birds mob hawks before, but that's the first time I can recall a turkey vulture being the target.
brucebuck1010

Post by brucebuck1010 »

InvisibleAerobar wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:09 pm
Good stuff. Hope the littles ones hatch and fledge. cardinals are my favorite, despite their tendency for 5 AM choir practice.

What type of shrub is that? Now that we own our own place, i really want a few shrubs that are hospitable to nesting of native songbirds.
Sorry, I don't know what kind of shrub that is - it's green! :o
brucebuck1010

Post by brucebuck1010 »

Got two baby Northern Cardinals that hatched this morning. Two more eggs to go!!

Last edited by brucebuck1010 on Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

brucebuck1010 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:27 pm Got two baby Northern Cardinals that hatched this morning. Two more eggs to go!!
That's great. We had a Cardinal nest outside out kitchen one year but I think the snakes got them. Since then the Robins have taken over the site; they had one brood earlier this summer. I keep evicting House Wrens from the Bluebird box in front. For some reason the BBs have skipped our property this year. More neighbors with boxes and probably tree cavities available because I see and hear them everywhere.

House finches are more prolific than rabbits here - probably second or third brood already; I think they nest in the oaks although I've seen a small nest in one of the pear trees in front but it is too high to see who is in it. The material and construction looks like House Finch.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

brucebuck1010 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:27 pm Got two baby Northern Cardinals that hatched this morning. Two more eggs to go!!
http://oldbuckeye.com/final_IMG_4691.jpg
wonderful
love baby birds
cute "peepers"..."jeep jeep jeep".

thanks for the great pics.
how did you take the pictures to get so close?

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
brucebuck1010

Post by brucebuck1010 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:34 pm thanks for the great pics.
how did you take the pictures to get so close?

j
A week or so ago we realized the nest was in a bush right in front of our spare bedroom window, because the female would rush out of the bushes if we walked by. The nest is about 1.5 feet from the window. So I trimmed the bush back on the side exposed to the window. At first she didn't like us there, but she's got used to us. We see the male a few times here and there. I feed them blueberries on the outside window sill. I am by no means a "birder" but I always enjoy taking pictures of new things - been doing that all my life.
Candor

Post by Candor »

clip651 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:39 pm While sitting at a stoplight today I saw a small bird chasing a turkey vulture over the fields and roadway. Looked like the smaller bird may have been a red winged blackbird. I've seen sparrow sized birds mob hawks before, but that's the first time I can recall a turkey vulture being the target.
RWBB's can punch above their weight and will try to run off any bird of prey that is bold enough to enter their territory. After a few minutes of harassment the juvenile Bald Eagle in the bottom pictures soon realized it was no match and moved on. :D

The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
InvisibleAerobar

Thanks for the photo updates, both of the hatchling cardinals and the RWBBs.

The latter is also known to swoop humans, though thankfully not as potentially painful as Aussie magpies,
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Candor wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:17 pm
clip651 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 5:39 pm While sitting at a stoplight today I saw a small bird chasing a turkey vulture over the fields and roadway. Looked like the smaller bird may have been a red winged blackbird. I've seen sparrow sized birds mob hawks before, but that's the first time I can recall a turkey vulture being the target.
RWBB's can punch above their weight and will try to run off any bird of prey that is bold enough to enter their territory. After a few minutes of harassment the juvenile Bald Eagle in the bottom pictures soon realized it was no match and moved on. :D

Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.
What camera and lens did you use?

I've seen all types of smaller/tiny birds harass and chase predators out of their nesting area.
Arizona Wrens and other Wrens
Barn Swallows (incredible flyers)
And many more.

Targets: Hawks, ravens (large, sometimes a mated pair get chased off), Falcons, etc.

j :D
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Great Blue Herons doing slow cruises along the tree lined river/stream that runs along our property and the valley. Like slow B52 aircraft bombing runs in formation. They are incredible birds. When they land and gather, they stand tall and very still in the pastures.
(online pic, not mine)

Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

http://oldbuckeye.com/final_IMG_4691.jpg
How exciting! Thanks for posting.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 7:36 am
Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

I've seen all types of smaller/tiny birds harass and chase predators out of their nesting area.
And many more.

Targets: Hawks, ravens (large, sometimes a mated pair get chased off), Falcons, etc.

Thanks, the osprey was with a Canon 1D Mark IV and 500mm F/4 L v1 with a 1.4x converter and the eagle was with a Canon 40D with the 500mm plus converter.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Candor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:04 pm
Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

And many more.

Thanks, the osprey was with a Canon 1D Mark IV and 500mm F/4 L v1 with a 1.4x converter and the eagle was with a Canon 40D with the 500mm plus converter.
handheld or good tripod with a gimbal?

nice setup. very versatile. great resolution on that 1D.
beautiful lens!
Candor

Post by Candor »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:31 pm
Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

And many more.

beautiful lens!
The first shot was with a Gitzo tripod and a Wimberley gimbal. The last 3 were on a monopod with an RRS head which is what I use 90% of the time. The lens is the older version so it's a little heavier than the current models so I only use it handheld if I'm trying to get some fast action like a diving osprey or something similar. The tripod setup is too heavy and uncomfortable to hike very far so the monopod works much better for me if I want to go any distance.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Candor wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 4:41 pm
Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

And many more.

beautiful lens!
The first shot was with a Gitzo tripod and a Wimberley gimbal. The last 3 were on a monopod with an RRS head which is what I use 90% of the time. The lens is the older version so it's a little heavier than the current models so I only use it handheld if I'm trying to get some fast action like a diving osprey or something similar. The tripod setup is too heavy and uncomfortable to hike very far so the monopod works much better for me if I want to go any distance.
I get that way with my heavier of our two spotting scopes and often take the smaller one which has a fairly light tri and a light Sirui head. I've been meaning to see if I can rig my old golf hand cart in a way for lugging the heavier one. It would work on many trails but once you get "off the trail" or into wet areas it might struggle.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

And many more.

beautiful lens!
DW uses a Benro Carbon Fiber Gimbal on a heavier Manfrotto tripod.
We've tried a lot of gimbal heads and the Benro is the smothest and lightest.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Great for animal and bird photography in the way it tracks.
It's too bulky and heavy for me but worth it for her. Canon full frame with a heavy 600mm fast lens. She takes great images.

BIF photography is very specialized and takes talent and patience and excellent gear. I've never done much of it but admire others that do.
Candor

Post by Candor »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 5:09 pm
Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

And many more.

beautiful lens!
I get that way with my heavier of our two spotting scopes and often take the smaller one which has a fairly light tri and a light Sirui head. I've been meaning to see if I can rig my old golf hand cart in a way for lugging the heavier one. It would work on many trails but once you get "off the trail" or into wet areas it might struggle.
I've run across quite a few people with various carts and contraptions that they have rigged to carry their equipment on well maintained trails especially in Florida. One lady I passed a while ago was pushing a baby stroller loaded up with all her gear. E-bikes are also something that I'm seeing more these days.

I still prefer to just carry it, like you said carts, etc. aren't very practical in more rugged terrain and I like to have my gear at the ready if I unexpectedly run into something interesting.
Candor

Post by Candor »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:12 pm
Incredible pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

And many more.

beautiful lens!
DW uses a Benro Carbon Fiber Gimbal on a heavier Manfrotto tripod.
We've tried a lot of gimbal heads and the Benro is the smothest and lightest.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3 ... UTF8&psc=1
Great for animal and bird photography in the way it tracks.
It's too bulky and heavy for me but worth it for her. Canon full frame with a heavy 600mm fast lens. She takes great images.

BIF photography is very specialized and takes talent and patience and excellent gear. I've never done much of it but admire others that do.
I'm starting to get to the point where I would appreciate a little less weight in my gear so some of the new lenses are a temptation. I would struggle making a decision between the new 500mm and 600mm. You can't go wrong with either.

BIF is a lot of fun and frustration and good gear lessens the frustration. I came across this guy some time ago and got a chuckle out of his set up.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Candor wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:26 pm <snip>

I'm starting to get to the point where I would appreciate a little less weight in my gear so some of the new lenses are a temptation. I would struggle making a decision between the new 500mm and 600mm. You can't go wrong with either.

BIF is a lot of fun and frustration and good gear lessens the frustration. I came across this guy some time ago and got a chuckle out of his set up.

That is an impressive camera setup for "serious" BIF (bird in flight) photography.

I've tried cutting down on weight and bulk with carrying 2 Olympia (micro 4/3) bodies and lens on each, instead of 2 full frame Canon's with "L" zooms. But, the resolution that I'm used to is sorely lacking when I post process. However, DW is dedicated to carrying her 2 full frame Canon's and all the gear with it, and it shows in her excellent imagery.

Thanks for posting great stuff.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^Candor:

Thanks for posting your bold RW Blackbird vs. eagle photos above! Great shots. :beer

Recent sightings for me include a small flock of American White Pelicans, Cooper's Hawk, House Wren, Double-crested Cormorant and the usual suspects.
InvisibleAerobar

If I want to spend no more than $2,500 (would be perfectly fine buying used, and obviously, less cost is better), what is a good option?

I don't necessarily need a set-up that gives good BiF performance. I just want fine feather details in lower light conditions (though perhaps this is asking too much?).

Something like a Nikon 5xxx DSLR paired with lens that go up to 500 mm? Or perhaps there's a comparable mirrorless option?

I'm coming from a significantly under-powered super-zoom whose auto-focus function is simply unusable for most bird photography.
iceport

Post by iceport »

This isn't up to the phenomenally high photographic standards of this amazing thread, but this was a surprising sight yesterday afternoon:

A big barred owl splayed out flat on the ground in my back yard in the broad daylight of late afternoon.

I can only guess that this strange behavior was prompted by the heat and humidity. It didn't look distressed in any way, and just calmly scanned the yard using its famous head rotating capability. I had just jumped out of the shower, dripping wet, when the big bird caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I managed to snap a few rushed pics running from window to window in my underwear before I apparently spooked the bird and it flew back up into the trees.

Just an hour or so before this shot, I saw a rabbit with its legs stretched out in a shady spot near the house. I've often seen chipmunks stretched out similarly on various rocks when it gets hot. I think they resort to that behavior when it gets really hot and they try to dissipate some excess body heat.

There's been a rotating roster of birds of prey in the neighborhood over the last few years. For a couple of years, we had great horned owls nesting nearby, with young owls screeching for food at all hours of the night. That ended in 2022. Last year we had hawks hanging around all summer, no owls. This year, it's apparently the barred owls' turn. A wildlife expert in the area told me barred owls and great horned owls tend to avoid each other, so they don't nest in the same area at the same time.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

^Iceport - great owl photo! :beer

I've seen rabbits and squirrels relaxing and stretched out sometimes in the summer. Once I thought a squirrel doing that was sick but since then concluded they do that to rest and chill out since they eventually return to normal activity.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:07 pm ^Iceport - great owl photo! :beer

I've seen rabbits and squirrels relaxing and stretched out sometimes in the summer. Once I thought a squirrel doing that was sick but since then concluded they do that to rest and chill out since they eventually return to normal activity.
We've periodically had a GH Owl down in the yard during the day. Sometimes they are young owls that are clueless about the rules of Owldom ("we only work night shift"). Other times it is an adult who rolls back and forth in the dust somewhere. I learned that they do this sometimes to remove mites.

Speaking of clueless first year birds. We had a small flock of recently fledged Purple Martens checking out our Marten house. It is no longer viable for Martens due to surrounding trees so other birds take over; House Wrens lately. But the PMs don't know yet about the need for an open flyway.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

iceport wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:12 pm This isn't up to the phenomenally high photographic standards of this amazing thread, but this was a surprising sight yesterday afternoon:

A big barred owl splayed out flat on the ground in my back yard in the broad daylight of late afternoon.

I can only guess that this strange behavior was prompted by the heat and humidity. It didn't look distressed in any way, and just calmly scanned the yard using its famous head rotating capability. I had just jumped out of the shower, dripping wet, when the big bird caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I managed to snap a few rushed pics running from window to window in my underwear before I apparently spooked the bird and it flew back up into the trees.

Just an hour or so before this shot, I saw a rabbit with its legs stretched out in a shady spot near the house. I've often seen chipmunks stretched out similarly on various rocks when it gets hot. I think they resort to that behavior when it gets really hot and they try to dissipate some excess body heat.

There's been a rotating roster of birds of prey in the neighborhood over the last few years. For a couple of years, we had great horned owls nesting nearby, with young owls screeching for food at all hours of the night. That ended in 2022. Last year we had hawks hanging around all summer, no owls. This year, it's apparently the barred owls' turn. A wildlife expert in the area told me barred owls and great horned owls tend to avoid each other, so they don't nest in the same area at the same time.
Very nice.
Thanks for the picture.
j
iceport

Post by iceport »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:17 pm
JAZZISCOOL wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:07 pm ^Iceport - great owl photo! :beer

We've periodically had a GH Owl down in the yard during the day. Sometimes they are young owls that are clueless about the rules of Owldom ("we only work night shift"). Other times it is an adult who rolls back and forth in the dust somewhere. I learned that they do this sometimes to remove mites.
Yeah, during the couple of years we had great horned owls here I used to see them in broad daylight all the time. The wildlife expert I know assures me they only come out at night, but around here, they were also around during the day quite often. Sometimes they were being badgered by the crows. Other times they were hunting.

In practically the same spot in the back yard, I had a great horned owl dive down right in front of me, mid-morning, while I was washing dishes. Within seconds, it had a garter snake in its beak. Here's a series of very rough-looking pics I managed to snap through the water-spotted window. (Click the thumbnails for larger images, but they're still seriously marred by water spots on the window. :( )

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Nice. :thumbsup It's far better to take the shot in poor conditions than to miss the opportunity.

The owl is keeping an eye on that grackle(left side of 6th picture) to make sure his breakfast stays with him.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
iceport

Post by iceport »

As long as I'm at it, here's a pair of Tom turkeys that strolled across the same back yard in February 2023:

WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Along the lines of birds of prey ... this time of year I hear an Eastern Screech Owl around 4 AM. I've never seen one, but have heard them in the AM for many years now.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:53 pm Nice. :thumbsup It's far better to take the shot in poor conditions than to miss the opportunity.

The owl is keeping an eye on that grackle(left side of 6th picture) to make sure his breakfast stays with him.
Iceport: thanks for the additional owl photos! He/she sure is watching that grackle! Nature is so full of surprises.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

iceport wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:12 pm This isn't up to the phenomenally high photographic standards of this amazing thread, but this was a surprising sight yesterday afternoon:
This is so amazing! What a treat to see. The term for this is "splooting". Mammals and birds do it to cool down and/or relax (guessing mostly the former if displayed by wildlife in the open).

I have barred owls in my area but have only ever heard them, never seen.
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

sevenseas wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:37 pm
This is so amazing! What a treat to see. The term for this is "splooting". Mammals and birds do it to cool down and/or relax (guessing mostly the former if displayed by wildlife in the open).

Excellent! I've learned a new word today: "splooting".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splooting ... pancaking.
iceport

Post by iceport »

sevenseas wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:37 pm

Yes! That's the term I was thinking of, but I couldn't remember it. I also had never heard that birds can do that, too. Interesting.

We've also been hearing owls at night, especially around 3 - 4 AM. Apparently, they're barred owls. During the two years we had great horned owls nesting nearby we only heard an eerie screeching sound from the owls.
Last edited by iceport on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

WoostaGal wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:38 pm Along the lines of birds of prey ... this time of year I hear an Eastern Screech Owl around 4 AM. I've never seen one, but have heard them in the AM for many years now.
I thought I was hearing a red-tailed hawk over the holiday weekend, which was odd because I'm just enough outside of their normal habitat for it to be strange to see one in my neighborhood. Turns out, it was a mocking bird who has decided his entire call cycle is mimicking red-tailed and Cooper's hawks. At least he's not mimicking alarms, given that he's taken up in a tree outside my bedroom window. I can hear him calling right now too.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mudpuppy wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:35 pm
WoostaGal wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:38 pm Along the lines of birds of prey ... this time of year I hear an Eastern Screech Owl around 4 AM. I've never seen one, but have heard them in the AM for many years now.
I thought I was hearing a red-tailed hawk over the holiday weekend, which was odd because I'm just enough outside of their normal habitat for it to be strange to see one in my neighborhood. Turns out, it was a mocking bird who has decided his entire call cycle is mimicking red-tailed and Cooper's hawks. At least he's not mimicking alarms, given that he's taken up in a tree outside my bedroom window. I can hear him calling right now too.
I have one in the yard that is getting pretty good at Osprey.
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Ha !!! ha!! I had an apartment once where a mocking bird would start singing like crazy at 2 AM.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

WoostaGal wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 5:08 pm
Ha !!! ha!! I had an apartment once where a mocking bird would start singing like crazy at 2 AM.
Is this what that mockingbird sounded like?
Youtube: mockingbird singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNNX3f3_svo
WoostaGal

Post by WoostaGal »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:57 pm
Is this what that mockingbird sounded like?
Youtube: mockingbird singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNNX3f3_svo
Too funny! Yes, I feel a night of sleeplessness coming on just listening to this.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

He is at least less annoying (easier to ignore and sleep through) than the year that a bird would peck on my bedroom window as soon as the sun rose, which was well before my alarm went off. Thankfully, that bit of "bird culture" was not passed down to subsequent generations.
Barefoot

Post by Barefoot »

I was in Strasbourg on the France/Germany border a couple of weeks ago, and saw many storks nesting in the treetops and on buildings
Topic Author
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

Barefoot wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:23 pm I was in Strasbourg on the France/Germany border a couple of weeks ago, and saw many storks nesting in the treetops and on buildings
Wow. That sounds amazing.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

In the local wetlands, saw an Anhinga in the classic pose and a few Limpkins which might have been blown further north because of Beryl.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Heard a different bird call today and went outside to check it out: Mississippi Kite

But also a moment later higher up a Bald Eagle flying over the house.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.