[Help with gifted I-Bonds for beneficiaries unable to to open TreasuryDirect accounts]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
akrasna

[Help with gifted I-Bonds for beneficiaries unable to to open TreasuryDirect accounts]

Post by akrasna »

[Split into new topic from Subject: Help! - Did I mess up I-Bonds (Gifts) - moderator Kendall]

I have a semi-similar issue.

I bought gifts for my children before they had their own accounts.

The Treasury site has rejected/locked their accounts, probably do to the fact that they have dual residency/citizenship - but they are US citizens and file US taxes via a US residence.

I have been trying to get their accounts accepted, including notarized documents etc, so far no luck.

How can I "get" to these bonds? I am willing to not have them go to my kids, I just don't want to "lose" them.

Any ideas, besides waiting till I die and then have it as part of my estate?

Thanks
Iorek

Re: [Help with gifted I-Bonds for beneficiaries unable to to open TreasuryDirect accounts]

Post by Iorek »

Have you tried calling or writing Treasury Direct?
toddthebod

Re: [Help with gifted I-Bonds for beneficiaries unable to to open TreasuryDirect accounts]

Post by toddthebod »

Did you attempt to create accounts for them directly, or did you use the "establish minor account" function only accessible through your own account?
Topic Author
akrasna

Post by akrasna »

Iorek wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:58 am Have you tried calling or writing Treasury Direct?
Hi Thanks for your response.

Writing several times - sometimes got an automated response, never human

Called twice - (got through twice called many times) each time the person did not understand and said I should sent a mail - (I have "case numbers")
Topic Author
akrasna

Post by akrasna »

toddthebod wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:09 am Did you attempt to create accounts for them directly, or did you use the "establish minor account" function only accessible through your own account?
Hi thanks

Directly. They are not minors.
The account gets created - but then when I create it I got mail that it is not activated - and need to send some things and fill out forms - which I did, including Notarized.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

akrasna wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:50 pm
Iorek wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:58 am Have you tried calling or writing Treasury Direct?
Hi Thanks for your response.

Writing several times - sometimes got an automated response, never human

Called twice - (got through twice called many times) each time the person did not understand and said I should sent a mail - (I have "case numbers")
That’s too bad. I have been able to get decent information from them by phone and email (though sometimes it takes more than one go round by email).